Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This project work is the role of reward and punishment on student’s academic performance in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area of Edo state. In order to carryout the study, the researcher formulates research questions. A questionnaire made up of 20 items was used to elicit responses from the respondents. The population of the study consisted of students from selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area. The data was analyzed using a simple percentage. Discussion of results that emerged from the study revealed that there is high level of student’s population who takes to punishment as a habit. That majority learnt the act of punishment from their peer group etc. Based on the discussion of result, useful recommendations were made. It is my ardent believe that these recommendations when implemented by the authorities concerned will go a long way in stopping punishment among students in the locality.
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Reward and punishment are regarded as a complete important means through which a teacher can maintain his or her class discipline in the secondary schools. Many educationists and psychologists have expressed different views about the effective use of reward and punishment in the secondary schools.
As the study progresses, the research hopes to bring together the different views and feelings of others, so that the reader can be given sufficient ground on which to base his or her conclusion after reading this work. The issues of reward and punishment are mostly debated on the secondary school administered today most especially when they are related to learning process. It is equally an area of interest, which closely involves many teachers and parents who the need for education authority to define its limits, some scholars in their books suggested allowing nearly total freedom to children in learning process in the school. a prompt and an acceptable solution must be provided on this issue because the outcome will give a practical advice and guidance to those who are just entering the teaching career or to parents who show much interest over their children ‘s progress in life. This research work does not however, claim to solve the entire problems concerned with punishment and rewards in learning process in the schools, but rather it highlight some solutions which will be of great educational values to the parents as well as the public in general.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The work is on the study of the effects of reward and punishmenton academic performance of students in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area of Edo state. Many educationists psychologists have written many books covering this topic, the writer attempts in the study. Therefore to examine the views of some of these renowned writers in addition to the research findings and personal experience so as to be able to know the following problems.
1. To find out whether effective learning can take place in form of punishment.
2. Whether there is other method of learning effectively with reward and punishment.
3. If punishment has effect on the learning process of the students in secondary schools.
4. If reward and punishment can be combined so that much can be achieved in terms of educational objectives.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects and roles of rewards and punishment in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area of Edo state.
`Here the researcher will focus her attention on whether or not reward and punishment should be applied in the teaching and learning process in secondary schools.
The following schools were used for the purpose of this study.
1. Ogbe secondary school
2. Idia college secondary school
3. Emotan college secondary school
4. Oba Ewuare secondary school.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study is expected to be of much importance and beneficial to pupils and parents in Oredo local government area of Edo state. Through this study, they may come to appreciate the implication of reward and punishment in the secondary schools. It is hoped that this study will help the secondary schools’ administration in Oredo local government area to benefit and improve on the academic performance of their various schools.
` This study will also help to discover the effects of rewards and punishment on learning in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area of Edo state.
The following research questions are formulated to guide this study.
1. Does punishment has any effect on the learning process of the children in secondary schools?
2. Does effective learning always take place in the absence of any form of punishment?
3. Do parents and teachers support the use of punishment?
4. Does reward and punishment promote orb encourage learning?
5. Does punishment has negative effect on learning?
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is limited to the roles of rewards and punishment on pupils’ performance in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area of Edo state.
The following schools have been marked ads samples for the purpose of this study.
1. Ogbe secondary school
2. Oba Ewuare secondary school
3. Idia college secondary school
4. Emotan college secondary school
On completion of the research work the writer shall make the findings available to the headmasters of the schools where she conducted the research, such research work would be a solution to the research question stated on the paragraph dealing with the problem of the study.
The writer shall endeavour to brief the communities where she conducted her research work, the out come of the objectives of her interview with them, it will be a sort of enlightenment on the part of the investigators since the children are comparable to other children in the whole of Edo state because they run the same curriculum under the same brand of teachers, the finding of the research would be the same for other place in Edo state and infact elsewhere in the final outcome of this little research work will be of use to teacher, communities and education offices and also to policy makers.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Reward: is an act of appreciating a job well done.
Punishment: an act of correcting a wrong act or character exhibited.
Discipline: is the act of training people to obey rules and orders and punishing them if they do not control the situation that results from this training.
Investigation: is the act of official examination of the facts about a situation, crime etc. criminal murder police investigation.
Sufficient: enough for a particular purpose as much as you need or allow sufficient time to get there.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. APPROVAL OF STUDENTS PERFORMANCE IN SCIENCE SUBJECTS IN FINAL EXAMINATIONS IN GOMBE CENTRAL EDUCATION ZONE» Abstract The study sought to assess students performance in science subjects in final examination WAEC/NECO/NABTEB in Gombe Central Educational Zone G...Continue Reading »
2. INFLUENCE OF INSTRUCTIONAL AID IN IMPROVING THE TEACHING OF ACCOUNTING IN SECONDARY SCHOOL RIGACHIKUN INSPECTORATE» Abstract This research is on the study of the use of instructional materials in secondary schools in Rigachikun inspectorate are of Kaduna state. The ...Continue Reading »
3. FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR FAILURE OF THE STUDENTS’ IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE WORK EXAMINATION IN SELECTED TECHNICAL COLLEGES, GOMBE S...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study The survival of any nation depends largely upon the premium attached to the education of its citizens...Continue Reading »
4. ABORTION AS A CAUSATIVE FACTORS TO THE INCREASE IN MOTALITY RATE AMONG ADOLESCENT (AGES 13 – 20) IN OVIA SOUTH WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STA...» ABSTRACT The Nigeria society is very much concerned about the mortality rate of adolescents due to abortion. Abortion has been the major cause of adol...Continue Reading »
5. HOME VIDEO VIEWERSHIP AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN SELECTED PUBLIC SCHOOL(SCHOOLS IN KADUNA AS A CASE STUDY)» Abstract The study investigated the influence of home television viewing on academic achievement of children in upper Basic Education Level in Kaduna ...Continue Reading »
6. EFFECT OF PERIODIC TESTING ON STUDENT ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IN STUDYING ECONOMICS IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF JOS NORTH)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The evaluation of students’ progress and the ultimate level of achievement in schools is a very...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The increase of street trading and rape over the years in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo Stat...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The main objective of education being it formal or informal is to equip the student with the requ...Continue Reading »
9. ASSESSMENT OF HEALTH CARE SEEKING BEHAVIOUR AMONG THE MALE ADULTS IN ISIALANGWA SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, ABIA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. Background to the Study Health care seeking behaviour which is a sequence of remedial actions to address perceived ill h...Continue Reading »
10. SCHOOL VARIABLES AND STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN ECONOMICS IN ESSIEN UDIM LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» ABSTRACT This study examined the influence of school variables on academic performance of students in Economics in Essien Udim Local Government Area o...Continue Reading »