Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 78 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This work evaluated the efficiency of organizational communication strategies on Power Holding Company of Nigeria, Enugu zonal office. It was anchored on the word of month and agenda-setting theory. The population of the study was drawn from power holding company of Nigeria, Enugu zonal office, using explanatory mixed method (survey and interview methods). From the PHCN Enugu zonal office, a sample size of 298 respondents was selected. Questionnaire and interview
served as the instrument for data collection. From the data collected and analyzed, it was revealed that organizational communication strategies has influence productive level of the staff of PHCH negatively, such as promoting team work, reducing grape-vine, and promoting organizational growth. Poor personal relations between superior and subordinates, poor designed of organizational structure, manager’s poor communication skill and lack of efficiency, organizational structure should be designed in such a way that guarantee free flow of communication and selecting appropriate communication patter and vehicle should be prioritized for effective understanding of managers and staff within and outside organizations.
I am grateful to God Almighty, for his grace, love, strength, favors and passion throughout this programme (father I appreciate you).
I also acknowledge the effort of my hardworking, devoted and dedicated supervisor, Dr.C.S. Akpan, for his support and intellectectual input who in spite of his tight of schedule was able to make this study a dream come true.
It gives me joy to remember the wealth of experience I gather from my Head of Department and all the lecturers in the department, Prof. Ike Ndolo, Prof. Charles Okigbo, Dr Nnayelugo Okoro, Dr. Ray Udeajah, Mr. L.I. Anorue, Miss Edith Ohajah, Dr. Greg Ezea, Mr Ekwueme, Mr Nwachukwu, Mr Nwoga and all the academic and non-academic staff of the department, under whose tutelage the idea about writing this research work was nurtured for their love and encouragement.
My sincere expression of gratitude goes to the members of my family relatives, and friends for their material and spiritual support. I am profoundly grateful especially to my father, Late Mr. B.N. Ezeji, who was zealous to see the first graduate he was about to produce, but died before the appointed time. May God grant him eternal rest in His bosom, Amen.
I appreciate my loving mother Ezinne Irene Ifeoma Ezeji for her caring, loving, supporting and her motherly advice, God is Able, you are one in a billion mother, in my next world, you will still be my mother, my in-law Mr. Akor Anyaorah, my siblings, Mr. & Mrs. Gozie Ezeji and family, Mrs Benny Okeoma, Anyaorah and family, Mr. Prince OnyekaChukwu Ezeji, Jude Arinze Ezeji, my step mothers, my step sisters and brothers, for their moral and spiritual support especially through prayers, throughout my stay in school.
I won’t hesitate to acknowledge the moral, spiritual support and understanding of Rev. Fr. Jude Onyeka, Rev. Fr. Samuel Chukwujekwu, Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Angor, Mr. Micheal Ezeji and family, C.Y.O.N executives both St. Pauls Catholic church Ojoto and regional
executive for their understanding, Mr. Lawrence Abanobi and family, you guys are wonderful. May God bless you all in Jesus Name Amen!
Special thanks go to the authors and journal articles cited in this study which provided intellectual backup to this study. May God bless you all, Amen. To my priceless wife, Okonkwo Chikodili and my Children, stay and remain blessed in Jesus Name, Amen. My Angel Amaka Okeke, Egodi Offiah and all members of Unique-Angles Company, you guys are wonderful.
Worthy of mention are my bosom friends, Mennnkiti Uju, Agwaramgbo Ogoo, Ezeoma lovina, Nze Nkolika, Elo Nwajinka, Okwuchukwu Obi, Ndidi Okeke, Chubundu Nwajinka and all those who have contributed in one way or the other towards making me successful in life.
In a special way, I acknowledge my colleagues for the cordial relationship that exists between us, your wonderful advice and care. You guys are wonderful God bless you all. Amune Philip, Anore Uche and Dr. Alex, God will bless you guys.
In a special way, I acknowledge Chinaemele, Chisom, Ifechukwu, Chinazaram, Ebube, Chijindu, Okedinachi, Munachim, Chiamanda, Rita Chisom, I appreciate you all. Stay and forever remain blessed, Amen.
Finally, I cannot forget to say “thank you” to my various respondents and interviewees at Power Holding Company of Nigeria Enugu Senatorial districts.s
Ezeji, Innocent Chika
Department of Mass Communication
University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
1.1 Background of the study
Over the years, managers have focused more attention on customer retention as an important and effective strategy in organizational growth. In recent times, they have begun to dedicate the same kind of attention to their employees, recognizing that employees have more to do with the success of a business than virtually any other constituency. A study by consulting firm Watson Wyatt concluded that the bottom line is that organization communication is no longer a “soft” function but rather a business function that drives performance and contributes to a company’s financial success. (Argenti, 2007, 137).
However, organizational communication is a complex, imperative process through which employees coordinate the work process essential to the functioning of any organization. Employees today are likely to want more information about the company for whom they work so organizational communication is the catalyst to organizational excellence and effectiveness and it should be continuous. (Dolphin, 2005,173).
According to Lee (2004) the fundamental purpose of communication in an organization is to enable and energize employees to carry out its strategic intent. It is essential for organizations to have the capability to quickly identify, send receive, and understand strategically relevant information. When making decisions on strategy and policy the necessity and challenge of communication must be taken into account, and organizing the communication so that if functions effectively must be part of the organizing’s strategic priorities.
The level of organization communication the altitude of its efficiency in performance. Communication within an organization cannot be effective as well increase performance if it is not tailored toward strategies that are manager-employee customers oriented. There must be a frame of reference between the manager and employee-customers. These are the three cardinal pillars that determine the success of an organization. This will lead to an open communication environment where manager, employees and customers of the organization feel free to share feedback, ideas and even criticism at every level. Managers who are committed to open communication build an environment of trust that can be the foundation for success (Richard, 1980).
The increasingly complex and highly competitive nature of today’s business environment puts greater pleasure on employees and also calls for more concerted effort in the area of communication (Argent, 2007, 138). Many organizations are not making headway as a result of lack of effective strategic communication that is targeted toward manager-employee-customer oriented. This has greatly affected their performance and on the long run fail to meet up with the demands of their customers. This shows the importance of organization efficiency where employees feel they are involved in decision that affect their day-to-day work. Organizations with a secretive communication environment shut people out, which can stifle involvement and result in lost ideals and opportunities. Employee’s involvement is a key factor that affects employee’s satisfaction and success (Richards, 1980).
Therefore, aim of this study is to evaluate the organization communication strategies of power Holding Company of Nigeria, using Enugu metropolis as a study. This study seeks to know the communication strategies of PHCN and its efficiency on their performance.
1.2 Statement OF THE Problem
In today’s competitive marketing sector, every manager strives diligently to arrest customer’s attention and enhance productivity in the organization. The implementation of a change plan can be successful only when it flows down from superior(s) to the subordinate(s), however, there are factors that hamper the implementation of efficient organizational communication in an organization. For instance, if customers are not satisfied with the provision of Electricity as a result of a gap in communication between between the superior and the subordinates of a company As a result of a grap in communication between the superiors and the subordinates company, this can lead to ma setback in satisfying the customers of that organization.
The Power Holding Company of Nigeria, Enugu Zonal office faces a lot of problems apart from infrastructural facilities and high interest rate, high rate of inflation which is also a problem in PHCN sector, other problems are low level of working capital and high cost of production. Above all, is the lack of effective communication among the staff of PHCN and as such, if good organizational communication is lacking the organization goals will not be achieved.
It is based on this premises that this study seeks to evaluate organizational communication strategies of PHCN, Enugu zonal office. However, problems that arise in this study will agitate the mind of the researcher to conclude if the communication system in PHCN Enugu will give subordinates the opportunity to communicate effectively with those on top and even its customers.
1.3 Objectives of the study
The major objective of this study is to evaluate the organizational communication strategies of Power Company on its organizational efficiency
Other specific objectives include:
1. To find out the various patterns of organizational communication strategies used by Power Company of Nigeria (PHCN)
2. To ascertain the influence of organizational communication strategies on PHCN staff performance.
3. To determine the role of organizational communication strategies on the efficiency of PHCN.
4. To identify the problems of organizational communication on the efficiency of PHCN Enugu Zonal office.
1.4 Research questions
1. What are the various pattern of organizational communication strategies used in PHCN Enugu Zonal office?
2. What influence does organizational Communication strategies have on the staff of PHCN?
3. What role has organizational Communication strategies on the efficiency of PHCN?
4. What are the problems associated with organizational Communication strategies in PHCN?
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study analyses the influence of interpersonal communication on organizational efficiency, using PHCN Enugu Zonal office as case study. It hinges on the perception of the superior(s) and the subordinate(s) in the office.
To avoid the prolongation of this researcher concentrate on only a portion where he is solely concerned. This being the case, the research work restricted to Enugu State.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Professionally, this study will provide to the staff of Power Holding Company of Nigeria, Enugu zonal office with veritable solution to the problems of inadequate flow of information among its staff, thereby awakening in them the zeal to attack bravely and uprightly the promoters of interpersonal communication with the result that there will be peaceful co-existence of the staff with one another.
Also, most PHCN sectors have not recognized fully the benefits of interpersonal communication. Thus, this study will come out with findings that will enable the PHCN sector to appreciate the efficiency of interpersonal communication. It will equally serve as a medium of alerting the establishment on loopholes created in the system due to lack of viable communication system.
Academically, this study will add to the number of literatures done in regards to the influence of interpersonal communication in organizations. It will also serve as a reference material for other and further studies. It will also excite more researchers in this area as well as guide to researchers who wish to carryout similar studies.
Relevant theories can also emanate from this study which will add to the number of mass communication theories.
1.7. DEFINITION OF TERMS
In this study, terms will be defined according to their usage in this work:
ENUGU: This is the capital of Enugu state located in the eastern part of Nigeria.
INFLUENCE: This refers to the effect interpersonal communication has on the staff of PHCN.
INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION: Refers to the forms of communication that exist among the staff of PHCN, this form can be verbal or non-verbal as the case may be.
ORGANIZATION: Refers to a body set up to achieve a goal.
PHCN: Power Holding Company of Nigeria is an organization owned by the Federal Government with the sole responsibility of providing electricity to the nation.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» Abstract Influence of commercial advertising on the productpromotion of indomie instant noodles. A study of the children of Emene community Enugu Focu...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Children have become MUCH more interested in cartoons, over many years and it has become a primar...Continue Reading »
3. TELEVISION AS AN INSTRUMENT OF EDUCATIONAL ADVANCEMENT IN KOGI STATE (A case study of Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja)» Abstract The study examined television as an instrument of Educational Advancement in Kogi State using Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja as a case study....Continue Reading »
4. MEDIA CHANNEL AND AUDIENCE RETENTION: A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF TRADITIONAL MEDIA (RADIO, TELEVISION, MAGAZINE, NEWSPAPER ETC) AND NEW MEDIA (FACEBOOK, 2...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The term “Media channel” can generally be seen as tools for the transfer of informati...Continue Reading »
5. ASSESSING THE INFLUENCE OF TOOTHPASTE ADVERTISING ON CONSUMER BRAND PREFERENCE IN MAKURDI METROPOLIS» ABSTRACT This study is aimed at assessing the influence of toothpaste advertising on consumer brand preference in Makurdi metropolis. The objectives o...Continue Reading »
6. AN ASSESSMENT OF THE ROLE OF BROADCAST MEDIA IN MOBILIZATION OF WOMEN DURING THE 2015 GENERAL ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Women attempting to enter into politics in Nigeria face numerous obstacles. Those who have aspire...Continue Reading »
7. THE IMPACT OF MANAGEMENT STYLE OF NAGARTA RADIO ON REPORTERS AND PROGRAMMES PRODUCERS IN THE STATION» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION A determining factor for the selection of Management or Leadership style of any media organisation is ownership and contr...Continue Reading »
8. IMPACT OF ENUGU STATE BROADCASTING SERVICE (E.S.B.S) RADIO ON VOTERS’ MOBILIZAITON DURING ELECTION IN 2011» CHAPTER ONE Introduction 1.1 Background of the Study The electronic media began with radio transmission services. According to Agba (2006), radio bega...Continue Reading »
9. LISTENERSHIP LEVEL AND PERCEPTION OF FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY MINNA CAMPUS RADIO PROGRAM (A CASE STUDY OF LISTENERS IN MINNA)» INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Radio is an essential mass medium that virtually every member of the society benefits from. Kuewumi (2009) as...Continue Reading »
10. IMPACT OF FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT ON JOURNALISM PRACTICE: A STUDY OF JOURNALISM PRACTICE IN UYO COMMUNITY- FROM JANUARY TO JUNE 2013.» Abstract This project on ― impact of Freedom of Information Act: A study of journalism practices in Uyo community – from January to June, is a...Continue Reading »