Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 43 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Students performance in secondary schools over the years, have not been very encouraging. This has been giving the government and parents a lot of causes for concern. Some analysts have likened the cause for concern of this problem to the incessant strike action embarked upon by teachers as a result of irregular payment of salaries. Others attribute it to lack of seriousness on the part of the students. These facts may not be far from the truth. The analysis however, cannot be said to be thorough without researching on student’s family background which goes a long way to affect their performance in school. This is what the study intends to make a research on. To spread the scope and concept of family and extended family system and its impacts on secondary school students performance in school. in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State the effects of extended family system on students performance has been prevalent, the performance of students from extended family has not been too impressive and since the system is practiced in Nigeria and Africa in general students cannot do without socializing with other family members.
According to Humbling and Matters (1976), “Hunanbings are basically social creatures created by society primarily through family’s influence” society creates the individual; the individual does not create the society. Therefore, in the local government man is allowed two or more wives and this is known as polygamy. Polygamy has constituted academic problems to students. Finally, extended family system has some positive impacts on students since it is the commonest family unit in the society. Members who are financially buoyant assist students who are related to them thereby enabling them to meet some of their needs in school. Against, this background, extended family system is one of the numerous traditional practices which western civilization has not been able to erase in the local government and it may be with us for a long time even in the presence of western threat.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
In this research attempt will be made to look at the problems students face in some secondary schools in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State as a result of extended family system. The study will also include some suggestions which can help to improve on their performance in school.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The aim of this study is to analyze the problems associated with extended family system in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State. And to highlight some factors that gave rise to the system. The study also aims at giving recognition to families as the center of the society and how the family also influences student’s performances in school.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The poor performances of students in school are as a result of extended family system. Therefore is important to study these problems so that the researcher will be in a better position to give appropriate advice to people concerned.
This study will be of importance to social studies teachers as they would in the position to act as counsellors to the students. This work will make parents to be aware of various factors responsible for student’s poor performance in school. Nevertheless, parents have always blamed poor student’s academic attainment on laxity and lack of interest on the part of the teacher.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
In this study, I have limited myself to some secondary schools in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State. This is due to time factor, financial constraints and transportation problems.
The following hypotheses are to be tested in this research.
1. Extended family system has a significant impact on student’s performance in secondary schools.
2. Students who put their family problems behind them in their school work performance better academically
3. The low performance of students in secondary schools is associated with extended family system.
4. When students are emotionally unstable, it affects their performance in school?
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Bilinea: Relationship through mother and father
Matrilineal: relationship through the mother
Patrilineal: relationship through the father
Polygamy: Custom of have more than one wife at the same time.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE EFFECT OF STUDY AND TIME MANAGEMENT SKILLS OF UGIV HAUSA EDUCATION STUDENTS OF USMANU DANFODIYO UNIVERSITY SOKOTO» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study Hausa is the largest and dominate language in northern Nigeria. Education is the process of teach...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 381 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT This study entitled "The Effect of working Mothers on the Educational Development their Children" was designed to be descriptive survey metho...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 384 hits | Source: EDUCATION
3. THE LEVEL OF THE KNOWLEDGE AND SOURCE OF INFORMATION ON SEXUAL TRANSMITTED INFECTION (STIS ) AMONG JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL» ABSTRACT This study was designed to investigate the level of knowledge and source information of sexual transmitted infection among secondary school s...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 479 hits | Source: EDUCATION
4. STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING LOW ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN CROSS RIVER STATE» The article on this topic (strategies for improving low academic performance in English language in secondary schools in cross river state) is an extr...Continue Reading »
82 pages | 297 hits | Source: EDUCATION
5. IMPACT OF MOTIVATION ON PRODUCTIVITY OF TEACHERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN MAINLAND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, LAGOS STATE» ABSTRACT The pace at which teachers are motivated for greater service is deteriorating in Nigeria is alarming. The fall in performance and productivit...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 228 hits | Source: EDUCATION
6. AN EVALUATIVE STUDY OF TEACHING AND LEARNING OF ENGLISH GRAMMATICAL STRUCTURES IN SOME SELECTED PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA ...» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 Introduction The teaching and learning of English Language is very important in our society today. This is because of the various role...Continue Reading »
77 pages | 360 hits | Source: EDUCATION
7. COMPETENCY IMPROVEMENT NEEDS OF TECHNOLOGY TEACHERS TO ENHANCE THE IMPROVEMENT NEEDS OF TECHNOLOGY TEACHERS TO ENHANCE THE IMPLEMENTATION OF BASIC TEC...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1Background of the Study A good educational system is a strong base for technology development it equips people with knowle...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 233 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The purpose of education is to equip the individuals to reshape their society and eliminate inequ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 1,056 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The cry for new social order is very loud and persistent today in the global village with the advent of information technolog...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 486 hits | Source: EDUCATION
10. IMPACT OF INTERNET ON STUDENT FINAL YEAR RESEARCH (A CASE STUDY OF UNDERGRADUATES IN UNIVERSITY OF UYO)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The Internet is a global network of computers linked together over large distances (Daramola, 200...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 419 hits | Source: EDUCATION