Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 33 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The method of undetermined coefficient has been used as a tool for solving a particular non homogeneous differential equation.
One of the main advantages of this method is that it reduces the problem down to an algebra problem. The algebra can get messy on occasion, but for most of the problems it will not be terribly difficult. Another nice thing about this method is that the complementary solution will not be explicitly required, although as we will see knowledge of the complementary solution will be needed in some cases and so we’ll generally find that as well.
There are two disadvantages to this method. First, it will only work for a fairly small class of g(t)’s. The class of g(t)’s for which the method works, does include some of the more common functions, however, there are many functions out there for which undetermined coefficients simply won’t work. Second, it is generally only useful for constant coefficient differential equations.
The method is quite simple. All that we need to do is look at g(t) and make a guess as to the form of YP(t) leaving the coefficient(s) undetermined (and hence the name of the method). Plug the guess into the differential equation and see if we can determine values of the coefficients. If we can determine values for the coefficients then we guessed correctly, if we can’t find values for the coefficients then we guessed incorrectly.
It’s usually easier to see this method in action rather than to try and describe it, so let’s jump into some examples.
1.2 STATEMENT OF RESEARCH PROBLEM
What really instigated the study was due to over involvement of integration in solving differential equations by other method. There have been some problems in solving non-homogenous differential equation using other methods.
Although there are two disadvantages to this method; first, it will only work for a fairly small class of g(t)’s. The class of g(t)’s for which the method works, does include some of the more common functions, however, there are many functions out there for which undetermined coefficients simply won’t work. Second, it is generally only useful for constant coefficient differential equations.
The study will use the problems below to test for the efficiency of the use of the method of undetermined coefficient in solving differential equations:
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The main aim of the research work is to examine the relevance of the method of undetermined coefficient in solving differential equations. Other specific objectives of the study include:
1. To examine the efficiency of the use of undetermined coefficient in solving differential equation
2. To it reduces differential equation down to an algebra problem
3. To determine the factors affecting the efficiency of the use of the method of undetermined coefficient in solving differential equation
4. To proffer solution to the above problems
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The study came up with research questions so as to ascertain the above stated objectives. The research questions for the study are stated below as follows:
1. What is the efficiency of the use of undetermined coefficient in solving differential equation?
2. How the method of undetermined coefficient does reduce differential equation down to an algebra problem?
3. What are the factors affecting the efficiency of the use of the method of undetermined coefficient in solving differential equation?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The study on the relevance of the method of undetermined coefficient will be of immense benefit to the entire mathematics department as it will solve differential equations using the method of undetermined coefficient. Finally the study will be of great importance to other research students that wishes to carryout similar research on the above topic.
1.6 SCOPE OF STUDY
The study will be limited to only the relevance of the use of the method of undetermined coefficient in solving second order differential equation
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
DIFFERENTIAL EQUATION: an equation involving derivatives of a function or functions.
COEFFICIENT: a numerical or constant quantity placed before and multiplying the variable in an algebraic expression (e.g. 4 in 4x y)
RELEVANCE: the quality or state of being closely connected or appropriate.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MATHEMATICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. DEVELOPMENT OF AN OPTIMIZED PRIORITY BASED CPU SCHEDULING ALGORITHM TO MINIMIZE STARVATION OF PROCESSES USING AN EFFICIENCY FACTOR» ABSTRACT The priority based CPU scheduling algorithm (i.e. Shortest Job First (SJF) or Priority Scheduling (PS)) is a kind of scheduling algorithm tha...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Meningococcal disease is a serious health threat in the human body which begins rapidly with a relative high case fatality rate particularly ...Continue Reading »
3. ASSESSMENT AND FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR MASS FAILURE OF MATHEMATICS IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION IN KADUNA NORTH L.G.A KADUNA ST...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study For Nigeria to realize her dream in the development of Junior Secondary Schools, the students of ...Continue Reading »
4. EFFECT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) ON PUPILS’ ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IN MATHEMATICS IN EKET LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF AKWA IBOM S...» ABSTRACT This study examined Effect of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) on Pupils’ Academic Achievement in Mathematics in Eket Loc...Continue Reading »
5. A STUDY OF THE PREVALENCE OF HIV/AIDS USING CANONICAL CORRELATION ANALYSIS (A CASE STUDY OF GENERAL HOSPITAL MINNA)» ABSTRACTThis research aimed at fitting canonical correlation model that is capable of determining whether literacy level, age, marital status and gend...Continue Reading »
6. MAGNETOHYDRODYNAMIC UNSTEADY FREE CONVECTION FLOW PAST VERTICAL POROUS PLATES WITH SUCTION AND OSCILLATING BOUNDARIES» ABSTRACT In this dissertation, the problems of Magnetohydrodynamic unsteady free convection flow past vertical porous plates with suction and oscillat...Continue Reading »
7. A STUDY OF COMMON FIXED POINT APPROXIMATIONS FOR FINITE FAMILIES OF TOTAL ASYMPTOTICALLY NON EXPANSIVE SEMI GROUP IN HYPERBOLIC SPACES» ABSTRACT In this dissertation, a multi step iterative scheme was used to establish the strong and convergence theorems for ﬁnite families of uniform...Continue Reading »
8. TO DEVELOP MATHEMATICAL MODELS FOR POWER LOSSES ALONG TRANSMISSION LINES AND TO MINIMIZE THE LOSSES USING CLASSICAL OPTIMIZATION TECHNIQUES» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Energy is a basic necessity for the economic development of a nation. There are different...Continue Reading »
9. IMAGES OF MATHEMATICS STAKEHOLDERS IN TEACHING AND LEARNING MATHEMATICS AT SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN SOKOTO STATE» ABSTRACT The study was conducted for images of mathematics stakeholders in teaching and learning mathematics at secondary schools. For the purpose of ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Differential equations can describe nearly all systems undergoing change. They are ubiquitous is ...Continue Reading »