Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The concepts of child abuse and child neglect are forms of maltreatment on the child that impedes child survival, development and participation. Children are seen as assets to parents and government because they are human resources that any society can boast of, therefore, parents and government invest in them in order to obtain better tomorrow. This can be achieved however, if their early child socialization is devoid of harmful cultural practices that crippled their chances of survival, development and participation.
Ejikeme (1987) defines child abuse as a problem arising from the intention of an adult to carry out an act that is inimical or detrimental to the physical, intellectual, language, emotional, moral and social development of a child; while child neglect which involves some degree of deprivation refers to an intentional failure of an adult to perform physical, cognitive, moral and social development of a child.
However, it is imperative to note in this premise that what constitute child maltreatment in one society may not be considered same in another society, this is because of cultural differences an belief, practices. From the above, it will be important to trace the fact that there might be different factors that caused child abuse and neglect since the application of cultural ideology is not universal; that is, it changes across societies.
However, different forms of child maltreatment exist like: child trafficking, street begging, street hawking, child discrimination or child preference, early marriage, prostitution, child labour, use of virgin girl-child for ritual/sacrifice etc. despite tangible evidences or empirical indicators of child abuse and neglect, it is difficult to measure.
This is so because it is recognized as a major social problem that occurs in all levels of social class, race, religion and ethnic groups. It is important to note that the practice of child abuse and neglect is supported by government indirectly when the individual is seen as a product of the society.
Poor socio-economic status of parents trace its roots through unemployment and destitution as government does not address social inequality, unemployment and poverty amongst its citizens, instead people in position work towards actualizing their selfish ends and those who cannot meet the society values through the legitimate means result to deviance and crime as postulated by Robert K. Merton, Alemika and Best (1988) argues that our past successive state Governors/Administrators both military and Politicians, business individuals, foreigners etc who loot billions of Naira from the country’s treasury and precipitate years of economic crisis, political instability etc are hardly arrested, prosecuted nor jailed, instead they are rewarded with Chieftaincy tittles, honorary degrees, ministerial appointments, contracts and the like.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Forms of child maltreatment like; child abandonment, child abduction, child trafficking, street begging, street hawking, child labour, prostitution, early marriage and the like, deteriote and cause a total decay of the society. This foster insecurity and anarchy as a result of inadequate means of meeting legitimate goals or values of the society. This jeopardizes not only the immediate children but further endangers our future continuum and a tactical genocidal wipe of humanity since child maltreatment maimed the survival, development and participation of the child.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The research at glance intent to critically analyzes, appraises and examines the impact of negative attributes of child abuse and neglect on the individual, families and the society. The specific objectives are:
i) Determine the impact of child abuse and neglect on the child.
ii) Determine the relationship between child abuse, child neglect and crime.
iii) Determine the roles of parents and government in curbing the menace.
iv) Determine the influence of culture in propagating child abuse and neglect.
v) Make appropriate recommendations to the government.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
Child abuse and child neglect are social problems that affects a significant number of people about which something need to be done. This menace deters technological advancement and waste a lot of wisdom and talents. This study however, would help reduce the number of people affected through adequate mobilization and campaign against this catastrophe. This study would also help in legislating against the catastrophe. This study would provide a data bank that serve as literature for further use by scholars.
1.5 SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS OF STUDY
This study was restricted to Gyel district of Jos south local government area; this is to provide the researcher access to sample a particular target population to ensure meaningful work.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ASSESSMENT OF CONTENTS OF SELECTED JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL SOCIAL STUDIES EDUCATION TEXTBOOKS IN KADUNA STATE AND IMPLICATIONS FOR CURRICULUM REVIEW» ABSTRACT The study assessed contents of selected Junior Secondary School Social Studies Education textbooks used in Kaduna State and implications for ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study investigated the influence principal’s gender has on teachers’ work behaviours in secondary schools in Anambra State. ...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This study is on an evaluation of principals administrative in Nigeria secondary schools in Nigeria. The total population for the study is 20...Continue Reading »
4. AN IDENTIFICATION OF FACTORS AFFECTING THE EFFECTIVE TEACHING OF PHYSICS PRACTICAL IN OVIA SOUTH WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Man was able to progress to a high degree of civilization through the careful study of the causes of ...Continue Reading »
5. INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY SKILLS NEEDS OF ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANTS IN COLLEGES OF EDUCATION IN BAYELSA AND RIVERS STATES» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Information has to do with analyzed data because it is what has been adequately conceptualized that c...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Computer education was introduced into the Nigerian education system in the late 1980s. this was the recommendation of the ministerial counci...Continue Reading »
7. MATHEMATICS ABILITY AND STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN PHYSICS IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ABAK LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF AKWA IBOM STATE» ABSTRACT This study was conducted to assess the effect of Mathematics ability on the academic performance of senior secondary school physics students ...Continue Reading »
8. THE ANALYSIS OF LIVELIHOOD OF MEN IN DAMAKASUWA DISTRICT AND EFFORT MADE BY COMMUNITY, LOCAL GOVERNMENT» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 Background of the Study The oxford dictionary defines livelihood as the means of securing the basic necessities food, water, shelter a...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION 1.1. Background of the Study Education as the key to development has the capacity to upgrade teaching effectiveness as well as ...Continue Reading »
10. IMPACTS OF INDUSTRIAL SET-UP ON THE ENVIRONMENT (A CASE STUDY OF THE AGBARA INDUSTRIAL ESTATE IN OGUN STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Industry is one of the major categories in economic activities after agriculture. Industry is con...Continue Reading »