Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 116 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: MTech, MSc or PhD.
- Full Access Fee: ₦10,000
Type 2 diabetes (T2D) occurs when there is an advanced determent in insulin action (insulin resistance, IR), which proceeds toβ-cell dysfunction. This present study assessed the modulatory effects of Buchholzia coriacea (B. coriacea) seeds extract in high fructose-fed, streptozotocin-induced T2D in male Wistar rats.
Methanolic extract (MEBC), hexane fraction (HFBC), ethyl acetate fraction (EFBC) and n-butanol fraction of BC (BFBC) were prepared using 70% methanol and successive solvent partitioning method respectively. Antioxidant activities of 1-1-diphenyl 2-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH), nitric oxide radical scavenging assay (NOSA) and hydroxyl radical scavenging activities (HRSA) were assessed as well as α-amylase inhibition in vitro. High fructose (20%, p.o) (2 weeks) followed by streptozotocin (STZ) (40 mg/kg, i.p.) (FRU + STZ) (day 14) administered to achieve T2D in vivo. Control normal and diabetic untreated (FRU + STZ) rats were administered carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) (1 ml/kg, p.o). Diabetic treated rats received BFBC (20, 200, 400 mg/kg, p.o), metformin (7.14 mg/kg, p.o) and glibenclamide (0.07 mg/kg, p.o) respectively.
BFBC had the highest percentage yield, DPPH and α-amylase inhibition activities, although, EFBC had a better inhibitory activities on HRSA and NOSA respectively. Also, untreated diabetic rats showed increase (p< 0.05 - 0.001) in blood glucose levels (BGLs), insulin (6 folds) and lipid peroxidation (LPO) levels in pancreas when compared with normal group. BFBC (20, 200, 400 mg/kg) showed decrease (p< 0.05) in BGLs in a time dependent manner in the BFBC treated animals.Similarly, BFBC produced a dose dependent decrease in serum insulin levels by 51% (20 mg/kg), 54% (200 mg/kg) and 70% (400 mg/kg) respectively.These effects were also comparable to metformin and glibenclamide. BFBC treatments elevated (p> 0.05) high density lipoprotein, but decreased (p> 0.05) triglycerides, total cholesterol and low density lipoprotein levels compared with control group while it lowers plasma alkaline phosphatase activities and urea (p< 0.05) compared with untreated group. BFBC (400 mg/kg) elevated total protein levels in the pancreas and heart by 103% and 7% compared with the untreated rats. Treatment of diabetic rats with BFBC elevated the body weights by 21% (20 and 200 mg/kg) and 36% (400 mg/kg) respectively. BFBC when administered did not significantly alter hematological, electrolytes and antioxidant enzyme activities in all rats. Histological assessments showed that sections of the pancreas, liver, kidney and heart from BFBC treated animals had reduced tissue damage compared with the untreated groups. Fourteen (14) bioactive compounds highest in oleic, stearic, 2-methyl-pyrrolidine-2-carboxylic, n-hexadecanoic, and 13-docosenoic acids were present in BFBC given Gas-Chromatography/Mass-Spectrometry analysis.
The diabetic animal model was able to present the natural history of the disease in human T2D. Also, BFBC doses used in this study demonstrate potentials against in vitro and in vivo oxidative stress, hyperinsulinaemia, dyslipidemia as well as declension in β-cell function in T2D rat experiment. Further, application of some derivatives of BFBC in the treatment of problems associated with T2D may be useful.
Keywords: Buchholzia coriacea, Streptozotocin, Fructose, Type 2 Diabetes, Metformin, Glibenclamide.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ANTI-HYPERLIPIDEMIC POTENTIAL OF VITEX DONIANAETHANOLEXTRACTS ON POLOXAMER 407 INDUCED HYPERLIPIDEMIC AND NORMAL RATS.» ABSTRACT Anti hyperlipidemic potential of extracts (aqueous, 70% methanol, 70% ethanol and 70%, acetone) of Vitexdoniana leaves, stem bark and root ba...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page Cover Page Certification Dedication Acknowledgement Table of Contents Abstract List of Tables List of Figures CHAPTER ONE...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTIONSweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is an important food crop in the tropical and sub tropical countries and belongs to the family c...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Intake of tomato and tomato based products contributes to the absorption of a wide range of carotenoids in human serum an...Continue Reading »
5. ANGIOTENSIN CONVERTING ENZYME INHIBITORY ACTIVITY AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITIES OF AQUEOUS EXTRACT OF COMBRETUM MICRANTHUM LEAVES» ABSTRACT Angiotensin I Converting Enzyme (ACE) is a glycoprotein with peptidyl dipeptide hydrolase activity which cleaves Angiotensin I to produce Ang...Continue Reading »
6. EFFECTS OF ETHANOLIC ROOT EXTRACT OF Jatropha tanjorensis ON LIPID PROFILE OF FEMALE ALBINO WISTAR RAT» ABSTRACT This research work was carried out to determine the effects of ethanolic root extract of Jatropha tanjorensis on lipid profile of female albi...Continue Reading »
7. CONSUMPTION PATTERN AND EFFECT OF PROCESSING ON FATTY ACID PROFILE OF MILK FAT (MANSHANU) PRODUCED FROM MILK OF LOCAL COW BREEDS IN ZARIA» ABSTRACT The consumption pattern and effect of processing on fatty acid profile of milk fat (manshanu) produced from milk of local cow breeds (Bunaji,...Continue Reading »
8. CARDIO PROTECTIVE ACTIVITIES OF N-HEXANE EXTRACT OF DESMODIUM VELUTINUM STEM ON ALBINO WISTER RAT» ABSTRACT This study evaluates the effect of the cardio protective N hexane extract of Desmodium stem velutinum on wister albino rat. The rats used in ...Continue Reading »
9. COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE EFFECT OF Rauwolfia vomitoria ROOT-BARK EXTRACT ON SEX HORMONES IN MALE AND FEMALEALBINO WISTAR RATS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Plants have been considered as sources of medicinal agents, as it offers natural products useful for ...Continue Reading »
10. STUDY ON THE DESTABILIZATION OF LYSOZYME AND THE CHAPERONE-LIKE ACTIVITY OF ALPHA CRYSTALLIN FROM SOKOTO RED GOAT EYE LENS» ABSTRACT Destabilization of Lysozyme and chaperone like action of alpha crystallin isolated from goat’s eye lens was investigated at various tempera...Continue Reading »