Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Selenium (Se) is an essential trace element having biological functions of utmost importance for human health. Different from the other (semi) metals, it is incorporated into proteins by a co-translational mechanism as part of the amino acid selenocysteine (SeCys), the 21st amino acid used for protein synthesis in humans, whereas only a few of them have been functionally characterized. Most Se-proteins participate in antioxidant defence and redox state regulation, particularly the families of more specific essential roles, such as iodothyronine deiodinases (DIOs) which are involved in thyroid hormones metabolism, GPx4 which is essential for spermatogenesis, and selenophospathe synthetases 2 (SPS2) participating in Se-protein biosynthesis.
Other Se-proteins may be involved in important biological processes, but their exact mechanism of action is still yet to be fully understood. Despite the scarce knowledge of the precise biochemical functions, a very large number of studies have been carried out in the last two decades showing that insufficient Se levels, and particularly Se-proteins, are associated with several human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and immune system disorders. In most cases, the link lies in the contrast to the oxidative stress that may be booth causing or caused by the disease. In this context, it is important to decipher whether and adequate Se status may contrast the risk factors for health disorders, or Se supplementation may improve the therapy when Se metabolism is altered.
Despite many studies that have suggested a beneficial effect from Se supplementation to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to general health protection, most of them have remarked that it is limited to the initially inadequate Se status. Conversely, care should be taken when using supplements because excessive Se intake leads to toxic effects, and recent studies have shown that even sub-toxic doses may be negatively impacting, for example by increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. CONSUMPTION PATTERN AND EFFECT OF PROCESSING ON FATTY ACID PROFILE OF MILK FAT (MANSHANU) PRODUCED FROM MILK OF LOCAL COW BREEDS IN ZARIA» ABSTRACT The consumption pattern and effect of processing on fatty acid profile of milk fat (manshanu) produced from milk of local cow breeds (Bunaji,...Continue Reading »
2. COMBINED EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF GONGRONEMA LATIFOLIUM AND ALLIUM SATIVUM ON LIPID PROLIFE PARAMETERS ON STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC WISTAR...» TABLE OF CONTENT Title page i Cover page ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgment v Abstract vi Table of content vii CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTIO...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The antiviral activities of plant leaves extract of four species, were investigated. The extract were tested for antiviral activities on the ...Continue Reading »
» INTRODUCTION 1.0 GENERAL INTRODUCTION Energy is a fundamental pillar of modern society as well as being an essential building block for socio economic...Continue Reading »
5. Garcinia kola Heckel STEM BARK ETHANOLIC EXTRACT AND ITS TRITERPENOID FRACTION PROTECTED AGAINST SODIUM ARSENITE-INDUCED HEPATOTOXICITY AND NEPHROTOXI...» ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Kaka bitters like other bitters is claimed to possess a number of folkloric therapeutic effects including lipid lowering effects. However, th...Continue Reading »
7. EFFECTS OF ETHANOL, METHANOL AND N-HEXANE LEAF AND FRUIT EXTRACTS OF Kigelia africana ON SOME OXIDATIVE AND BIOCHEMICAL PARAMETERS IN ALLOXAN-INDUCED ...» ABSTRACT Globally, the estimated incidence of diabetes and projection for the year 2030 as given by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) is 350...Continue Reading »
8. ANTIMICROBIAL AND PHYTOCHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF YOUNGCOCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) WATER AND METHALONIC EDXTRACT OF THE YOUNGCOCOS NUCI» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION AND LITERATURE REVIEW 1.1 INTRODUCTION Medicinal plants represent a rich source of antimicrobials and many other drugs. T...Continue Reading »
9. EFFECTS OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF ORGANIC FERTILIZERS ON GROWTH PERFORMANCE, NUTRIENTS AND TOXICOLOGICAL COMPOSITION OF AMARANTHUS CAUDATUS AND AMARANTHUS...» Abstract The objective of this study is to evaluate the effect of different types organic fertilizers on growth performance, nutrient and toxicologica...Continue Reading »
10. ASSESSMENT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FOETAL HAEMOGLOBIN LEVELS, MARKERS OF TISSUE DESTRUCTION AND DISEASE SEVERITY IN INDIVIDUALS WITH SICKLE CELL ...» ABSTRACT Sickle cell Anaemia is a genetic disorder that leads to the production of Sickle haemoglobin, whichresults in abnormal functions of the red b...Continue Reading »