Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦6,000
This project work is carried at the isolation and characterization of pathogenic bacteria from hawked suya meat, which were bought in full from the sellers and was collected in raps of aluminum foil. It was then taken to the laboratory for analysis the samples were homogenized and serial dilution of the sample was made out using 5 ml sterile pipette and test tubes. The dilution were then cultured on different media, macconkey agar, nutrient agar and blood agar end later incubated at 370c for 24 hours. Discrete bacteria colonies were observed and each colomy was gram stained and examined microscopically. Biochemical test were carried out to confirm the particular bacteria present. Bactering isolated were Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus, lactobacillus, streptococcus and Escherichia coli. Most at this microorganisms isolated are pathogenic and are toxic when ingested in contaminated suya meat. They are capable of causing illness. For instance staphylococcus aureus produce air exoticin and can withstand temperature of 1000c for 30 minutes. When ingested, if cause intoxication manifesting in 4-5 hours with acute diarrhoes vomiting and gastroenteritis lasting 6-8 hours.
Meat is an animal product. It is that part of animal that provides major source of protein in west African food.
There are different types of meat from different types of animals, eg pork meat (pig) multon (goat) beef (cow).
Meat can be served as prepared meat product eg corn beef, fried meat, cooked meat and suya, meat (smoke meat). Meat is a perishable food and its composition is ideal for the growth of wide range of spoilage bacteria. Public concern has vision due to numerous food scandals such as those surrounding bovine spongiform encephalopathy and roof and mouth disease epidemics and food borne disease which remain substantial burden . We can meet those challenges with an improved and global food safety control system. One possible improvement would be a rapid and accurate detection system for microbial spoilage. This technique should ideally also be non destructive and give result in real time for application in highly automated food processing environment.
Suya meat is produced by smoking the raw beef with the addition of some spices, salt, oil, groundnut cake and flavors. The meat is first sliced into smaller pieces and the spices are rubbed onto it, it is later oven dried or over a local source of heart. This allows the meat to get dried properly with the right taste before it is sold to the consumers.
This is sold at a specific joint or hawked. when it is sold at joint it is constantly kept warm over fire source. The hawked saya meat is carried about in open basin from place to place thereby exposing it to dust and other effects of the environment .by doing so, harmful organisms find their ways into the meat there by causing poisoning.
Food poisoning is an illness with acute gastro enteritis. it is as a major symptom caused by the ingestion of food causing harmful micro organisims or harmful substances. Tomatari (1983).
Some of the micro organisms present in suya that causes food poisoning when consumed are : Salmonella typhi, staphylococcus aureus, clostridum butilinum, clostridium preferring Bacillus cereces streptococcus progenies.
Some of these micro organisms in meat cause off shavours which make the meat to be unfit for eating and also reduce the taste value.
AIMS OF OBJECTIVE
This project research is designed to isolate and identify the common spoilage organisms of suya meat often production thereby ensuring the safety of the population at risk in eating containineted suya meat
HO: Hawked suya meat sold around ESBS metropolises contain pathogenic microorganisms
H1 Hawked suya meat sold around KSBS metropolies does not cantinas pathogenic micro organisms.
HI Hawked suya meat sold around KSBS, metropolies contain micro organisms but the load is not enough to cause disease.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The significance of this work is to enable those producers to improve the hygiene of the food (suya meat) and a good knowledge of safe food handling practice, suitable protective clothing to be worn and it will also enable us to be aware of various pathogenic organic and infection they transmit through food (suya meat) . As a result of this, the prevention of contamination of food is to be adhered to .This can be achieved by
-keeping high risk food at temperature that will inhibits the growth of bacteria
- Ensuring that during preparation, food is in the danger zone should be eliminated as fast as possible.
- Using suitable preservation such as salt and sugar.
- Using various packing method like glass wares.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Pathogenic organisms are organization that are referred to as specific health hazards associated with gastro intestinal disturbance causing illness. The victim suffered from obdominal pain and diarrhea with more vomiting thus diarrhea usually manifest the illness, which when untreated, may result to death. This has now made interest on how we can improve on our food hygiene to avoid contamination.
The project work is limited to the isolation and identification of bacteria associated with hawked Suya meat sold around KSBS Kastina state. This will help in increasing the health awareness of the public on the damages of eating hawked Suya meat. The project work would have covered the whole of Kastina urban but it was not possible due to financial and time constraints. During the course of this project work, constant power failure was experienced and this possessed a problem to media preparation and incubation.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE USE OF BITTERLEAF (VERNONIA AMYGDALINA) EXTRACT AS A MEANS OF EXTENDING THE SHELF-LIFE OF LOCALLY BREWED SORGHUM BEER» ABSTRACT Locally brewed beer (sorghum beer) is an indigenous alcohol average. It is produced mainly from sorghum grain (Sorghum vulgare ) and the proc...Continue Reading »
2. CHEMICAL COMPOSITION, SHELF- LIFE AND ORGANOLEPTIC EVALUATION OF COMPLEMENTARY FOODS BASED ON ACHA (Digitaria exilis), BENNE SEED (Sesamum indicum) AN...» ABSTRACT ) The study evaluated the chemical composition, nutrient adequacy, shelf life and organoleptic properties of complementary mixes based on &ld...Continue Reading »
3. THE EFFECT OF FERMENTATION ON NUTRITIONAL QUALITIES OF FORMULATED CEREAL/LEGUME FORTIFIED WEANING FOODS» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The first year of life is crucial in laying the foundation of good health and improving the quality of life of children. ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study examined the problems and prospects of oil palm cultivation using Nifor as a case study. In the process of the research questionna...Continue Reading »
5. PROFITABILITY AND TECHNICAL EFFICIENCY ANALYSIS OF RICE PRODUCTION IN ESAN CENTRAL AND NORTH EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» ABSTRACT This research was designed to access the Profitability and Technical Efficiency Analysis of Rice Production in Esan Central and North East Lo...Continue Reading »
6. COMPARATIVE STUDY ON THE NUTRIENT COMPOSITION, FUNCTIONAL PROPERTIES AND MICROBIAL LOAD OF SOME SPECIES OF GASTROPODS MEAT FLOURS» TABLE OF CONTENT Cover Page i Certification ii Dedication iii Acknowledgement iv Table of content v List of table vi List of figure vii Abstract viii ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Mangifera indica root is medically important species used to treat different diseases. The present work was aimed to screen the medicinal pla...Continue Reading »
8. ASSESSMENT OF HEAVY METAL CONTAMINATION IN IRISH POTATOES AND SOILS FROM AN ABANDONED MINING SITE IN JOS-SOUTH, USING AAS AND XRF TECHNIQUES.» ABSTRACT This study was undertaken to assay the elemental concentration in some Irish potatoes and soils from farmlands in an ex mining area at Dahwol...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to extract essential oils from cashew shell and its kernel and to characterize the oils; with the view to ascertai...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is an extremely versatile and delicious vegetable that possesses high nutritional value (M...Continue Reading »