1.1 Background of the study
Electronic communication has become an
integral part of our global
society. Presently, information is at the doormat of everybody because the worldis in the era of information technology. This cannot be compared to few decadesback when it takes weeks for one to communicate through letter writing to abeloved one within in or outside the country. In this technological era, informationis no longer left for only a few privileged people who can afford the use of landline telephone in offices and homes. Even the people in the remotest village inNigeria and elsewhere can access information through the cell phone, availableinternet and social networking sites.Social networking is a means of communication through which tools likewall posts, status updates, activity feeds, thumbs ups and profiles are used andperhaps characterized online communications namely face book, Myspace Metlog,flicker and twitter (Akaneme, Ibenegbu &Nwosu, 2013). Also, Mashable (2015)opined that social networking service is an online platform or site thatfocuses onfacilitating the social relations among people who, for example, share interests,activities, backgrounds or real life.In the opinion of Ferguson (2007), social networking is online destinationwhich focuses on connecting people they already know and those they do notknow. Similarly, Abd-Rahman (2013) described social networking as the use of online sites (social networking sites) for people to get to know new people, sharetheir profiles, trace their old friends, share pictures, videos, publish upcomingevents of their societies, and counties.
In operational terms, social networking is a platform through which
individuals’ interest, profiles, pictures, activities, events or news and academicissues are shared and communicated so as to maintain and adopt substantialbalance between their academic requirement and individual interest. Socialnetworking as advent of era of information is the use of dedicated websites whichenable social interaction and applications to interact with other users or findpeople with similar interest to their own.
Presently, social networking as a new development has been described as astage for facilitation and development of adolescents’ social adaptation(Subrahmanyam & Green-Field, 2008; Zhao, Grasmuck & Martin, 2008). Also,people use social networking to share their feeling and disposition toindividualsof their networking (Young, 2011). It is a platform through which peoplecommunicate and disclose their personal thoughts, feelings and life events (Zhao,Grasmuck & Martin, 2008). Operationally, social networking, therefore, implyplatform or online media where individual privately unleash their identities,problems and views to life for others in the same network to comment. Socialnetwork platform includes 2go, facebook, whatsapp, twitter, instagram, google, tomention a few.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Socialnetworking as advent of era of
information is the use of dedicated websites whichenable social interaction and
applications to interact with other users or findpeople with similar interest
to their own.
Presently, social networking as a new development has been described as astage for facilitation and development of adolescents’ social adaptation(Subrahmanyam & Green-Field, 2008; Zhao, Grasmuck & Martin, 2008). Also,people use social networking to share their feeling and disposition toindividualsof their networking (Young, 2011). It is on this background the researcher wants to investigate the influence of social network on academic adjustment of in school adolescent
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The objectives of the study are;
1. To ascertain whether Social network effect academic performance of student
2. To ascertain the relationship between social network and academic performance of students
3. To ascertain whether only social network is the cause of poor academic performance of students
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
Social network does notaffect academic performance of student
H1: Social network affect academic performance of student
H02:there is no relationship between social network and academic performance of students
H2:there is relationship between social network and academic performance of students
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be of significance to students of different higher of learning as it would enlighten them and the entire nation. Finally, this study will also help to serve as literature (reference source) to the public, individuals and corporate bodies into what to carry out on further research on social network on academic adjustment of in school adolescent among Nigeria’s university students.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study covers influence of social network on academic adjustment of in school adolescent. study;
a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
INFLUENCE: The capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself.
SOCIAL NETWORK: A social network is a social structure made up of a set of social actors, sets of dyadic ties, and other social interactions between actors.
ACADEMIC: Academic achievement or (academic) performance is the extent to which a student, teacher or institution has achieved their short or long-term educational goals.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
You can find more topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION PROJECT TOPICS AND MATERIALS
1. FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR POOR HEALTH HABITS AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS: A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT A...» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to determine some of the factors responsible for poor health habits in some secondary schools in Oredo Local Gov...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 0 hits | Source: EDUCATION
2. CHILDLESSNESS AND SOCIO-CULTURAL IMPACT ON MARRIED COUPLES A CASE STUDY OF IDAH COMMUNITY IN KOGI STATE» ABSTRACT The research is an in depth analysis of childlessness and socio cultural impact on married couples in idah urban community of Kogi State. The...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 113 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT This studyassessed Provision, Utilization and Maintenance of Facilities in Secondary Schools in Bida and Kutigi Educational Zones in Niger St...Continue Reading »
56 pages | 137 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE1.0 INTRODUCTION1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDYCultism in Nigeria has become a house hold name in most the Nigerian communities and the activities ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 77 hits | Source: EDUCATION
5. AN EVALUATION OF TEACHERS ATTITUDE AND COMPETENCY TOWARDS IMPLEMENTATION OF CONTINUOUS ASSESSMENT IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS: A CASE STUDY OF EGOR LOCAL GOV...» ABSTRACT This research work was designed to investigate the importance of continuous assessment in some selected secondary school and also teachers co...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 108 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT Home environment has been unravelled by research to be one of the factors that influence the academic achievement of students. This study exp...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 104 hits | Source: EDUCATION
7. STRATEGIES TO IMPROVE DELTA STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGES STUDENTS SKILLS AND ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN METALWORK TECHNOLOGY» ABSTRACT This study was conducted to identify the strategies to improve Delta State Technical colleges students skills and academic performance in met...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 118 hits | Source: EDUCATION
8. ADOLESCENT ATTITUDE TOWARDS SEX EDUCATION IN THE SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS OF AWKA SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» The Nigerian Society today has to grappling with many behavioral problems of its youth. Such problems include truancy, disobedience, drug, offenses, a...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 90 hits | Source: EDUCATION
9. THE IMPACT OF TEACHERSâ€™ WELFARE PACKAGE ON TEACHERSâ€™ JOB SATISFACTION IN ORHIONMWON LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Education is a means of propagating the felt end immediate norms and values of society. It is also a ...Continue Reading »
71 pages | 108 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT The study investigated the Strategies for Effective Implementation of Senior Basic Education (UBE) in Nsukka Education zone of Enugu state, N...Continue Reading »
56 pages | 126 hits | Source: EDUCATION