Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 58 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The level of education has increase overtime with improved method of teaching and demonstration in most secondary schools today in Nigeria. Over the years, there have being an increased rate of poor performance in chemistry due to inexperienced teachers and the unavailability of instructional materials to demonstrate before the students while teaching subject like chemistry.
This effect is mostly noticed in most of the village schools; maybe due to lack of infrastructural development and finances to run the activities of the schools.
Take bariga local government for instance as a case study; Bariga local government is among the interior areas of Lagos state with limited resources and poor infrastructure such as good schools, hospitals etc.
Since the intervention of the federal government of Nigeria as regard the poor academic performance of most students in chemistry, there have being a great improvement in terms of the academic achievement of students in learning chemistry.
Series of programs have created by the federal government of Nigeria through the Nigeria union of teachers (NUT) to improve teaching methods among teachers of most secondary schools in Bariga local government area of Lagos.
The act of demonstration with instructional materials during chemistry class is very important to enhance the students’ achievement in learning chemistry since images stick more than words in the mind of students.
Chemistry is a subject that has to do with chemicals with different colours and textures; take for instance a chemical like copper which is bluish in colour can stick properly in the mind of students when the students see the chemical. A chemistry teacher can tell the students the colour of a chemical, at the end of the day most students tends to forget most of this colours.
Statistics shows that most schools that adopt the method of teaching and demonstration tend to produce better students than those schools that teach students without instructional materials.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Lecture and demonstration method have improve the academic achievement of most students in learning chemistry; but the case is different with Bariga local government area of Lagos some because of lack of infrastructure such as lack of constant supply of electricity, lack of good roads, poor laboratory, dilapidated school library and lack of experienced teachers and lack of instructional materials for demonstration during teaching.
The federal government of Nigeria through the Nigerian union of teachers has put in so much effort to see to the development of most of the schools in Bariga local government area of Lagos.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The effect of poor academic achievement of students in learning chemistry due to lack of lecture and demonstration method in learning chemistry has led to the formulation of the following objectives to help improve learning among secondary schools in Bariga local government area of Lagos; some of the objectives are stated below:
1. To elicit information on the importance of lecture and demonstration method teaching and learning of chemistry
2. To determine the roles of the federal government of Nigeria in the development of most schools in Bariga local government
3. To determine the causes of poor academic performance of students in chemistry
4. To determine the role of teachers in the student’s choice of learning chemistry
5. To assess information on the effect of learning on the academic achievement of students
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
In order to achieve the following objectives the study put up the following questions to have deep understanding of the topic
1. What is the importance of lecture and demonstration method in teaching and learning of chemistry?
2. What are the roles of the federal government of Nigeria in the development of most schools in Bariga local government?
3. What are the causes of poor academic performance of students in learning chemistry?
4. What are the roles of teachers in students’ choice of learning chemistry?
5. What is the effect of learning on the academic achievement of students?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
H0: There is no significant relationship between lecture and demonstration and students’ academic achievement in learning chemistry
H1: There is significant relationship between lecture and demonstration and students’ academic achievement in learning chemistry
H0: There is no significant difference between students who are taught by demonstration and those who are lectured.
H1: There is significant difference between students who are taught by demonstration and those who are lectured
H0: Gender does not influence students’ academic performance in chemistry who were taught by demonstration and those that were lectured
H0: Gender influences students’ academic performance in chemistry who were taught by demonstration and those that were lectured
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study is indeed of great significance as it will elicit information on the effect of lecture and demonstration method in teaching on student’s achievement in learning chemistry, the study will also discuss the cause of poor academic performance of students in learning chemistry. The study will look at the roles of teachers in student’s choice in learning chemistry and finally the study will discuss the effect of learning on student’s academic achievement in learning chemistry.
1.7 SCOPE OF STUDY
The study will focus on the effect of lecture and demonstration method in the academic achievement of students’ chemistry; the study will cover the effect of learning on the academic achievement of students in learning chemistry. The study will consider a total number of fourty (40) respondents in Bariga local government area of Lagos.
1.8 LIMITATION OF STUDY
FINANCIAL CONSTRAINTS: Financial constraints tend to impede the students ability to get all the materials needed for the study but with the materials available the researcher was able to get meaningful information concerning the research topic above
TIME CONSTRAINTS: The researcher being a student will be involved with departmental activities like seminar presentation and attendance to class, but the researcher was able to meet up with the time allocated for the completion of the research work.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
DEMONSTRATION: demonstration in accordance to the study is an act of showing that something is in existence
LECTURE:this is simply an educational talk to an audience, especially one of students in a university.
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT:refers to a student's success in meeting short- or long-term goals in education. In the big picture, academic achievement means completing high school or earning a college degree.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE EFFECTS OF INTEGRATED GROUP BASED MASTERY LEARNING MODEL ON SOCIAL STUDIES STUDENTSâ€™ ACHIEVEMENT IN BENIN CITY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study The recent socio political and economic changes in the world and within nations have brought about ch...Continue Reading »
2. CHILDREN AND VIOLENCE ON THE SCREEN: AN ANALYSIS OF RAMBO FIRST BLOOD AND COMMANDO; A STUDY OF YOUTHS IN KADUNA METROPOLIS.» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY 1.0 INTRODUCTION Television plays a very important role in the society; it educates, informs, entertains and enlig...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTNursing education, including the individual nurse educator, has a responsibility to society and to students for providing quality education, f...Continue Reading »
» Abstract Social media particularly Facebook and Twitter usage can contribute to students positively and negatively depend on the users and the purpose...Continue Reading »
5. FACTORS MILITATING AGAINST EFFECTIVE TEACHING OF CHEMISTRY IN SOME TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN LAGOS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND of THE STUDY Education, especially Science and Technical education, is the hub for the production of the needed te...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was conducted to find out the motivation on teacher performance in secondary schools. It also investigated the difference in the e...Continue Reading »
7. MARITIME FRAUD: A DETRIMENTAL FACTOR TO THE GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT Of THE NIGERIA MARITIME INDUSTRY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study Today's international shipping involves people of many different nationalities with different law...Continue Reading »
8. THE EFFECT OF EARLY MARRIAGE ON THE SOCIO-ECONOMIC AND EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT OF CHILD IN EDUCATIONAL DISTRICT» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Pregnancy at whatever stage in life can be a life changing experience that cuts across boundaries...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study examines the relationship between motivation and teacher’s job performance in Alimosho Local Government Area. The study was guide...Continue Reading »
10. THE ROLE OF CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION AND THE MORAL REFORMATION OF YOUTHS IN KADUNA METROPOLIS.» ABSTRACT Christian education is the study of God’s word that educates about responsibilities and roles to be played in the society. There is nee...Continue Reading »