Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 116 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: MTech, MSc or PhD.
- Full Access Fee: ₦10,000
Type 2 diabetes (T2D) occurs when there is an advanced determent in insulin action (insulin resistance, IR), which proceeds toβ-cell dysfunction. This present study assessed the modulatory effects of Buchholzia coriacea (B. coriacea) seeds extract in high fructose-fed, streptozotocin-induced T2D in male Wistar rats.
Methanolic extract (MEBC), hexane fraction (HFBC), ethyl acetate fraction (EFBC) and n-butanol fraction of BC (BFBC) were prepared using 70% methanol and successive solvent partitioning method respectively. Antioxidant activities of 1-1-diphenyl 2-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH), nitric oxide radical scavenging assay (NOSA) and hydroxyl radical scavenging activities (HRSA) were assessed as well as α-amylase inhibition in vitro. High fructose (20%, p.o) (2 weeks) followed by streptozotocin (STZ) (40 mg/kg, i.p.) (FRU + STZ) (day 14) administered to achieve T2D in vivo. Control normal and diabetic untreated (FRU + STZ) rats were administered carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) (1 ml/kg, p.o). Diabetic treated rats received BFBC (20, 200, 400 mg/kg, p.o), metformin (7.14 mg/kg, p.o) and glibenclamide (0.07 mg/kg, p.o) respectively.
BFBC had the highest percentage yield, DPPH and α-amylase inhibition activities, although, EFBC had a better inhibitory activities on HRSA and NOSA respectively. Also, untreated diabetic rats showed increase (p< 0.05 - 0.001) in blood glucose levels (BGLs), insulin (6 folds) and lipid peroxidation (LPO) levels in pancreas when compared with normal group. BFBC (20, 200, 400 mg/kg) showed decrease (p< 0.05) in BGLs in a time dependent manner in the BFBC treated animals.Similarly, BFBC produced a dose dependent decrease in serum insulin levels by 51% (20 mg/kg), 54% (200 mg/kg) and 70% (400 mg/kg) respectively.These effects were also comparable to metformin and glibenclamide. BFBC treatments elevated (p> 0.05) high density lipoprotein, but decreased (p> 0.05) triglycerides, total cholesterol and low density lipoprotein levels compared with control group while it lowers plasma alkaline phosphatase activities and urea (p< 0.05) compared with untreated group. BFBC (400 mg/kg) elevated total protein levels in the pancreas and heart by 103% and 7% compared with the untreated rats. Treatment of diabetic rats with BFBC elevated the body weights by 21% (20 and 200 mg/kg) and 36% (400 mg/kg) respectively. BFBC when administered did not significantly alter hematological, electrolytes and antioxidant enzyme activities in all rats. Histological assessments showed that sections of the pancreas, liver, kidney and heart from BFBC treated animals had reduced tissue damage compared with the untreated groups. Fourteen (14) bioactive compounds highest in oleic, stearic, 2-methyl-pyrrolidine-2-carboxylic, n-hexadecanoic, and 13-docosenoic acids were present in BFBC given Gas-Chromatography/Mass-Spectrometry analysis.
The diabetic animal model was able to present the natural history of the disease in human T2D. Also, BFBC doses used in this study demonstrate potentials against in vitro and in vivo oxidative stress, hyperinsulinaemia, dyslipidemia as well as declension in β-cell function in T2D rat experiment. Further, application of some derivatives of BFBC in the treatment of problems associated with T2D may be useful.
Keywords: Buchholzia coriacea, Streptozotocin, Fructose, Type 2 Diabetes, Metformin, Glibenclamide.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The pulp of Detarium microcarpum fruit was obtained and was analyzed for the proximate, mineral and anti nutrient composition using standard ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Calcium is the most important mineral in the body. The body needs calcium for normal functioning of nerves and muscles including the most imp...Continue Reading »
3. Garcinia kola Heckel STEM BARK ETHANOLIC EXTRACT AND ITS TRITERPENOID FRACTION PROTECTED AGAINST SODIUM ARSENITE-INDUCED HEPATOTOXICITY AND NEPHROTOXI...» ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research focus on compensation policy as means of attracting and retaining employee, it present a conceptual and theoretical study of the...Continue Reading »
5. DETERMINATION OF PHYTIC ACID CONTENT, OXALATE CONTENT, TANNIN CONTENT AND CYANIDE CONTENT IN TEN EDIBLE SEEDS» ABSTRACT Antrinutitional factors re compounds which reduce the nutrient utilization or food intake of plant or plant products (seeds) used as human fo...Continue Reading »
6. STUDY ON THE DESTABILIZATION OF LYSOZYME AND THE CHAPERONE-LIKE ACTIVITY OF ALPHA CRYSTALLIN FROM SOKOTO RED GOAT EYE LENS» ABSTRACT Destabilization of Lysozyme and chaperone like action of alpha crystallin isolated from goat’s eye lens was investigated at various tempera...Continue Reading »
7. EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC ROOT EXTRACT OF JATHROPHA TANJORENSIS ON KIDNEY FUNCTION OF FEMALE ALBINO WISTAR RATS» ABSTRACT Jatropha tanjorensis has been consumed as a leafy vegetable and as a medicinal plant in Nigeria has shown hematological, antimalarial, antimi...Continue Reading »
8. AN ASSESSMENT OF TEENAGE AWARENESS ON DIABETES MELLITUS FOR BEHAVIOUR CHANGE IN SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN SABON GARI LGA OF KADUNA STATE» ABSTRACT In Nigeria, little attention has been paid to communicate and create awareness to teenagers about diabetes mellitus. Diabetes mellitus is a n...Continue Reading »
9. CONSUMPTION PATTERN AND EFFECT OF PROCESSING ON FATTY ACID PROFILE OF MILK FAT (MANSHANU) PRODUCED FROM MILK OF LOCAL COW BREEDS IN ZARIA» ABSTRACT The consumption pattern and effect of processing on fatty acid profile of milk fat (manshanu) produced from milk of local cow breeds (Bunaji,...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Soil erosion is a problem that needs to be controlled in order to forestall its danger in any loca...Continue Reading »