Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 53 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This study investigated the relationship between study habits and students’ performance in senior secondary school examinations in Surulere L.G.A. of Lagos State. The research design was descriptive survey and simple random sampling technique was used to select the sampled schools. The researcher used the standardized questionnaire of study habits inventory which was the main instrument for the study. That is, all the hypotheses formulated for the study were accepted. It was recommended that qualified and experienced teachers should be employed to facilitate a meaningful learning by the students in English, Mathematics, Biology and Economics. Government should provide adequate teaching aids for the usefulness of the teachers for the performance of the students in English, Mathematics, Biology and Economics.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
In the field of education & psychology, learning has been discovered all over the world to be a highly complex problem. Several researchers have tried to explain it differently and the description of each is partially true. Over the years, researches on factors that influence academic performance of adult learners have attracted the interest of not only researchers but concern of teachers, counselors, psychologists, and school administrators as well. Study method is the knowledge and application of effective study skills or techniques by adult learners. The term reading habit refers to the way in which adult learners’ study either systematically, efficiently or inefficiently. In line with what has been said above, we can deduce that good reading habit will definitely yield positive academic performances and achievement and also inefficient or poor reading habit leads to academic failure. Adult learners’ attitude and reading habit towards any subject has been described as a function of passion coupled with their belief on that particular which has a long way to go on their academic performances.
In Nigeria, many factors have been highlighted to influence the ability of adult learners to cultivate effective and efficient reading habit. Such factors include; state of health, motivation, anxiety and state of mind, conducive and suitable environment for studying, availability of textbooks and well equipped libraries. In a research carried out by (Nuthana & Yenagi,2009) the causes of poor academic performance among Nigeria adult learners were thoroughly examined. In which some of these factors identified include; low adult learner’s intellectual ability, achievement motivation, lack of goals, low self-esteem, low socio-economic status of the family, poverty and poor reading habit as a major factor.
A survey was carried out in some selected schools in Nigeria to identify some major causes of low academic performances in adult learners. Some of the problems identified include inadequate teachers, problem of inadequate facilities in the school, problems caused by poor parental background, unfavorable government policies and low educational sector funding (Ajilaand Olutola 2007). Likewise, Ichado (1998)also dispute environment from which the adult learner comes from play a major role in influencing reading habits which invariably affect academic performance. The concept of reading habit is broad as it combines nearly all other sub-topics under it such as study attitude, study method, and study skill. In a research conducted by Allport (1960), it was argued that attitude toward study by drafting a good study pattern can greatly contribute to adult learners’ academic performance.Successful learners all over the world are said to have adopted positive attitude towardsstudy and are time conscious over whatthey have to do.
According to Hussain(2000) reading habit refers to predispositions whichadult learners have developed towards private readingsthrough a period of time. According to him, studyhabitis a gateway to successfulachievement in studies.
A research was carried out byMorahan (1999), he foundout that male and female have different ways of studying (reading habit). In this study, he discovered that the male adult learner took up courses that have more of logic and scienceswhile female adult learner were attracted to simplercourses and such it is in line with their passion which require different reading habit and might have a positive effect on academic performance of adult learners. Positive academic performance and achievement depends upon the adult learner’s ability to schedulehis time, the plan of his study, the habit of concentration, note –taking, mental review,over learning, the judicious application of whole and part method massed and distributed learning and so on. In other words, positive academic performance is a function ofproper reading habits and skills. Since reading habits arean important factor in learning, it becomes necessary to investigate into its nature.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problems associated with reading habits might have a major effect on a adult learner’s academic performances, it is believed that everyone has a different reading habit and it is important to find out the best personal way to study. Studying with friends has a long way to go in adult learner’s reading habits, it has a positive influence in which they discuss what have been read together but also has a negative effect in which they might not read but discuss throughout the stipulated time for reading which boils down to time wastage.
A very good and conducive environment encourages adult learners reading habit and might have positive impact of their academic achievements but adult learners reading in an unfavorable environment might find it difficult to study which might affect their academic achievements. Adult learners with financial constraints might also find it difficult to perform excellently well in their academics
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study:
1. To examine the correlation between reading habit and academic performance
2. To examine the effect of study environment on reading habit
3. To determine factors affecting adult learners’ reading habit and academic performance
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the correlation between reading habit and academic performance?
2. What is the effect of study environment on reading habit?
3. What are the factors affecting adult learners’ reading habit and academic performance?
HO: There is no significant relationship between reading habit and academic performance.
HA: There is significant relationship between reading habits and academic performance.
HO: There is no significant relationship between study environment and adult learners’ academic performance.
HA: There is significant relationship between study environment and adult learners’ academic performance.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are the significance of this study:
1. The outcome of this study will help adult learners in understanding the effect on reading habit and study environment on their academic performance and helps in serving as a guide for a positive result.
2. This research will also serve as a resource base to other scholars and researchers interested in carrying out further research in this field subsequently, if applied will go to an extent to provide new explanation to the topic.
1.7 SCOPE/LIMITATIONS OF STUDY
This study on the impact of reading habit on academic performance of adult learners will cover various approaches to study and its effect on the academic performance of adult learners.
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Study: application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation or reflection
Habit: an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary.
Performance: the accomplishment of a given task measured against preset known standards of accuracy, completeness, cost and speed
Adult learners: a person formally engaged in learning, especially one enrolled in a school or college
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. SKILLS IMPROVEMENT NEEDS OF MOBILE, ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE WORK TEACHERS IN TECHNICAL COLLEGE IN KATSINA ZONE» CHAPTER I INTRODUCTION Background of the study Technical and vocational education could be defined as those aspects of education process involving in ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The role of educational technology in teaching and learning is rapidly becoming one of the most i...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Religion is a social institution of a belief system, a mental complex and a system of worship fou...Continue Reading »
4. COMPARISM OF ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE COMPUTER SCIENCE AND INTEGRATED SCIENCE IN EXTERNAL EXAMINAT...» ABSTRACT The research investigated the comparison of academic performances of junior Science in External Examinations from 2003 2007. This study is a ...Continue Reading »
5. CLASS STRATIFICATION, POVERTY AND SOCIAL INJUSTICE: A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF FESTUS IYAYI’SVIOLENCE AND OLU OBAFEMI WHEELS» Chapter one 1.0 INTRODUCTION A writer is supposed to perform certain duties to the upliftment of his society. Perhaps this accounts for various roles ...Continue Reading »
6. THE ROLE OF REWARD AND PUNISHMENT ON STUDENTS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS» ABSTRACTThis project work is the role of reward and punishment on student’s academic performance in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local g...Continue Reading »
7. THE EFFECT OF CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS: A CASE STUDY OF SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN OREDO L...» ABSTRACT This research work has been designed to investigate the problems affecting classroom management and control and identify the solution facing ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY "Multimedia" is currently the buzzword in educational technology. Multimedia here refers to combi...Continue Reading »
9. THE INFLUENCE OF NIGERIAN ENGLISH ON BRITISH STANDARD ENGLISH (CASE STUDY OFCOLLEGE OF EDUCATION AKWANGA, NASSARAWA STATE)» Abstract The influence of Nigerian English on British Standard English is one of the controversial issues in our country (Nigeria) today. The Nigerian...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The Fula people also known as Fulani in Hausa language, are a mass population widely dispersed and cu...Continue Reading »