Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This project work examines the geotechnical properties of lateritic soil in three located areas in which the two samples were taken from each location, namely Ikirun to osogbo Road, Ikirun to Ada Road and Ikirun to Iree Road. Lateritic soils were taken from each of the location for test. Tests were performed on that lateritic soils to determine its suitability for use in road construction. The tests performed on the soils were moisture content determination, liquid limit test, plastic limit test, shrinkage limit test, compaction test, C.B.R test, sieve analysis test. All the laboratory test were carried out in accordance with the requirement of the relevant British standard specification and America society for Highway testing materials after which conclusion was drawn. The lateritic soils from these three sample locations were very good materials for pavement structures construction after compacting the laboratory results with the standard requirement of different pavement structures.
The study of geotechnical properties of lateritic soil in Osun State is our main focus and objective, the lateritic soil materials that were investigated was taken in six different locations as follows:
1. Ikirun to Osogbo road
2. Ikirun to Iree road
3. Ikirun to Ada road.
The investigation helps to describe the sub-surface condition along the three locations and it provide an indication of the availability of materials suitable for pavement structure construction. The geotechnical properties of lateritic soil is important for an highway engineer to enable him to identify and classify the soil, measure its strength, evaluate its drainage properties and help in processing the soil as a highway material. Lateritic soil in the engineering field refers to all unconsolidated material in the earth crust i.e. all materials above bedrock.
A soil sample contains:
I. Mineral and organic particles.
The relative amounts of these three phases are indications of the soils properties and conditions. Lateritic soil is found in most area of Nigeria and constitutes the main construction material for roads, bridges, dams and residential and industrial building. The soil testing and quality control of material are designed and performed to ensure adequate quality of constitution as the construction project is being executed.
However, this involves laboratory and in-situ testing of materials and preparation and analysis of test results to ensure that works are performed strictly in accordance with the specification requirement. This project work therefore deals with all the laboratory tests which could be used to analyze the lateritic soil geotechnical properties.
1.1 AIMS OF STUDIES
The aim of this project work is to determine the geotechnical properties of the lateritic soil used for the construction of road in Osun State.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF STUDIES
1. To determine the suitability of the modified soil on civil engineering project.
2. To determine some physical properties of the lateritic soil for road construction in any civil engineering project.
3. To improve the strength of the soil in case of poor soil quality.
1.3 SCOPE OF THE PROJECT WORK
The scope of the project work formed to Osun State using Boripe and Ifelodun Local Government as a case studies. Two samples were take from each of three different locations namely, Ikirun to Osogbo road, Ikirun to Iree road, Ikirun to Ada road.
1.4 LIMITATION OF THE WORK
The following problems were encountered:
1. First problem of transportation from one sample location to the other.
2. Another problem encountered was non-stability of electricity at the soil laboratory where carrying out the test.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR GEOGRAPHY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT This study examines the rainfall and temperature anomalies at Sokoto for the period 1991 2010. The data on monthly rainfall and temperature o...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION The United Nations framework convention on climate change (UNFCCC) in 1992 made climate change a policy frame work of man...Continue Reading »
3. GEOGRAPHY TEACHERS AND STUDENTS PERCEPTION OF FACTORS AFFECTING STUDENTS PERFORMANCE IN GEOGRAPHY EXAMINATION» ABSTRACTThe summary of this finding is on teachers and students perception of factors affecting students performance in Geography Examinations. The st...Continue Reading »
4. A GEOSPATIAL ASSESSMENT OF AREAS VULNERABLE TO FLOODING WITHIN SOKOTO RIMA RIVER BASIN IN SOKOTO STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Flood is one of the most harmful natural disasters in the world. Its effect on human existence as well as the environment has been on the inc...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT In Kaduna State, poverty is rife and the aged are more at risk as most of them are no longer in the economically active phase of life and the...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Solid waste management has become the greatest problem facing many urban and semi urban areas in Nigeria. The management of solid wastes in r...Continue Reading »
7. EFFECTS OF PERIODIC MARKETS ON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF GIWA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study focuses on the effects of periodic markets on economic development of Giwa Local Government Area of Kaduna State. Purposive samplin...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEBACKGROUND TO THE STUDY1.1 IntroductionClimate change is one of the greatest contemporary environmental challenges and is global in dimensi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The Intergovernmental Panel on Flood (IPCC) (2007), views flood as statistically significant vari...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study investigated the generation of the solid waste in Achara layout and the effects of INTERNET WORK ENGINEERING LTD (a private sector ...Continue Reading »