Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This survey research conducted to find out the effect of marital conflict on student academic achievement in secondary school of Jere Local Government Area. Two objectives and three research questions where formulated to guide the study. The population of the study consists of the entire senior secondary school student in four selected school in Jere Local Area. Through the process of simple random sampling a total number of 100 students were selected to participate in the study. The major instrument used for collecting data was a questionnaire. The data collected were analyzed through the use of simple percentages. It was discovered based on the analysis that most of the respondents are not staying –with their parent. They performed below expectation due to lack of security, care and discipline. Their school fees are not being paid in time. On the basis of such findings, recommendation were made that, Borno Government should create academic and counsel unit in secondary School with adequate funds where students from marital conflict affected homes would be given proper guidance and counseling concerning their psychological and social problem towards.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The effect of marital conflict on the academic performance of students, Marital relationships exist between a man and a woman when the two of them agree to live together and to establish their own family and live together until the end of their lives or till death separates them. Hornby (1978) said that marriage is a union of man and a woman as husband and wife, most societies establish certain procedure and activities that must be followed before a marital relationship between a man and a woman can take place. These procedures include a period of courtship, the introduction of the man to the woman and vice versa. There will be a marital dowry. All these are done to make the marital relationship a lasting and happy one. But all these notwithstanding, one finds that some marital relationship do not go along well with each other, Even though they had made a serious vow to live happily together either by the church or the traditional rite.
Conflicts occur in all human societies but, it occurs in various degrees, marital conflict is that situation between man and woman. This is where husband and wife have different opinion about issues, events or activities which cannot be mutually resolved. Marital conflict usually arises mostly due to lack of understanding between the man and the woman. This comes in different ways such as difference in education and social backgrounds, physical maintenance, love making, extra marital affairs.
As people become more educated and society becomes more enlightened one expects the frequency of marital conflicts to reduce but ironically, the reverse has been the case. The divorce rate has been on the increase, this project work attempts to examine conflicts, and suggest ways of reducing their rate of occurrence.
Marital conflict leads to broken home which occurs as a result of separation of marriage either by death or divorce. Broken home, contributed a lot to anti-social behaviour society.
ISAKE (1963), stated that most of them were very unsuccessful because of separation of house, he said marital conflict can be as a result of divorce of separation by death of the couple.
The problem of marital conflict are universal phenomenal which affect both developed as well as the under develop country. Yet the courses and effect still persist with varying degree in the various part of the world.
In an ideal atmosphere, Children should happily be with there parents, children appreciated the love of their parent towards them, one of the tasks that should be fulfilled by parents, is to educate their children because the education of children does not start from school. This is because live schooling of students started from home. A home is the walls of the house but the people who live on it make a home. A house only become a home, when if complete. A home also became a house when is not broken.
Hemm (1970), marital conflict means a heroic in which the parents are separated or divorced or are no more by either as a result of death. Children from such home lack proper care and security. The suffering of such children could be seen in differed dimension.
In most cases, adequate parental and affection may not be given to the children properly by the adopted parents that is the guardian. Unfortunately for the children who find themselves in such a manners can been neglected by the fear groups and society instead of being love and care for however, the present day in Nigeria.
The rate of marital conflict is increasing unprecedented, consequently and it is necessary for the psychologist and teacher to find out the relationship between houses and academic achievement of the concern children.
Parent (1970); homes are a dwelling place we want on to say that it is also a place of natural shelter from rain, sun and cold which is the season. The other point he stressed on was security and care while we concluded by the fact that it provide a place for happy family life with room and equipment for preparing and eating means for recreation.
When a student imagines his home a “Vacuum Can” Which exposes him or her to same problems in the environment
In some societies in Nigeria and other Parents of African such children are regarded as neglected.
ISAKE and others (1984), mother are considered as the backbones or major providers of programme of services to individual child.
Based on the needs and understanding of his environment, They said student from homes with conflict feel very sad when they lack the carrying, affection, security and concern for lovely home.
Those students are supposed to enjoy. Such children tend to develop a kind of inferiority complex, and aggression, hostility, reserved and isolated among their pear groups. They said when children are not secured and not enjoying the love and parental up bringing, it will affect the cognitive loved of the children, thereby affecting their academic achievement.
However, as the home became as insecurity, place, the student are respond by developing tension, prostration and aggression and anger and hatred toward on or both parents because of their behaviour, that lead to separation and also conflict could causes the children to feel isolation and humpies.
Yusuf (1981), reveal that 60 – 70% of backward students of secondary Schools in Jere Government Area, are those student from conflict homes, some of them are rerunning errant, while some of them do not have adequate school material that will help them study.
Hence, there are frustrated and psychologically disturbed, when they are in classroom as a result they cannot do well in the school activities.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
One wonders why our society has remained passively perplexed and helpless to the high increase of divorce rate which is a result and effect of marital conflicts in most societies, it was still in the tradition for parents to choose marital partners for their children. This has been one of the major causes of marital conflict and possibly divorce because the spouses are not opportune to know and understand themselves before getting married.
The rate of divorce in our locality is increasing because many get into marriage without been matured enough for it. This again is another factor of marital conflict in the society. In this, they have no experiences that guide them in the marriage institution. In the case of this research, many questions that related to marital conflict would be asked and these include
1. Is there any way to reduce or resolved those conflicts so as to reduce divorce rates?
2. When could marital conflicts generate problems in the home?
3. Who are those affected by these conflicts?
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The objectives of the study are:-
1. To determine the number of students from marital conflict home in the selected secondary school in Jere Local Government Area.
2. To determine whether actually marital conflict have any effect on children, students’ academic achievement.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
A. Does lack of parental care, affection and love affect students academic achievement in school?.
B. Does lack of Parental security affect students?
C. Does lack of parental discipline of affect student academic achievement?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Many people do not see marital conflict as a social problem, which some how affect children born into such homes. To this end this study aims to some extent see how this affect a child in his academic achievement through the study will only be restricted to secondary School e.g Mafoni Galtimari secondary School in Jere Local Government Area.
The findings may likely be applicable to other part of the state and also the country at large. Thus, with the introduction new national policy of education (U.B.E).
The investigation will be an effective tool in the hands of guidance and counseling personnel’s and also psychologist.
It would also be relevant to teachers in order to help their students despite the problem in the study will also attempt to some extent suggested some hopeful advice and counseling to people who may like to apply them to their marital life situation.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study covers Jere Local Government Area as a case study on the effect of broken homes on student academic achievement.
The study is limited to some selected secondary School in Jere Local Government Area examples of selected primary Schools are:-
- Old Maiduguri secondary School
- Goni Kachallari secondary School.
- Muna Koreri secondary School.
- Shehu Sanda Kyarimi secondary School.
- Gambori III secondary School.
1.7 OPERATIONAL DEFINATION OF TERMS
BROKEN HOMES: Broken homes in this with parental being separated as a result of death divorce and willful but temporally staying apart
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT: Here it refers to how well or how poorly a child can perform in the school.
HOME: This is place where people live together as a family.
DIVORCE: This is an illegal dissolution of marriage.
JUVINAL DELIQUENCY: This is a wrong doing by Young person.
BEHAVIOURAL CLASS ORDER: This is a situation where an individual abnormal character such as stealing, fishing, aggressiveness toward other hostile etc
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. SCHOOL LIBRARIES AS AN EFFECTIVE INSTRUMENT FOR ACHIEVING ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE A CASE STUDY OF SCHOOLS IN OWERRI TOWN» ABSTRACT This project work is on the “school library as an effective instrument for academic excellence of schools on Owerri town”. The ai...Continue Reading »
2. A CONTRIBUTION OF YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF KADUNA SOUTH LGA)» ABSTRACT This study was intended to examine the contribution of youth organizations in community development in Kaduna south LGA. This study was guide...Continue Reading »
3. AN ASSESSMENT OF THE EFFECTIVENESS OF TWO TEACHING METHODS ON PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPILS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE (CASE STUDY OF AJEROMI IFELUNDU LOCAL GOVT AR...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Poor academic performance according to Aremu (2003) is a performance that is adjudged by the exam...Continue Reading »
4. IMPACT OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN GOVERNMENT IN AKURE NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT OF ONDO STATE, NIGERIA.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Socialization is a lifelong process which continues as people changes jobs or roles and as societ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The Nigeria business climate has been adjustment by expect as one of the hostile, turbulent and volatile and vet challenging. It stands to re...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research examined entrepreneurship education as a veritable tool for youth empowerment in Nigeria. As the nation is presently experienci...Continue Reading »
7. THE ROLE OF MICROFINANCE INSTITUTIONS IN THE MOBILIZATION OF FUND FOR MICRO CREDIT SCHEME IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT In the course of carrying out this research, data were collected from both primary and secondary sources to test the hypotheses. The Random s...Continue Reading »
8. IMPORTANCE OF INFORMATION MANAGEMENT IN NIGERIA (ARMY OPERATIONS: OPERATION LAFIYA DOLE IN PERSPECTIVE)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Nigeria is a country blessed with various ethnic groups but the issue of violence has eaten into ...Continue Reading »
9. SCHOOL DISCIPLINE AND ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF STUDENTS (A CASE STUDY OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF AKWA IBOM STATE» ABSTRACT This study determined the influence of discipline on academic achievement of students in Uyo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State. The va...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The demands and expectations from local government councils over the years have been on the increase while delivering the dividend of democra...Continue Reading »