Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
TABLE OF CONTENT
Title page i
Table of content viii
1.1 Background of the Study 1
1.2 Statement of the Problem 3
1.3 Statement of the Objective 4
1.4 Research Questions 5
1.5 Scope and Limitation of the Study 6
1.6 Delimitation of the Study 7
1.7 Significance of Study 8
1.8 Definition of Terms 9
2.1 Theoretical Framework 11
2.2 Review of Related Literature 12
2.2.1 The Public Sector 12
2.2.2 Scope of Public Sector 13
2.2.3 Overview of Public Sector Accounting 13
2.2.4 Principles and Procedures of Public Sector Accounting 16
2.2.5 Objectives of Public Sector Accounting 17
2.2.6 Internal Auditing in Public Sector 18
2.2.7 Public Sector Internal Audit Functions 22
2.2.8 Internal Audit Policy 22
2.2.9 Appointment of Internal Auditor in the Public Sector 23
2.2.10 Duties of Internal Auditors in Public Sector 24
2.2.11 Principal Functions of Internal Auditing 24
2.2.12 Reporting in Public Sector 25
2.2.13 Treasury Department Internal Audit in Public Sector 26
2.2.14 Internal Audit Programme in Public Sector 27
2.2.15 Accountancy and Audit in Public Sector 28
2.2.16 Accounting Records 29
2.2.17 External Reports 30
2.2.18 Accounting Failure 32
2.2.19 Auditing Parastatals in Public Sector 34
2.2.20 Limitation of the Effectiveness of Internal Auditing 38
2.3 Summary of Literature Review 39
3.0 Research Methodology 41
3.2 Research Design 41
3.3 Research Population 42
3.4 Sample and Sampling Techniques 42
3.5 Data Collection Method 43
3.6 Validity of Study 43
3.7 Reliability of Study 43
3.8 Method of Data Analysis 43
4.0 Presentation and Analysis of Data 44
4.1 Data Presentation 44
4.2 Data Analysis 44
4.3 Analysis of Questionnaire 45
4.4 Research Question One 45
4.5 Research Question Two 48
4.6 Research Question Three 51
4.7 Research Question Four 55
5.1 Summary of Findings 57
5.2 Conclusion 60
5.3 Recommendations 61
Appendix 1 64
Appendix 2 65
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The achievement of organizational aims and objectives either in the private or public sector is crucial to the management and all stakeholders of any organization. The achievement of common goals is dependent upon the attitude of management of human and material resources, particularly the financial resources as finance is the livewire of any organization. Management in order to achieve this fact, need to carryout independent appraisal activity within the organization. This appraisal is done by the internal audit department of the organization.
According to the Institute of Internal Auditors as in Obara (2002) “ Internal Auditing is an independent appraisal activity within an organization for review of accounting, financial and other operations: as a basic for service to management. It is a managerial control which functions by measuring an evaluating the effectiveness of other control.
The appraisal activity within an organization ensures that staff entrusted with responsibilities within the ambit of the organizational legal framework. Kiabel (2002) stats, “Auditing has also been a potent factor in ensuring compliance with legal requirement and organizational rule”. The formalization of an organization establishing rules and regulations, give the managers of the organization a proper direction in its administration. The adherence of these organizational norms will definitely bring about effective administration. Therefore, when we talk about effective administration we are talking about a management that carry out its responsibilities according to laid down rules and regulations, with a view to achieving organization goals.
The Nigerian public sector today is faced with several administrative ineffectiveness which had caused unprecedented damages to the economy. Several government owned companies and parastatals have either wound up or become dormant and unproductive. This is in spite of the fact that work in these organizations is departmentalized; division of labour and each department has a competent staff at the helm of affairs. The situation maladministration, in the public sector is so worrisome that one is tempted to ask if actually there are Internal Audit department in practice and what role it has been playing in public sector administration. It is in view of that, this study is designed to examine the role of internal auditing in effective public sector administration.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Organization of different categories (private/public organization) often encounter problems of financial irregularities, ineffectiveness, maladministration, non-compliance of laid down policies. Excessive and/or inexplicable expenses and elaborate internal control system on records does not guarantee a good system in operation. If so what are the factors responsible for it? How can organizations have an effective and efficient administration and maintain the completeness and accuracy of records?
The occurrence of insufficiencies had however, become more prominent in Government parastatals, could it be as a result of inadequate internal auditing. The worrisome nature of this act has therefore necessitated the following questions.
· How effective is internal auditing in public sector?
· To what extent are accounting records reliable for the production of appropriate revenue.
· Does the policies and producers established by accounting standard for public sector in use?
· What are the consequences of inadequate internal auditing in public sector?
· Is there any way of restricting or replacing the existing audit system for proper effective accounting in public sector administration?
This study will therefore investigate internal auditing and public sector administration effectiveness.
1.3 STATE OF OBJECTIVE
The importance of adequate internal auditing to both governmental and non-governmental organizations cannot be over emphasized. For these reasons the following objectives for this study include:
· To determine whether there is an effective internal auditing in the public sector administration.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACTThis study examined the impact of dividend yield on stock prices of Nigerian banks; theimpact of earnings yield on stock prices of Nigeria ban...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The banking industry is under going a period of transformation and this requires new orientation ...Continue Reading »
3. THE PROBLEM MILITATING AGAINST EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF BIOLOGY IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN IGBO-EZE NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU ...» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The term science has to do with nature; it is derived from the latin word scientia which means knowledge. It is a ...Continue Reading »
4. APPLICATION OF MARKETING CONTROL TECHNIQUES IN MANUFACTURING FIRMS IN ENUGU L.G.A OF ENUGU STATE (A CASE STUDY OF EMENITE LIMITED EMENE ENUGU STATE)» CHAPTER ONE 1: 1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Marketing plays a dominant role in the successful management of business in the world of Drucker [1973; 9] bu...Continue Reading »
5. THE EFFECT OF FOREIGN EXCHANGE RISK MANAGEMENT ON FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE OF MICROFINANCE INSTITUTIONS IN KENYA» ABSTRACT Foreign exchange risk management is complex and requires a thorough understanding of the MFI’s business needs, its internal and externa...Continue Reading »
6. PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE: A CASE OF TELECOMMUNICATION FIRMS IN KENYA» ABSTRACT Today’s competitive environment has pushed corporate firms, both in the private and public sector, to employ project management techniq...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Decision making is a major responsibility of all administrators. It is the process of choosing fr...Continue Reading »
8. THE IMPACT OF UNEMPLOYMENT ON YOUTH DEVELOPMENT AND NATION BUILDING IN SOME SELECTED L. G.A IN EBONYI STATE» ABSTRACT This research work made effort to examine empiricallythe impact of unemployment on youth development and nation building, using Afikpo, Ivo a...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.0 INTRODUCTION The world of study is full of discoveries and innovations. Through intensive question and enquires. ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Innovativeness is one of the fundamental instruments of growth strategies to enter new markets, t...Continue Reading »