Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 58 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the Study
This study is a modest attempt at a lucid explication of the role of local government in Nigeria. Nigerian local government system has witnessed tremendous transformation since the introductions of the 1988 civil service reforms and its application at the local government administration one of the changes introduced to strengthen the local government is the direct payment of their statutory allocations which was increased from 20% to 25% in addition local government auditor was established in each state government to ensure proper utilization of financial resources at the local level to check any misappropriation of public funds.
Also all local government now has common structures which distinguish them for services department. Local government at any level has some stand and roles such as the maintenance of law and order, promotion of economic development, they are left with considerable freedom to act as they see fit for the interest of the local community.
From the point of view governments as agents of development are well place to help the rural areas to develop. These can be done by investing in economic infrastructure such as road, bridge, hospitals, school, electrification, and telecommunication. The other essential duties inherited from the native authority include rural and urban water supplies, markets and libraries. We generally regard the convenience list as including those extra amenities which make for a better life in the community other than those life in community other than those which are concerned with fighting discuss, e.g bus and lorry parks. The regulation of hand carts on the street community and reaction centers parks and open spaces gazing area and fuel plantations the manning of street and the numbering of buildings these are recognized as automatically the responsibility of the local government.
They also help in the services of park control and supply of water, electricity and gas the provision of road and water transport and any other trading undertaking that the state government specifically authorizes.
The local government also take for a specifically health orientation and supplying of drugs a midwifery services to arrange for health visiting and home nursing to provide facilities for vaccination and immunization.
1.2 Statement of the Research Problem
Local government is expected to become meaningful in facilitating economic development at the grassroots level. Central to the achievement of these objectives is the financial viability of this tier of government. This point has been subtly underscored by “Dasuk Panel” on local government administration when it observed inter alia that a good number of local government roles could not be performed at all due to a variety of reasons such as inadequate finance. This study therefore seeks to assess local government internal revenue generation and political development in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State within the timeframe of 2015-2017 with the aim of proffering viable solutions.
1.3 Research Questions
The study seeks to answer the following questions:
i. What are the sources of local government revenue generation in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State?
ii. What are factors militating against the effectiveness of revenue generation in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State?
iii. What is the relationship between local government revenue generation and political development in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State?
iv. What are the solutions to the problem of revenue generation and political development in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State?
1.4 Objectives of the Study
The study has the following as its objectives:
i. To identify the sources of local government revenue generation in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State;
ii. To examine factors militating against the effectiveness of revenue generation in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State;
iii. To find out the relationship between local government revenue generation and political development in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State;
iv. To find out solutions to the problem of revenue generation and political development in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State.
1.5 Propositions of the Study
The propositions of the study are as follows:
i. Taxation is the major source of local government revenue generation in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State;
ii. Corruption is the major factor militating against the effectiveness of revenue generation in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State;
iii. There is no relationship between local government revenue generation and political development in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State;
iv. Fight against corruption is the major solution to the problem of revenue generation and political development in Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State.
1.6 Significance of the Study
The need and importance of the research is obvious. At a time when local government has come to assume an overwhelming influence on the process of political and economic development in Kaduna State and Nigeria at large.
It becomes more relevant to examine much more closely the character and dynamics of this third tier of government and to clarify the major construction that have landed to impede its capacity to promote at local level.
Scientific studies of this kind therefore become necessary especially at this time when the past and present civilian administrations are particularly concern about rural development.
The study will generally add to the growing number of literature on local government affairs more particularly on the role of local government administration in economic development of rural areas in Nigeria and programmatic solutions offered towards making them more efficient and responsive to the needs of rural Nigerians, and also a framework of policy making and research to policy makers and researchers alike.
1.7 Scope and Limitation of the Study
This research area and dimension of Kajuru Local Government coverage is based on internal revenue generation and political development within the the timeframe of 2015-2017. It covers the roles of local government administration especially revenue generation and its impact on political development in economic development of rural areas in Nigeria and to staff, teachers, businessmen and farmers in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The researcher is also affected by the usual constraints and problem prominent in similar research in Nigeria. These constraints include difficulty in assessing proper documented record on revenue generation in Kaduna State especially in Kajuru Local Government Area. The researcher also faced the challenge of inadequate information to the study. However none of these constraints undermined the significance of the study.
1.8 Research Methodology
The research design employed includes both quantitative and qualitative methods. Quantitatively, the research makes use of questionnaire and personal observation to generate data from the field of survey. According to Gault (1907), questionnaire is a research instrument consisting of a series of questions (or other types of prompts) for the purpose of gathering information from respondents. Qualitatively, data were sourced from textbooks, newspapers, journals and online media that are related to the study.
1.8.1 Population and Sample Size
Based on the 2006 census, the population of Kajuru Local Government Area is 138,956. Therefore the sample size for the study is 400. This was determined using Yamane’s (1967) formula for determine sample size as follows:
n = N
1 + N (e)2
Where: n= Sample Size N+ Population Size e: Sampling error or degree of precision.
n= ____138,956_ ___
1 + 138,956 x (0.05)2
= 138,956 _______
1 + 138,956 x (0.0025)
= ___ 138,956____
1 + 347.39
= ___ 138,956______
Thereof the approximate sample size of Kajuru Local Government Area is 399.
1.8.2 Sample Technique
The study adopts simple random sampling technique. This form of probability sampling technique is a subset of statistical population in which each member of the subset has an equal chance or probability of being chosen. The principle of simple random sampling technique is that every object had same probability of being chosen.
1.8.3 Method of Data Analysis
The collected primary data was subjected to descriptive data analysis. Data collected through the questionnaire will be itemize and coded then transferred to a code sheet, which is a means by which written information is transcribed into a computer language. This enabled the usage of Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) to analyze the data collected. The data analyzed was presented in a contingency frequency and percentages tables to determine high or low response and make comparism across variables.
1.9 Definition of Major
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR POLITICAL SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE IMPACT OF CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANIZATION ON NIGERIA’S SOCIO-POLITICAL DEVELOPMENT: AN APPRAISAL OF CIVIL LIBERTIES ORGANIZATION» Abstract The civil society and civil society organizations, have sacrificed their existence, goals and objectives to the course of the fight towards s...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study While the international order among states is quite strong, the world is not peaceful. In the wak...Continue Reading »
3. SYSTEM RELATIONS APPROACH TO INTER-GOVERNMENTAL RELATION (IGR)” AS PROPOUNDED BY CHIN (1969), AND CITED IN OLUGBEMI (1980)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION A thorough investigation into the economics of other developed countries like United States, Canada and Germany seem to point...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study In Nigeria, there are three tiers of public sector administration – the Central (Federal) g...Continue Reading »
5. THE IRONY OF NIGERIA’S FIGHT AGAINST CORRUPTION: AN APPRAISAL OF PRESIDENT MOHAMADU BUHARI’S FIRST EIGHT MONTHS IN OFFICE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Nigeria is blessed with abundant material and human resources, Nigeria should have been a safe ha...Continue Reading »
6. THE RELEVANCE OF POPULATION CENSUS TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF RURAL AREAS IN NIGHERIA. (A CASE STUDY OF ORUMBA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN ANAMBRA ...» abstract the project is on the relevance of population census to economic development of rural areas in nigeria (a case study of orumba north local go...Continue Reading »
7. CARD READERS ON ELECTION CREDIBILITY: ISSUES AND PROSPECTS (A CASE STUDY OF 2015 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The use of card readers at the 2015 general election in Nigeria has infused some level of transpa...Continue Reading »
8. PROPAGANDA IN POLITICS THE USE OF LANGUAGE FOR EFFECT IN ELECTIONEERING CAMPAIGN ( A case study of 2015 General election)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Propaganda is one unique device of politics. This is mostly observed in any electioneering campaign. Longe and Ofuanu (1996:1...Continue Reading »
9. EFFECT OF ETHNO-RELIGIOUS CONFLICT ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS IN KADUNA STATE (A STUDY OF ZANGON KATAF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA ST...» ABSTRACT The series of ethnic and religious conflict in Kaduna State necessitated the research topic “Effect of ethno religious conflict on the ...Continue Reading »
10. POLITICAL PARTIES AND DEMOCRTIC DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF 2007 - 2015 ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA)» POLITICAL PARTIES AND DEMOCRTIC DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF 2007 2015 ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA)1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDYThe conc...Continue Reading »