Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 139 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦7,000
The study assessed contents of selected Junior Secondary School Social Studies Education textbooks used in Kaduna State and implications for curriculum review. The variables examined were national curriculum, readability of registers, and the technical provision of textbooks. Three objectives, research questions and hypotheses were formulated. The research design adopted and used was survey design. The population of the study comprises of all Social Studies Education teachers in Kaduna state, the sample population was 275 Social Studies Education teachers in the five Local Government Area of the research study; Kaduna north, Kaduna south, Zango Kataf, Kachia and Jema‟a Local Government Areas. The instrument for data collection used was questionnaire. They were distributed to respondents within the research areas. Three null hypotheses were analysed using Pearson product moment correlation coefficient at 0.05 level of significance. The result of the first hypothesis revealed that, significant relationship existed between the contents of the selected Social Studies Education textbooks and the national curriculum. This is because the calculated p value 0.000 was less than the o.o5 level of significance at a correlation index r level of .993 at df 273. Hence the null hypothesis which states that, there is no significant relationship between assessment of contents of selected Junior Secondary School Social Studies Education textbooks and national curriculum was here by rejected. The result of the second hypothesis showed significant relationship, because the calculated p value of 0.000 was less than the 0.05 level of significance at a correction index r level of .995 at a df 273. This null hypothesis was also rejected. The out come of the analysis led to the rejection of the third hypothesis also because the calculated p value of 0.001 was less than the 0.05 level of significance at a correlation index r level of .985 at df 273. This implies that there is a significant relationship, between the contents of selected Junior Secondary School Social Studies Education textbooks and technical provision of Social Studies Education textbooks. The study recommended that, these textbooks be adopted in Nigerian schools generally, and Kaduna state in particular. Also, that author of textbooks should write along side the objectives of the subject and that of the national policy on Education to have harmonious and well trained personnel capable of tackling the societal problems. In addition, the textbooks should contain teachers‟ and students guides as supplementary materials, to enable students read on their own and understand the contents of concepts in Social Studies Education.
1.1 Background to the Study
Social Studies Education is a programme of study which has some
allocated time on the time table for instruction. It is considered as a
programme that is a by-product of the society in which it is to be
implemented. It is also a programme which emphasizes the relationships
human beings have with their physical and social environment. From these
variables Social Studies Education is defined, according to Kissock (1981),
as a programme of study which a society uses to instill in students the
knowledge, skills, attitudes and actions it considers important concerning
the relationship human beings have with each other, their world and
To Aina, Adedoyin, Obilo, & Ahmadu (1982) Social Studies Education
is the study of man in his totality, it draws from a variety of sources to
relate the individual to social environment developing the right attitudes,
values and abilities to help him grow to become a responsible citizen
capable of performing his civic and national obligations. In a different
view, Ololobou (1999) considers Social Studies Education as “an organized
integrated study of man and his environment both physical and social
emphasizing on cognition, functional skills and desirable attitudes and
action for the purpose of producing an effective citizenry”.
In a nutshell, Social Studies Education is “an integrated study of
man as he battles for survival in the environment preparing him for
citizenship through the acquisition of useful knowledge and information,
skills, values, attitudes and positive actions.Indeed, the problems of the
Nigerian society, such as integration, unity, reconstruction and
rehabilitation, tribalism, lack of patriotism, corruption, high rate of crime
and indecent partisan culture gave rise to the need of solving these
problems through the school. The school is considered by the Nigerian
government as an instrument par excellence for effecting national
development (National Policy on Education 2004). Thus Social Studies
Education was introduced and charged with the responsibility of
developing in the young the right attitudes towards these societal
problems. The question is, are these problems solved or tackled as
expected? What are the possible obstacles militating against the
attainment of these problems? Could it be lack of qualified Social Studies
teachers? Or lack of good Social Studies Textbooks? These questions
lingered in the mind of the researcher in the course of implementing the
Social Studies curriculum in the classroom.
According to Brown and Harcleroad (1959) the benefits of text
books are as follows:-
§ It helps for individualized instruction i.e students can proceed to learn
at their own space with their text books.
§ They help to organize and provide uniformity for class instruction. This
is felt by providing a set of common reading experience, suggested
activities, reading and questions to be answered etc.
§ Textbooks aid students to learn how to read better, to weigh evidence
and to solve problems.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF USING TEACHING AIDS IN THE TEACHING OF CHEMISTRY IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN EDO STATE: A CASE STUDY OF OREDO...» ABSTRACT This study was to examine the problems and prospects of using teaching aids, which is reduced among students and people of Oredo Local Govern...Continue Reading »
2. THE EFFECT OF MOTIVATION ON THE PERFORMANCE OF TEACHERS IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN OVIA SOUTH WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, EDO STATE» ABSTRACT Attempt has been made in this study to examine the effects of motivation on the performance of teachers, a case study of some selected second...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Approval page ii Declaration iii Dedication iv Acknowledgement v Table of contents vi Abstract viii CHAPTER ONE: INTROD...Continue Reading »
4. effect of classroom size in effective teaching and learning of Junior Secondary Schools in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY For many years, educators, politicians and people in general have debated on the number of st...Continue Reading »
5. EVALUATION OF THE UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION PROGRAMME IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study The Universal Basic Education (UBE) is a broad concept and more ambitious programme than that of the ...Continue Reading »
6. INFLUENCE OF FAMILY BACKGROUND ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF PHYSICS STUDENTS - GBOKO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF BENUE STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Education is a basic tool used by society for transmission of its societal values. It has become ...Continue Reading »
7. POOR LEARNING ENVIRONMENT AND STUDENTS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES USING NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY AS A CASE STUDY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The school environment, which include the classrooms, libraries, technical workshops, laboratories, t...Continue Reading »
8. IMPROVING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF ACCOUNTING SYSTEM IN EDUCATION SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF AUCHI POLYTECHNIC, AUCHI)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Accounting aims, as an information system, to provide various users with different forms of usefu...Continue Reading »
9. THE INFLUENCE OF HUMAN RESOURCES ON STUDENT ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN PUBLIC SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN EDUCATION DISTRICT» ABSTRACT Students’ academic performance is of great importance in the educational institution. It is the basis for judging the quality of output vis...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The learning environment, which include the classrooms, libraries, technical workshops, laborator...Continue Reading »