Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 47 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Violence in one form or the other is not restricted to a section of human communities. Individuals, groups and even nations experience violence of various kinds. The nature of struggle over values, interests, power, ideology and resources of different kinds necessitates the occurrence of violence in human life (Albert, 2000). Prison communities are not far from other human communities that experience violence peculiar to their social environment. Prison break destroys human lives (inmate and prison personnel) and property worth millions of naira in Nigeria. The incessant prison break and jail breaks in Nigeria have created a negative image for the country. However, the lack of adequate research to reveal the causes of prison break and jail breaks in Nigeria has made control difficult and impacted negatively in the relevance of prison in Nigeria. Three major research instruments were used to collect the qualitative data for this study. In-depth interview guide (IDI), Focus group discussion (FGD) and non-participatory observation were used to obtain data for the study. The study was conducted at Agodi prison yard, Ibadan Oyo state Command Secretariat, CP quarters Jericho Ibadan, Oyo Prisons, and Ogbomosho farm centre. Other secondary sources of data include text books, journals and newspapers. The researcher consulted legal practitioners and non-governmental organizations that operate within the prisons. The data obtained were analyzed using descriptive and content analysis. The study adopted relative deprivation and frustration and aggression theories. The study revealed that high profile inmates spear head violence in Nigeria prison. Government negligence, deteriorating facilities and overcrowding caused inmates to protest. Poor prison management style and corrupt practices by prison officials equally led to prison break. The study concluded that to achieve effective management of the prison and reduce prison break, both the government and the prison management must take their responsibilities seriously. Prison officials must be trained adequately on how to prevent and manage prison break constructively
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Prisons in Nigeria are a major institution. Inmates locked within the prison walls are segregated from the outside world, kept under constant scrutiny and surveillance, and forced to obey a strict code of oicial rules to avoid facing formal sanctions and consequences. Their personal possessions are taken from them and they must conform to institutional dress and personal appearance norms. Many human functions are thoroughly curtailed – heterosexual activity, friendship, family relationships, society, education, and participation in groups become seriously restricted or to a higher level entirely cut-o [Senna and Siegel, 1981]. It is an institution designed to warehouse people who have been convicted or suspected of crimes. These individuals, known as prisoners or inmates, are kept in continuous custody on a short or long-term basis. Individuals who commit the most serious crimes are sent to prison for one or more years; the more serious the oense, the longer the prison term imposed. For certain crimes, such as murder, oenders may be sentenced to life imprisonment. The major objective of the Nigerian Prisons Service is essentially to hold in custody all those legally interned and accused (Awaiting Trial Persons) while ensuring that all prisoners have access to speedy and fair justice. The Nigerian Prisons Service is also charged with the core responsibility of promoting public protection by providing assistance for oenders in their reformation and rehabilitation under safe, secure and humane conditions, in accordance with universally accepted standards and to facilitate their social reintegration into the society. The Nigerian Prisons Service is supposed to guide and assist the authorities in achieving peaceful and non-riotous situations in the prisons. However, frequent prison breaks in Nigerian prisons have continued to occur. Hence, this trend poses a great research interest, since it is a security threat, not only to the prison authority, but to national security in general. It is then an interesting exercise in trying by way of academic research to unravel the reasons as to why there are incessant prison breaks in Nigeria in recent times.
STATEMENT OF THE GENERAL PROBLEM
The poor infrastructure and lack of adequate care of prison inmates in Nigerian prisons have led to the frequent cases of prison breaks in Nigeria which have posed a lot of security challenges to the country. This has regrettably led to the increase of crime and other vices. The Nigerian prison service have overtime been put the blame but the blame shouldn’t be laid to their feet alone as the Nigerian government should have part of the blame as well. Prison or prison breaks does not augur well for any society let alone Nigeria.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The major aim of the study is to examine the effect and causes of prison break in Nigeria. Other specific objectives of the study is to;
2. determine the causes of prison breaks in Nigerian prisons?
3. examine the impact prison breaks in Nigerian prisons?
4. suggest ways prison break can be managed in Nigerian prisons?
1. What are the causes of prison breaks in Nigerian prisons?
2. What is the impact prison breaks in Nigerian prisons?
3. How can prison break be managed in Nigerian prisons?
H0: Prison breaks have no significant effect on the security of Nigeria.
H1: Prison breaks have significant effect on the security of Nigeria.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study would greatly benefit the Nigerian prison service and by extension the governments at all levels as it would reveal the effect of jail break on the security of Nigeria while highlighting the ways of curbing such. The study would also be of immense benefit to students, researchers and scholars who are interested in developing further studies on the subject matter.
SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study is restricted to the effect and causes of prison breaks in Nigeria using the kuje prisons Abuja as a case study.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Financial constraint: Insuicient fund tends to impede the eiciency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview)
Time constraint: The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Over the years, Nigeria has had a number of laudable projects that makes one proud of being a Nigeria...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work is an attempt to find out some basic facts about people’s attitudes toward implication of inflation on the Nigeria e...Continue Reading »
3. OIL IN NIGERIAN PROSE FICTION: A STUDY OF HELON HABILA’S OIL ON WATER AND KAINE AGARY’S YELLOW YELLOW» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Since prehistory, literature and the arts have been drawn to portrayals of physical environments ...Continue Reading »
4. FRAUD CONTROL IN THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT SYSTEM, CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS: A STUDY OF EBONYI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA (2003-2014)» ABSTRACT This work titled “Fraud Control in the Local Government System; Challenges and Prospects; A Study of Ebonyi Local Government Area (2003...Continue Reading »
5. PENSION REFORM ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA: A CASE STUDY OF EDO STATE CIVIL SERVICE, EDO STATE, NIGERIA» INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The civil service of any nation is the centerpiece of its administrative activities and performance and its outpu...Continue Reading »
6. POLITICS OF POVERTY REDUCTION IN NIGERIA: A STUDY OF THE ACTIVITIES OF EBONYI STATE COMMUNITY POVERTY REDUCTION AGENCY (EB-CPRA) IN ABAKALIKI L...» ABSTRACT This study titled “Politics of Poverty Reduction in Nigeria” A study of the activities of Ebonyi State Community Poverty Reductio...Continue Reading »
7. THE IMPACT OF SEGMENTATION ON THE MARKETING OF GOVERNMENT LPROGRAMMES IN SELECTED LOCAL GOVERRNMENT AREAS IN ENUKGU STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Nwankwo (1992:1) defined government as a body of persons and institutions or agencies that make a...Continue Reading »
8. THE ROLE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS IN CRISIS MANAGEMENT (A CASE STUDY OF THE ETITI IHITTE-UBOMA, LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF IMO STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Crisis emerged in the universe right from the beginning of man and has remain a reoccurring varia...Continue Reading »
9. THE ROLE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (A case study of Local Government council in Lagos State)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The local government has long being in existence although it is under the supervision of the stat...Continue Reading »
» abstract this study is on the effects of poor records management in an office organization. the purpose of the study is to find the effect of poor rec...Continue Reading »