Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.0 Background of Study
Library Management System refers to an application that is specifically designed to manage generally small and medium size libraries and to help mainly those in charge of the library at that particular time to help maintain and keep tracks of library users and books.
Library Management System as an application is mainly used by librarian to manage the library using a computerized system where he/she can record various transactions like issue of books, return of books, addition of new books, addition of new students etc.
Books and student maintenance modules are also included in this system which would keep track of the students using the library and also a detailed description about the books a library contains. With this computerized system there will be no loss of book record or member record which generally happens when a non-computerized system is used.
In addition, report module is also included in Library Management System. If user’s position is admin, the user is able to generate different kinds of reports like lists of students registered, list of books, issue and return reports.
All these modules are able to help librarian to manage the library with more convenience and in a more efficient way as compared to library systems which are not computerized.
A majority of libraries in Nigeria are found in research centers, private and public institutions of learning. Public universities have the highest volumes of books, journals, research papers, and other collections. The libraries are set up with the main aim of been used by both the students, teachers, lecturers and staff members within the institution. There is a collected effort by the library management to restructure their services so as to extend them to other outsiders other than the normal users. Many of the libraries are coming up with information resource centers in the spirit of embracing technology.
Library Management System supports the general requirement of the library such as the acquisition, cataloguing, circulation and other sections. Before the advent of computer in modern age there were different methods of keeping records in the library. Records were kept in the library on shelves and each shelf was labeled in an alphabetical or numerical order, in which the categories of books available were arranged on different position on the shelves and as well were recorded on the library manuscript and when any book is to be referenced the manuscript is being referred to, to know the position of such required book by the person that requested for the book. After the invention of computer different researchers carried out various approaches on an automated library management system in which this project is as well all about.
1.1 Statement of the Problem
This online library management system was developed to solve the major drawbacks that faced people responsible for the general managing of small or large libraries who were using the existing systems.
The problem occurred before having computerized system includes:
· File loss
When computerized system is not implemented files could get missing, sometimes due to some human error there may be a loss of records.
· File damaged
Online library will save us a great deal since physical interference is greatly reduced due to the nature of the digital world and thus files in the library is safer than ever before.
· Difficult to search record
When there is no computerized system there is always a difficulty in searching of records, especially if the records are large in number.
· Space consuming
After the number of records become large the space for physical storage of file and records also increases if no computerized system is implemented.
· Cost consuming
As there is no computerized system to add each record paper will be needed which will increase the cost for the management of library.
· Time consuming
Computerized system has the ability to work at a faster rate than a non computerized system. As such more time is needed to record where there is no computerized system.
The aims and objectives are as follows:
1. Developing a system that ensures the privacy of its users and enable them access it remotely.
2. Designing a system that respond in a timely manner.
3. To enable easy maintenance of students and book details.
4. Easy retrieval of books by simply searching the system.
5. To enable easy borrowing and returning of books.
6. Automated fine calculation and reports generation.
7. Enabling a secure and portable database system that eliminates duplicate data.
1.3 Significance of the Project
This system improves services delivered to end users. Data is saved in the most appropriate manner eliminating duplication and redundancy. Multiple users can access the system at the same time. The system operates electronically hence ensures less space is occupied and also presents a paperless working environment. Library staff members are motivated by the system since it makes work easier. The system has a friendly user interface which is attractive and easy to use.
This study will be beneficial to the following:
1. Students: The study would increase efficiency of students in using the library, as they easily know the books available in the library and also borrow available books with the aid of the system. This is more convenient as it is not time-consuming.
2. Librarian: The system would improve the monitoring capacities of those who maintain the library. It would aid easy cataloging and and keeping record of books issued, reissued and not returned.
3. Lecturers: They would use the study to teach student on how to use the system and as users, use it to easily access library and borrow them.
4. The University: The use of the system would reduce the cost of management of the library . The system eliminates the need to employ many workers and keep many manual files, thereby reducing cost . It would also enhance the look of the library
Other Library Staffs: The study would increase the productivity of theses staff,as they would spend time doing important things and with ease.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR COMPUTER SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Material Procurement can be defined as the purchase of goods or services at a total cost of the optimum possible in ...Continue Reading »
34 pages | 0 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY A colour code or colour coding is a system for displaying information by using different colours....Continue Reading »
52 pages | 888 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
3. IMPACT OF ROAD TRANSPORTATION MODE ON THE MARKETING OF CONSUMER GOODS IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU SOUTH LGA, ENUGU STATE)» ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Food production is geographically dispersed and the task of linking the several food production centers w...Continue Reading »
72 pages | 269 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
4. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF AN AUTOMATED INVENTORY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM Case Study: Segofer Technical Services» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND 1.1 INTRODUCTION Inventories are part of the strengths of any business and can be applied as the firm’s own strategy in build...Continue Reading »
149 pages | 250 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Information management has become a major strategic factor in companies’ development. It is imp...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 161 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Data matching process enables an analyst to reduce data duplication and improve data source. Matching analyses the degree...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 311 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
» ABSTRACT The study was aimed at designing a computer software for registration of patient’s in FSDT&T clinic/laboratory. The work was reviewed f...Continue Reading »
54 pages | 217 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
8. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPUTERISED INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR A MULTI SERVICE RENTAL COMPANY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Most rental service firms today still use manual information system because their information needs are of moderate size and ...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 306 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study An expert system is a software system that attempts to reproduce the performance of one or more human...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 267 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the StudyOnline cinema booking system is basically made for providing the movie ticket anywhere and anytime a...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 211 hits | Source: COMPUTER SCIENCE