The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References Level : BTech/BSc/BA/HND/ND.
Get the complete project »
1.1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Selenium (Se) is an essential trace element having biological functions of utmost importance for human health. Different from the other (semi) metals, it is incorporated into proteins by a co-translational mechanism as part of the amino acid selenocysteine (SeCys), the 21st amino acid used for protein synthesis in humans, whereas only a few of them have been functionally characterized. Most Se-proteins participate in antioxidant defence and redox state regulation, particularly the families of more specific essential roles, such as iodothyronine deiodinases (DIOs) which are involved in thyroid hormones metabolism, GPx4 which is essential for spermatogenesis, and selenophospathe synthetases 2 (SPS2) participating in Se-protein biosynthesis.
Other Se-proteins may be involved in important biological processes, but their exact mechanism of action is still yet to be fully understood. Despite the scarce knowledge of the precise biochemical functions, a very large number of studies have been carried out in the last two decades showing that insufficient Se levels, and particularly Se-proteins, are associated with several human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and immune system disorders. In most cases, the link lies in the contrast to the oxidative stress that may be booth causing or caused by the disease. In this context, it is important to decipher whether and adequate Se status may contrast the risk factors for health disorders, or Se supplementation may improve the therapy when Se metabolism is altered.
Despite many studies that have suggested a beneficial effect from Se supplementation to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to the initially inadequate Se status. Conversely, care should be taken when using supplements because excessive Se intake leads to toxic effects, and recent studies have shown that even sub-toxic doses may be negatively impacting, for example by increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. BRAIN ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITIES OF SIX ARTEMISININ-BASED COMBINATION THERAPIES (ACTs) IN EXPERIMENTAL MALARIA MODEL» ABSTRACT Malaria parasite has remained a menace to human immune system as it usually subjects its host to oxidative stress which in turn has an effect...Continue Reading »
78 pages | 80 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
2. EFFECT OF ETHANOL LEAF EXTRACT OF Vernonia Amygdalina ON THEOBROMINE INDUCED RENAL TOXICITY IN MALE WISTAR RATS» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction 1.1 Background of the Study In most plants synthesizing methylxanthines, caffeine becomes the principal constituent. In s...Continue Reading »
42 pages | 78 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The etiology of complex chronic diseases involves both environmental and genetic factors, with environmental influences such ...Continue Reading »
58 pages | 135 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page i Certification ii Dedication iii Acknowledgement iv Table of Contents v List of Tables vi List of Figures ix Abstract x ...Continue Reading »
60 pages | 150 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The presence of chemical constituents in plants is important for consuming as nutrition and treat...Continue Reading »
55 pages | 124 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
6. EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF GONGRONEMA LATIFOLIUM AND ALLIUM SATIVUM ON LIPID PROFILE OF RATS TREATED WITH SODIUM ARSENITE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Sodium arsenite is an inorganic compound with the formula with the formula NaASO2, it is also called ...Continue Reading »
67 pages | 100 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
7. ETHANOL LEAF EXTRACT OF Irvingia gabonensis O’Rorke Baill MITAGATES SODIUM ARSENITE-INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY IN WISTAR ALBINO RATS» ABSTRACT The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of Irvingia gabonensis O’Rorke Baill ethanol leaf extract on kidney function in sodium ...Continue Reading »
80 pages | 75 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
8. EVALUATION OF NUTRITIVE AND NON-NUTRITIVE COMPONENTS AND ANTI-DIABETIC PROPERTIES OF EDIBLE PORTIONS OF Chrysophyllum albidum FRUIT IN STREPTOZOTOCIN-...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Dietary control is vital in the management of diabetes. Reports from FAO (1998); WHO and FAO (200...Continue Reading »
225 pages | 34 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» ABSTRACT Calcium is the most important mineral in the body. The body needs calcium for normal functioning of nerves and muscles including the most imp...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 179 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
10. Garcinia kola Heckel STEM BARK ETHANOLIC EXTRACT AND ITS TRITERPENOID FRACTION PROTECTED AGAINST SODIUM ARSENITE-INDUCED HEPATOTOXICITY AND NEPHROTOXI...» ...Continue Reading »
154 pages | 68 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY