The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
Get the complete project »
1.1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Selenium (Se) is an essential trace element having biological functions of utmost importance for human health. Different from the other (semi) metals, it is incorporated into proteins by a co-translational mechanism as part of the amino acid selenocysteine (SeCys), the 21st amino acid used for protein synthesis in humans, whereas only a few of them have been functionally characterized. Most Se-proteins participate in antioxidant defence and redox state regulation, particularly the families of more specific essential roles, such as iodothyronine deiodinases (DIOs) which are involved in thyroid hormones metabolism, GPx4 which is essential for spermatogenesis, and selenophospathe synthetases 2 (SPS2) participating in Se-protein biosynthesis.
Other Se-proteins may be involved in important biological processes, but their exact mechanism of action is still yet to be fully understood. Despite the scarce knowledge of the precise biochemical functions, a very large number of studies have been carried out in the last two decades showing that insufficient Se levels, and particularly Se-proteins, are associated with several human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and immune system disorders. In most cases, the link lies in the contrast to the oxidative stress that may be booth causing or caused by the disease. In this context, it is important to decipher whether and adequate Se status may contrast the risk factors for health disorders, or Se supplementation may improve the therapy when Se metabolism is altered.
Despite many studies that have suggested a beneficial effect from Se supplementation to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to the initially inadequate Se status. Conversely, care should be taken when using supplements because excessive Se intake leads to toxic effects, and recent studies have shown that even sub-toxic doses may be negatively impacting, for example by increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF GONGRONEMA LATIFOLIUM AND ALLIUM SATIVUM ON LIPID PROFILE OF RATS TREATED WITH SODIUM ARSENITE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Sodium arsenite is an inorganic compound with the formula with the formula NaASO2, it is also called ...Continue Reading »
67 pages | 56 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» ABSTRACT Solanum aculeastrum is an important medicinal plant commonly known as soda apple, soda apple nightshade, goat apple, poison apple or more amb...Continue Reading »
24 pages | 37 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
3. COMPARATIVE QUANTITATIVE PHYTOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF ETHANOL EXTRACT OF Gongronema latifolium AND Allium sativum» TABLE OF CONTENTS Cover page Title page Certification i Dedication ii Acknowledgement iii Abstract iv Table of content V List of tables vi CHAPTER ONE...Continue Reading »
44 pages | 42 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» ABSTRACT Obesity is a condition of increased adipose tissue mass as a result of excessive accumulation of fat. This increase in body fat increases the...Continue Reading »
41 pages | 27 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
5. EFFECTS OF ETHANOL ROOTS EXTRACT OF UGU OYIBO (Jatropha tanjorensis) ON HAEMATOLOGICAL INDICES OF FEMALE ALBINO WISTAR RATS» ABSTRACT Jatropha tanjorensis is a natural medicinal herb which has been used over the years in the treatment of many health disorders. This study was...Continue Reading »
82 pages | 55 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
6. EFFECTS OF BITTER LEAF SOUP WITH GARRI ON BLOOD GLUCOSE AND GROWTH PERFORMANCES OF TYPE ONESTZ [STREPTOZOCIN] INDUCED DIABETIC RATS» A RESEARCH PROJECT ABSTRACT The antidiabetic effect of bitter leaf soup with garri on blood glucose and growth performances of type 1 streptozocin ind...Continue Reading »
41 pages | 51 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The presence of chemical constituents in plants is important for consuming as nutrition and treat...Continue Reading »
55 pages | 85 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
8. EFFECTS OF ETHANOLIC ROOT EXTRACT OF Jatropha tanjorensis ON LIPID PROFILE OF FEMALE ALBINO WISTAR RAT» ABSTRACT This research work was carried out to determine the effects of ethanolic root extract of Jatropha tanjorensis on lipid profile of female albi...Continue Reading »
62 pages | 49 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
9. EVALUATION OF THE ANTIDIABETIC EFFECTS OF WATER AND METHANOLIC EXTRACTS OF AVOCADO (PERSEA AMERICANA) SEED ON ALLOXAN INDUCED DIABETIC RATS» ABSTRACT The high prevalence, complications and cost of conventional drugs in the management diabetes necessitated the search for alternative treatmen...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 117 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
10. ETHANOL LEAF EXTRACT OF Irvingia gabonensis O’Rorke Baill MITIGATES SODIUM ARSENITE-INDUCED LIPID PROFILE DERANGEMENTS IN WISTAR RATS» ABSTRACT The effect of ethanol leaf extract of Irvingia gabonensis O’Rorke Baill on lipid profile in sodium arsenite exposed Wistar albino rats was ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 48 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY