Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 41 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This research is concerned with the factors affecting the learning of social studies in some selected secondary school in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State. Five secondary schools were selected in Benin City for this study. This research was carried out to ascertain the differences in attitude of students towards the learning of social studies. To bring out this, a questionnaire was administered to the students and teachers of the five selected schools in Benin City. The questionnaires were carefully drawn to elicit the exact responses necessary to the questions formulated. The responses were analyzed using simple percentages table and statistics. Recommendations were made based on the analysis of the research findings.
TABLE OF CONTENT
1.2 Background of the study
1.3 Statement of the problem
1.4 Objectives of the study
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Scope of the study
1.7 Scope of the study
1.8 Research questions
1.9 Limitations of study
1.10 Definition of terms
2.2 Factors affecting the learning of social studies
2.3 Educational factors
Student’s teacher’s relationship
2.4 Personal factor
Interest and motivation
2.5 Family factor
Relation of birth order to academic
Performance of students
Social economic status
3.1 Research methodology
3.2 Design of the study
3.3 Population of the study
3.4 Sample and sampling techniques
3.5 Research instrument
3.6 Method of data analysis
4.1 Analysis of result and discussions
5.1 Summary of findings
5.4 Suggestion for further research
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Social studies is one of the subject taught in primary and secondary schools today because of its usefulness to everyday life. According to Adeyoyin (1982) social studies is the study of man and his totality (the study covers) where he lives, his activities in the past and present his culture, frame of mind and how he relates to others in the society.
According to Wronki (1981) social studies are those common learning of man’s interaction with his social and physical environment, a way of life of how man influences his environment and in turn how environment influences man.
IMPORTANCE OF SOCIAL STUDIES
Social studies teach culture, so it enables students to know their norms, culture, believe and rules in the society.
It enables people to understand the relationship between human beings and social and physical environment in the past and present.
Social studies help individuals to develop the capacity to learn and acquire certain basic skills such as listening, speaking, reading, writing, calculating, observing, analyzing, and inference which are essential in the formation of sound social, economic and political judgement.
Social studies enable students to understand the environment with its man made, natural, cultural and spiritual resources and the conservation of these resources for development.
Social studies is taught in primary and secondary schools in order for them to know what they ought to do as members of the society. in some secondary schools some students are not ready to learn due to some circumstances, some believes that social studies is difficult as a result there is lack of interest in the subject which results to a negative attitudes towards the learning of social studies. As a subject that studies man and his totality, social studies should be encouraged at all levels of learning.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Social studies is one of the subject that teaches man his environment, it enables him to know his norms, cultures, beliefs, and rules in the society. therefore the importance of social studies to man cannot be overemphasized. It is therefore very necessary that man learns about this subject. A lot of difficulties is been faced by man in learning this subject. This study therefore seeks to investigate into the factors affecting the learning of social studies.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The study seeks to investigate the following:
1. The factors affecting the learning of social studies
2. The difficulties encountered in the learning of social studies
3. To seek ways that will motivate students to have interest in the subjects.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study will present the factors affecting the learning of social studies among students. The study would also be significant to parents, educationist, social studies association who would be able to motivate the right attitudes to the learning of social studies. It may also serve as a basis for other researchers.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study will cover some selected secondary school in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State. It will also determine the factors affecting the learning of social studies.
1.6 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following research questions have been formulated to guide the research.
1. What are the factors affecting the learning of social studies?
2. What are the effect of the difficulty in learning social studies?
3. My parents do not encourage me to read at home.
4. I don’t like my social studies teacher.
5. Social studies is an interesting subject.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Attitude: Is a way of feeling, thinking and behaving
Interest: An activity or a subject that you enjoy and that you spend your free time doing or studying.
Instructional materials: Are those teaching aids that make teaching and learning to be effective.
Learning: Is defines as a relative permanent change in behaviour resulting from practice or experience.
Social Studies: Is the study of man and his physical environment.
Teacher: is an experience person who impact knowledge to an inexperienced person.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. IMPACT OF PERSONALITY TRAITS AND SCHOOL TYPE ON SELF-ESTEEM AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN MARKURDI» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to Study Academic achievement is a major issue among students, teachers, parents, school administrators, and t...Continue Reading »
2. A STUDY OF THE PROBLEM OF TRUANCY AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN SOME SELECTED SCHOOLS IN ONDO WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ONDO STATE» ABSTRACT Indiscipline includes lawlessness; examination malpractice absenteeism etc is one of the major problems threatening our educational instituti...Continue Reading »
3. COMPARATIVE STUDY OF STUDENT PERFORMANCE IN WAEC BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY AND ENGLISH(CASE STUDY OF ENUGU NORTH LGA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Meaning of academic performance of student is challenging, since science student performance is the p...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Cultism and its attendant problems have assumed a threatening dimension in recent times in the Nigerian society. More disturb...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The main purpose of this research project is to highlight the impact of teaching practice exercise on the productivity of qualified teachers ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study sought to assess the utilization of local building materials in construction site Senatorial district. Among the specific purposes ...Continue Reading »
7. ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES AND STUDENT'S ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN UYO EDUCATION ZONE» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the Study Throughout the world, leaders in the society are asking evermore how can we improve the environment...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Biology is a branch of natural science that deals with the study of living organisms, including t...Continue Reading »
9. DRUG ABUSE AND STUDENTS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCES IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL: A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN IKPOBA OKHA LOCAL GOVERNME...» ABSTRACT The study examined the problems of drug and substances, abuse among students in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Edo State. In the course...Continue Reading »
10. A STUDY OF ADOLESCENT ATTITUDE TOWARDS SEX EDUCATION IN THE SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN OWAN WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study The Nigerian society today has to grapple with many behavioural problems of its youth. Such problems ...Continue Reading »