Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This project work is carried at the isolation and characterization of pathogenic bacteria from hawked suya meat, which were bought in full from the sellers and was collected in raps of aluminum foil. It was then taken to the laboratory for analysis the samples were homogenized and serial dilution of the sample was made out using 5 ml sterile pipette and test tubes. The dilution were then cultured on different media, macconkey agar, nutrient agar and blood agar end later incubated at 370c for 24 hours. Discrete bacteria colonies were observed and each colomy was gram stained and examined microscopically. Biochemical test were carried out to confirm the particular bacteria present. Bactering isolated were Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus, lactobacillus, streptococcus and Escherichia coli. Most at this microorganisms isolated are pathogenic and are toxic when ingested in contaminated suya meat. They are capable of causing illness. For instance staphylococcus aureus produce air exoticin and can withstand temperature of 1000c for 30 minutes. When ingested, if cause intoxication manifesting in 4-5 hours with acute diarrhoes vomiting and gastroenteritis lasting 6-8 hours.
Meat is an animal product. It is that part of animal that provides major source of protein in west African food.
There are different types of meat from different types of animals, eg pork meat (pig) multon (goat) beef (cow).
Meat can be served as prepared meat product eg corn beef, fried meat, cooked meat and suya, meat (smoke meat). Meat is a perishable food and its composition is ideal for the growth of wide range of spoilage bacteria. Public concern has vision due to numerous food scandals such as those surrounding bovine spongiform encephalopathy and roof and mouth disease epidemics and food borne disease which remain substantial burden . We can meet those challenges with an improved and global food safety control system. One possible improvement would be a rapid and accurate detection system for microbial spoilage. This technique should ideally also be non destructive and give result in real time for application in highly automated food processing environment.
Suya meat is produced by smoking the raw beef with the addition of some spices, salt, oil, groundnut cake and flavors. The meat is first sliced into smaller pieces and the spices are rubbed onto it, it is later oven dried or over a local source of heart. This allows the meat to get dried properly with the right taste before it is sold to the consumers.
This is sold at a specific joint or hawked. when it is sold at joint it is constantly kept warm over fire source. The hawked saya meat is carried about in open basin from place to place thereby exposing it to dust and other effects of the environment .by doing so, harmful organisms find their ways into the meat there by causing poisoning.
Food poisoning is an illness with acute gastro enteritis. it is as a major symptom caused by the ingestion of food causing harmful micro organisims or harmful substances. Tomatari (1983).
Some of the micro organisms present in suya that causes food poisoning when consumed are : Salmonella typhi, staphylococcus aureus, clostridum butilinum, clostridium preferring Bacillus cereces streptococcus progenies.
Some of these micro organisms in meat cause off shavours which make the meat to be unfit for eating and also reduce the taste value.
AIMS OF OBJECTIVE
This project research is designed to isolate and identify the common spoilage organisms of suya meat often production thereby ensuring the safety of the population at risk in eating containineted suya meat
HO: Hawked suya meat sold around ESBS metropolises contain pathogenic microorganisms
H1 Hawked suya meat sold around KSBS metropolies does not cantinas pathogenic micro organisms.
HI Hawked suya meat sold around KSBS, metropolies contain micro organisms but the load is not enough to cause disease.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The significance of this work is to enable those producers to improve the hygiene of the food (suya meat) and a good knowledge of safe food handling practice, suitable protective clothing to be worn and it will also enable us to be aware of various pathogenic organic and infection they transmit through food (suya meat) . As a result of this, the prevention of contamination of food is to be adhered to .This can be achieved by
-keeping high risk food at temperature that will inhibits the growth of bacteria
- Ensuring that during preparation, food is in the danger zone should be eliminated as fast as possible.
- Using suitable preservation such as salt and sugar.
- Using various packing method like glass wares.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Pathogenic organisms are organization that are referred to as specific health hazards associated with gastro intestinal disturbance causing illness. The victim suffered from obdominal pain and diarrhea with more vomiting thus diarrhea usually manifest the illness, which when untreated, may result to death. This has now made interest on how we can improve on our food hygiene to avoid contamination.
The project work is limited to the isolation and identification of bacteria associated with hawked Suya meat sold around KSBS Kastina state. This will help in increasing the health awareness of the public on the damages of eating hawked Suya meat. The project work would have covered the whole of Kastina urban but it was not possible due to financial and time constraints. During the course of this project work, constant power failure was experienced and this possessed a problem to media preparation and incubation.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECT OF SPICES EXTRACT GINGER, EXTRACT GARLIC AND SALT CONCENTRATION ON THE MICROBIAL LOAD OF LOCUST BEAN SEEDS (Parkia biglobosa)» ABSTRACT Effect of spices (garlic and ginger extract) and salt concentration on the microbial load associated with process ‘Iru’ (Pakia bi...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 398 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
2. CONSUMPTION PATTERN OF ANTIOXIDANT RICH FOODS BY THE MIDDLE AGED ADULTS IN ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU STATE» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Background of the study Antioxidants are disease fighting compounds that nature puts in foods to help body cells and tiss...Continue Reading »
118 pages | 539 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
3. ASSESSMENT OF THE NUTRITIONAL STATUS OF STUDENTS IN COLLEGE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY KADUNA POLYTECHNIC, KADUNA STATE» ABSTRACT Nutritional status is a measure of the extent to which an individual’s physiological need for nutrient is met. Poor nutritional practic...Continue Reading »
41 pages | 84 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» ABSTRACTS Foodborne diseases remain a major cause of morbidity and mortality in the general population, particularly in vulnerable groups. These disea...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 504 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
5. ASSESSMENT OF LAND USE/LAND COVER CHANGE AND FLORISTIC COMPOSITION OF KUWANKA BANZA FOREST RESERVE KEBBI STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This research on assessment of land use/land cover change and floristic composition of Kuwanka Banza Forest Reserve in Kebbi State was carrie...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 162 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» Abstract The study focused on the effect of oil spillage on soil properties and plant performance in East Senatorial district of Bayelsa state. Five r...Continue Reading »
90 pages | 1,189 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» ABSTRACT The aim of this study is to assess nutrition in infancy, a case study of kawo general hospital, Kaduna. The specific objective of the study w...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 220 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY. Canteen services stated way back in the 18th centaury, food and snacks are served as to the taste of the client. ...Continue Reading »
53 pages | 510 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» Chapter One Introduction 1.1 Introduction Fruits and vegetables are important sources of essential dietary nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and fi...Continue Reading »
22 pages | 358 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
10. THE USE OF BITTERLEAF (VERNONIA AMYGDALINA) EXTRACT AS A MEANS OF EXTENDING THE SHELF-LIFE OF LOCALLY BREWED SORGHUM BEER» ABSTRACT Locally brewed beer (sorghum beer) is an indigenous alcohol average. It is produced mainly from sorghum grain (Sorghum vulgare ) and the proc...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 297 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY