Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 50 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The purpose of this study was to find out the causes and effect of poor reading habit among secondary school students in some selected secondary schools in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State. The research accepts that reading is very essential in all round development of the learners, as it is made up of techniques and processes that can be used for developing the various methods that involve vocabulary development. In carrying out this study, questionnaires were administered to 100 students of five selected secondary schools in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State. The data collected from students were analyzed and interpreted. The means for each item was computed and used in testing the research questions formulated. The analyzed results showed that certain factors affect the effective reading among students in secondary school in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State.
TABLE OF CONTENT
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
Background of the study
Statement of problem
Purpose of the study
Significance of the study
Definition of terms
Review of related literature
Population of the study
Sample and sampling technique
Method of data collection
Method of data analysis
Analysis of data and discussion of results
Summary, conclusion and recommendations
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Reading is a very important activity in the life of an educated man. It is very essential to the success of academic performance in any subject and serves as an open up of the mind of the readers to an unlimited world of knowledge which particularly keep abreast of the times and events in the modern world. According to Wilson (1974) Reading is the ability to interpret printed materials from a page. It is a decoding process by which printed words are translated and process of gaining meaning from the material and applying it in daily life. Brook G.L. (1989) sees reading as the mental process involving the interpretation of signs perceived through sense organs.
Reading is seen as a receptive skill and the popular impression held by many readers. Reading comprehension is the ability to pronounce words that is written. The students believed that they can read once they can translate writing into speech sounds. The fact however is that it is impossible to pronounce all the words in a passage very well and still unable to understand it. Reading is far more than the ability to pronounce the word on a page. The primary reason why we read is to obtain information as well as comprehend or understand a test, some students have poor foundation of reading. The primary school which further lead to some difficulties in their reading habit or performance in secondary school, it is observed that most students read without being focused on what they are reading which is known as extensive reading.
The cause of students’ poor reading habit can emerge from their lips movement as they read which later brings about sufficient `reading while eating. Thinking something else, distracted thought and above all reading and forgetting what has been read is caused by poor memory or inability to recall past learning.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
From early time to the present, Nigeria has attached much importance to reading, starting from primary schools through the tertiary level. It is important to know that exist many complex problems that may result to the problem of poor reading habit and its consequences on the academic performance of a child in the school system. This made the researcher to dive into possible effects encountered by secondary school students in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State. It is of great interest to note that most secondary schools especially in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State is faced with the problem of poor reading habit and this problem has taken deep roots on the part of the students, either as a result of lack of qualified teachers, ill-health of students, bad method of teaching, outdated textbooks, family background and psychological factors and teachers’ poor attitude towards reading and teaching students the proper reading skills.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to investigate into the causes and effects of poor reading among secondary school students.
a) To examine these causes and effects of poor reading in the general performance of students.
b) To recommend practical solution to the problems militating against good reading habit among students.
In carrying out the research the following questions were asked;
1. Does poor reading habit have any relationship with academic performance of the student?
2. What are the causes of poor reading habit?
3. Are there enough instructional materials for teaching reading skills?
4. Can the causes and effects of poor reading habit be an impediment to the secondary school students?
5. Does poor method of teaching generally affect the reading habit of students due to unqualified teachers?
6. Does distraction such television programme affects school students?
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The significance of this research is to look into causes and effects of poor reading habit among secondary school students. It is hoped that the research will achieve the following;
i) It will be immense benefits to the students since it will make them know their areas of weakness and remedies. It is therefore aimed at making students develop good understanding so as to perform excellently in their examination.
ii) With the awareness of the cause of poor reading habit in students in secondary schools principals and curriculum planners can update their knowledge reading. The essence is to improve reading habit among students.
iii) It will also serve as an eye open to parents and teachers in regard to their children in schools.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Motivation: This is the total act of stimulating interest of personal individual to work harder.
Ambition: This refers to the interest/willingness in ones’ attitude to do something.
Decoding: This is the act of translating information from a code to an understanding language/symbol.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE EFFECT OF STUDENT INDUSTRIAL WORK EXPERIENCE SCHEME (SIWES) TO TECHNICAL AND VOCATIONAL STUDENT INDUSTRIAL SKILLS (A CASE STUDY OF KANO STATE TER...» ABSTRACT The study was motivated to ascertain the effectiveness of Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) to Technical and Vocational stude...Continue Reading »
2. EFFECTS OF RATIONAL EMOTIVE BEHAVIOURAL THERAPY ON THE LEVEL OF GENERAL AND EXAMINATION ANXIETIES» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study When a student fails examination, who is to be blamed for the failure or what factor is the stude...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY In schools, bullying occurs in all areas. It can occur in nearly any part in or around the schoo...Continue Reading »
4. SOCIAL FACTORS AFFECTING CLASSROOM INTERACTION AND LEARNING IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN IDEMILI SOUTH LGA OF ANAMBRA STATE» ABSTRACT This study was aimed at analyzing the psycho social factors of Classroom Interaction as a predictor to academic performance in upper basic sc...Continue Reading »
5. THE INFLUENCE OF ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS ON CHOICE OF CAREER AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN LAGOS STATE» Abstract The research provides a conceptual and theoretical appraisal of the impact of environmental factor on choice of career among youths in nigeri...Continue Reading »
6. INFLUENCE OF TEACHER’S QUALIFICATION ON STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IN ACID-BASE TITRATIONS IN IKOT EKPENE LOCAL GOV...» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page Cover Declaration Certification Dedication Acknowledgement Table of Contents List of Tables List of Figures List of Appen...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Teaching profession is one of many professions that specifically deals with the growth and development of the human mind. The type of informa...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This research discusses the impact of Christian religious studies on the morals of secondary school students in selected secondary schools in...Continue Reading »
9. THE EFFECTS OF REWARD AND PUNISHMENT ON STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN EKET LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF AKWA IBOM STATE» ABSTRACT The aim of this study was to determine the effects of rewards and punishment on students academic performance in secondary schools in Eket Lo...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The psychology of individual differences originated in attempts to predict scholastic performance...Continue Reading »