Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background to the Study
The most important change that has taken place in the sport industry is the significant role the media is playing in the development of sports all over the world. Apart from the fact that the media has increased sports awareness and spectatorship among peoples of the world, it has also increased revenue generation which has enriched the various sports stakeholders. The media has been playing a catalyst role for the identification and the promotion of knowledge, information and understanding in a nation (Alimi, 2003). The mass media is regarded as the means of communication through which a large number of people could be reached. These include, newspapers, television, radio, films, handbills, posters, computer and internet (Hornby 1985).
The mass media [sharpens and re-orders] the perceptions of the readers and viewers in a particular event or happenings in the society and contributes to a reservoir of knowledge of the past and current events. Acosta (2002) pointed out that competitive sports would only survive and develop with the cooperation of the media. It is for this reason that sports must enjoy good relationship with the press, radio, and television. The relationship should be effective, continuous, personal and open.
Nigeria was created on May 27, 1967 when the restructuring of Nigeria into twelve states took place. Many media organizations have sprung up in Nigeria and because of the economic status of Nigeria and its status
as the former capital of Nigeria. The presence of many media organizations in Nigeria has confirmed her being acclaimed to be the seat of journalism in Nigeria. In essence then, it is the state where sports journalism thrives.
There is no doubt that Nigeria has witnessed tremendous development in the area of sports most especially when compared to other countries in Africa. Sports have permeated the Nigerian society through the efforts, activities and commitments of Nigerian sports journalists.
This study, therefore, was set to determine the perceived impact of print media as indices for sports development in Nigeria.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The following are the problems that lead to the study of this project;
1. What impact do the print media have on development of sport in Nigeria?
2. What is the evolution of sport journalism in Nigeria and how can it be traced to the Sun Newspaper?
3. What are the relationship between the mass media and sport organization in the country?
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this project work is to examine the role of the Nigeria print media in the development of sport in the country.
The study will examine the problems faced by the print media in the country and will also look into the relationship of print media and the sport agencies in the country.
1.4 Research Questions
The study attempted to provide answers to the following questions:
1. To what extent do sport journalism create awareness for sport to the general public?
2. To what extent will the awareness of sport promote the development of sport in Nigeria?
3. To what extent do activities of sport journalist contribute to the development of sport in the country?
4. Of what role do the print media plays in the development of sport in Nigeria?
5. To what extent do people respond to sport section in Nigeria Newspaper?
1.5 Scope of the Study
The scope of this study covers, evolution of news reporting in the Nigeria using The Sun newspaper as a basis for the research.
However, the finding of the project work can be well applicable to all Newspaper and sport industry.
1.6 Significant of the Study
The importance of this study was to determine the perceived impact of Print media in sports development in Nigeria, using The Sun Newspaper as a Case Study.
It will enable the sport stakeholders to be well aware of the role that newspaper can play in develop
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTHER ONE Introduction What are the effects of foreign produced entertainment programs on the knowledge, beliefs, attitudes, behaviors, values and ...Continue Reading »
43 pages | 167 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
2. SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES AND SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR AMONG STUDENTS OF SELECTED TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN KOGI STATE» Abstract Today in Nigeria, Social Networking Sites like Facebook, 2go and WhatsApp are getting more popular among students of Tertiary Institutions ir...Continue Reading »
121 pages | 89 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
3. AN EVALUATION OF LISTENERS RATING OF AKBC RADIO PROGRAMME STUDENT’S PARLIAMENT (A STUDY OF UNIVERSITY OF UYO)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Programmes are the product of broadcast stations. It is what they offer to the public or the peop...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 273 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» ABSTRACT The deregulation of the broadcast media in 1992 democratised the media space and led to the establishment of the National Broadcasting Commis...Continue Reading »
153 pages | 119 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» ABSTRACT In the theatre, play adaptation specifically addresses the situation where an author uses an existing work of another author to create a new ...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 207 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
6. RADIO LISTENERSHIP PATTERN AMONG MARKET WOMEN (A Case Study of Gbaji Market Women, Ibadan and Obada Women Market, Iree)» ABSTRACT This project has been written to help the reader or students especially students of mass communication to have a better understanding on the ...Continue Reading »
38 pages | 303 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The Mass Media made up of print and electronic play a huge role as veritable instruments of commu...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 90 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
8. AUDIENCE PERCEPTION OF FEMALE MODELS IN ADVERTISING MESSAGE (A STUDY OF “ALWAYS ULTRA”COMMERCIALS) IN ENUGU METROPOLIS» Abstract This research work is aimed at analyzing Audience perception of female models in advertising message (a study of always ultra commercials). T...Continue Reading »
63 pages | 351 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
9. ROLE OF COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY IN IMPROVING WORK EFFICIENCY OF AIT STAFF (A STUDY OF AIT ABUJA)» CHAPTER ONE Introduction 1.1 Background of the Study Newsroom yesterday and today are far flung different. What it is yesterday was of Traditional met...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 533 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
10. THE ROLE OF ANTI-GRAFT AGENCIES IN ANTI- CORRUPTION CAMPAIGNS IN NIGERIA: (A CASE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY 2 Before this country could be free from corruption, its deem fit to invite certain bodies like E...Continue Reading »
26 pages | 643 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION