Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Selenium (Se) is an essential trace element having biological functions of utmost importance for human health. Different from the other (semi) metals, it is incorporated into proteins by a co-translational mechanism as part of the amino acid selenocysteine (SeCys), the 21st amino acid used for protein synthesis in humans, whereas only a few of them have been functionally characterized. Most Se-proteins participate in antioxidant defence and redox state regulation, particularly the families of more specific essential roles, such as iodothyronine deiodinases (DIOs) which are involved in thyroid hormones metabolism, GPx4 which is essential for spermatogenesis, and selenophospathe synthetases 2 (SPS2) participating in Se-protein biosynthesis.
Other Se-proteins may be involved in important biological processes, but their exact mechanism of action is still yet to be fully understood. Despite the scarce knowledge of the precise biochemical functions, a very large number of studies have been carried out in the last two decades showing that insufficient Se levels, and particularly Se-proteins, are associated with several human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and immune system disorders. In most cases, the link lies in the contrast to the oxidative stress that may be booth causing or caused by the disease. In this context, it is important to decipher whether and adequate Se status may contrast the risk factors for health disorders, or Se supplementation may improve the therapy when Se metabolism is altered.
Despite many studies that have suggested a beneficial effect from Se supplementation to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to the initially inadequate Se status. Conversely, care should be taken when using supplements because excessive Se intake leads to toxic effects, and recent studies have shown that even sub-toxic doses may be negatively impacting, for example by increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. STUDY ON THE DESTABILIZATION OF LYSOZYME AND THE CHAPERONE-LIKE ACTIVITY OF ALPHA CRYSTALLIN FROM SOKOTO RED GOAT EYE LENS» ABSTRACT Destabilization of Lysozyme and chaperone like action of alpha crystallin isolated from goat’s eye lens was investigated at various tempera...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The centers for disease control and prevention (CDC) define chronic disease as prolonged illness that do not resolve spontaneously and are ra...Continue Reading »
3. EFFECTS OF BITTER LEAF SOUP WITH GARRI ON BLOOD GLUCOSE AND GROWTH PERFORMANCES OF TYPE ONESTZ [STREPTOZOCIN] INDUCED DIABETIC RATS» ABSTRACT The effect of ethanolic leaf extract of Sphenocentrum jollyanum pierre (SPJ) on liver function and hematological indices of cadmium chloride ...Continue Reading »
4. COMPARATIVE QUANTITATIVE PHYTOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF ETHANOL EXTRACT OF Gongronema latifolium AND Allium sativum» TABLE OF CONTENTS Cover page Title page Certification i Dedication ii Acknowledgement iii Abstract iv Table of content V List of tables vi CHAPTER ONE...Continue Reading »
5. AN ASSESSMENT OF TEACHERS’ KNOWLEDGE OF TEST CONSTRUCTION PROCEDURE IN CHEMISTRY OBJECTIVE TEST IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of Study Testing has always been an integral part of the educational system since its inception. The concept (test...Continue Reading »
6. ASSESSEMENT OF INFANT AND YOUNG CHILD FEEDING PRACTICES AND NUTRITIONAL STATUS OF CHILDREN (0-23 MONTHS) IN FUNTUA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, KATSINA STAT...» ABSTRACT Appropriate feeding practices are essential for the nutrition, growth, development and survival of infants and young children.Assessment of i...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study evaluated the activity of antilipemic water extracts from leaves of Desmodium velutinum albino Wistar rats. Phytochemical analysis...Continue Reading »
8. EFFECT OF METHANOLIC LEAF EXTRACT OF ACALYPHA WILKESIANA ON WEIGHT PARAMETERS IN PARACETAMOL INDUCED HEPATOXICITY IN MALE WISTAR RATS RATS» ABSTRACT The potential effect of methanolic extract of the leaves of Acalypha wilkesiana on the weight of wistar rats was investigated. Calculated amo...Continue Reading »
9. EFFECTS OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF ORGANIC FERTILIZERS ON GROWTH PERFORMANCE, NUTRIENTS AND TOXICOLOGICAL COMPOSITION OF AMARANTHUS CAUDATUS AND AMARANTHUS...» Abstract The objective of this study is to evaluate the effect of different types organic fertilizers on growth performance, nutrient and toxicologica...Continue Reading »
10. COMBINED EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF GONGRONEMA LATIFOLIUM AND ALLIUM SATIVUM ON LIPID PROLIFE PARAMETERS ON STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC WISTAR...» TABLE OF CONTENT Title page i Cover page ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgment v Abstract vi Table of content vii CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTIO...Continue Reading »