Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 60 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Plants have been considered as sources of medicinal agents, as it offers natural products useful for human health. Since the existence of human life on the planet earth, plants have been the source of food, clothing, shelter, fiber, fuel and medicine. Since time immemorial plants are the principle raw materials of traditional medicinal system that has been practiced and continue to provide mankind with novel therapies (Cragg and Newmann, 2005). Rauwolfia vomitoria , is a plant specie that of the genus Rauvolfia. It is also called the "poison devils pepper". Rauwolfia vomitoria contains a large number of indole alkaloids, the root bark contains reserpiline as a major component, followed by reserpine, reserpinine and ajmaline. Root products of Rauwolfia vomitoria have been found to be potent in treatment hypertension, as a sedative to calm epilepsy and psychotic or mental illness. They are also used to wash Children with Colic or fever as well as for skin problems such as rash, pimples, etc. (Schmelzer, 2007).
Sex hormones are natural substances produced by the body that helps relay messages between cells and organs and affect development of sexual organs and other secondary sexual characteristics. Estrogen and progesterone are the two main female sex hormones. Although testosterone is considered as a male hormones females also produce and use a small amount of it too.
Estrogen is the major female hormones. The major amount of the estrogen is produced by the ovaries but small amounts are produced in the adrenal glands and fat cells. During pregnancy, the placenta also makes estrogen. Estrogen plays a big role in reproduction and sexual development, including puberty, menstruation, pregnancy and menopause.
The ovaries also produces the progesterone after ovulation and during pregnancy, the placenta also produces some. Progesterone plays a role in preparing the lining of the uterus for a fertilized egg, supporting pregnancy and suppressing of estrogen production after ovulation.
Testosterone is a male sex hormone that is important for sexual and reproductive development. It is responsible for development of male sex organs before birth as well as development of other secondary characteristics.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Alkaloids have been reported to show varying effects on the serum hormone levels. Rauwolfia vomitoria has a vast composition of alkaloids and is potent in treatment and management of various ailments. However, there is not enough information as to the effect of Rauwolfia vomitoria root bark extract on the levels of sex hormones.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of the study is to evaluate the effect of Rauwolfia vomitoria root bark extract on male and female sex hormones.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The result from this study will add more knowledge to our existing biomedical and pharmacological potentials of Rauwolfia vomitoria and this may help open up new avenues of investigation for researchers.
1.5 JUSTIFICATION OF THE STUDY
Medicinal plants have received a great deal of attention due to their possible beneficial as well as adverse effects. Some of these plants are known to possess anti- fertility effect through their action on hypothlamo-pituitary-gonadal axis or direct hormonal effects on reproductive organs resulting in inhibition of ovarian steroidogenesis. Sex hormones are natural substances produced by the body that helps relay messages between cells and organs and affect development of sexual organs and other secondary sexual characteristics. Alteration in the levels of these sex hormones may lead to infertilty, abortion, abnormal development of sexual characteristics and sexual organs in male, hence the need for use of medicinal plants as a means of regulating hormonal levels by way of increasing or decreasing it.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study includes:
i. Administration of ethanol extract of Rauwolfia vomitoria to male and female albino Wistar rats depending on body weight
ii. Collection of blood by cardiac puncture from anaesthetized experimental rats
iii. Separation of serum by centrifugation
iv. Determination of biochemical parameters
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT This work evaluates the antioxidant potential of Monodora myristica (African nutmeg). Monodora myristica extract was obtained by solvent extr...Continue Reading »
2. EVALUATION OF INHIBITORY EFFECTS OF KHAYA SENEGALENSIS AND VERNONIA AMYGDALINA EXTRACTS AGAINST SOME BACTERIA ISOLATED FROM POULTRY DROPPINGS» ABSTRACT Recent studies have incriminated the use of antibiotics in poultry feeds to be associated with emergence of resistance among bacteria. The us...Continue Reading »
3. EFFECTS OF ETHANOL, METHANOL AND N-HEXANE LEAF AND FRUIT EXTRACTS OF Kigelia africana ON SOME OXIDATIVE AND BIOCHEMICAL PARAMETERS IN ALLOXAN-INDUCED ...» ABSTRACT Globally, the estimated incidence of diabetes and projection for the year 2030 as given by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) is 350...Continue Reading »
4. CONSUMPTION PATTERN AND EFFECT OF PROCESSING ON FATTY ACID PROFILE OF MILK FAT (MANSHANU) PRODUCED FROM MILK OF LOCAL COW BREEDS IN ZARIA» ABSTRACT The consumption pattern and effect of processing on fatty acid profile of milk fat (manshanu) produced from milk of local cow breeds (Bunaji,...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The antiviral activities of plant leaves extract of four species, were investigated. The extract were tested for antiviral activities on the ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Work on production proximate and physicochemical analyses of fish flour produced from Tilapia, cat and stock fishes was investigated. The fis...Continue Reading »
7. AMELIORATING ROLE OF N.P.K. FERTILIZER ON THE TOXIC EFFECTS OF Ni ON (SORGHUM) ROOT ANTIOXIDANT ENZYMES» ABSTRACT This study investigated the activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), glutothione peroxidase (GP) and the level of malondiald...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Obesity is a condition of increased adipose tissue mass as a result of excessive accumulation of fat. This increase in body fat increases the...Continue Reading »
9. ANTI-HYPERLIPIDEMIC POTENTIAL OF VITEX DONIANAETHANOLEXTRACTS ON POLOXAMER 407 INDUCED HYPERLIPIDEMIC AND NORMAL RATS.» ABSTRACT Anti hyperlipidemic potential of extracts (aqueous, 70% methanol, 70% ethanol and 70%, acetone) of Vitexdoniana leaves, stem bark and root ba...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research focus on compensation policy as means of attracting and retaining employee, it present a conceptual and theoretical study of the...Continue Reading »