Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Hard water is water that has high mineral content; it is the water which will not readily form leather with soap. This is caused by the presence of dissolved solid impurities like calcium and magnesium compound in the water. The compounds include calcium, hydrogen, trioxocarbonate (iv) and magnesium, trioxosulphate (vi). If there is a calcium compound. Dissolved in water, soap is precipitated in the form of calcium Octade caonate (which appears as a curd), the lather being insoluble (Adesina H. O. 1982).
2 NaSt(ag) + CaSO4(ag) Na2SO4(aq) + CaSt2(aq)
Sodium Calcium Sodium Calcium
Octaelescaonate Tetraoxo- tetraoxo Octadescadnate
Sulphate (iv) sulphate (iv)
(Soluble) (Soluble) (Soluble) (Soluble)
Until the whole of the calcium compound has been acted upon by the soap. None of the later can forms lather. Thus with hard well water a large amount of soap is used to precipitate and remove the calcium, and only a small extra amount can cause lather. Hard water is generally not harmful to one’s health, but can pose serious problem in industrial setting where water hardness cause break down in boilers, cooling towers and other equipments that handles water. In domestic setting, water hardness causes formation of time scale (fur) in kettles and water heaters. Whenever water hardness is a concern, water softening is commonly used to reduce hard water’s adverse effects.
Hard water can be determined using many methods e.g EDTA, and can be softened using many processes e.g boiling, addition of washing soda permutit process etc. This (hard water) is expressed in the arbitrary units of parts per million (ppm) as calcium carbonate. This means that the degree of hardness of water is generally expressed in parts of calcium carbonate per million parts of water.
A close look at hardness of well water in Enugu metropolis reveals the importance of water, composition of water causes of water hardness. Advantages and disadvantages of water hardness and softening of water hardness. This also reveals the ways used to determine the hardness of water e.g. estimation of water hardness with EDTA. And process used in softening water hardness E.g Stephen lower process and permutite process etc.
Water is an excellent nuclephile. This process is known as hydrolysis, (reaction where water is the product) because water is a nucleophile it is a reactant and a product in many metabolic process which has a propensity to dissociate into hydroxide ions and protons.
The human body consists mostly of water, about 90% water forms on essential part of all body cells and fluid e.g blood. Water forms hydrogen bonding, water is a dipole, ie a molecule with electrical charge distributed asymmetrical about its structure.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
High human energy loss in washing (as indicated by level of soap and detergent consumption) and frequent damage on cooking utensils by furring and scaling has been on the increase in our society today. These problems arising from the use of well water necessitated this research water to review water hardness in Enugu metropolis.
1.3 AIM/OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The aim of this study is to determine experimentally the contaminants in well water from different Area in Enugu metropolis. The specific objectives are:
i. To determine the chemical contaminants in well water.
ii. To compare the level of hardness of well water from different Areas in Enugu metropolis using Asata, Coal camp and New Haven as case study.
1.4 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Due to insufficient funding, shortness of time and inadequate of materials/apparatuses in the laboratory of science laboratory technology department, this work is limited to only the chemical contaminants in well water that are capable of causing water hardness as reviewed in the literature. The samples analyzed were limited to only water sample from well water. And the study areas were only on the three selected areas under review.
1.5 SIGNIFICATION OF THE STUDY
This research work on the determination of water hardness from well water will help other researches who are struggling to identify and interpret the causes of hardness in well water. It will also educate the masses on the proper ways of well water analysis and treatment to ensure a clean and safe water usage.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Cover Page i Certification ii Dedication iii Acknowledgements iv Table of Content v Summary vii CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction 1 Chapt...Continue Reading »
2. THE EFFECT OF INHALED CANNABIS SATIVA AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C) ON THE BODY WEIGHT, ORGAN WEIGHT AND SEX HORMONE IN MALE WISTAR RATS» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page i Declaration ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgements v Table of contents vi Abstract xi CHAPTER ONE: INTRODU...Continue Reading »
3. ISOLATION AND IDENTIFICATION OF FUNGI SPOILAGE AND ORGANISMS IN PACKAGED AND UNPACKAGED MILK, SOYBEAN FLOUR AND CORN FLOUR» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Food products are a rich nutrient source that can attract both bacterial and fungal colonizers. Pitt et al (2009). As such, t...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Basically, this research was undertaken to analyze the accountability and budget implementation in Nigeria (a case study of ministry of finan...Continue Reading »
5. ASSESSMENT OF NOISE LEVEL AND ITS EFFECTS ON TEACHING AND LEARNING PROCESS IN PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ZARIA METROPOLIS, NIGERIA» ABSTRACTThis study measured the ambient noise levels in twenty schools (both primary and secondary) in Zaria to document the level of noise in the sch...Continue Reading »
6. AN INVESTIGATIVE STUDY ON THE VIEWS OF BIOLOGY STUDENTS ON THE PROBLEMS OF LABORATORY MANAGEMENT AND SAFETY IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Safety practice can be explained to mean the process of averting danger. According to advance lea...Continue Reading »
7. EGG CHOLESTEROL LEVEL AND BLOOD BIOCHEMICAL PROFILE OF SIX SPECIES OF POULTRY UNDER EXTENSIVE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM» ABSTRACT Six different poultry species (Indigenous chicken, Broiler, Turkey, Geese, Duck and Guinea fowl) were studied under extensive system of manag...Continue Reading »
8. ANTI-FUNGAL ACTIVITY OF CHLOROPHYTUM LAXUM (R Br) EXTRACT ON FUNGI ISOLATES ASSOCIATED WITH TINEA CAPITIS» ABSTRACT Dermatophytosis is a common fungal infection of the skin in humans and animals. This study evaluates anti fungal activity of Chlorophytum lax...Continue Reading »
9. EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDIES AND MOLECULAR CHARACTERISATION OF DERMATOPHYTES AMONG ALMAJIRAI IN MAKARFI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE» ABSTRACT This study is undertaken to measure the variation of terrestrial gamma radiation and the activity concentrations of U 238, Th 232 and K 40 in...Continue Reading »
10. COMPARE THE RATE OF GROWTH AND PLANT VIGOUR OF HYDROPONICALLY GROWTH PLANT TO PLANT GROWTH CONVENTIONAL ON SOIL» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Often time when learning about plants, we stumble unto the basic so called necessities of plants, the big four as some call i...Continue Reading »