Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 50 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,500
The study focuses on the methods of teaching computer courses to computer science major in selected Nigeria polytechnics.
It examines the background, methods of teaching, tools and equipments use in teaching computer courses to computer science major. The primary data for the study were generated from well structured question broadcasted to random samples of 70 out of 200 NDII students from federal polytechnic Nekede and Abia State Polytechnic and supported with interviews. Frequency labels, simple proportion percentage ratios, average, ranking, and chi-square (test for goodness of fit) for validation of the some of the some of the findings as distributed.
From the data presented and analyzed textbook is the mostly used tool for teaching computer courses to computer science major.
Followed by the computer but 20% students said that textbooks, chalkboard and computer are the tools used.
It was also established from the study that lecture method, lecture with discussion practical assignment, and class discussions are the methods of teaching computer courses to computer science major.
Therefore the researcher summarized and recommend that the NBTE (National Biand for Technical Education) should improve on the teaching tools by providing enough computers for teaching and learning and the methods of teaching computer courses to computer science major should be maintained and if possible across other departments.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Education is an important sector which cannot be fun with any serious country, state, organization or individual and that is why an individual, organization or government uses every means to make sure a good education is provided for her citizens (Adibe, 2001).
One of the means of this provision is the introduction of computer science in polytechnics, as a course of study.
Computer science is the study of the design and use of computer systems. One goal of the computer science department is to provide the student with the tools to identify those problem that are best solved by means of a computer and to design and implement effective, economical, and creative solutions.
Computer science as an academic discipline systematically includes three domains: Theory, and abstraction, and design.
The curriculum’s required courses give the students a strong foundation in both the software and hardware aspects of computing, as well as the mathematics and science that underline the discipline. The electives in the later years allow the student to study more deeply some particular area of computer science. The department courses and programmes continue to respond to changing g requirements for professional employment in computer science.
It is the responsibility of the student to understand and fulfill polytechnic, and Department requirements. These requirements are described is the polytechnic has gone a ling way to keep those individuals (computer operators) in various way:
i. To acquire formal education in computer science
ii To register fully as members in Nigeria computer society.
Iii to reduce non-professionals in the field.
Computer is an electronic device, which is capable of receiving, sorting and retrieving information with tremendous speed, if computer is effectively used, it can help teachers teach computer science students visually in all the computer courses.
This study based on the assessment of the methods of teaching computer courses to computer science major in selected Nigerian Polytechnics is trying to find out those teaching methods use in teaching computers courses.
According to McCathy (1989) common teaching methods are lecture method, lecture with Discussion, panel of experts, Brainstorming, video tapes, class Discussion, case studies, Role playing, Report-Back sessions, worksheets/surveys, index card exercise, Guest speaker, values clarification exercise.
IPSJ Journal (2001), state that the method of teaching computer science in a department of liberal Art is from technique (concretion) to theory (abstraction), of from practices to lecture.
In a physical classroom these is a standard, set of equipment and tools, this usually includes audio-visual equipment such as textbook, a chalkboard, video-visual video player and tape recorder.
1.2 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aims and objectives of the study are to assess the methods of teaching computer courses to computer science major in selected Nigeria polytechnics.
1. It investigated whether textbooks and chalkboard the only teaching and learning tools in teaching computer courses.
2. It investigated whether multimedia instructional aids are used for both teaching and learning in computer science courses.
3. It investigated whether E-learning is used in teaching introduction to computers.
4. To investigate the most common teaching methods for computer courses to computer science majors.
1.3 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
The objective of teaching computer courses in Nigeria Polytechnics include to equip students with the necessary knowledge that will aid them to identify those problems that can be solved by means of computer system, and to design and implement effectively.
Another objective of the study is to provide the intellectual foundation for future professional development. A cornerstone in this study is ability fro student to reason logical. It is essential that student should be familiar with basic concepts in many computer courses.
Although, there are some other problems such as:
- Lack of lecturers to teach computer courses.
- Lack of teaching tools
- Lack of application of computer to real world situation in their programme of study.
- Extreme abnormal dislike or fear and dread of mathematics (one of the credit required for one to study computer science).
1.4 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of the study is to the methods of teaching computer courses to computer science major.
Also to educate student to succeed in his/her professional career, which takes place in the context of rapidly changing technology. In order to succeed in this area, the student must have certain knowledge, skills and attitudes.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
The objective of the research is to determine those tools/ methods that are used in teaching computer science major in Federal Polytechnic Nekede and Abia State Polytechnic.
In order to conduct an effective study on the central theme of this work, the following critical questions have been addressed namely:
(a) What are the tools used in teaching computer courses?
(b) Is your polytechnic connected via Internet?
(c) How effective is the use of computer on the teaching and
(d) What are the most common teaching methods of computer courses e.g. Introduction to computer, computer packages, Computer Programming, and, Computer Hardware maintenance.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Information technology (IT) is providing for the use of computer aided (CAL) systems to assist in the Education and training of students.
This study will assist computer science students to know teaching methods both old and new. It will help them to understand that developments in computer science will make new applications profitable and new method viable.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study is targeted at Federal polytechnic Nekede Owerri, Imo State and Abia State Polytechnic it covers all phases used in teaching computer courses. The wing topics will be addressed:
- Introduction to computer
- Computer packages
- Computer Programming
- Computer Hardware Maintenance
1.8 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
The researcher encountered a lot of problems such as limited time provided for this study.
Furthermore, the researcher encountered the problem of limited number of respondents since some of the respondents have not filled questionnaire of this type before.
1.9 DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
COMPUTER An electronic device that can accept data, process it and give result/ information under automatically stores program.
Computer science The study of the design and use of computer system. It is a chameleonic discipline.
Teaching Is a sublime communion of ideas whereby an inquisitive soul gets to open up to the light of knowledge
Multimedia A way of presenting to the user a combination of different forms of information such as text, data, images, video, audio, and graphics.
Algorithms a clearly – defined mathematics final used to solve a problem or run an operation
Animation A simulation of movement created by displaying a series of pictures or frames, cartoons on television is one example of animation
Program A set of instructions given to computer to carry out particular task
Virtual Not real. Something that is mere simulation or illusion of a real environment.
Videoconferencing A person-to- person discussion, involving either individuals or groups in which participants are at different sites, using computer networks to transmit audio and video data.
Online Turned on and connected.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. PROBLEMS OF ESSAY WRITING AMONG SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN OHAUKWU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EBONYI STATE» Abstract Essay writing is a grammatical element that can make for an effective communication if properly written in any composition or expression. Thi...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 171 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Traditionally and for the longest time, women have been viewed as child bearers and keepers of th...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 192 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Faith shapes our life purposes, meanings, trusts, loyalties, character, worldview, and values, po...Continue Reading »
58 pages | 89 hits | Source: EDUCATION
4. KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS OF RADIATION EXPOSURE AND SAFETY PRACTICE AMONG PATIENTS UNDERGOING MEDICAL IMAGING IN 3 SELECTED HOSPITALS IN THE F.C.T» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The use X rays in imaging modalities such as Computed Tomography (CT scans) and mammography to di...Continue Reading »
54 pages | 191 hits | Source: EDUCATION
5. INVESTIGATING RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN AVAILABILITY OF LABORATORY FACILITIES AND ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN BIOLOGY AMONG SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS I...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1Background to the Study Science is doing and involves regular hands – on practical work for learners to develop scientif...Continue Reading »
63 pages | 258 hits | Source: EDUCATION
6. QUESTIONNAIRE ON THE FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE POOR PERFORMANCES OF STUDENTS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN SELECTED SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN KADUNA METR...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Education is the best legacy a nation can give to her citizens. It is generally believed that the...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 189 hits | Source: EDUCATION
7. THE EFFECT OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS ON THE LEARNING AND TEACHING OF ECONOMICS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA» ABSTARCT The study aimed at examining the effects of economics instructional materials on the learning and teaching of economics as well the effects o...Continue Reading »
72 pages | 300 hits | Source: EDUCATION
8. THE EFFECT DATING AND PREMARITAL SEX ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF URBAN AND RURAL STUDENTS OF AKWA IBOM STATE (A STUDY OF UYO AND IKOT ABASI LOCAL GOVER...» ABSTRACT This study centres on the effect of dating and pre marital sex on academic performance of urban and rural students. It is assumed that dating...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 403 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT This long essay discussed the topical issue on the effects of school based violence on the academic achievements of students. It focused the ...Continue Reading »
56 pages | 363 hits | Source: EDUCATION
10. INVESTIGATED THE LACK OF RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES AMONG SENIOR SECONDARY STUDENTS (SSS) IN EZZA SOUTH L.G.A OF EBONYI STATE.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Man as a gregarious being moves closer to his fellow men to share knowledge, live together in groups,...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 60 hits | Source: EDUCATION