Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 50 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Solid waste management has become the greatest problem facing many urban and semi-urban areas in Nigeria. The management of solid wastes in recent time has become a very big challenge. The problem of waste generation, handling and disposal has reached a disturbing level in Nigerian urban centers. The study analyzed domestic solid waste management strategies in Tunga, Chanchaga Local Government, Niger State, Nigeria. This was achieved through characterizing the types of domestic solid wastes generated in the study area, examining the domestic solid waste management strategies employed in the study area, identifying the key players in domestic solid waste management in the study area, examining the frequency of waste generated and waste disposed and ascertaining the effectiveness of the domestic solid waste management strategies employed in the study area. The primary data used in this study was obtained by direct field observations, questionnaire administration, oral interviews, images and photos of the study area. 327 out of 2040 households were sampled. The research questions were answered using tables of frequencies and percentages, bar and pie charts, Chi Square and Kruskal Wallis tests. The results showed that the kinds of domestic solid wastes generated in the study area were mainly organic, paper, plastic, old and rusted metals and textile wastes. The domestic solid waste management strategies in place were burning, open dumping and burying, with open dumping being the most common domestic solid waste management strategy practiced in the study area (about 72%). The key players involved in the management of solid wastes were the government and individual households. The daily generation of waste (about 74%) exceeded the daily disposal of wastes (about 49%) in the study area. 63% of the respondents reported that burning of domestic solid waste is effective, 84% reported that burying domestic solid wastes is effective while 14% reported that open dumping of domestic solid wastes is effective. The Chi Square analysis showed a significant difference between the frequency of wastes generated and waste disposed in the study area with an alpha value of 0.01, while the Kruskal Wallis H test showed no significant difference in the effectiveness of the domestic solid waste management strategies in the study area (α=0.646). The findings of this study showed that the methods of waste management adopted in the study area do not conform to sustainable waste management practices. This implies that much attention has not been given to domestic solid waste management in the study area. The study thus recommended Public Enlightenment and Education on issues of waste management and a better public awareness strategy on the subject matter, Increase in Waste Collection Frequency and the adoption of composting as a method of waste management since majority of the domestic solid waste generated is organic in nature.
1.1BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Waste management is a global environmental challenging issue that is severe
especially in developing countries where increased urbanization, poor planning and lack of adequate resources contribute to the poor state of Municipal Solid waste management (Mwanthi et al, 1997). Proper management of solid waste has been established to be critical to the health and well being of urban residents (World Bank, 2013).
According to the Federal Ministry of Environment waste is any damaged or useless material produced during or left over from human activities. The United Kingdom Environmental protection Board (1990), defines waste as any substance, a scrap material or an effluent or other unwanted surplus substance arising from the application of any process.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR GEOGRAPHY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT Industrial wastes have major impact on the environmental quality both nationally and globally. The waste produced could be hazardous in natur...Continue Reading »
2. A DISSERTATION SUBMITTED TO THE SCHOOL OF POSTGRADUATE STUDIES, AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARJA IN PARTIAL FULFILLMENT OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE AWAR...» ABSTRACT Trucking hasbecome the major and most important mean of transporting goods in Nigeria as a result of the collapse of the rail means. Due to t...Continue Reading »
3. WOMEN INFORMAL ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES AND HOUSEHOLD INCOME IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This research aim to study the participation of women in the informal economic activities and the extent of their contribution to household b...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The current ecological status of the Kagoro/Tsonje riparian forest was assessed and information was gathered on the flora and bird fauna, wat...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Water is an essential liquid to human lives and continuous existence of the ecosystem. Water has ...Continue Reading »
6. EFFECTS OF CHANGES IN COCOA PRODUCTION ON FARMERS LIVELIHOOD IN EMURE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, EKITI STATE NIGERIA» ABSTRACT There is a growing demand for the resuscitation of the cocoa industry in Nigeria largely due to the dwindling of the foreign exchange earning...Continue Reading »
7. EFFECTS OF PERIODIC MARKETS ON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF GIWA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study focuses on the effects of periodic markets on economic development of Giwa Local Government Area of Kaduna State. Purposive samplin...Continue Reading »
8. EFFECTS OF CHANGES IN COCOA PRODUCTION ON FARMERS LIVELIHOOD IN EMURE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, EKITI STATE NIGERIA» ABSTRACT There is a growing demand for the resuscitation of the cocoa industry in Nigeria largely due to the dwindling of the foreign exchange earning...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This report is concerned with work done and the skills acquired during the student industrial training which is primarily on survey and town ...Continue Reading »
10. THE ASSESSMENT OF URBAN EXPANSION IN AKURE-SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA USING REMOTE SENSING AND GIS TECHNIQUES.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study Urbanization as a process is a universal phenomenon being experienced all over the world, anywhere hu...Continue Reading »