Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The proximate composition and analysis of cucumber and spinach leaves was to assess the nutritional value of cucumber and spinach leaves by analysis the amino acid profile and mineral constituents. The results showed that cucumber have the moisture content of 96% and spinach 95%, fat content 2.4% on cucumber while spinach leaves 4.6%, crude fiber content on cucumber 44% and spinach 41.5%, Ash content of cucumber 99% and spinach leaves 138.9 respectively. Base on these finding, cucumbers and spinach are good source of vitamins and minerals needed for building of the body.
1.1 Background of the Study
Spinach is vegetable fruit which can be produce fresh. Many fruits that are in a botanical sense are true fruits that are actually treated as vegetables, these culinary vegetables include cucurbits, e.g (Squash, cucumber and spinach). The spinach is thought to have originated in India -where it is found wild and is cultivated in many diverse forms. Accessions of cucumis satinus L. Var hardwickl is related to the original ancestors of the spinach Maynard et al., (2000). Secondary centers of diversity for the spinach exist in China and near east. Species are cucumis hystrix from China and the African. Cucumis hystrix from china and the African cucumis, such as cucumber (Spinach and Wild relative (Douglas et al., 2010).
Spinach and cucumber were probably domesticated in Asia and then introduces in the 1700s. Cucumbers were brought to America by Christopher Columbus. The spinach is grown for its fruit which are eaten fresh or picked in most countries but which are also eaten fried. Bater et al (1990) slicing and picking of spinach and cucumber fruits are mostly water but they provide some vitamin A and C, especially when picked with dill and other species. Spinach and cucumber are the ideal food for people having trouble with body weight because it is mostly water and some fibers and few calories cucumber cause barging and mild stomach upset in people when eaten raw but not when soaked in vinegar or pickled before eating.
Spinach (Spinacia Oleracea) is an edible following plant in the family of Amaranthaceae. It is native to central and south western Asia. It is an annual plant (rarely biennia), which grows to a height of up to 30cm. Spinach may leaves are alternate, simple, ovate to triangular-based, very variable in size from about 2 – 30cm long and 1.15cm broad, with large leaves at the base of the plant and small leaves higher on the flowering stem. The flowers are inconspicuous. Yellow green, 3 – 4mm diameter maturing into a small, hard, dry, lumpy fruit eluster 5 – 10mm across containing several seeds )Common spinach, spinacia oleracea, was long considered to be in the chinopodiaceae family, but in 2003 the chinopodiaceae family was combined with the Amarantuaceae family under the family name ‘Amarantuaceae’ in the order caryophyllaes.
Within the Amaratuaceae family there are now a subfamily Amaratuoldeae and a subfamily chenopodioideae, for the amaratus and the chenopods, respectively (Rosemary et al, 1995).
1.2 Aim of Study
To identify the ash, moisture content of cucumber and spinach.
To identified the protein, carbohydrate, fat content , ash content and crude of fiber content of cucumber and spinach.
1.3 Statement of Problem
Spinach fruit contain micro-organisms, some of which are pathogenic and other are non-pathogenic spoilt spinach fruits produces serious threat to the safety of the consumers and reduce quality as well as the acceptability of the product in food salad.
1.4 Significance of Study
The importance of this project work is to analysis the composition of spinach and cucumber which enable the society on how to improve the cultivation of spinach and cucumber as well as the consumption.
1.5 Limitation of the Study
This project work is limited to the proximate composition and analysis of cucumber and spinach. It was limited to this two vegetable because of financial constrain.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND INFORMATION Nutrition is the sum total of the processes involved in the intake and utilization of food substan...Continue Reading »
2. SYNTHESIS AND CHARACTERISTICS OF NAME PROPERTIES FROM PERIWINKLE SHELL FOR BLEACHING OF PALM KERNEL OIL» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Palm kernel oil (PKO) is black viscous oil extracted from the kernel of oil palm. In its raw form...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTS Foodborne diseases remain a major cause of morbidity and mortality in the general population, particularly in vulnerable groups. These disea...Continue Reading »
4. THE EFFECT OF FERMENTATION ON NUTRITIONAL QUALITIES OF FORMULATED CEREAL/LEGUME FORTIFIED WEANING FOODS» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The first year of life is crucial in laying the foundation of good health and improving the quality of life of children. ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The aim of this study is to assess nutrition in infancy, a case study of kawo general hospital, Kaduna. The specific objective of the study w...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Water – yam flour was enriched with ingredients such as onions, crayfish, pepper, salt and Maggi seasoning which will in turn be mixed with...Continue Reading »
7. EFFECTS OF OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT ON JOB PERFORMANCE AMONG EMPLOYEES IN THE HOTELS CHAPTER ONE» INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study Safety naturally has to do with the provision of safe and accident free working environment for employees. A ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is an extremely versatile and delicious vegetable that possesses high nutritional value (M...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This project work was designed to examine and analyze the factors affecting the processing production and storage of garri in Oredo Local Gov...Continue Reading »
10. EFFECT OF OKARA AND Detarium microcarpum INCORPORATION ON THE QUALITY OF ‘TALIA’ PRODUCED FROM WHEAT AND SORGHUM FLOUR BLENDS» ABSTRACT The effect of Okara and Detarium microcarpum seed flours on the quality of talia noddles produced from wheat and sorghum flour composites was...Continue Reading »