Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 53 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This study investigated the relationship between study habits and students’ performance in senior secondary school examinations in Surulere L.G.A. of Lagos State. The research design was descriptive survey and simple random sampling technique was used to select the sampled schools. The researcher used the standardized questionnaire of study habits inventory which was the main instrument for the study. That is, all the hypotheses formulated for the study were accepted. It was recommended that qualified and experienced teachers should be employed to facilitate a meaningful learning by the students in English, Mathematics, Biology and Economics. Government should provide adequate teaching aids for the usefulness of the teachers for the performance of the students in English, Mathematics, Biology and Economics.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
In the field of education & psychology, learning has been discovered all over the world to be a highly complex problem. Several researchers have tried to explain it differently and the description of each is partially true. Over the years, researches on factors that influence academic performance of adult learners have attracted the interest of not only researchers but concern of teachers, counselors, psychologists, and school administrators as well. Study method is the knowledge and application of effective study skills or techniques by adult learners. The term reading habit refers to the way in which adult learners’ study either systematically, efficiently or inefficiently. In line with what has been said above, we can deduce that good reading habit will definitely yield positive academic performances and achievement and also inefficient or poor reading habit leads to academic failure. Adult learners’ attitude and reading habit towards any subject has been described as a function of passion coupled with their belief on that particular which has a long way to go on their academic performances.
In Nigeria, many factors have been highlighted to influence the ability of adult learners to cultivate effective and efficient reading habit. Such factors include; state of health, motivation, anxiety and state of mind, conducive and suitable environment for studying, availability of textbooks and well equipped libraries. In a research carried out by (Nuthana & Yenagi,2009) the causes of poor academic performance among Nigeria adult learners were thoroughly examined. In which some of these factors identified include; low adult learner’s intellectual ability, achievement motivation, lack of goals, low self-esteem, low socio-economic status of the family, poverty and poor reading habit as a major factor.
A survey was carried out in some selected schools in Nigeria to identify some major causes of low academic performances in adult learners. Some of the problems identified include inadequate teachers, problem of inadequate facilities in the school, problems caused by poor parental background, unfavorable government policies and low educational sector funding (Ajilaand Olutola 2007). Likewise, Ichado (1998)also dispute environment from which the adult learner comes from play a major role in influencing reading habits which invariably affect academic performance. The concept of reading habit is broad as it combines nearly all other sub-topics under it such as study attitude, study method, and study skill. In a research conducted by Allport (1960), it was argued that attitude toward study by drafting a good study pattern can greatly contribute to adult learners’ academic performance.Successful learners all over the world are said to have adopted positive attitude towardsstudy and are time conscious over whatthey have to do.
According to Hussain(2000) reading habit refers to predispositions whichadult learners have developed towards private readingsthrough a period of time. According to him, studyhabitis a gateway to successfulachievement in studies.
A research was carried out byMorahan (1999), he foundout that male and female have different ways of studying (reading habit). In this study, he discovered that the male adult learner took up courses that have more of logic and scienceswhile female adult learner were attracted to simplercourses and such it is in line with their passion which require different reading habit and might have a positive effect on academic performance of adult learners. Positive academic performance and achievement depends upon the adult learner’s ability to schedulehis time, the plan of his study, the habit of concentration, note –taking, mental review,over learning, the judicious application of whole and part method massed and distributed learning and so on. In other words, positive academic performance is a function ofproper reading habits and skills. Since reading habits arean important factor in learning, it becomes necessary to investigate into its nature.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problems associated with reading habits might have a major effect on a adult learner’s academic performances, it is believed that everyone has a different reading habit and it is important to find out the best personal way to study. Studying with friends has a long way to go in adult learner’s reading habits, it has a positive influence in which they discuss what have been read together but also has a negative effect in which they might not read but discuss throughout the stipulated time for reading which boils down to time wastage.
A very good and conducive environment encourages adult learners reading habit and might have positive impact of their academic achievements but adult learners reading in an unfavorable environment might find it difficult to study which might affect their academic achievements. Adult learners with financial constraints might also find it difficult to perform excellently well in their academics
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study:
1. To examine the correlation between reading habit and academic performance
2. To examine the effect of study environment on reading habit
3. To determine factors affecting adult learners’ reading habit and academic performance
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the correlation between reading habit and academic performance?
2. What is the effect of study environment on reading habit?
3. What are the factors affecting adult learners’ reading habit and academic performance?
HO: There is no significant relationship between reading habit and academic performance.
HA: There is significant relationship between reading habits and academic performance.
HO: There is no significant relationship between study environment and adult learners’ academic performance.
HA: There is significant relationship between study environment and adult learners’ academic performance.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are the significance of this study:
1. The outcome of this study will help adult learners in understanding the effect on reading habit and study environment on their academic performance and helps in serving as a guide for a positive result.
2. This research will also serve as a resource base to other scholars and researchers interested in carrying out further research in this field subsequently, if applied will go to an extent to provide new explanation to the topic.
1.7 SCOPE/LIMITATIONS OF STUDY
This study on the impact of reading habit on academic performance of adult learners will cover various approaches to study and its effect on the academic performance of adult learners.
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Study: application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation or reflection
Habit: an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary.
Performance: the accomplishment of a given task measured against preset known standards of accuracy, completeness, cost and speed
Adult learners: a person formally engaged in learning, especially one enrolled in a school or college
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title of Research Approval Page Dedication Acknowledgement Abstract Table of Contents CHAPTER ONE 1.1 Introduction 1 1.2 Statement o...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Public libraries contribute significantly to the educational development and literacy level of an...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study examined the influence of teachers’ public image on teachers’ performance in public secondary schools in Odi Olowo Loca...Continue Reading »
4. EFFECTS OF COOPERATIVE LEARNING STRATEGIES AND LOCUS OF CONTROL ON STUDENTS ACHIEVEMENT IN STATISTICS PROCESS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The technological advancement of any nation to a large extent is dependent on a sound scientific ...Continue Reading »
5. COMPARATIVE STUDY OF STUDENT PERFORMANCE IN WAEC BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY AND ENGLISH(CASE STUDY OF ENUGU NORTH LGA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Meaning of academic performance of student is challenging, since science student performance is the p...Continue Reading »
6. ASSESSMENT OF PARENTS AND TEACHERS’ ATTITUDE TOWARDS EARLY CHILDHOOD CARE DEVELOPMENT AND EDUCATION (ECCDE) PROGRAMME IN SOKOTO STATE, NIGERIA» TABLE OF CONTENTSTitle Page iDEDICATION iiCERTIFICATION iiiACKNOWLEDGEMENTS ivTABLE OF CONTENTS vLIST OF TABLES viiiAbstract ixCHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTI...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Sex is a basic physiological need of every human being, male and females are created with differe...Continue Reading »
8. FACTORS AFFECTING ATTITUDE TO WORK OF SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS AND STUDENTS’ PERFORMANCE IN IMO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Teachers occupy every important position in the educational system of any country because it is u...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY In Nigeria today, most children are from a family of lone parent; this might be as a result of untime...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Organizations, whether profit oriented or service oriented are designed to work towards achieveme...Continue Reading »