Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Background of the study
T There is no issue that should be addressed as a matter of urgent national importance than that of skills acquisition by the youth, considering the failure of our basic education to yield the expected positive result with its attendant consequences such as armed robbering, kidnapping, and host of others. This paper discuses the importance of skill acquisition in national development and suggests ways it can be encourage in the country. According to Encerta Dictionary (2009), a skill is seen as ability to do something well, usually gained through training or experience. Skill acquisition and generation of employment have remained a constant factor in Nigeria Government policy. The National Youth Employment and skills acquisition programme was initiated by the Government to promote self employment and self reliance in the generation of gainful self employment. The following study was designed to evaluate the effectiveness of the programme. The type of skill that can be acquired by the youth include
A-Vocational carpentry, hair dressing, fashion designing, tailoring etc
B- Mechanic, electrical, repair of GSM handset, wrist watches, air conditioners etc
C-Entrepreneurial (small scale business such as operation of kiosk, buying and selling of spare parts, restraints)
The youthful period which is a very critical one that have been noted as an essential time for training in entrepreneurship , provide a positive distractive from the self and aggressive behaviour that are frequently associated with adolescents and growing up (woolflk 1998). In a study of American adolescents in 1998 it was reported that a good number of the youth had little information about life and life expectation. If this is true, youths in a developed nation what can be said about Nigerian youth? This critical age however is the right time to teach them the concept of entrepreneurship to help them learn wealth creation.
The lack of acquisition of vocational skills on the part of individuals has been considered the bane of the economy of African societies, particularly Nigeria. This is so because in Nigeria for instance the education operated at post-independence placed emphasis on academic excellence rather than acquisition of vocational skills which prepare the individual for a more useful and fulfilling life within the society. In other word, the system focused on and emphases subject in the humanity of art at the expenses of vocational which can facilitate practical skill acquisition that is generally believed to be more relevant to the development of the nation. The system for so many years was carried on entirely like that without any conscious or deliberate effort to the cultural, social and ethical values of our society. It is now a well know fact that the system failed to achieve the desired objective that were expected from the education is considered the most effective means of bringing about total change that would ensure accelerated economic growth and national development for the country. There was a need to tailor the educational system to suit the local existential situation of Nigerians. This need culminated in the new national policy on education promulgated in 1977 and revised recently in 1998.
A fundamental change brought about by the new national policy on education was the recognition and introduction of vocational courses in the educational curriculum. The policy therefore marked a deliberate shift in emphasis from literary to science oriented education and training. The policy was considered land able because it was capable of promoting the appropriate skills at various levels of our educational system and thus promoting individual and national efficiency. It was also hope that the system would help check the high rate of unemployment and bringing about economic and social revolution in the country by producing self relent citizens if carefully pursued and implemented to the letter.
Nigerian experience fell short of what was expected, the problem then was over production of persons with litter or no relevant vocational ability. The education and training of people in the country remained lopsided. The adverse consequences was that the unemployment rate assumed as alarming proportion, in it frantic effort to seek away out of the problem, the Federal Government constituted a committee known as the Chukwuma committee on the 26th of march 1986 to consider appropriate strategies for dealing with the mass unemployment problem in the country under the aegis of the ministry of Employment labour and productivity. Under the policy, workers with no or little specialised training are apprentice for a period of one to three years after entering the enterprise. It is on record that the programme have assisted tremendously in the country procurement of solution to unemployment problem, shortage of skilled manpower and antisocial activities
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
More than half of the Nigerian population are under the age 30 according to 2006 census. Expectedly, today’s youth will become in a short decade tomorrows parents, youth are said to be confronted with poverty, unemployment, urbanization, lack of capacity skills needed to move the economy forward. Poverty which is a force for HIV/AIDS is very common this is because the youth faced unemployment and lack of necessary productivity skill to keep body and soul together. This reality leaves them without any meaningful means of sustainable livelihood.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
To evaluate the problems associated with skills acquisition in Nigeria.
To identify what stratagem that can be adopted to improve skill acquisition in male tailoring.
To suggest ways of encouraging skills acquisition in the country.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
1- This project will serve as a reference point to researchers who intend to carry out a research on this topic or any other related topics.
2- This research work will serve as a cell for youth to rice and depend on their skills and knowledge for self reliant and employment.
3- This research work will encourage the youth to know their God given potentials in them to be independent.
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
H0: major challenge faced by male tailors is independent of their academic qualification
H1: the major challenge faced by male tailors is not independent of their academic qualification
H0: lack of apprentice among male tailors is independent of academic qualification
H1: lack of apprentice among male tailors is not independent of academic qualification
H0: numbers of apprentice is independent of academic qualification of male tailors
H1: numbers of apprentice is not independent of academic qualification of male tailors
H0: major challenge faced by skill (male tailors)is independent of academic qualification
H1: major challenge faced by skill (male tailors) is not independent of academic qualification
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
1- As a tailor, what major challenge does your skill face?
2- What might be the cause of tailors not getting the needed number of apprentice?
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF STUDY
The scope of the study covers statistical analysis of problem associated with skill acquisition in Nigeria, but in the cause of the study, there are some factors that limited the scope of the study;
Availability of research material: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study.
Time: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
Finance: The finance available for the research work does not allow for wider coverage as resources are very limited as the researcher has other academic bills to cover.
1.7 OPERATIONAL DEFINITION OF TERMS
A skill is the ability to carry out a task with determined results often within a given amount of time, energy, or both. Skills can often be divided into domain-general and domain-specific skills
Skill acquisition is the ability to be trained on a particular task or function and become expert in it. It is a pity that there is “huge” parading of unemployment in many parts of the world today especially in Nigeria
Vocational skills are skills you gain toward becoming knowledgeable in a specific trade or profession
Organization of the study
This research work is organized in five chapters for easy understanding as follows Chapter one is concern with the introduction which consist of the (overview, of the study), statement of problem, objectives of the study, research question, significance or the study, research methodology, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study it’s based thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion and recommendations made of the study.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. IMPACT OF DEVIANT BEHAVIOUR ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS» ABSTRACT The descriptive survey research was adopted in this study. It is an attempt to investigate the impact of deviant behaviour on the academic pe...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 50 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
2. THE ROLE OF NATIONAL AGENCY FOR FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION AND CONTROL (NAFDAC) IN CONSUMER PROTECTION IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED PUR...» TABLE OF CONTENTS CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study 1.2 Significance of the Study 1.3 Scope of the Study 1.4 Statement of the P...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 86 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
3. PERCIEVED SOCIO ECONOMIC AND RELIGIOUS CAUSES OF STREET BEGGING IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF NIGER STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Begging in the streets of Nigeria is one of the perennial activities and perhaps occupations of the h...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 72 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
4. AN ANALYSIS OF TEACHERS’ PERCEPTION OF THE SUPERVISORY BEHAVIOUR OF SCHOOL INSPECTORS» Abstract The purpose of the study was to investigate the teachers’ perception of the supervisory behavior of school inspectors in Uhunmwonde LGA...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 52 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
5. THE EFFECT OF CAREER CHOICE ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN EGOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» ABSTRACT This study is aimed at identifying the factors affecting career choice among senior secondary schools students in Egor Local Government Area ...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 46 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
6. THE EFFECT OF QUALITIES OF HOME ECONOMICS TEACHERS ON THE PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS IN WASSCE» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Teachers’ quality has been the focus of considerable debated worldwide since the middle of 20th...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 83 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
7. EFFECT OF CHILD LABOUR ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ISOKO SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF DELTA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study A child is a person between the age of 18 months and l3 years. However, children are one of the m...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 52 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
8. THE PROBLEM OF LEARNING BUSINESS EDUCATION IN TERTIARY INSTITUTION (A CASE STUDY OF UNIBEN)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study Globally, a number of students are pursuing university education. The need to raise their status ...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 112 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
9. NFLUENCE OF ENTREPRENEURIAL EDUCATION ON WOMEN AND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT IN YAKUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF CROSS RIVER STATE» 1.0 Introduction Nigeria is a country with numerous business and investment potentials due to the abundant, vibrant and dynamic human and natural reso...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 37 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
10. THE EFFECT OF AUTOCRATIC LEADERSHIP STYLE ON EMPLOYEE PRODUCTIVITY (A CASE STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA PHCN)» ABSTRACT Autocratic leadership style is a system of leadership in which the leaders use in controlling the subordinates, has unrestricted power, it is...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 53 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | EDUCATION DEPARTMENT