Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 139 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦7,000
The study assessed contents of selected Junior Secondary School Social Studies Education textbooks used in Kaduna State and implications for curriculum review. The variables examined were national curriculum, readability of registers, and the technical provision of textbooks. Three objectives, research questions and hypotheses were formulated. The research design adopted and used was survey design. The population of the study comprises of all Social Studies Education teachers in Kaduna state, the sample population was 275 Social Studies Education teachers in the five Local Government Area of the research study; Kaduna north, Kaduna south, Zango Kataf, Kachia and Jema‟a Local Government Areas. The instrument for data collection used was questionnaire. They were distributed to respondents within the research areas. Three null hypotheses were analysed using Pearson product moment correlation coefficient at 0.05 level of significance. The result of the first hypothesis revealed that, significant relationship existed between the contents of the selected Social Studies Education textbooks and the national curriculum. This is because the calculated p value 0.000 was less than the o.o5 level of significance at a correlation index r level of .993 at df 273. Hence the null hypothesis which states that, there is no significant relationship between assessment of contents of selected Junior Secondary School Social Studies Education textbooks and national curriculum was here by rejected. The result of the second hypothesis showed significant relationship, because the calculated p value of 0.000 was less than the 0.05 level of significance at a correction index r level of .995 at a df 273. This null hypothesis was also rejected. The out come of the analysis led to the rejection of the third hypothesis also because the calculated p value of 0.001 was less than the 0.05 level of significance at a correlation index r level of .985 at df 273. This implies that there is a significant relationship, between the contents of selected Junior Secondary School Social Studies Education textbooks and technical provision of Social Studies Education textbooks. The study recommended that, these textbooks be adopted in Nigerian schools generally, and Kaduna state in particular. Also, that author of textbooks should write along side the objectives of the subject and that of the national policy on Education to have harmonious and well trained personnel capable of tackling the societal problems. In addition, the textbooks should contain teachers‟ and students guides as supplementary materials, to enable students read on their own and understand the contents of concepts in Social Studies Education.
1.1 Background to the Study
Social Studies Education is a programme of study which has some
allocated time on the time table for instruction. It is considered as a
programme that is a by-product of the society in which it is to be
implemented. It is also a programme which emphasizes the relationships
human beings have with their physical and social environment. From these
variables Social Studies Education is defined, according to Kissock (1981),
as a programme of study which a society uses to instill in students the
knowledge, skills, attitudes and actions it considers important concerning
the relationship human beings have with each other, their world and
To Aina, Adedoyin, Obilo, & Ahmadu (1982) Social Studies Education
is the study of man in his totality, it draws from a variety of sources to
relate the individual to social environment developing the right attitudes,
values and abilities to help him grow to become a responsible citizen
capable of performing his civic and national obligations. In a different
view, Ololobou (1999) considers Social Studies Education as “an organized
integrated study of man and his environment both physical and social
emphasizing on cognition, functional skills and desirable attitudes and
action for the purpose of producing an effective citizenry”.
In a nutshell, Social Studies Education is “an integrated study of
man as he battles for survival in the environment preparing him for
citizenship through the acquisition of useful knowledge and information,
skills, values, attitudes and positive actions.Indeed, the problems of the
Nigerian society, such as integration, unity, reconstruction and
rehabilitation, tribalism, lack of patriotism, corruption, high rate of crime
and indecent partisan culture gave rise to the need of solving these
problems through the school. The school is considered by the Nigerian
government as an instrument par excellence for effecting national
development (National Policy on Education 2004). Thus Social Studies
Education was introduced and charged with the responsibility of
developing in the young the right attitudes towards these societal
problems. The question is, are these problems solved or tackled as
expected? What are the possible obstacles militating against the
attainment of these problems? Could it be lack of qualified Social Studies
teachers? Or lack of good Social Studies Textbooks? These questions
lingered in the mind of the researcher in the course of implementing the
Social Studies curriculum in the classroom.
According to Brown and Harcleroad (1959) the benefits of text
books are as follows:-
§ It helps for individualized instruction i.e students can proceed to learn
at their own space with their text books.
§ They help to organize and provide uniformity for class instruction. This
is felt by providing a set of common reading experience, suggested
activities, reading and questions to be answered etc.
§ Textbooks aid students to learn how to read better, to weigh evidence
and to solve problems.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE CAUSES AND EFFECT OF TEENAGE PREGNANCY AMONG SECODNARY SCHOOL STUDENTS: A CASE STUDY OF OVIA NORTH EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The number of teenagers given birth each year is staggering. In fact, of the slightly more than 10% o...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The Church in Nigeria is older than the political independence of Nigeria. While the Nigeria’s political independence d...Continue Reading »
3. THE APPRAISAL OF THE PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS CONFRONTING STUDENT TEACHERS ON TEACHING PRACTICE IN BENIN CITY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The importance of Teaching Practice in teacher education programme cannot be over emphasized. It is a...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Early years in life are the most important to the formation of intelligence, personality and social behaviour of a child. TheNursery or Early...Continue Reading »
5. THE IMPACT OF EFFECTIVE PLANNING ON TEACHING AND CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT ON TEACHING AND LEARNING OF INTREGRATED SCIENCE.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Nigerian Educational System has gone through various developments and changes viz a viz curriculu...Continue Reading »
6. INFLUENCE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES AND STUDENT’S ACADEMY PERFORMANCE IN PHYSICS IN PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF AKWA IBOM ST...» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page Declaration Certification Dedication Acknowledgements Table of Contents Abstract CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background...Continue Reading »
7. THE ROLE OF CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION AND THE MORAL REFORMATION OF YOUTHS IN KADUNA METROPOLIS.» ABSTRACT Christian education is the study of God’s word that educates about responsibilities and roles to be played in the society. There is nee...Continue Reading »
8. THE CHALLENGES CONFRONTING OPERATORS OF PRIVATE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN SOME SELECTED SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The history of private ownership in educational administration in Nigeria could be traced to the ...Continue Reading »
9. ASSESSMENT OF TEACHERS ATTITUDE TOWARDS APPLICATION OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY IN TEACHING JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN THE FE...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Nigeria have witness the development of ICTs in various sectors over the last decade including ed...Continue Reading »
10. FACTORS MILITATING AGAINST THE MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ESAN WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» ABSTRACT The research work is carried out to study the factors militating against the management of public secondary schools in Esan West Local Govern...Continue Reading »