Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 39 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the study
The mass media perform a number of functions in every society. In performing its functions they do not work in isolation, but work hand in hand with other social institutions like family, religions institutions, educational institutions, economic institutions and cultural institutions. This work is on the role Gift and progress FM Broadcasting (FRCN) play in the rural development of Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti in Taraba and Ekiti State respectively.
The Mass Media beyond being a socializing agency, Umechukwu, (200, Pg.21) made us understand that the mass media with their incalculable potentials, derived fundamentally from their transitional roles of education, entertainment, cultural transmission and surveillance of the society.
Okunna (1999, p.108) in her reflections on the social functions of the mass media maintains that mass media as a socializing, agency work closely with other socializing agencies like family, church, school and the peer groups through the process of socialization, the individual is made aware of the value, norms, and acceptable behavioural patterns of the society, they provide a common body of knowledge, the internization of which enables people to operate as effective members of the society.
The invention of Radio had a very good influence as a medium towards information, dissemination, education and entertainment; that is why scholars like Gebner (2000, p.21) went into intense study to find out its effect on the listeners, Murrow, (1998, p. 90) states that this instrument can teach, it can even inspire, but to the extent that human beings are determined to use it to those ends, this tells us that though Radio is powerful, we can only harness its powers through effective use.
Another role which the FM play especially in rural development is on influencing and shaping our behavioural patterns. Virtually no aspect of our habits, desires and relationships both as individuals and as groups escape examinations in our public media, getting along with neighbours, personal problems and our taste in popular music, social and religious tensions, athletics and trends in fashion among others are constantly reported and discussed in the press, book, radio and television programmes.
Moemeka, A.A. (1981), it is known that rural communication in Nigeria have always been a beacon of hope throughout history in Nigeria and has always sustained the urban community development. But the hope of the rural communities is yet increasing every day, as regard to Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti, in Taraba and Ekiti state respectively, 80% of people expect more from FM radio stations, thus constitutes more to rural development.
In spite of this, the contribution of rural communities have not received the adequate attention which they deserve although the government is doing everything within its power to see that this situation is uplifted, government has also realized that it has not been making effective use of the radio as a means of reaching out to the rural development even with regards to Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti, Taraba and Ekiti State respectively.
This has invariably constituted a serious impediment to systematic development in the nation because rural development remains the spring board for state and national development in the rural sector.
Again, Nwosu (1990, p.2) maintain that communication is central to rural and national development and that is a catalytic effect to the development of other sectors of the economy and it should never be neglected, this means that Gift and Progress FM should be concerned with the rural development of the people of Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti rural community and should realize the ubiquities nature of communication media of the FM and employ them all in their FM rural programmes both during conception, planning and execution and they should involve the rural concerned. It is important therefore to investigate the affairs of the Gift and Progress FM and the role it plays in enhancing the rural development of the people in Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti, Taraba and EKiti State respectively.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
In this information age that sees communication as a vital instrument, the relevance which Radio has been playing has not been encouraging in the context of rural development in Nigeria. Even in a rural community like Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti of Taraba and Ekiti State respectively where FM is partially unavailable, information cannot be shared among the people who cannot understand English but can understand the local languages through listening to the radio and yet they maintain a stable system of living.
Most rural areas are devoid of social infrastructure which could have made life more comfortable to the rural dwellers. This situation can be traced to the failure of the government to help the masses in the rural areas.
Majidian (1977, p.22) opines that although the technology of communication provides unparalleled opportunities for economic, political, educational and cultural development. Its potential national development will remain unrealized unless it performs its roles effectively. The problem of this study can be deduced from the fore said of national population reside in rural areas. The rural areas are characterized by depressing annual income, poverty and penury manifested by widespread hunger, malnutrition, lack of access to formal and informal education. Babashola, C. (1995).
The mass media are mostly urban based then rightly accursed to its rural areas as rightly observed, the kind of mass communication system in some developing countries which is urban concentrated have invalidated that so much quest for New World Information and Communication Order (NWICO) which is the call by third world country of the rejuvenation of this nature to ascertain the relevance of mass communication in rural development.
Therefore, the problem of this research is, how can Gift and Progress FM promote the rural development in Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti?
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main objective of this study is to find out the role Gift and Progress FM stations plays in the rural development of Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti community in Taraba and Ekiti State, it also has the following objectives;
1. To investigate the role of FM Broadcasting in Rural development of Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti communities.
2. To examine the influence of Gift and Progress FM programmes in enhancing rural development in karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti.
3. To identify problems involved in the use of FM Broadcast for rural development.
4. To suggest solutions for the problems of broadcasting in Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti.
1.4 Research Questions
1. To what extent has the Rural FM Broadcasting helped Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti people?
2. Does FM broadcast play any role in rural development of Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti?
3. What are the problems involved in the use of FM Broadcast for rural development?
4. What are the solutions for the problems of broadcasting in Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti?
1.5 Scope of the Study
The scope of my study revolves around the role of Gift and Progress FM in the rural development of Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti people in Taraba and Ekiti States.
1.6 Significance of the Study
The ultimate goal of this study is to discuss extensively the specific role of Gift and Progress FM plays in the rural development of Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti area of Taraba and Ekiti State. The study promises to be of immense value not only to the government and its functionaries but also to the business men and investors who will be coming up with tapping abundant natural resources in Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti area of Taraba and Ekiti state. This study being a relatively exploratory and pioneering work on the area will equally help prompt further researchers on exploring other roles and functions that Gift and Progress FM and the several tiers of government can play in the rural development of Karim Lamido and Asin Ekiti in Taraba and Ekiti State respectively.
1.7 Operational Definition of Terms
Mass Media: Are diversified media technologies that are intended to reach a large audience by mass communication at the same time, such as radio, television, films, newspaper, magazine, book, mobile and Internet etc.
Rural Area: outside city, found in or living in the country e.g. Villages and hamlets
Development: It means growth and progress.
FM: Frequency Modulation
FRCN: Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The English article system is a complex system that is nevertheless indispensable for users of English. The articles perform several importan...Continue Reading »
2. ROLE OF COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY IN IMPROVING WORK EFFICIENCY OF AIT STAFF (A STUDY OF AIT ABUJA)» CHAPTER ONE Introduction 1.1 Background of the Study Newsroom yesterday and today are far flung different. What it is yesterday was of Traditional met...Continue Reading »
3. RADIO LISTENERSHIP PATTERN AMONG MARKET WOMEN IN ILORIN METROPOLIS (A CASE STUDY OF GBAJI MARKET WOMEN, IBADAN AND OBADA WOMEN MARKET, IREE)» ABSTRACT This project has been written to help the reader or students especially students of mass communication to have a better understanding on the ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT To discover and appreciate the hazard (i.e. problem) and prospect of journalism in Nigeria there is the need to know the history of journalis...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study In a newspaper organization, there are various factors that determine the successful operation of...Continue Reading »
» ...Continue Reading »
7. AN APPRAISAL OF ELECTRONIC WALLET COMMUNICATION IN GROWTH ENHANCEMENT SUPPORT SCHEME OF AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENDA IN NAERLS» ABSTRACT The study appraises the Electronic Wallet communication platform under the Growth Enhancement Support Scheme (GESS). The revolution in the me...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT From all indications, it has become obvious that the mass media has a great role to play in the management of human rights abuse in Nigeria, ...Continue Reading »
9. ANALYSIS OF “THIS WEEK” IN THE COMMUNICATION CLIMATE OF EMPLOYEES OF ELF PETROLEUM NIGERIA LIMITED, PORT HARCOURT – RIVERS STATE» ABSTRACT This study was on the impact of “This Week” on the communication climate of employees of Elf petroleum Nigeria limited, EPNL, and...Continue Reading »
10. ANALYSIS COMPARATIVE OF THE PERFORMANCE OF JOURNALISTS IN GOVERNMENT AND PRIVATE OWNED MEDIA ORGANISATIONS» ABSTRACT This research work is aimed at finding the journalist that is freer between those in private and government owned media organizations, using ...Continue Reading »