Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 91 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Development is a sine qua non for modern civilization. In a crusade and struggle to carryout development at all nooks and crannies of the society, the local government as the tier of government that is nearest to the people is saddled with the responsibility of direct development of the people to a certain level.
Development is highly associated with fund, much revenue is needed to plan, execute and maintain infrastructures and facilities at the local government level. The needed revenue generated for such developmental projects. Like construction of accessible roads, building of public schools, health care centers, construction of bridges among others are soles generated from taxes, royalties, haulages, fines and grants from states, national and international governments.
Thus, the Local government cannot embark, execute and possibly carryout the maintenance of these projects and other responsibilities without adequate revenue generation.
This is the basic reason why development is skeletal at some Local Government councils in Nigeria. The issue of poor revenue generation is not exceptional to local government in Abia State. This has been one of the problems encountered by Umuahia North Local Government.
This however pronouncedly affected development negatively in local government councils. In this research project, the issue to address is how far can this poor revenue generation affect development especially in Umuahia North Local Government.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The Local Government Council take direct care of the grassroots people, that is the people in the rural areas. This group of people sometimes lack essential facilities and condition of modern civilization. They lack pipe bore water to drink, do not have electricity, accessible roads, poor educational infrastructure and facilities to mention but a few.
This is one of the major reasons of rural – urban migration of movement. This has made our cities to be congested and increase in many criminal activities. Based on the above and foregoing assertions, it is obivious that the impact of poor revenue generation on the development of the rural area is a serious problem. This might be as a result of poor revenue generation. If Nigeria is to achieve her desired goal of vision 2020 and possibly meet the millennium development goals (MDGS) target, the issue of revenue generation must be addressed squarely.
Hence the researcher is bothered to find out the impact of poor revenue generation on the lives of people at the rural area and how it has affected development in general especially in Umuahia North Local Government Area.
1.3 PURPOSE/OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The broad objective of the research is to evaluate the impact created by poor revenue generation on the development of Umuahia North in Abia State.
The other objective of this study includes:
i. To determine the level of modern social amenities available in Umuahia North.
ii. To find out the level of poverty associated with the rural people as a result of poor development
iii. To find out the degree of rural-urban migration.
iv. To make useful suggestions to solve the problem of poor revenue generation as development depends on revenue generated.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
i. What are the impacts of poor revenue generation on the development of Umuahia North?
ii. Are there adequate modern social amenities in Umuahia North?
iii. Is the poverty level of the rural people high has a result of poor development?
iv. Has poor revenue generation in Umuahia North contributed to rural-urban migration?
v. How can revenue generation in Umuahia North be improved?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of any human endeavour is measured by its relevance to solving human problems. The findings of this study would help Umuahia North Local Government to identify the problems associated with revenue generation and its consequences on development.
1.6 SCOPE AND DELIMITATION
The study is focused on the impact of poor revenue generation and how it affects development of the local government areas. It will also involve the analysis of problems associated wit revenue generation and its impact on the development of Umuahia North Local Government.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The researcher was constraint by time as time frame for the submission of this research was short for an expansive research.
The researcher equally encountered financial limitation as lack of sponsorship from corporate bodies thus; the researcher’s little resources could not cover more areas.
The willingness of most local government staff to supply the needed data was another major problem.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Some concepts require proper explanation to enhance our understanding of the theme where necessary opinion of scholars will be cited to explain the terms. The researcher will also give some fundamental definition of terms.
According to Lawal (2000) Local Government as a political sub-division of a nation in Federal system which is constituted by law and has substantial control of local affairs which includes the power to impose taxes or exact labor for prescribed purpose.
According to William Robson (2006) Defined Local Government as involving the conception of territorial, non-sovereign community possessing the legal right and the necessary organization to regulate its own affairs.
Public revenue could be defined as the funds generated by the government to finance its activities. In other words revenue is the total fund generated by government (Federal, state, local government/ to meet their expenditure for a fiscal year.
This refers also to the grand total of money of income received from the source of which expenses are incurred. Revenue could be internal or external revenue.
This is the process of sourcing revenue for the local government in carryout their aim and objectives.
Public expenditure refers to the expenses which the government incurs for its own maintenance, in the interest of the society and the economy in order to help other countries.
Tax can be defined as a compulsory levy by government on goods, services, income and wealth. It provides definite source of revenue for government expenditure. (Udeh O.S. 2008)
It is the way by which government obtain extra money. It spent from income of individual and companies. Tax could be direct or indirect tax. A tax is a payment made by the taxpayers and used by the government for the benefits of all the citizens.
Tax evasion means illegal reduction in one’s tax liabilities, thereby paying less than the appropriate amounts and not paying at all.
Tax avoidance is the act of streamlining one’s financial affairs within the law so as to minimize the tax liabilities.
According to Ake (2001) Development is thus the process by which people create and recreate themselves and their life circumstances to realize higher levels of civilization in accordance with their own choice and values.
It also a type of social change in which new ideas are introduces into a social in order to produce higher per-capital income and levels of living through more modern production methods and improved social organization.
Abba, E U. (2008). Local Government Administration in Nigeria. Onitsha: Abbot Books Ltd.
Okoli, F.C. (2000). Theory and Practice of Local Government. Enugu: Intec Printers Ltd.
Udeh, O.S. (2008). Public Financial Management. Enugu: Malik Enterprises Nigeria.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AN APPRAISAL OF THE ADMINISTRATION OF PERSONAL INCOME TAXATION: A CASE STUDY OF ABIA STATE BOARD OF INTERNAL REVENUE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In developed and developing countries there are wide range of taxes and levies that affect indivi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction Unlike other socio economic concept, poverty does not have a generally accepted definition because of its multidimensiona...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study examines the Impact of Ikeja Local Government Administration on Poverty Alleviation in the sub urban area called Ikeja in Lagos Sta...Continue Reading »
4. PERCEPTION OF PREGNANT WOMEN TOWARDS VOLUNTARY COUNSELING AND TESTING FOR HIV/AIDS IN PATIENT OF KADUNA NORTH HOSPITALS, KADUNA STATE.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background Of The Study HIV/AIDS continues to destroy individuals and communities within Africa, there is a need to explo...Continue Reading »
5. PROJECT ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA, A STUDY OF IDEMILI NORTH AND SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS OF ANAMBRA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study focuses on projects administration in the Idemili North and South Local Governments of Anambra State. The problem that attracted t...Continue Reading »
6. ROLES OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT. (A CASE STUDY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN EBONYI STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY This study is a modest attempt at a lucid explication of the role of local government in Nigeria....Continue Reading »
7. IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF DISCIPLINARY MEASURES ON STAFF PERFORMANCE IN KADUNA STATE WATER BOARD AND SUNSEED NIGERIA LIMITED ZARIA» ABSTRACT The study entitled “Impact Assessment of Disciplinary measures on staff performance in Kaduna State Water Board Zaria, City District an...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the StudyIn recent times, world attention is being focused on the importance of manpower planning and develop...Continue Reading »
9. STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE OF HUMAN RESOURCE IN AN ORGANIZATION DESPITE THE SO CALLED INTRODUCTION OF MODERN TECHNOLOGIES IN CARRYING OUT VARIOUS ACTIVITIES...» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Human Resource Management (HRM or simply HR) is the management of an organization’s workforce or human r...Continue Reading »
10. THE CHALLENGES OF EFFECTIVE PRIVATIZATION OF PUBLIC ENTERPRISES IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF THE NIGERIAN TELECOMMUNICATION LIMITED NITEL)» ABSTRACT This project titled “ The challenges of Effective Privatization of Public Enterprises in Nigeria using Nigeria Telecommunication in Lim...Continue Reading »