Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 40 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The relevance of education in the upbringing of children can not be overemphasized. Since the children of today constitutes the leaders of tomorrow, there is the need for every society to educate its children as this will contribute to the overall growth and development, thereby reducing the rate of crime and illiteracy in the society. For this is to make manifest, certain things should be inculcated in the individual such as skills, habits, attitude, moral values and prohibits disapproved ones. There should be a combination of formal and informal education given to them in order for them to make a constructive development of the society and themselves.
The interest of educators is well pronounced as to what influence the socio-economic status of parents have on their behaviour and learning ability. It is believed that if such influence exists, it should vary widely according to the sophistication of the learning contingencies provided by such factor.
But what we see around these days, nothing but nonchalant attitudes of the parents towards their children education. This is done in various ways, such as parents no longer stay at home to see after the affairs of their children, simply because of the guests by for the means of survival. Due to the fact that these children are not properly cared for, some of them grow up to create problems for the family and at times to the society entirely. This is simply from their unwillingness towards the educational pursuit. Also academic performance depending on the availability of learning materials or facilities, funds and otherwise in situation whereby students from school A perform better in terms of academic than school B, students lie on the above mentioned problems. So without parents not being ready to train their children, their performance in school might be discouraging due to the theory of individual differences. Even when some are being cared for properly, you discover that they still not cope with the system thereby leading to their failure or poor academic performance.
The home is viewed as one of the factors that cause poor performance of students in secondary schools. The problems of why children achieve of fail to achieve in school has always been of interest to philosophers. The home background of students, physical condition of home, genetic and endowment, poor methodology of teacher have been put forth and possible answer and has received a great deal of attention. Socio-economic background is one of the greatest factors that influence secondary school students.
With these observations, the poor performance of secondary school students in school work could be traced to the schools’ parental attitudes, socio-economic status, family size etc. the main aim of this study is to examine the influence of socio-economic background of parent on the academic performance of secondary school students in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo state. Confidentially, the researcher intends to provide solutions to most of these problems above in the course of study.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The failure of parents to recognize and realize that the ability of their children to perform well is greatly influenced by the home and this is a serious problem because of their belief that the standard of education of nowadays has fallen.
Some scholars have argued that the immediate and remote causes of the problem militating against the influence of socio-economic status of students’ performance in secondary schools. The governments to some extent also contribute to the poor economy of the country making parents not able to send their children to school, and also socio-economic status, family size, educational background, influence of home, place of residence, family structure, influence of peer group etc.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of carrying out this study is to examine the influence of socio-economic status of parents on the academic performance of secondary school students and also to know the extent to which educational status of parents affect students’ academic performance. this is why the study is being carried out to suggest possible solutions that would help to solve the problems in the society.
Some of the research questions A study on the influence of socio-economic status of parents on the academic performance of secondary school students in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo state.
Does socio-economic status affect the academic performance of students?
Do you think parents contribute to students’ performance in school?
Do parents’ occupations affect students’ performance in school?
Do you think family size influence students’ academic performance?
Do you think family structure influence academic performance of students?
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be of help to the educational planner in designing school programmes and curriculum to the call of their parents towards their children’s academic performance. it will also help to awaken the family even the society at large from their slumbering state of the educational career of their youth.
The discovered information of this researcher will help the teachers, educators and curriculum specialists and school administrators to plan ways or means of meeting the needs of children from different home backgrounds. This will also help the children to see their own ways of contributing to their poor performance in school. The society through this finding can help to provide educational facilities such as good classrooms, qualified teachers, chairs, desks and apparatus for practical etc. in order to alliance the educational standard of the children.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is restricted to Oredo Local Government Area of Edo state. The researcher will focus on secondary schools in the above Mentioned local government.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In order for any research work to be reasonability successful, a lot of time, energy, work and money is required rather unfortunately time is not a free factor in this particular research study because the researcher has runs currently with normal academic session of the researchers.
This research work is carried out in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo state. This makes the area quite a narrow one as the researcher would have used like the study to have been broader in out look so as to note the area of generalization for the study to be more authentic.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
STATUS: the legal position of a person, group or country.
SOCIO: connected with the trade industry and development of the wealth of a country, area or a society.
INFLUENCE: the effect that something has on the way a person thinks or behaves or on the way that something works or develops.
PERFORMANCE: the act of performing a play, concert, or other forms of entertainment.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE EFFECTS OF POOR FUNDING OF PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE PUBLIC LIBRARY OWERRI)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The public library is a social institution which is tied to the political and social realities of the communities where i...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Education is a inevitable instrument that can be used in enhancing national and economic development,...Continue Reading »
3. AN INVESTIGATIVE STUDY ON THE USE OF FIELD TRIP IN TEACHING AND LEARNING OF BIOLOGY IN SECONDARY SCHOOL» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Concepts of Field Trip strategy was introduced in 1827 by George Shillibeer for a Quaker school at Abney Park in Stoke Newing...Continue Reading »
4. INTEGRATING ICT INTO VARIOUS SUBJECTS AT THE SENIOR SECONDARY LEVEL OF EDUCATION: A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED PRIVATE SECONDARY SCHOOLS» Project Abstract This study was designed to investigate the integrating of ICT into various subjects at the senior secondary level of education specif...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Man who is mortally created is subject to many afflictions that can easily bring him down to the ...Continue Reading »
6. A STUDY ON THE INFLUENCE OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC STATUS OF PARENTS ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS: A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SECOND...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The relevance of education in the upbringing of children can not be overemphasized. Since the childre...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Language is a creation which every human being is endowed with or blessed; a unique gift of langu...Continue Reading »
8. THE ROLE OF INDUSTRIAL TRAINING SCHEME ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF MANPOWER IN SELETED BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENT IN ANAMBRA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Some years back, the concept of training and development of manpower in some business establishme...Continue Reading »
9. IMPORTANCE OF INTRODUCING INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN THE TEACHING OF GEOGRAPHY IN SECONDARY SCHOOL» INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The purpose of teaching is primarily to assist the learner acquire the type of knowledge and skill that will ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research study was solely designed to examine the issues of tobacco smoking and its effect on academic performance of students of colleg...Continue Reading »