Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page i
Approval page ii
Table of contents vi
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
Background of the study 1
Statement of the Problem 4
Purpose of the Study 5
Significance of the Study 6
Research Questions 6
Scope and delimitations of the Study 8
CHAPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
Conceptual Framework 10
Skill Development 11
Technical Colleges 15
Woodwork Technology 18
Modern Woodwork Technology Tools and Equipment 21
Theoretical Framework 24
Theory of Skill Development 24
Needs Assessment Theory 26
Review of Related Empirical Studies 29
Summary of Review of Related Literature 31
CHAPTER THREE: METHODOLOGY
Research Design 33
Area of the Study 33
Sample and sampling techniques 34
Instrument for data collection 34
Validity of instrument 35
Reliability of the instrument 35
Method of data collection 36
Method of data analysis 36
CHAPTER IV: PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA
Research questions 1 38
Research question 2 39
Research question 3 40
Research question 4 41
CHAPTER V: SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
Restatement of the problem 42
Summary of procedures used 43
Major finding 43
Implications of the study 45
Suggestions for further studies 47
The study sought to assess competency needs of wood work technology teachers in technical colleges in Niger state. The specific purposes of the study were to determine competency to improve practical projects in frame construction, competency needs of wood work technology teachers to improve practical projects in car-case construction, Competency needs of wood work technology teachers to improve practical project in stool construction and Competency needs of wood work technology teachers for effective use and maintenance of modern tools and equipment for improving practical projects in technical colleges. Four research questions were design and used to guide this study. The population of the study is 20 respondents since the population was manageable there was no need for sampling. The study adopted descriptive survey research design and the area of study is Niger State. The test retest method was used to establish the reliability of the instrument and the Pearson Product Moment Correlation coeffiecient was used to calculate the reliability coefficient. Mean statistics was employed to analyse the data. The summary of the findings for this study revealed that adoption of correct symbol and standard marks for a give project work will reduce wastage which is highly required, the transfer of technical knowledge and practical skills to real job situation is highly required to improve practical project, use of correct operational procedures in frame construction is required to construct practical projects in frame construction and design and making of cutting list would guide the details of the frame construction. Based on the findings, recommendations were made which include that the national curriculum for technical colleges should integrate the identified competency needs of woodwork technology teachers, the Niger state government should package the indentified skills items in competency needs of woodwork technology teachers practical projects in technical colleges in to workshop materials and organizes workshop on them for the benefit of woodwork technology teachers among others.
Background of the study
According to Aliyu (2014), competency is defined as the capability to apply or use a set of related knowledge skills and abilities required to successfully perform “criteria work functions” or tasks in a defined work setting.
Competencies often serve as the basis for skill standard that specify the level of knowledge, skills and abilities required for success in the work place as well as potential measurement criteria for assessing competency attainment.
The progress and future of the nation depends upon technical education in order to achieve its social and economic goals.
Odebunmi (1984), and Madu (2004) stated that the economic and political development process of any nation is related to the advancement of his or her science and technology and their application to needs. According to the national policy on education (2004), technical education is that aspect of education which leads to the acquisition of practical and applied skills as well as basic scientific knowledge. It is a phase of education where emphasis is laid on preparing occupations of social values within and outside the school.
Emphasis is given to technical and vocational education in the national policy on education at all levels of education of the country.
It was planned to provide suitable educational experiences for students to help them indentify and develop interests, capacities depositions and vocational aptitudes needed for success in life.
This implies that the curriculum should include practical activities. Specifically, the policy stated the following as the objectives of technical education:
1. To provide trained manpower in the applied science, technology and business, particularly at craftsmen, advanced craft and technical level.
2. To provide the technical knowledge and vocational skills necessary for agricultural, commercial and economic development.
3. To give training and impart the necessary skills to individuals who shall be self-reliant economically.
Wood work according to Lambert (1991), is derived from the word “carpent”, who was originally the one who made the “capent” or heavy covered carriage. The term was extended to include any craftsman who made heavy wood work, such as timber of houses and roofs. The major contribution of modern wood making by the nineteenth century and thereafter, the development of wood working machinery and the introduction of machine made furniture came into being.
Wood worker of the twentieth century developed modern design. Because of the importance to wood work in the life of man, it is made one of the courses of training in the schools and technical colleges as provided in national policy on education. Wood work trade in technical colleges is limited to machine, carpentry and joinery, furniture making and upholstery work.
Teaching can be defined as the process of passing knowledge, skills ideas, attitudes, beliefs and feelings to some one with the aim of bringing about changes is that persons. Okon et al (1981), stressed that teaching should provide the necessary amount and type of practice so that the changes in the teacher become part of his life. The qualities of a teacher determine the success of any teaching and learning process, especially in teaching technical subjects.
Knowledge of the subjects is still the primary qualification of the those who would teach others whether formally or informally. Caskey (1980), stated that history has shown a trend which require teachers to be trained and attend a certain degree of competency level. On the other hand the planning of a lesson, the presentation and the method of evaluation are the key determines the quality of the teachers, wood work technology teacher must passes the requisite qualification of both the manipulative skills and other theoretical knowledge for him to carry out his duties effectively. This is because woodwork by its nature require the establishment of uniformity of technical procedures, administrative procedures, working place arrangement, operation and motion sequences, materials, quality requirement and similar factors which may affect the performance of the work.
Abba (2004), observed that the challenge facing the management of technical institutions in Nigeria revolves around ways and means of providing competent and effective technical and vocational training that will meet the students need for employable skills, knowledge and attitudes.
Statement of the problem
Wood work technology is one of the trades offered in all technical colleges in Niger state, despite the importance most teachers teaching the subjects have Nigeria certificate (N.C.E) as the maximum qualification does not meeting the minimum requirement for teaching in science and technical schools in the state. The Bachelor of Education (Technology) according to the Planning, Research and Statistic Department of Science and Technical School Board of Niger State is the minimum requirement for teaching in such school. It has been observed that tools and equipment in the workshop are insufficient for the teachers to be effectively taught the course: the few ones available are mostly not in good working conditions.
Most of the power operated machines are broken down: the few functioning ones cannot be operated by mot of the teachers effectively. Consumable materials including workshops for practical exercises.
Ideally teaching wood work technology requires the services of highly qualified teachers, who are competent in both the theoretical and practical skills of the course. Wood workshop must be fully equipped with all necessary tools equipment and machineries. There should also be consistent supply of consumable materials especially wood to enable the teachers demonstrate and carry out practical work with the students so that teaching will be more effective since the course needs more of practical skills. Teachers should be motivated to attend courses that will expose them to the latest development in the field of teaching wood work technology to improve their standard of teaching. This research work therefore is designed to find out the competency needs of wood work technology teachers in technical colleges in Niger state.
Purpose of the study
The general purpose of this study is to determine the competency needs of wood work technology teachers for improving practical projects in technical colleges in Niger state. Specifically the study will determine the:
1. Competency to improve practical projects in frame construction
2. Competency needs to wood work technology teachers to improve practical projects in car-case construction
3. Competency needs of wood work technology teachers to improve practical project in stool construction
4. Competency needs of wood work technology teachers for effective use and maintenance of modern tools and equipment for improving practical projects in technical colleges.
The following research questions are formulated to guide the study:
1. What are the competency needs of wood work technology teachers to improve practical projects in frame construction?
2. What are the competency needs of wood work technology teachers to improve practical projects in carcase production?
3. What are the competency needs of wood work technology teachers for effective use and maintenance of modern tools and equipment for improving practical projects in technical colleges?
4. What are the competency needs of wood work technology teachers to improve practical projects in stool construction?
Significance of the study
The findings of the study would benefits wood work technology teachers, wood work technology students, ministry of education, Niger state, curriculum planners, parent and guidance, wood work technology industries as well as people and government of Niger state.
The findings of the study will provide information for wood work technology teacher to improve their teaching to solve the current problem inherent in students poor performance in wood work technology and ways of improving wood work technology students performance at National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB) examination in Niger state. On the other hand, the wood work technology students would benefit from the findings. They will be able to overcome some of the difficulties encountered in producing woodwork practical project. The students would as well acquire and develop the appropriate skill that would make them self-reliant, enterprising and improve their employability.
The Ministry of Education through Science and Technical Schools Board would be more committed as a result of this study to the financing of technical colleges regarding the training of wood work technology teachers to upgrade their skills. The ministry would through the knowledge of the study supply qualified and competent teachers, and also provide adequate facilities for the execution of practical projects.
The result of the study will also provide information to curriculum planner on aspects of curriculum in wood work practical project by updating the requirements of the wood work technology curriculum for practical projects.
Moreover, parents and guidance will benefit from the from the findings of the study because when their children and wads are empowered with improved practical skills, they may be employed or establish their own
enterprises and thereby take the responsibilities of some member of the family financially and otherwise.
In addition, the result of the study will be of immense benefit to industries by obtaining the skilled personnel that will facilitate the production of the industries in terms of woodwork practical project. This would increase the productivity and marketability of industries and their products.
Finally, people and government of Niger state will equally benefit from the findings of this study by obtaining the desired skilled and professionally qualified wood work technology teachers and graduates. This knowledge of the finds and their integration in curriculum would eventually reduce the rate of unemployment in the society at large by increasing the living standard of the people. An understanding of the findings would also assist government in policy making and implementation about wood work technology teachers and students in the state.
Scope of the study
This study is focused on the identification of skills competency needs of wood work technology teachers for improving practical projects in frame construction as well as the skills in the use of modern tools and equipment for conducting practical projects.
Skills in other areas will not be considered. The study will be conducted in Niger state to solicit the opinions of wood work technology teachers and supervisors of woodwork industries on the skills required by the teachers for improving practical projects in technical colleges in Niger state.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Road traffic safety refers to the methods and measures used to prevent road users from being killed or seriously injured....Continue Reading »
2. A STUDY INTO THE SOLUTIONS OF YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF NATIONAL DIRECTORATE FOR EMPLOYMENT (NDE), ANAMBRA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The global economic depression which started in the early 1980’s has caused a rapid deteri...Continue Reading »
3. THE EFFECT OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC BACKGROUND ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL BIOLOGY STUDENTS (CASE STUDY OF ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA ...» Abstract This study determined the effect of socio Economics background on Academic performance of Secondary school Biology Students in order to study...Continue Reading »
4. THE EFFECTS OF INDISCIPLINE ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN IGUEBEN LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Discipline, according to Jemibewon (1976) is a highly desirable quality of human being or social grou...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Immorality today, it has been observed, is increasing on a daily bases. Ethics as a way of ordere...Continue Reading »
6. THE IMPACT OF MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM ON THE ADMINISTRATION EFFECTIVENESS OF PRIMARY SCHOOL IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Computers are seen to have the potential to make a significant contribution to the teaching, lear...Continue Reading »
7. THE ATTITUDE OF PARENTS TOWARDS GIRL-CHILD EDUCATION IN SURU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KEBBI STATE» ABSTRACT The title of our project was attitude of parents towards girl child education in Suru Local Government area, Kebbi State. A population of 150...Continue Reading »
8. FACTORS AFFECTING THE CHOICE OF CAREER AMONGST VOCATIONAL AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION STUDENTS IN EGOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» ABSTRACT This project work is designed to find out the factors that are affecting choice of career amongst vocational and technical school students in...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The work of this research or project is to design and construct an electric powered toggle jack which offers easy lifting of loads especially...Continue Reading »
10. FACTORS MILITATING AGAINST STUDENTS COMMITMENT TO THE STUDY OF HISTORY; CASE STUDY UNIVERSITY OF BENIN» History is an important school subject which conveys invaluable lessons from the past and whose worth transcends regional, national and cultural bound...Continue Reading »