Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 64 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis, Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The basic objective or goal of teaching at any level of education is to bring a fundamental change on the learner (Tebabal & Kahssay, 2011). To enhance the process of knowledge transmission, teachers are advised to apply appropriate teaching methods that best suit specific goals and purposes. In the traditional epoch, many teaching practitioners widely applied teacher-centered methods to impart knowledge to learners as against student-centered methods. Until today, questions about the effectiveness of teaching methods on student learning ability have consistently raised considerable interest in the thematic field of educational research (Hightower, 2011). Moreover, research on teaching and learning constantly endeavour to examine the extent to which different teaching methods especially the discussion method of teaching enhance growth in student learning. Quite remarkably, regular poor academic performance by the majority students is fundamentally linked to application of ineffective teaching methods by teachers to impact knowledge to learners (Adunola, 2011). Substantial research on the effectiveness of teaching methods indicates that the quality of teaching is often reflected by the academic achievements of learners. According to Ayeni (2011), teaching is a process that involves bringing about desirable changes in learners so as to achieve specific outcomes. In order for the method used for teaching to be effective, Adunola (2011) maintains that teachers need to be conversant with numerous teaching strategies especially the discussion method of teaching that take recognition of the magnitude of complexity of the concepts to be covered.
There have been debates over time to establish whether teaching is a skill or an art. Some students believe in their teacher's performance as quite brilliant, others get motivated and excited with the presentation and teaching. For some others, their teachers bore them making the lesson dry hard and leaving them more confused. All of these enthusiasms and opinions are eventually translated into students' learning ability. However, what is pertinent in teaching and learning is the ability to apply skills to the art of teaching with sole objective of enhancing learning. A blend of skills and art in teaching is also manifested in clearly structure lessons and manner of presentation. A teacher who can effectively do this is an active constructor of learning, who can, and should transmit knowledge, but should allow students voices to be heard as contributing members of class. This is typical in a discussion class. The teacher teaches, asks questions, and in doing so, he hears his voice. But he does not stop at that. In hearing his own voice, he begins to appreciate the need to hear the voices of those he teaches. This elicits a more participatory teaching, which can stimulate imaginative and conceptual thinking amongst students.
STATEMENT OF THE GENERAL PROBLEM
The poor performance of secondary school students in both internal and external examinations has been a cause for serious concerns with many questioning the teaching method adopted in teaching which in most cases are not students friendly which at the end of the day results to poor or average performances as a result of difficulty in learning as regards the teaching methods adopted in secondary schools. These continuous poor performances have resulted to the poor development of secondary schools in Nigeria.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The major aim of the study is to examine the effectiveness of discussion method in teaching and learning of social studies in selected junior secondary schools in Nigeria. Other specific objectives of the study include;
- To examine the teaching methods adopted in selected junior secondary schools in Nigeria.
- To determine the influence of teaching methods on students academic performances in social studies.
- To assess the importance of adopting friendly teaching method in teaching social studies in junior secondary schools.
- To recommend ways of further improving students learning ability in junior secondary schools in Nigeria.
- What are the teaching methods adopted in selected junior secondary schools in Nigeria?
- What is the effect of teaching methods on students’ academic performances in social studies?
- What is the importance of adopting friendly teaching method in teaching social studies in junior secondary schools?
- What are the ways of further improving students learning ability in junior secondary schools in Nigeria?
H0: Discussion method of teaching social studies does not have an effect on students learning ability and academic performance.
H1: Discussion method of teaching social studies has an effect on students learning ability and academic performance.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study would be of immense importance to the development of secondary schools and also in enhancing students learning ability as it would reveal the effectiveness of discussion method in teaching and learning social studies in Nigeria. The research would also be beneficial to students, researchers and scholars who are interested in developing further research on the subject matter.
SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The work is restricted to the effectiveness of discussion method in teaching and learning of social studies in some selected junior secondary schools in gwagwalada area council in Abuja.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT This survey research conducted to find out the effect of marital conflict on student academic achievement in secondary school of Jere Local G...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Teachers’ quality has been the focus of considerable debated worldwide since the middle of 20th...Continue Reading »
3. THE ROLE OF SUPERVISION IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF PRIMARY EDUCATION (A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN SOKOTO METROPOLIS» ABSTRACT In this research project, an attempt was made by the researcher to find out the role of supervision in the development of primary education i...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The descriptive survey research was adopted in this study. It is an attempt to investigate the impact of deviant behaviour on the academic pe...Continue Reading »
5. A CRITICAL ANAYSIS OF THE CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF MASS FAILURE IN MATHEMATICS IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA)» 1.0 INTRODUCTION In recent years, student academic achievement in senior secondary school certificate examination mathematics. The word “Mathema...Continue Reading »
6. IMPACT OF FAMILY BACKGROUND ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN NIGERIA(A CASE STUDY OF OSUN STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY During the last two decades education institutions have invested heavily in information and commu...Continue Reading »
7. FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH MASS FAILURE STUDENTS IN BIOLOGY IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS (Case Study of Logo Local Government Area of Benue State)» CHAPTER 1INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The teacher of Biology has been facing a lot of problems especially in secondary school in Logo Loca...Continue Reading »
8. THE PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF TEACHING CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU SOUTH L.G.A)» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to investigate the problems and prospects of teaching of Christian Religious Studies in secondary schools with a p...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study The applicability of sexuality education in elementary school is still a debatable issue in the p...Continue Reading »
10. THE EFFECT OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC BACKGROUND ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL BIOLOGY STUDENTS (CASE STUDY OF ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA ...» Abstract This study determined the effect of socio Economics background on Academic performance of Secondary school Biology Students in order to study...Continue Reading »