Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
As the world is becoming a global village. The use of computer in our education sector becomes very important. This study was undertaken to asses the extent of use of instructional materials in effective teaching and learning of Computer Science in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North L.G.A. The study considered the availability of National curriculum, functional computer system, laboratory facilities, quality computer textbooks and the use of qualified computer teachers as contributing variables. The study also dealt with the method of which all the data to build up this work followed and their presentations and analysis. Consequent upon these, the researcher sets up four research questions to address the issue. Subsequently, questionnaire items were designed to seek for responses in investigating the research questions. The data collected from ten samples schools were analysed using statistical analysis. The findings of the analysed results are Computer Science curriculum is largely used in teaching and learning Computer Science; there is a low level of the availability of Computer Science textbooks. Computer Science laboratories are poorly used in junior secondary schools. Computer Science teachers are competent and committed in teaching of computer science. The researcher recommended that the government should make available funds for procurement computer laboratory and computer systems in schools.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Over the years, Nigeria has embarked on a scientific, industrial and technological take-off. The national policy on education (FRW 2004) can only be attained if Nigerian citizens are properly equipped with necessary knowledge and skills offered in Computer Science by the use of adequate instructional materials in teaching/learning.
Computer has continued to play significant role in the development of any society. Indeed computer is a basic tool in realizing the nations scientific and technological aspirations. According to Attach (2003) computer is an electronic and automatic machine that accepts data through the central processing units. It has been seen as a factor in the development and understanding of any society or nation since the world is a global village. Computer is taught to people to enable them think creatively and constructively in computer terms and to apply it in the analysis of data.
Today, mysteries of nature cannot be understood without the knowledge of computer. Inspite of the important place of computer in our educational system, students in junior secondary schools continually register fair performances (Obodo 2002). According to Betiku (2002) the fair performance may be due to methodology of teaching attitude of teachers or lack of interest by students. Having seen the important of computer as an inevitable tool for human and technological development, it is necessary to look into the use of instructional materials for effective teaching and learning. The understanding mostly in junior secondary school. Obodo (2004) mentioned many reasons abound why there is need to advocate for the use of instructional materials. Policy makers on the other hand see it as the way to simulate and maintain interest of students while in class. Because of these conflicting views on the use of instructional materials for effective teaching and learning of Computer Science associated, following its overwhelming important as attested by various authors and philosophers in the background, we therefore consider it necessary to conduct a survey on the extent of use of instructional materials for effective teaching/learning of Computer Science in junior secondary schools.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Education is dynamic. This is because societal needs and problems change with time. With the emergence of computer, the world is fast becoming a global village.
Getting a job or carrying out transactions like internet services are increasingly becoming difficult without possessing computer literacy.
The use of computer indeed Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) suddenly become usual in many sectors on national development (Imoko and Kurumen 2007)
In our educational sectors for instance students and teachers searches for material on internet. And this can be possible by acquisition of computer knowledge.
Hence, no nation in our modern world can claim educational functionality in the absence of an effective teaching and learning of computer (lyeke and Abongund 2007) To these effect, it becomes important to investigate the use of instructional material for effective teaching and learning of Computer Science in junior secondary schools in Enugu, Educational zone
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The aim of the study is mainly to investigate the extent of the use of instructional material in teaching and learning of Computer Science in junior secondary school in Enugu Education zone.
1) to find out the extent of use of national junior secondary school curriculum.
2) to find out the extent of use of quality computer science textbook for Junior Secondary Schools
3) to determine the extent of the availability and use of functional computer laboratory in Junior Secondary Schools
4) to find out if qualified computer science teachers are employed to teach in Junior Secondary Schools
5) to determine the extent of teaching Computer Science in junior secondary schools.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The result of this study will help to improve the use of instructional materials in teaching/learning of computer science in junior secondary schools. In Enugu-education zone.
It will assist the curriculum planners in reviewing the curriculum. It will assist the teacher in the use of instructional materials in teaching and learning of Computer Science.
It will also assist the teacher to recognize the important of instructional materials in attaining the stated objectives.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study is investigation of the extent of use of instructional materials in effective teaching and learning of Computer Science in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu education zone comprising of thirty five (35) in junior secondary schools in Enugu north, Enugu east, Enugu south and Isiuzo local government areas.
1.7 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the extent of use of national junior secondary school curriculum?
2. To what extent is the use of quality computer text books to junior secondary schools?
3. How available is the extent of use of quality computer laboratory in Junior secondary schools?
4. What is the extent of the competence and commitment of Computer Science teachers in junior secondary schools?
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
There is no study undertaken by a researcher that is perfect. The imperfection of any research is always due to some factors negatively affecting a researcher in the course of carrying out research. Therefore, time constraint has shown no mercy to the research. The limited time has to be shared among many alternative uses, which includes reading, attending lectures and writing of this research, also distance and its attendant costs of travelling to obtain information which may enhance the writing of this study was a major limitation.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE EFFECTS OF POOR FUNDING OF PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE PUBLIC LIBRARY OWERRI)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The public library is a social institution which is tied to the political and social realities of the communities where i...Continue Reading »
2. ANALYSIS OF STUDENTS’ PERFORMANCE IN WASSCE ON THE MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ZARIA AND GIWA EDUCATION ZONES, KADUNA STATE, NI...» ABSTRACT This study aims at analyzing the Students‟ Performance in (WASSCE) on the management of public senior secondary schools in Zaria and Giwa E...Continue Reading »
3. THE ATTITUDE OF UNDERGRADUATE SANDWICH STUDENTS TOWARDS FAMILY PLANNING METHODS AT UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS.» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to assess the level of awareness of contraceptives among female undergraduate sandwich students at University of...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study The issue of pregnancies among unmarried teenage girls seems to be one of the social problems fac...Continue Reading »
5. COMPARISON OF ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND INTEGRATED SCIENCE IN EXTERNAL EXAMINATION» Abstract The study compared the scores of students in English Language and Integrated Science at the Junior Secondary School Certificate Examination (...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was on the factors associated with mass failure of students in the Christian religious studies in secondary schools in Nsukka L.G....Continue Reading »
7. INFLUENCE OF PARENTAL DISCIPLINARY STYLES ON ADOLESCENT STUDENTS TRUANT BEHAVIOUR IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN KANO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Parents are major influence in their children‟s live, thus their perception of how children thi...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This study was carried out on the effect of poor attitude of teaching in Nigeria. Teacher’s attitude towards teaching profession can ei...Continue Reading »
9. INFLUENCE OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS ON STUDENTS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN MATHEMATICS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN OYO» ABSTRACT The aim of this paper is to investigate the influence of instructional materials to the academic performance of secondary school students in ...Continue Reading »
10. AN ASSESSMENT ON THE EFFECTS OF ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE MATCHES SHOWING ON DSTV ON NIGERIA YOUTHS (A CASE STUDY OF NASARAWA STATE UNIVERSITY...» ABSTRACT The research proffer an assessment of the effect of English premiership matches on youths.It appraises the current trend of wide support,inte...Continue Reading »