Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Selenium (Se) is an essential trace element having biological functions of utmost importance for human health. Different from the other (semi) metals, it is incorporated into proteins by a co-translational mechanism as part of the amino acid selenocysteine (SeCys), the 21st amino acid used for protein synthesis in humans, whereas only a few of them have been functionally characterized. Most Se-proteins participate in antioxidant defence and redox state regulation, particularly the families of more specific essential roles, such as iodothyronine deiodinases (DIOs) which are involved in thyroid hormones metabolism, GPx4 which is essential for spermatogenesis, and selenophospathe synthetases 2 (SPS2) participating in Se-protein biosynthesis.
Other Se-proteins may be involved in important biological processes, but their exact mechanism of action is still yet to be fully understood. Despite the scarce knowledge of the precise biochemical functions, a very large number of studies have been carried out in the last two decades showing that insufficient Se levels, and particularly Se-proteins, are associated with several human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and immune system disorders. In most cases, the link lies in the contrast to the oxidative stress that may be booth causing or caused by the disease. In this context, it is important to decipher whether and adequate Se status may contrast the risk factors for health disorders, or Se supplementation may improve the therapy when Se metabolism is altered.
Despite many studies that have suggested a beneficial effect from Se supplementation to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to the initially inadequate Se status. Conversely, care should be taken when using supplements because excessive Se intake leads to toxic effects, and recent studies have shown that even sub-toxic doses may be negatively impacting, for example by increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT Kaka bitters like other bitters is claimed to possess a number of folkloric therapeutic effects including lipid lowering effects. However, th...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss) is one of the very few trees known in the Indian subcontinent (Puri, 1999). This tree b...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page i Certification ii Dedication iii Acknowledgement iv Table of Contents v List of Tables vi List of Figures ix Abstract x ...Continue Reading »
4. STUDY ON THE DESTABILIZATION OF LYSOZYME AND THE CHAPERONE-LIKE ACTIVITY OF ALPHA CRYSTALLIN FROM SOKOTO RED GOAT EYE LENS» ABSTRACT Destabilization of Lysozyme and chaperone like action of alpha crystallin isolated from goat’s eye lens was investigated at various tempera...Continue Reading »
5. ANTISICKLING EFFECT AND ACTIVITY GUIDED FRACTIONATION OF DICHROSTACHYS CINEREA (Wight & Arn) ROOT AND STERCULIA SETIGERA (Del) LEAF METHANOLIC EXTRA...» ABSTRACT The in vitro antisickling effects of the crude methanolic extract, ethyl acetate, n hexane, butanol, and aqueous fractions of methanolic extr...Continue Reading »
6. Garcinia kola Heckel STEM BARK ETHANOLIC EXTRACT AND ITS TRITERPENOID FRACTION PROTECTED AGAINST SODIUM ARSENITE-INDUCED HEPATOTOXICITY AND NEPHROTOXI...» ...Continue Reading »
7. EFFECTS OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF ORGANIC FERTILIZERS ON GROWTH PERFORMANCE, NUTRIENTS AND TOXICOLOGICAL COMPOSITION OF AMARANTHUS CAUDATUS AND AMARANTHUS...» Abstract The objective of this study is to evaluate the effect of different types organic fertilizers on growth performance, nutrient and toxicologica...Continue Reading »
» INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to Study Natural products, such as plants extract, either as pure compounds or as standardized extracts, provi...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Calcium is the most important mineral in the body. The body needs calcium for normal functioning of nerves and muscles including the most imp...Continue Reading »
10. EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC ROOT EXTRACT OF JATHROPHA TANJORENSIS ON KIDNEY FUNCTION OF FEMALE ALBINO WISTAR RATS» ABSTRACT Jatropha tanjorensis has been consumed as a leafy vegetable and as a medicinal plant in Nigeria has shown hematological, antimalarial, antimi...Continue Reading »