The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References Level : BTech/BSc/BA/HND/ND.
Get the complete project »
1.1 Background to the Study
The most important change that has taken place in the sport industry is the significant role the media is playing in the development of sports all over the world. Apart from the fact that the media has increased sports awareness and spectatorship among peoples of the world, it has also increased revenue generation which has enriched the various sports stakeholders. The media has been playing a catalyst role for the identification and the promotion of knowledge, information and understanding in a nation (Alimi, 2003). The mass media is regarded as the means of communication through which a large number of people could be reached. These include, newspapers, television, radio, films, handbills, posters, computer and internet (Hornby 1985).
The mass media [sharpens and re-orders] the perceptions of the readers and viewers in a particular event or happenings in the society and contributes to a reservoir of knowledge of the past and current events. Acosta (2002) pointed out that competitive sports would only survive and develop with the cooperation of the media. It is for this reason that sports must enjoy good relationship with the press, radio, and television. The relationship should be effective, continuous, personal and open.
Nigeria was created on May 27, 1967 when the restructuring of Nigeria into twelve states took place. Many media organizations have sprung up in Nigeria and because of the economic status of Nigeria and its status
as the former capital of Nigeria. The presence of many media organizations in Nigeria has confirmed her being acclaimed to be the seat of journalism in Nigeria. In essence then, it is the state where sports journalism thrives.
There is no doubt that Nigeria has witnessed tremendous development in the area of sports most especially when compared to other countries in Africa. Sports have permeated the Nigerian society through the efforts, activities and commitments of Nigerian sports journalists.
This study, therefore, was set to determine the perceived impact of print media as indices for sports development in Nigeria.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The following are the problems that lead to the study of this project;
1. What impact do the print media have on development of sport in Nigeria?
2. What is the evolution of sport journalism in Nigeria and how can it be traced to the Sun Newspaper?
3. What are the relationship between the mass media and sport organization in the country?
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this project work is to examine the role of the Nigeria print media in the development of sport in the country.
The study will examine the problems faced by the print media in the country and will also look into the relationship of print media and the sport agencies in the country.
1.4 Research Questions
The study attempted to provide answers to the following questions:
1. To what extent do sport journalism create awareness for sport to the general public?
2. To what extent will the awareness of sport promote the development of sport in Nigeria?
3. To what extent do activities of sport journalist contribute to the development of sport in the country?
4. Of what role do the print media plays in the development of sport in Nigeria?
5. To what extent do people respond to sport section in Nigeria Newspaper?
1.5 Scope of the Study
The scope of this study covers, evolution of news reporting in the Nigeria using The Sun newspaper as a basis for the research.
However, the finding of the project work can be well applicable to all Newspaper and sport industry.
1.6 Significant of the Study
The importance of this study was to determine the perceived impact of Print media in sports development in Nigeria, using The Sun Newspaper as a Case Study.
It will enable the sport stakeholders to be well aware of the role that newspaper can play in develop
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE ROLE OF THE MASS MEDIA IN PROMOTING ANTI-CORRUPTION CAMPAIGNS: A CONTENT ANALYSIS OF THISDAY AND DAILY TRUST COVERAGE OF EFCC AND ICPC RELATED ISS...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Mass media provide information for people at large so that there is acceptance of an idea to crea...Continue Reading »
86 pages | 92 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» THESIS STATEMENT Stage play production management is an area in theatre that most people shy away from due to a perceived lack of funds.[EA1] In view ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 129 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» ABSTRACT This study probes the impact which Violence TV Programme has on the cultural and behaviour of the Nigeria youths. It specifically tackles the...Continue Reading »
70 pages | 160 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study People are exposed to a tremendous amount of commercial or non commercial information every day. ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 172 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Communication has been regarded as the life hood of human existence. Human being communicate on a...Continue Reading »
67 pages | 125 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
6. INFLUENCE OF SECOND CHANCE (A FOREIGN TELEVISION PROGRAMME ON THE SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR OF NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY STUDENTS (AWKA)» HAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the studyTechnological advancement in communication technologies has continued to eulogize television as a pow...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 110 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUTION 1.0 Background of the study The most basic and most valuable possession of man is language. Language is important in t...Continue Reading »
49 pages | 43 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
8. AUDIENCE PERCEPTION OF FEMALE MODELS IN ADVERTISING MESSAGE (A STUDY OF “ALWAYS ULTRA”COMMERCIALS) IN ENUGU METROPOLIS» Abstract This research work is aimed at analyzing Audience perception of female models in advertising message (a study of always ultra commercials). T...Continue Reading »
63 pages | 311 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Although social networks, corporate websites, chat rooms, email customer response facilities and ...Continue Reading »
64 pages | 181 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» ABSTRACT The aims and objective of this research project is to analyse the extent of rapid development towards journalism education in Nigeria univers...Continue Reading »
78 pages | 206 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION