Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 53 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This study investigated the relationship between study habits and students’ performance in senior secondary school examinations in Surulere L.G.A. of Lagos State. The research design was descriptive survey and simple random sampling technique was used to select the sampled schools. The researcher used the standardized questionnaire of study habits inventory which was the main instrument for the study. That is, all the hypotheses formulated for the study were accepted. It was recommended that qualified and experienced teachers should be employed to facilitate a meaningful learning by the students in English, Mathematics, Biology and Economics. Government should provide adequate teaching aids for the usefulness of the teachers for the performance of the students in English, Mathematics, Biology and Economics.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
In the field of education & psychology, learning has been discovered all over the world to be a highly complex problem. Several researchers have tried to explain it differently and the description of each is partially true. Over the years, researches on factors that influence academic performance of adult learners have attracted the interest of not only researchers but concern of teachers, counselors, psychologists, and school administrators as well. Study method is the knowledge and application of effective study skills or techniques by adult learners. The term reading habit refers to the way in which adult learners’ study either systematically, efficiently or inefficiently. In line with what has been said above, we can deduce that good reading habit will definitely yield positive academic performances and achievement and also inefficient or poor reading habit leads to academic failure. Adult learners’ attitude and reading habit towards any subject has been described as a function of passion coupled with their belief on that particular which has a long way to go on their academic performances.
In Nigeria, many factors have been highlighted to influence the ability of adult learners to cultivate effective and efficient reading habit. Such factors include; state of health, motivation, anxiety and state of mind, conducive and suitable environment for studying, availability of textbooks and well equipped libraries. In a research carried out by (Nuthana & Yenagi,2009) the causes of poor academic performance among Nigeria adult learners were thoroughly examined. In which some of these factors identified include; low adult learner’s intellectual ability, achievement motivation, lack of goals, low self-esteem, low socio-economic status of the family, poverty and poor reading habit as a major factor.
A survey was carried out in some selected schools in Nigeria to identify some major causes of low academic performances in adult learners. Some of the problems identified include inadequate teachers, problem of inadequate facilities in the school, problems caused by poor parental background, unfavorable government policies and low educational sector funding (Ajilaand Olutola 2007). Likewise, Ichado (1998)also dispute environment from which the adult learner comes from play a major role in influencing reading habits which invariably affect academic performance. The concept of reading habit is broad as it combines nearly all other sub-topics under it such as study attitude, study method, and study skill. In a research conducted by Allport (1960), it was argued that attitude toward study by drafting a good study pattern can greatly contribute to adult learners’ academic performance.Successful learners all over the world are said to have adopted positive attitude towardsstudy and are time conscious over whatthey have to do.
According to Hussain(2000) reading habit refers to predispositions whichadult learners have developed towards private readingsthrough a period of time. According to him, studyhabitis a gateway to successfulachievement in studies.
A research was carried out byMorahan (1999), he foundout that male and female have different ways of studying (reading habit). In this study, he discovered that the male adult learner took up courses that have more of logic and scienceswhile female adult learner were attracted to simplercourses and such it is in line with their passion which require different reading habit and might have a positive effect on academic performance of adult learners. Positive academic performance and achievement depends upon the adult learner’s ability to schedulehis time, the plan of his study, the habit of concentration, note –taking, mental review,over learning, the judicious application of whole and part method massed and distributed learning and so on. In other words, positive academic performance is a function ofproper reading habits and skills. Since reading habits arean important factor in learning, it becomes necessary to investigate into its nature.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problems associated with reading habits might have a major effect on a adult learner’s academic performances, it is believed that everyone has a different reading habit and it is important to find out the best personal way to study. Studying with friends has a long way to go in adult learner’s reading habits, it has a positive influence in which they discuss what have been read together but also has a negative effect in which they might not read but discuss throughout the stipulated time for reading which boils down to time wastage.
A very good and conducive environment encourages adult learners reading habit and might have positive impact of their academic achievements but adult learners reading in an unfavorable environment might find it difficult to study which might affect their academic achievements. Adult learners with financial constraints might also find it difficult to perform excellently well in their academics
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study:
1. To examine the correlation between reading habit and academic performance
2. To examine the effect of study environment on reading habit
3. To determine factors affecting adult learners’ reading habit and academic performance
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the correlation between reading habit and academic performance?
2. What is the effect of study environment on reading habit?
3. What are the factors affecting adult learners’ reading habit and academic performance?
HO: There is no significant relationship between reading habit and academic performance.
HA: There is significant relationship between reading habits and academic performance.
HO: There is no significant relationship between study environment and adult learners’ academic performance.
HA: There is significant relationship between study environment and adult learners’ academic performance.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are the significance of this study:
1. The outcome of this study will help adult learners in understanding the effect on reading habit and study environment on their academic performance and helps in serving as a guide for a positive result.
2. This research will also serve as a resource base to other scholars and researchers interested in carrying out further research in this field subsequently, if applied will go to an extent to provide new explanation to the topic.
1.7 SCOPE/LIMITATIONS OF STUDY
This study on the impact of reading habit on academic performance of adult learners will cover various approaches to study and its effect on the academic performance of adult learners.
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Study: application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation or reflection
Habit: an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary.
Performance: the accomplishment of a given task measured against preset known standards of accuracy, completeness, cost and speed
Adult learners: a person formally engaged in learning, especially one enrolled in a school or college
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ASSESSMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS APPLIED BY PRINCIPALS OF SCHOOLS OF NURSING IN THE SOUTH EAST ZONE OF NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Principals of schools of nursing are confronted with situations that involve a lot of communication.The aim of the study therefore was to ass...Continue Reading »
2. TEACHERS’ ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE TEACHING OF CITIZENSHIP EDUCATION IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ISIALA MBANO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF IMO STATE» ABSTRACT This study is aimed at investigating teacher attitude towards the teaching of citizenship education in secondary schools in Isiala Mbano Loca...Continue Reading »
3. APPROVAL OF STUDENTS PERFORMANCE IN SCIENCE SUBJECTS IN FINAL EXAMINATIONS IN GOMBE CENTRAL EDUCATION ZONE» Abstract The study sought to assess students performance in science subjects in final examination WAEC/NECO/NABTEB in Gombe Central Educational Zone G...Continue Reading »
4. PERCEPTION OF STUDENTS WHO UNDERTAKE BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AS A PROGRAMME OF STUDY AND THE INFLUENCE OF THEIR PERCEPTION ON THEIR CHOICE OF THE PROGRAMM...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Generally, factors that influence one’s career choice are either intrinsic or extrinsic and...Continue Reading »
5. TO INVESTIGATE THE NATURE OF INDIGENOUS (TRADITIONAL) EDUCATION IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA.» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY 1.1 INTRODUCTION Education, which is acquiring new knowledge, skills, ideas or information, is a vital or fundamen...Continue Reading »
6. AN INVESTIGATIVE STUDY OF THE CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF EARLY MOTHERHOOD IN NIGERIA ( A CASE STUDY OF EJIGBO OSUN STATE)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study was to investigate the causes and problems of early motherhood in Ejigbo metropolis, Osun State. Related literature...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Academic performance often determined the individual scores in relation to performance of other students’ class test or examinations. T...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Teachers’ job performance is the extent that student’s performance improves after a period of...Continue Reading »
9. FACTORS INFLUENCING MARITAL HARMONY MARIED COUPLES (A CASE STUDY OF BABCOCK UNIVERSITY STAFF, OGUN STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Marriage, an institution as old as man, it is a crucial and fundamental human relationship because it...Continue Reading »
10. EFFECTS OF PEERS TUTORING AND DEMONSTRATION METHODS ON STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IN THE CONCEPT OF CHANGES IN MATTER IN BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHN...» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Declaration ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgement v Table of contents vi List of Tables xi List of Appendi...Continue Reading »