Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This project work examines the geotechnical properties of lateritic soil in three located areas in which the two samples were taken from each location, namely Ikirun to osogbo Road, Ikirun to Ada Road and Ikirun to Iree Road. Lateritic soils were taken from each of the location for test. Tests were performed on that lateritic soils to determine its suitability for use in road construction. The tests performed on the soils were moisture content determination, liquid limit test, plastic limit test, shrinkage limit test, compaction test, C.B.R test, sieve analysis test. All the laboratory test were carried out in accordance with the requirement of the relevant British standard specification and America society for Highway testing materials after which conclusion was drawn. The lateritic soils from these three sample locations were very good materials for pavement structures construction after compacting the laboratory results with the standard requirement of different pavement structures.
The study of geotechnical properties of lateritic soil in Osun State is our main focus and objective, the lateritic soil materials that were investigated was taken in six different locations as follows:
1. Ikirun to Osogbo road
2. Ikirun to Iree road
3. Ikirun to Ada road.
The investigation helps to describe the sub-surface condition along the three locations and it provide an indication of the availability of materials suitable for pavement structure construction. The geotechnical properties of lateritic soil is important for an highway engineer to enable him to identify and classify the soil, measure its strength, evaluate its drainage properties and help in processing the soil as a highway material. Lateritic soil in the engineering field refers to all unconsolidated material in the earth crust i.e. all materials above bedrock.
A soil sample contains:
I. Mineral and organic particles.
The relative amounts of these three phases are indications of the soils properties and conditions. Lateritic soil is found in most area of Nigeria and constitutes the main construction material for roads, bridges, dams and residential and industrial building. The soil testing and quality control of material are designed and performed to ensure adequate quality of constitution as the construction project is being executed.
However, this involves laboratory and in-situ testing of materials and preparation and analysis of test results to ensure that works are performed strictly in accordance with the specification requirement. This project work therefore deals with all the laboratory tests which could be used to analyze the lateritic soil geotechnical properties.
1.1 AIMS OF STUDIES
The aim of this project work is to determine the geotechnical properties of the lateritic soil used for the construction of road in Osun State.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF STUDIES
1. To determine the suitability of the modified soil on civil engineering project.
2. To determine some physical properties of the lateritic soil for road construction in any civil engineering project.
3. To improve the strength of the soil in case of poor soil quality.
1.3 SCOPE OF THE PROJECT WORK
The scope of the project work formed to Osun State using Boripe and Ifelodun Local Government as a case studies. Two samples were take from each of three different locations namely, Ikirun to Osogbo road, Ikirun to Iree road, Ikirun to Ada road.
1.4 LIMITATION OF THE WORK
The following problems were encountered:
1. First problem of transportation from one sample location to the other.
2. Another problem encountered was non-stability of electricity at the soil laboratory where carrying out the test.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR GEOGRAPHY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT Industrial wastes have major impact on the environmental quality both nationally and globally. The waste produced could be hazardous in natur...Continue Reading »
122 pages | 89 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Economic development and underdevelopment is one aspect of the uneven spatial distribution of eco...Continue Reading »
75 pages | 1,005 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.0 Introduction Despite constitutional provisions and discussions on regional and international human rights treatie...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 1,332 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
4. THE IMPACT OF CLIMATE CHANGE ON GROUNDWATER BY STUDYING CLIMATE PARAMETERS OF THE SOIL AND ATMOSPHERE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Water is indispensable for life, but its availability at a sustainable quality and quantity is threat...Continue Reading »
99 pages | 999 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
» CHAPTERONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Rain is liquid water in form of droplets that have condensed from atmospheric water vapor and then...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 210 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction In every society whether rural or urban there is dominant economic activity engaged by large number of population of that...Continue Reading »
34 pages | 0 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
7. Physiochemical Characteristics and Environmental Impact of Effluent Wastes from PROMOTEX Industries, Nnewi.» ABSTRACT For a total period of four months, effluent, water and soil samples were collected on a monthly basis from an industrial area in Nnewi in Ana...Continue Reading »
113 pages | 185 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
» ABSTRACT This report is concerned with work done and the skills acquired during the student industrial training which is primarily on survey and town ...Continue Reading »
40 pages | 649 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
9. CHARACTERISTICS OF THE AGEING POPULATION IN DOGON DUTSE COMMUNITY OF JOS NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF PLATEAU STATE» ABSTRACT It is no longer stories that the population is globally aging. The growing number of the ageing persons has posed a great challenge on famili...Continue Reading »
97 pages | 469 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY
10. ASSESSMENT OF IMPROVED WATER AND SANITATION COVERAGE IN KADUNA SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study is an assessment of improved water and sanitation coverage in Kaduna South, Nigeria. Due to rapid urban and population growth, sani...Continue Reading »
103 pages | 75 hits | Source: GEOGRAPHY