Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 71 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.0 INTRODUCTION/BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Every organization that deals with people at work usually encounters some problems in the acquisition and utilization of personnel. The extent of such problems may be dependent on the nature, size or complexity of the organization, the quantity and/or quality of engaged personnel, and the environmental factors guiding the operation of corporate activities goals.
Manpower and human resources are generally used interchangeably even though in a sense, the latter seems to be a more modern concept and it is used more often (than manpower) particularly in the U.S. not only that, “personnel” is also commonly used along with manpower or human resource except that personnel is mostly associated with the micro or organizational level as against the national level.
The term “personnel” is used to cover all the persons collectively employed in a work organization. The organization may be a commercial, industrial or financial company.
Personnel Management is the planning, developing and administration of policies and programmes designed to make expeditious use of an organization resources. The main aim of personnel management is to meet the goals and objective as is set forth by organization’s top management. The goals is aimed at achieving the organisation’s survival and growth. It deals with the turning and termination of employed appointment.
The Institute of personnel Management of London (1963) defined personnel management as a responsibility of all those who managed people as well as being a deception of the work of those who are employed as a specialist. It is part of management, which is concerned with people at work and with their relationship within an enterprise. It applies not only to industry and commerce but all field of employment in both private and public sector.
Personnel Management can be defined as obtaining, using and maintaining a satisfied workforce. It is a significant part of management concerned with employees at work and with their relationship within the organization. According to Flippo (1980) Personnel Management is the planning, organizing , compensation, integration and maintenance of peo0ple for the purpose of contributing to organization, individual and social goal.
According to Breck, (1964) Personnel management is that part which is primary concerned with human resource of organization.
According to Ubeku (1985) Personnel management is the responsibility of every manager or supervisor who has people under him to see that they watch towards the achievement of the organizational desired goals. This entails that personnel management is concern with the management of the human resource in an organization toward achieving a set goals.
1.1 HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF FEDERAL COLLEGE OF EDUCATION ANKPA
Kogi State College of Education is governmental institution established by Mr. Aper Aku, the former Governor of Benue State in the year 1981. The town lies between latitude 11.07 and 12 degree North and longitude 07.44 and 8 degrees East. Located at a distance of about 962 km from the Atlantic Ocean.
OBJECTIVES OF THE COLLEGE AT TAKE OFF
Briefly, the aims and objectives of establishing the college at take off can be summarized as follows:
i. To provide professional qualified non graduate teachers of northern region to man the secondary and teacher training college in the region.
ii. To provide professionally qualified assistant inspectors for primary schools.
iii. Produce qualified educational service teachers who could be capable of handling both primary and secondary schools student in all their educational careers/pursuit.
iv. The College is also expected to graduate students for the award of National Certificate in Education (NCE) on either full time or part time basis.
v. The College is expected to hold seminars, workshops and some useful courses for students of various department.
The National Commission for College of Education (NCCE) became the funding and policy agency of the colleges as from 1st January, 1990. The commission was established by the Federal Government through decree 3 in an official gazette published on 17th January, 1989.
Major Achievement of the College
Right form inception, Kogi State College of Education Ankpa has recorded various achievements, which have help to raise it to its present enviable standard of credibility fame and prestige. Some of the significant achievements of the College relate to physical facilities, staffing, research and teaching and manpower development.
In relation to staffing, it is a factor that has earned the College tremendous respect among its peers, the college have large crop of highly trained, experienced and professionally competent staff in all the academic and administrative departments. For instant there are one hundred and sixty seven (167) academic staff in the college, not fewer than fifty seven (57) have a master degree or its equivalent. While eighteen (18) have Ph.D degree. Several other staffs are in the process of acquiring higher degree in their fields of specialization. All this is indication of the superior quality of research and teaching the college provides.
The College in term of research and practicing has maintained a leadership role in the area of scholarly research and publications as evidence by the large number of contributions by many of the lecturer to various reputable academic journals within and outside the country.
Kogi State College of Education Ankpa is organized into schools each headed by a Dean. Every school is made up of a number of departments of related subjects. The affairs of the department are managed by the heads of departments.
The Provost is both the administrative academic head of the College. He is assisted by Deputy Provost who acts as Provost in the absence of the Provost.
The various schools within the College are as follows:
a) School of Art and Social Science which comprises of the following department, Christian Religious Studies, Geography, Islamic Religious Studies and Social Studies.
b) School of Education: This includes the following departments, General Studies education, Pre-NCE and Remedial Studies, Curriculum and Instruction, Foundation of Education, Primary Education Studies and Education Psychology.
c) School of Languages: The department under this school includes Arabic, English, French, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.
d) School of Science which comprises of Biology, Computer, Chemistry, Integrated Science and Mathematics department
e) School of Vocational and Technical Education: this school have three department namely Agric education, Business education and Home Economics.
f) Part-Time Programme which comprises of various units.
g) Under Graduate School: This comprises of all department running degree programme.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
Lack of training and development has led to incompetence of some staff which result to poor performance and low productivity in the institution. This project will proffer solutions to this inadequacy.
Another area of concern is that staff morale is low, attitude to work is not encouraging, incentive and other welfare schemes are lacking. Not only that factors like economic recession, ever-reducing standard of political instability etc contributed to lack of manpower development in the institution.
The question that begs for answer remains: To what extent has the role of the personnel department contributed to the effective management of the institution?
1.3 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
The hypothesis proposed for this study is:
Ho: The role of Personnel Department has not contributed to staff efficiency in the institution
Hi: The role of Personnel Department has contributed to staff efficiency in the institution.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
In this study, the following significance will be derived:
1. It will assist other researchers on the topic as a source of reference.
2. It will also assist personnel department of Kogi State College of Education Ankpa to know how important their contributions are to the overall performance of the institution
3. The findings of this study will enable the government to lay much emphasis in training their staffs.
1.5 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aims and objectives of the study are:
1. To find out what are the roles of personnel department towards the effective management of Kogi State College of Education.
2. To find what are the factors that hindered efficiency in Kogi State College of Education.
3. To find out what are the causes of poor performance in the personnel department of Kogi State College of Education.
4. It will also identify problems areas and challenges of the personnel department and proffer solutions.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Due to the diversity of the study, the study will be confined mainly to the roles and functions of personnel department towards the realization of effective management of Kogi State College of Education, Ankpa.
Limitations to the Study
In an environment characterized by scarcities, inadequacies, doubts, and insecurity, a research work of this nature can hardly be conducted without a bundle of constraints. The following are the possible constraints:-
The intellectual inadequacy and limited experienced in the field, personal experience and level of knowledge are limited. This may make it difficult for the researcher to conduct 100% degree of success all through in this project.
The lack of full cooperation and attention by the respondents i.e staff of Kogi State College of Education, Ankpa who felt reluctant to disclose certain relevan
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. STRATEGIES FOR MANAGING DISCIPLINARY PROBLEMS AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN IZZI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EBONYI STATE» ABSTRACT This study is aimed at investigating strategies for managing disciplinary problems among secondary school students in Izzi Local Government A...Continue Reading »
2. AN INVESTIGATIVE STUDY OF THE CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF EARLY MOTHERHOOD IN NIGERIA ( A CASE STUDY OF EJIGBO OSUN STATE)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study was to investigate the causes and problems of early motherhood in Ejigbo metropolis, Osun State. Related literature...Continue Reading »
» Project Abstract The consequences of drug abuse and alcoholism placed great burden on Nigerian society as it affected the economy, the health care sys...Continue Reading »
4. IMPACT OF SINGLE PARENTING AND ITS EFFECT ON CHILD EDUCATION IN SELECTED SCHOOLS IN EGOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Marriage of a youth in ancient society was parts of the responsibilities of his parents. The young ma...Continue Reading »
5. EFFICACY OF FLIPCHART IN THE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF SOCIAL STUDIES IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS» Abstract The study examined the effect of flip chart instruction on the academic performance of Junior Secondary School Students who were taught socia...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The church of Christ in this era has mainly been instituted on the sermons of a prosperity gospel...Continue Reading »
7. THE CAUSES AND EFFECT OF EARLY PREGNANCY ON THEIR ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN EGOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» TABLE OF CONTENT Chapter one Introduction Background of the study Statement of the problem Purpose of the study Research questions Significance of the...Continue Reading »
8. ROLE OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY IN TEACHER EDUCATION IN NIGERIA. A CASE STUDY OF SHEHU SHAGARI COLLEGE OF EDUCATION SOKOTO» ABSTRACTThe title of the study is “Role of Educational Technology in Teacher Education in Nigeria”. The population of the study happened to be all...Continue Reading »
9. ICT RECEPTION AMONG NIGERIA UNIVERSITY LECTURERS AND STUDENTS TOWARD ENABLING A TRUE E-LEARNING ENVIRONMENT» Abstract Technological change and globalization have created a new global economy with Information and Communication Technology (ICT) occupying a comp...Continue Reading »
10. CLASS STRATIFICATION, POVERTY AND SOCIAL INJUSTICE: A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF FESTUS IYAYI’SVIOLENCE AND OLU OBAFEMI WHEELS» Chapter one 1.0 INTRODUCTION A writer is supposed to perform certain duties to the upliftment of his society. Perhaps this accounts for various roles ...Continue Reading »