Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Selenium (Se) is an essential trace element having biological functions of utmost importance for human health. Different from the other (semi) metals, it is incorporated into proteins by a co-translational mechanism as part of the amino acid selenocysteine (SeCys), the 21st amino acid used for protein synthesis in humans, whereas only a few of them have been functionally characterized. Most Se-proteins participate in antioxidant defence and redox state regulation, particularly the families of more specific essential roles, such as iodothyronine deiodinases (DIOs) which are involved in thyroid hormones metabolism, GPx4 which is essential for spermatogenesis, and selenophospathe synthetases 2 (SPS2) participating in Se-protein biosynthesis.
Other Se-proteins may be involved in important biological processes, but their exact mechanism of action is still yet to be fully understood. Despite the scarce knowledge of the precise biochemical functions, a very large number of studies have been carried out in the last two decades showing that insufficient Se levels, and particularly Se-proteins, are associated with several human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and immune system disorders. In most cases, the link lies in the contrast to the oxidative stress that may be booth causing or caused by the disease. In this context, it is important to decipher whether and adequate Se status may contrast the risk factors for health disorders, or Se supplementation may improve the therapy when Se metabolism is altered.
Despite many studies that have suggested a beneficial effect from Se supplementation to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to the initially inadequate Se status. Conversely, care should be taken when using supplements because excessive Se intake leads to toxic effects, and recent studies have shown that even sub-toxic doses may be negatively impacting, for example by increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page Cover Page Certification Dedication Acknowledgement Table of Contents Abstract List of Tables List of Figures CHAPTER ONE...Continue Reading »
2. COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE ADSORPTION CAPACITIES OF CHEMICALLY AND MICROWAVE SYNTHESIZED ACTIVATED CARBON» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Activated carbon, also widely known as activated charcoal or activated coal is a form of carbon which...Continue Reading »
3. UREA AND CREATININE CONCENTRATIONS OF PLASMODIUM BERGHEI INFECTED MICE TREATED WITH COARTEM, HIPPROCRATEA AFRICANA ROOT BARK EXTRACT, CIPROFLOXACIN AN...» ABSTRACT The concomitant effect of Hippocratea africana root bark extract, Jatropha tanjorensis Ciprofloxacin and Coartem on markers (Urea and Creatin...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study evaluated the activity of antilipemic water extracts from leaves of Desmodium velutinum albino Wistar rats. Phytochemical analysis...Continue Reading »
5. STUDY ON THE DESTABILIZATION OF LYSOZYME AND THE CHAPERONE-LIKE ACTIVITY OF ALPHA CRYSTALLIN FROM SOKOTO RED GOAT EYE LENS» ABSTRACT Destabilization of Lysozyme and chaperone like action of alpha crystallin isolated from goat’s eye lens was investigated at various tempera...Continue Reading »
6. BRAIN ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITIES OF SIX ARTEMISININ-BASED COMBINATION THERAPIES (ACTs) IN EXPERIMENTAL MALARIA MODEL» ABSTRACT Malaria parasite has remained a menace to human immune system as it usually subjects its host to oxidative stress which in turn has an effect...Continue Reading »
7. ASSESSEMENT OF INFANT AND YOUNG CHILD FEEDING PRACTICES AND NUTRITIONAL STATUS OF CHILDREN (0-23 MONTHS) IN FUNTUA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, KATSINA STAT...» ABSTRACT Appropriate feeding practices are essential for the nutrition, growth, development and survival of infants and young children.Assessment of i...Continue Reading »
» INTRODUCTION 1.0 GENERAL INTRODUCTION Energy is a fundamental pillar of modern society as well as being an essential building block for socio economic...Continue Reading »
9. EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF GONGRONEMA LATIFOLIUM AND ALLIUM SATIVUM ON LIPID PROFILE OF RATS TREATED WITH SODIUM ARSENITE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Sodium arsenite is an inorganic compound with the formula with the formula NaASO2, it is also called ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Most of traditional medicines are of plant origins. Nature has gifted us with so many medic...Continue Reading »