Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 48 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.0 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
The internet is a global system of interconnected computers that uses the standard internet protocol suite (TCPT/IP) to serve billions of users worldwide (Wikipedia, 2011). Castells, (1996) it is a network of millions of private, public, academic, business, and government computer networks linked by a broad array of electronic and optical networking technologies.
Castells, (2001) defines the internet as a worldwide interconnection of computers and computer networks that facilitates the sharing of exchange of information among users.
Wikipedia, (2011) explains that the internet carries a vast range of information resources and services to support traditional communication media including telephone, cinema and redefined by the internet, giving birth to new services such as voice over internet protocol (VOIP).
According to the Wikipedia, (2011) newspapers, books and other print media are adapting to website technology or are reshaped into blogging and web feeds. The internet has enabled or accelerated new forms of human interactions through instant messaging, internet for a , and social networking oppapers. Com/essays/2003.
According to cheong and Morrison, (2008), the internet is allowing greater flexibility in working hours and locations, especially with the speed connections, especially with the speed connections and web applications. Also, the internet can now be accessed almost anywhere by numerous means especially through mobile internet devices, mobile phones, data cards, handheld game consoles and cellular routers which allow users to connect to the internet from anywhere there is a network supporting that device’s technology (Goldsborough, 2009).
Castells, (2001), asserts that within the limitations imposed by small screens and other limited facilities of such pocket-sized devices, services of the internet, including email and web, may be available. Services offered and wireless data transmission charges may be significantly higher than other access methods.
The internet is fast becoming the dominant means of communications and commerce in the 21st century, its play the main role in changing communication throughout the world and also impacting on global economic system.
According to McLuhan, (1964) globalization has forever changed the world in which we live to a world that has become increasingly interconnected. McLuhan,  also asserts that the internet is perhaps the most prominent tool that has facilitated the interconnectedness. Internet network has shortened the communication distance by dimension of time and places together, giving birth to form of social networks.
A study (Goldsborough, 2008) indicates an increasing stage in social network usage. This increase is considered as another important change of the world’s information history. Students were mainly considered the first group users of social networks, and most white- collar professionals now also use them (Kim, 2008).
The Wikipedia (2011) narrates that the internet has enabled entirely new forms of social interaction, activities, and communication, thanks to its basic features such as wide spread us ability and access.
There are many social networking sites, such as face book, twitter, MySpace, HI5, Nimbus, 2go, Blackberry chart (Bbchart), xanga, yahoo and Bebo has created new ways to socialize and interact.
According to Rehmeyer, (2007) However, the internet has achieved new relevance as a political tool, leading to internet censorship by some states. This is however rare, the presidential campaign of Howard dean in 2004 in the United States was notable for its success in soliciting donation via the internet.(Rehmeyer, 2007)
Social networking websites have expanded rapidly over the last few years and have created new and varied channels of communication via internet, whether through personal computer or mobile phones. Many people are now members of social networking websites.
Cooke and Buckley, (2008) predict that the internet would be the marketing tactics of the future. Also, Cheong and Morrison, (2008) explain that with technology advances and the growth of digital media usage advertisers are seeking new ways to reach consumers. Advertisers spend over N304, 000,000,000,000 billion on social media advertising (marketer, 2009). Predictions indicates that advertisers may be spending almost #532,8064 12291382 trillion ($3.5b).
According to Wikipedia, (2011) the social network site is a social structure made up of individuals (or organizations) which are connected by one or more specific types of interdependency, such as friendship, kinship, common interest financial exchange or relationships of beliefs, knowledge or prestige.
However, according to Simmels, (2001) people have used the idea of “social network” loosely for over a century to connote complex sets of relationships between members of social systems at all scales, from interpersonal to international. The type of social network helps determine a network’s usefulness to its individuals.
According to shields and Maggie,(2011) Twitter is an online social networking service that enables its users to send and read text- based posts of up to 140 characters known as “tweets”. Twitter was created in 2006 by Jack Dorsey and launched in July of that year (Twitter search team, 2011).
Also, the Wikipedia (2011) narrates that twitter rapidly gained worldwide popularity, with 200million users as 2011, generating over 200million tweets and handling over 1.6billion search quarries per day. Twitter inc; the company that operates the service and associated website, is based in san Francisco, California, with additional servers and offices in san Antonio, Texas, Boston, and New York (Twitter.com(2010).
According to Twitter blog (2010) the tripping point for Twitter’s popularity was the 2007 south by south west festival in San Francisco, during the event, Twitter usage increased from 20,000 tweets per day to 60,000.
According to compete.com (2010) the company experienced rapid growth with 400,000 tweets posted per quarter in 2007. This grew to 100 million tweet posted per quarter in 2008. Johnson (2009) in February 2010, Twitter users were sending 50 million tweets per day. By March 2010, the company recorded 750 tweets sent each second.
However, Johnson (2009) described the basic mechanics of twitter as “remarkably simple”. He further added, as a social network, twitter revolves around its users.
A recent study by Evan shows that thirteen percent[13%]of Americans on the web used twitter, making it one of the most popular social networking service in the united states.
In many ways this social network site (twitter) continually provides social network for people at all ages. Twitter as a social network plays a role in communication throughout the world in the sense providing online services to share information with others and connect with them by creating a profile that may include a personal web page and a blog. It has been argued by Rosen (2010) that twitter affects behavior by causing psychological disorder via addiction to the access of the social network. Also twitter affects behavior because the network is open to all.
This study accordingly focuses on the Effect Of Twitter Social Networking Site On The Achievement Of Senior Secondary School Students In History In Nsukka Local Government Area In Community Secondary School Ehandiagu Road, Nsukka, Enugu, Nigeria.
This study is therefore interested in finding out how twitter as a social network is changing performance and Achievement of secondary school students Community Secondary School secondary school, Enugu, Nigeria.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Twitter as a social network is not widely used among many of the student’s in Community Secondary School secondary school, because the social site to them is not teen’s friendly but is rather a matured social networking, but it is not like face book. In fact, Twitter works quite differently from social networks: because instead of indicating a mutual relationship, twitter focuses on only one – way action, that means you want to receive information, in the form of tweets from someone (twitter help center, 2011). The students added that Twitter is more advanced in terms of language structure i.e. the complexity of the use of diction is quite different in twitter in the sense that you cannot abbreviate spellings anyhow as in the mobile phone text spelling; rather you spell out and construct standard grammar.
Face book is the social networking site that is mostly preferred by the students in the sense that face book
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Which is your favorite social networking site on the internet?
2. Why do you choose that social Networking site?
3. What do you use that social networking site for?
4. In what ways have the social networking site affected you?
5. Which groups of students at Community secondary school use twitter social Networking site?
6. Why do these groups of students use Twitter social Networking site?
7. Does using Twitter affects students at Community secondary school?
8. In what ways does using twitter social Networking site affects the students?
1.4 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
This study has eight purposes as follows:-
1. To find out the social Networking sites the students used.
2. To find out the students reasons for the choice of the social Networking sites.
3. To find out what the students use the social Networking sites for.
4. To find out the ways by which the social Networking site affects the students.
5. To find out the groups of students that uses Twitter as a social Networking site.
6. To find out why the groups uses Twitter social Networking site
7. To find out if using Twitter social Networking site affects the students.
8. To find out the ways by which the usage of Twitter social Networking site affects the students.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study is significant to the teachers, parents and students. First of all, this study will help the teachers of the school to know the influence social networking site has on their students, so as to assist them to enlighten and create awareness to the students on the possible effect it has on them. Secondly, it is of significant to parents in the sense that they will know the possible effects these social networking sites usage has on their children, so as to serve as watch-dog to their children on the usage of the social networking site. Thirdly, it will enable the students of the senior level so that they will be aware that, apart from the social benefits of this social networking site, using the sites more than necessary will pose possible dangers to their health.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is limited to the Effect Of Twitter Social Networking Site On The Achievement Of Senior Secondary School Students In History In Nsukka Local Government Area In Community Secondary School Ehandiagu Road, Nsukka, Enugu, Nigeria; and of Twitter the students if focuses on what the students use social networking site for the groups of students that use Twitter social networking site; the ways the students that use Twitter and for what purposes. The target population focuses specifically the senior secondary school of the Community Secondary School Nsukka, Enugu, Nigeria.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PSYCHOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AMELIORATIVE EFFECT OF SELENIUM YEAST ON SOME PHYSIOLOGICAL PARAMETERS IN STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED DIABETIC WISTAR RATS» ABSTRACTOxidative stress and lipid peroxidation are central factors in the metabolic dysfunctions and pathologies associated with diabetes. The result...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 62 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
» Introduction Currently, HIV is one of the most widely spread epidemics in the world. The specificity of the mode of transmission, the well known sever...Continue Reading »
39 pages | 56 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
3. CLASSROOM GOAL STRUCTURE, STUDENT MOTIVATION AND ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS» ABSTRACT This study investigated Classroom goal structure, student motivation and academic achievement among secondary school students. Two hundred an...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 147 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
4. AN INVESTIGATION INTO ACADEMIC INDISCIPLINE AND FAILURE AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN BUSINESS EDUCATION» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study According to Oxford Advanced learners Dictionary (7th editions) failure is lack of success in doing o...Continue Reading »
44 pages | 292 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
5. THE EFFECT OF SINGLE PARENT IN BAYELSA (CASE STUDY 0F ALIEBIRI COMMUNITY LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF BAYELSA STATE)» ABSTRACT The research work on the effect of single parent looks at the attitude towards girl child education as a less important to primary education....Continue Reading »
58 pages | 913 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
6. PARENTING STYLE AND ACCESSIBILITY AS FACTORS MILITATING AGAINST ADOLESCENT ATTITUDE TOWARDS DRINKING» The study investigated parenting styles and accessibility as factors influence adolescents attitude towards drinking. Two Hundred and Forty Three (243...Continue Reading »
49 pages | 168 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
7. EFFECTS OF GRATITUDE AND VISUALIZING BEST POSSIBLE SELF IN ENHANCING SUBJECTIVE WELL-BEING AMONG INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS IN BAKASSI LOCAL GOVERNM...» TABLE OF CONTENT Title Page Title Page i Declaration ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgement v Table of Content vi List of Tables viii Abst...Continue Reading »
49 pages | 125 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
8. DEMOGRAPHIC AND ORGANISATIONAL ANTECEDENTS OF COMMITMENT AMONG SME EMPLOYEES IN IMO STATE NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study examined some demographic (gender, age, length of service, educational qualification and marital status) and organisational (level ...Continue Reading »
101 pages | 47 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
» Introduction Watson and Friend (1969) defined fear of negative evaluation as apprehension about others’ evaluation, distress over their negative...Continue Reading »
77 pages | 51 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY
10. EFFICACY OF COGNITIVE RESTRUCTURING AND BEHAVIOURAL REHEARSAL ON CONDUCT DISORDER IN ADOLESCENTS IN SPECIAL CORRECTIONAL CENTRES IN LAGOS STATE» ABSTRACT The work efficacy of Cognitive Restructuring and Behavioural Rehearsal on Conduct Disorder in Adolescents in Special Correctional Centres in ...Continue Reading »
207 pages | 155 hits | Source: PSYCHOLOGY