Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 116 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: MTech, MSc or PhD.
- Full Access Fee: ₦10,000
Type 2 diabetes (T2D) occurs when there is an advanced determent in insulin action (insulin resistance, IR), which proceeds toβ-cell dysfunction. This present study assessed the modulatory effects of Buchholzia coriacea (B. coriacea) seeds extract in high fructose-fed, streptozotocin-induced T2D in male Wistar rats.
Methanolic extract (MEBC), hexane fraction (HFBC), ethyl acetate fraction (EFBC) and n-butanol fraction of BC (BFBC) were prepared using 70% methanol and successive solvent partitioning method respectively. Antioxidant activities of 1-1-diphenyl 2-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH), nitric oxide radical scavenging assay (NOSA) and hydroxyl radical scavenging activities (HRSA) were assessed as well as α-amylase inhibition in vitro. High fructose (20%, p.o) (2 weeks) followed by streptozotocin (STZ) (40 mg/kg, i.p.) (FRU + STZ) (day 14) administered to achieve T2D in vivo. Control normal and diabetic untreated (FRU + STZ) rats were administered carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) (1 ml/kg, p.o). Diabetic treated rats received BFBC (20, 200, 400 mg/kg, p.o), metformin (7.14 mg/kg, p.o) and glibenclamide (0.07 mg/kg, p.o) respectively.
BFBC had the highest percentage yield, DPPH and α-amylase inhibition activities, although, EFBC had a better inhibitory activities on HRSA and NOSA respectively. Also, untreated diabetic rats showed increase (p< 0.05 - 0.001) in blood glucose levels (BGLs), insulin (6 folds) and lipid peroxidation (LPO) levels in pancreas when compared with normal group. BFBC (20, 200, 400 mg/kg) showed decrease (p< 0.05) in BGLs in a time dependent manner in the BFBC treated animals.Similarly, BFBC produced a dose dependent decrease in serum insulin levels by 51% (20 mg/kg), 54% (200 mg/kg) and 70% (400 mg/kg) respectively.These effects were also comparable to metformin and glibenclamide. BFBC treatments elevated (p> 0.05) high density lipoprotein, but decreased (p> 0.05) triglycerides, total cholesterol and low density lipoprotein levels compared with control group while it lowers plasma alkaline phosphatase activities and urea (p< 0.05) compared with untreated group. BFBC (400 mg/kg) elevated total protein levels in the pancreas and heart by 103% and 7% compared with the untreated rats. Treatment of diabetic rats with BFBC elevated the body weights by 21% (20 and 200 mg/kg) and 36% (400 mg/kg) respectively. BFBC when administered did not significantly alter hematological, electrolytes and antioxidant enzyme activities in all rats. Histological assessments showed that sections of the pancreas, liver, kidney and heart from BFBC treated animals had reduced tissue damage compared with the untreated groups. Fourteen (14) bioactive compounds highest in oleic, stearic, 2-methyl-pyrrolidine-2-carboxylic, n-hexadecanoic, and 13-docosenoic acids were present in BFBC given Gas-Chromatography/Mass-Spectrometry analysis.
The diabetic animal model was able to present the natural history of the disease in human T2D. Also, BFBC doses used in this study demonstrate potentials against in vitro and in vivo oxidative stress, hyperinsulinaemia, dyslipidemia as well as declension in β-cell function in T2D rat experiment. Further, application of some derivatives of BFBC in the treatment of problems associated with T2D may be useful.
Keywords: Buchholzia coriacea, Streptozotocin, Fructose, Type 2 Diabetes, Metformin, Glibenclamide.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECTS OF ETHANOL LEAVES EXTRACT OF Jatropha tanjorensis ON RENAL FUNCTION OF MALE ALBINO WISTAR RATS» ABSTRACT This study is aimed at investigating effects of ethanol leaves extract of Jatropha tanjorensis on renal function of male albino wistar rats. ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research focus on compensation policy as means of attracting and retaining employee, it present a conceptual and theoretical study of the...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Diabetes Mellitus (DM) and Thyroid Dysfunction (TD) are the two most common endocrinopathies seen in general population.Type 2 diabetes melli...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This work evaluates the antioxidant potential of Monodora myristica (African nutmeg). Monodora myristica extract was obtained by solvent extr...Continue Reading »
5. ASSESSEMENT OF INFANT AND YOUNG CHILD FEEDING PRACTICES AND NUTRITIONAL STATUS OF CHILDREN (0-23 MONTHS) IN FUNTUA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, KATSINA STAT...» ABSTRACT Appropriate feeding practices are essential for the nutrition, growth, development and survival of infants and young children.Assessment of i...Continue Reading »
6. EFFECTS OF BITTER LEAF SOUP WITH GARRI ON BLOOD GLUCOSE AND GROWTH PERFORMANCES OF TYPE ONESTZ [STREPTOZOCIN] INDUCED DIABETIC RATS» A RESEARCH PROJECT ABSTRACT The antidiabetic effect of bitter leaf soup with garri on blood glucose and growth performances of type 1 streptozocin ind...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Most of traditional medicines are of plant origins. Nature has gifted us with so many medic...Continue Reading »
8. EFFECTS OF ETHANOLIC ROOT EXTRACT OF UGU OYIBO (Jatropha tanjorensis) ON HAEMATOLOGICAL INDICES OF FEMALE ALBINO WISTAR RAT» ABSTRACT Jatropha tanjorensis is a natural medicinal herb which has been used over the years in the treatment of many health disorders. This study was...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss) is one of the very few trees known in the Indian subcontinent (Puri, 1999). This tree b...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The centers for disease control and prevention (CDC) define chronic disease as prolonged illness that do not resolve spontaneously and are ra...Continue Reading »