Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 92 pages long and it is in MS Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
This study is a modest attempt at a lucid explication of the impact of local government in Nigeria.
Nigerian local government system has witnessed tremendous transformation since the introductions of the 1988 civil service reforms and its application at the local government administration one of the changes introduced to strengthen the local government is the direct payment of their statutory allocations which was increased from 15% to 20%. In addition local government auditor was established in each state government to ensure proper utilization of financial resources at the local level to check any misappropriation of public funds. Also all local government now has a common structure which distinguish them from service department.
Local government at any level has some stand and roles such as the maintenance of law and order, the promotion of economic and social development. They are left with considerable freedom to act as they see fit for the interest of the local community.
From the point of view the government as agents of development are will place to help the rural areas to develop. These can be done by investing in social and economic infrastructure such as roads, bridges, hospitals, schools, electrification and telecommunication. The other essential duties inherited from the Native Authorities include rural and the urban water supplies markets and libraries. We generally regard the convenience list as including those extra amenities which make for a better life in the community, other than those life in the community, other than those which are concerned with fighting discuss e.g. bus and lorry parks. The regulation of handcarts on the streets, community and recreation centers, parks and open spaces, grazing areas and fuel plantations, the naming of streets and the numbering of buildings. These are recognized as automatically the responsibility of the local government. They also help in the service of park control and supply of water, electricity and gas, the provision of road and water transport, and any other trading undertaking that the state government specifically authorizes.
The local government also take care for a specifically health orientation and supplying of drugs, a midwifery service, to arrange for health visiting and home nursing to provide facilities for vaccination and immunization.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Local government is expected to become more meaningful in facilitating social and economic development at the grassroots level. Central to the achievement of these objectives is the financial viability of this tier of government. This point has been subtly underscored by “Dasuki panel” on local government administration, when it observed inter alia that a good number of local government roles could not be performed at all, due to a variety of reasons principal among which are:
- Inadequate financial capacity
- Lack of necessary technical manpower, and erosion of functions particularly in the revenue yielding areas by state government – thus reducing the revenue base of the local government.
This demonstrates that success or failure of local government depends among other things, on their revenue base, the fiscal resources available and the way these resources are utilized. However, central to the above is the ability of the local government to generate substantial financial resources which is one of the tripartite goals of every local government in Nigeria more importantly, one is inclined to think that this is the point that can give an impact in breaking the vicious cycle of poverty of NSUKKA local government. The researcher wants to identify the reasons for the vicarious cycle, and proffer a solution to the above problems.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This study seeks to look at the contribution of local government development of rural areas in Nigeria using NSUKKA local government area of ENUGU state.
This research also aimed at identifying different factors militating the effectiveness of local government and solutions to those problems identified and it will be offered at the completion of the research work.
Finally, the study makes a modest attempt to fulfill this purpose in the social and economic development of the effective delivery of service to the respective local populations scattered all over the country. It also make a recommendations on making local government an effective third level of government, the development and management of the human resources of local governments and the development of the financial resources of local government. The overall thrust of the recommendation is on how to ensure faithful implementation of local government.
The research questions for work will be based on the following:
H0: Do local governments have any role to play in the economic development of rural area?
H1: Local governments have any role to play in the economic development of rural area?
H0: To what extent has local government administration?
Played its roles in rural area?
H2: Local government has definite administrative system of making sure that grass root development is brought to the local level.
H0-: Does low morale among the staffs of local government militate development of rural areas?
H3: Yes local government confidence and spirit of group work is what the administration need to achieve progress.
H0: Is there any constraints that militate against the success of development process of local government?
H1: Does weak financial base hinder the goals of meeting up rural development?
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The need and importance of the research is obvious. At a time when local government has come to assume an overwhelming influence on the process of political and economic development.
It becomes more relevant to examine much more closely, the characters and dynamics of this three tier of government and to clarify the major contradictions that have landed to impede its capacity to promote development at local level.
However, a scientific study of this kind becomes necessary especially at this time when the past and present civilian administrations are particularly concern about rural development.
Finally, this study will generally add to the growing numbers of literature on local government affairs, more particularly on the roles of local government administration in economic ad social development of rural area in Nigeria and pragmatic solutions offered towards making them more efficient and responsive to the needs of rural Nigerians, it also to policy makers and researchers alike.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research area and dimension of coverage is based on only the roles of local government administration in economic and social development of rural area in Nigeria and to staff, teachers businessmen, farmers, in Nsukka South local government of Enugu State.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study seeks to look at the contribution of local government development administration in economic and social development of rural area in Nigeria.
This research also aimed at identifying different factors militating the effectiveness of local government and solution to those problems identified and the will be offered at the completion of the research work.
Questionnaire have been designed to cover all solvent facts of local government development administration in economic and social development in Nigeria, not all column of information will be analyzed and used in the study.
Obviously only those information immediately required providing a sound base for preferred to collect and the difficult in getting questionnaires returned would mutability put a limitation to both sample size and the amount of useful data available to whose situation.
Finally, the study makes a modest attempt to fulfill this purpose in the social and economic development of the effective delivery of service to the respective local population scattered all over the country.
It also make a recommendation on making local government an effective third based of government, the development and management of the human resource of local government an effective third base of government, the development and management of the human resource of local and the development of the financial resource of local government.
The overall thrust of the recommendation is on how to ensure faithfully implementation of local government.
DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
The following terms have been defined for the purpose of this study:
- Local government: This is government at a local level exercised through representative councils established by laws toe exercise specific functions with in a defined area.
- Development: Development is a multi – dimensional process involving a re-organizational and reorientation of the entire economic and social system, in addition to improve income and outcome. Its typically involves radical changes in institutional, social as well popular attitude and sometimes even customs and belief.
- Council: This refers to the organ that constitute representation of people either elected or nominated.
- Social Economic Development: This is a combination of social and economic development. It embraces improvement in not only standard of living and per-capital income, but also high level of employment, reducing inflation, adequate food, high infrastructures, stressing values rather than achievement.
- Objectives: These are end results to which an organization or government activity directed objective are hierarchical in nature are determined or formulated by top management of an organization after economic, social and political forces affecting the organization have been apprised.
- Programmes; This consists of essentially integrated series of development projects that spans over a length of time.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EVALUATION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF KANO STATE FOREIGN SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME ON MANPOWER CAPACITY BUILDING (2011-2015)» ABSTRACT Foreign scholarship programme is an important strategy for manpower capacity building and development. The Kano state government has sponsore...Continue Reading »
2. IMPACT OF INTERGOVERNMENTAL RELATIONS ON LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA, WITH PARTICULAR REFERENCE TO KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA O...» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION This study examine the background study intergovernmental relation, statement of the problem, objective of the study, sig...Continue Reading »
3. THE INCIDENT OF POVERTY ON EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE CITIZENS. (A CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC, IDAH, STUDENTS)» ABSTRACT Poverty has been a serious problem facing all society over the years. This paper critically analyses the problems associated with poverty ove...Continue Reading »
4. MANAGING HIV\AIDS STIGMA IN THE WORKPLACE; CASE STUDY OF THE EASTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study According to UNAIDS Report (2004), almost five million people became newly infected with HIV in 2003,...Continue Reading »
5. FRAUD CONTROL IN THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT SYSTEM, CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS: A STUDY OF EBONYI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA (2003-2014)» ABSTRACT This work titled “Fraud Control in the Local Government System; Challenges and Prospects; A Study of Ebonyi Local Government Area (2003...Continue Reading »
6. THE ROLE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION IN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT OF RURAL AREA IN NIGERIA. (A CASE STUDY OF UDI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA IN...» ABSTRACT In this research work, the researcher intended to have a general discussion with local government as my background. But lack of space may not...Continue Reading »
7. THE EFFECTS OF PRIVATIZATION AND COMMERCIALIZATION POLICY ON NATIONAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF PHCN, EKWULOBIA)» abstract the major purpose of this study is to ascertain the effects of privatization and commercialization policy on economic development using power...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research proffers a conceptual and theoretical investigation on insecurity a threat to national development.The study is particularly imp...Continue Reading »
9. IMPACT OF FUNDING ON QUALITY EDUCATION IN AHMADU BELLO AND NASARAWA UNIVERSITIES, NIGERIA 2001-2009» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study It is commonly presumed that formal schooling is one of several important contributors to the ski...Continue Reading »
10. THE IMPACT OF MOTIVATION ON STAFF OVERALL PERFORMANCE IN THE CIVIL SERVICE (A CASE STUDY ON MINISTRY OF EDUCATION - EBONYI)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is determine the effect of motivational modern on the impact of motivational model on the impact of motivation on s...Continue Reading »