Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Selenium (Se) is an essential trace element having biological functions of utmost importance for human health. Different from the other (semi) metals, it is incorporated into proteins by a co-translational mechanism as part of the amino acid selenocysteine (SeCys), the 21st amino acid used for protein synthesis in humans, whereas only a few of them have been functionally characterized. Most Se-proteins participate in antioxidant defence and redox state regulation, particularly the families of more specific essential roles, such as iodothyronine deiodinases (DIOs) which are involved in thyroid hormones metabolism, GPx4 which is essential for spermatogenesis, and selenophospathe synthetases 2 (SPS2) participating in Se-protein biosynthesis.
Other Se-proteins may be involved in important biological processes, but their exact mechanism of action is still yet to be fully understood. Despite the scarce knowledge of the precise biochemical functions, a very large number of studies have been carried out in the last two decades showing that insufficient Se levels, and particularly Se-proteins, are associated with several human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and immune system disorders. In most cases, the link lies in the contrast to the oxidative stress that may be booth causing or caused by the disease. In this context, it is important to decipher whether and adequate Se status may contrast the risk factors for health disorders, or Se supplementation may improve the therapy when Se metabolism is altered.
Despite many studies that have suggested a beneficial effect from Se supplementation to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to the initially inadequate Se status. Conversely, care should be taken when using supplements because excessive Se intake leads to toxic effects, and recent studies have shown that even sub-toxic doses may be negatively impacting, for example by increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Intake of tomato and tomato based products contributes to the absorption of a wide range of carotenoids in human serum an...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The antiviral activities of plant leaves extract of four species, were investigated. The extract were tested for antiviral activities on the ...Continue Reading »
3. COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE EFFECTS OF ETHANOL LEAVES AND STEM EXTRACTS OF Jatropha tanjorensis (Hospital Too Far) ON SOME LIVER FUNCTIONS OF MALE ALBINO...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study Jatropha tanjorensis, commonly referred to as “hospital too far” or Ugu Oyibo in Igbo language be...Continue Reading »
4. EFFECTS OF ETHANOL ROOTS EXTRACT OF UGU OYIBO (Jatropha tanjorensis) ON HAEMATOLOGICAL INDICES OF FEMALE ALBINO WISTAR RATS» ABSTRACT Jatropha tanjorensis is a natural medicinal herb which has been used over the years in the treatment of many health disorders. This study was...Continue Reading »
5. EVALUATION OF INHIBITORY EFFECTS OF KHAYA SENEGALENSIS AND VERNONIA AMYGDALINA EXTRACTS AGAINST SOME BACTERIA ISOLATED FROM POULTRY DROPPINGS» ABSTRACT Recent studies have incriminated the use of antibiotics in poultry feeds to be associated with emergence of resistance among bacteria. The us...Continue Reading »
6. EFFECT OF METHANOLIC LEAF EXTRACT OF ACALYPHA WILKESIANA ON WEIGHT PARAMETERS IN PARACETAMOL INDUCED HEPATOXICITY IN MALE WISTAR RATS RATS» ABSTRACT The potential effect of methanolic extract of the leaves of Acalypha wilkesiana on the weight of wistar rats was investigated. Calculated amo...Continue Reading »
7. AMELIORATING ROLE OF N.P.K. FERTILIZER ON THE TOXIC EFFECTS OF Ni ON (SORGHUM) ROOT ANTIOXIDANT ENZYMES» ABSTRACT This study investigated the activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), glutothione peroxidase (GP) and the level of malondiald...Continue Reading »
» Abstract Malaria is still a major disease that causes millions of deaths, mostly among children under five years old and pregnant women, in tropical c...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Solanum aculeastrum is an important medicinal plant commonly known as soda apple, soda apple nightshade, goat apple, poison apple or more amb...Continue Reading »
10. NUTRIGENOMICS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The etiology of complex chronic diseases involves both environmental and genetic factors, with environmental influences such ...Continue Reading »