Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 59 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The importance of highways for the prosperity of any country cannot be over emphasized. The development of roads starts a chain reaction of atomic nature. It opens up new avenues or increases employment in the agriculture, industry, commerce health and sanitation sector by inherent virtue of being a communication and transport link between the developed areas.
The road, so necessary an instrument of social well being that in every new country it is one of the first things that is being thought of. The great essence or need for roads came about due to the invention of the wheel, some 5,000 years ago. The increasing rate of highway deterioration has become a source of great concern to both the Engineers and the people using it. There is a great need to ascertain the various causes of the deterioratory state of our roads. And some of the ways to ascertain the causes of deterioration is to carryout trial bore hole, site investigation, and also traffic census. The major reason for unsatisfactory state of road construction in Nigeria, is the low priority given to road development and maintenance, also responsible, is the lack of concern for human life and proper qualification and experience to do a particular job. The construction of roads, require expert’s in the field, so that the road will be able to carryout its basic function effectively, and survive its life expectancy of years. This is in order to avoid the premature failure of our roads, which is an existing fact currently in Imo State, particularly on the road leading from Naze Junction to Futo Gate which forms the basis of this project. There is not just one type of road failure, so the issue of the premature deterioration of our roads requires finance, and experienced knowledge.
AREA OF STUDY
The road leading from Naze Junction to Futo Gate is located in Owerri, the capital of Imo State. The road was constructed in the year 1977/1978, by Mezu construction company during the honourable regime of Late Dr. Sam Onunaka Mbakwe the, then executive governor of Imo State.
The road leading from Naze Junction to Futo Gate is a ring road, provided to enable the free flow of traffic. It has a total length of about 6.00km, and has a lane width of about 7.3m. The road was constructed of Asphaltic Surfacing. It is a Surface dressed flexible pavement of single carriage way which has no shoulder. The routine maintenance work is been handled by the office of the Ministry of Works, housing and transport Owerri and currently the maintenance work has been awarded to Hardel and Erice construction company, a company owned by Chief Iwuanyanwu.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The road leading from Naze Junction to Futo Gate has lost its original shape and design. It has deteriorated to the state that the Asphaltic Surfacing of some parts of the roads have gone off. This state of deterioration is a problem because, it does not effectively serve one of the purposes of construction which is to convey people and goods effectively. Due to its deterioratory state, when rain falls it is difficult for people and cars to ply the road because of it’s bad nature, this results in the breaking down of vehicles in the middle of the road and rendering the occupants of the vehicles helpless, and this broken down vehicles in turn, causes traffic congestions. If this road is not properly reconstructed and maintained properly so many lives would be lost and goods would be wasted. And the area will be totally inaccessible.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The following are the objectives of this study:
1. To carry out tests to measure the soil physical properties, strength and swelling characteristics on the road leading from Naze Junction to Futo Gate.
2. To evaluate the cause of the deterioration of the road leading from Naze Junction to Futo Gate.
3. To proffer solution which will be suitable enough to remedy this road from deteriorating
4. Finally to suggest measures to help minimize or stop the occurrence of the deterioration of our Nigerian roads.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
What is the cause of the deterioration of the road leading from Naze Junction to Futo Gate and what solution which will be suitable enough to remedy this road from deteriorating
1.5 SCOPE AND LIMITATION
There are so many ways of determining the cause of road deterioration and they include, soil test, drainage designing, CBR test, compaction, traffic count, test on the various layer of the road structure, Atterberg limit etc. But due to the circumstances surrounding this study and my inability and unavailability of machines/equipments to carryout some of this test. This project is only limited to the determining of only the soil test, Atterberg limit, and traffic count of the road.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this project include:
1. To prepare a paper that will serve as an academic tool, to help students handle related projects in future with confidence.
2. The solutions we would recommend will in no small measure help to alleviate transport and traffic problems currently being experienced by its people, and users which is due to the deteriorating nature of the Road.
1.7 DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
PAVEMENT: That with which anything is paved; a floor or covering of solid material, laid so as to make a hard and convenient surface for travel; a paved road or sidewalk; a decorative interior floor of tiles colored bricks.
CARRIAGE WAY: It is the portion of the road designed and constructed for vehicular traffic.
DETERIORATION: It is a gradual process whereby a structure losses its initial quality or value due to age or defective construction if not given attention from time to time.
HIGHWAY: In a road system the important road like national highway and provincial highways are called highways.
PREMATURE FAILURE: This is said to occur when the material what ever it is, i.e wearing course, surface dressing or structural concrete etc, has failed before its predicted design life has expired.
ROAD: It is defined as a convenient way over which vehicles and all sots of traffic can lawfully move.
SHOULDER: It is the portion immediately beyond the edges of a carriage way on which vehicular traffic may pass occasionally.
SUB-GRADE: This is the top surface of a road bed on which the pavement structure and shoulders including Kerbs are constructed.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows;
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUILDING TECHNOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 WHAT IS CONCRETE Concrete is an artificial engineering material made from a mixture of Portland cement, water, fine and c...Continue Reading »
2. AN ASSESSMENT OF CAUSES, EFFECT AND REPAIR OF CRACKS IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECT IN IMO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study Buildings are structures, which serve as shelters for man, his properties and activities. They must b...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The world of building Industry is very wide and reaches which covers all areas like production, Building maintenance, project management, pro...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Of recent, the attention of most researchers is shifting towards the optimization of building materials by using local contents; the use of i...Continue Reading »
5. A QUALITY ANALYSIS OF THE THICKNESS OF PART AND CORRUGATED ASBETES ROOFING SHEETS OF EMENITE LIMITED ENUGU» ABSTRACT Calcium is the most important mineral in the body. The body needs calcium for normal functioning of nerves and muscles including the most imp...Continue Reading »
» ABSTACT This study examines the performance of Commercial Banks institutions in Kaduna State, based on the development of small and medium Scale indus...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Nailing can be said to be the most basic and most commonly used means of attaching members in woo...Continue Reading »
8. AN EVALUATION OF HOUSING AFFORDABILITY FOR NIGER STATE CIVIL SERVANTS UNDER PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP (PPP) HOUSING DEVELOPMENT» ABSTRACT Niger state government achievement in Public housing delivery for its citizen since its creation in 1976 has been very minimal–with jus...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 Background of the study The growing need for construction of all types coupled with a tight monetary supply has provided ...Continue Reading »
10. AN ASSESSMENT OF MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT PRACTICES CASE STUDY: NYARUGENGE DISTRICT- RWANDA» ...Continue Reading »