Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The marriage of a youth in ancient society was parts of the responsibilities of his parents. The young man had no choice as to the choice of wife. In some cases a wife was married to him at a time. He could not accept to keep a wife. And all maintenance was done by the parents. Such marriages were regarded to be sacred and respected by the spouses. Parents were unnecessarily getting as to where their son was going to get his wife from.
Marriages arranged by parents on the basis of family friendship ties rarely broke up in the past. Divorce which is the legal ending of marriage was also very rare in the past, because of the penalty associated with proven fidelity and the fear offending elders of both families. In Nigeria, there are clearly defined types of marriage. We have the church or statutory marriage, those performed at mosques and marriage constituted according to native law and customs of any ethnic group.
One of the purposes of marriage is to have children and establish a family. When these children eventually arrive, they are regarded as blessing from God and they become both social and economic assets to their parents. The family this time needs a home to live in and feel secured. Thus, home becomes a place where children are nurtured to become responsible to both themselves and the society in general. Such a home should be built on love, rust, mutual understanding and good planning to be able to met its universal goals. In a situation where love and understanding is lacking, such a home becomes filled with crack and fissures. Also, tension and anxiety becomes the order of the day. Thus intimately may result in divorce therefore become a personal misfortune for either of the spouse in any society. Although it may be considered as a universal escape for the inevitable tension in marriage.
Divorce is actually a legal dissolution of the marital union which, involve the governance of the marriage bind between a husband and his wife.
For a marriage to be successful there is the need for the couple to be in harmony mentally, physically and spiritually. In other words, the husband and the wife must have a common goal and each have to contribute his or her own towards the fulfillment in the family and the key word should be love.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
There are many problems with divorce or broken homes which at the long run reflect on the performance of children in schools. Some of these problems are;
- There is increase in domestic work and redistribution of household chores, which leaves the children with little or no time for their studies
- In security, step parent do not show much love and affection to their step children. Thus, these children suffer from mental retardation, personality improvement and are always miserable. They show behavioral responses like lying, stealing, building and playing truant in school.
- Also, it has been observed that children from broken homes suffer some other problems such as non-provision of some basic material needs like non-provision of some basic materials needs like food, clothing and learning material etc.
- Greeting of a gap on the children’s existence because there is no adult to guide and direct their behavior and desires as children learn by limitation.
In view of this, the researcher is forced to wonder whether extra-relationship and financial problem could lead to broken home, and if broken homes, are they causes of decrease in the performance of children in schools. In that, a closer look at the turn out of secondary school graduates these days reveals a lot of half-cooked, half-boiled and half-baked scholars academically, socially and otherwise.
PURPOSE OF STUDY
The researcher is interested in the study of causes, problems and effects of divorce or broken homes in the performances of children in schools because of the present decrease children’s performance in schools which is giving much concern to most Nigerians as to where we are heading to. In view of this, this study is geared towards identifying the causes and problem of broken homes and the effects on the performance of children in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area. Also, to educated married couples and the general public of the consequences of divorce and or broken homes on the children and to encourage them to live harmoniously in order to bring up children who will successfully fit into the society and become useful to themselves and finally make necessary recommendations.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
It is hoped that findings from this study will enrich programmes of teaching social studies. The researcher is interested in the study of effect of divorce on the performance of children in schools because whatever happens in the home has a bearing therefore necessary to educate the youngsters who are yet to marry about the problems and causes of divorce and their consequences on the children. It will also make youngsters to be discriminative in their choice of mate. Findings from this study will and building from parent who have thought divorce in the understanding of the problem experienced by their parent and give them assurance about their children.
The following research questions are therefore formulated:
- What are the causes of divorce on the child’s education in Oredo local government area?
- What are the problems of divorce on the academic performance of students?
- Does divorce has any effect on the academic performance of students
- Do couples realize that problem in marriage can lead to divorce?
- Does psychological and emotional disturbance lead to academic and social backwardness of students in schools?
- Does security and unruly attitude of stepmothers to students from broken homes lead them to steal in school?
- Does lack of encouragement on the part of step parents contribute to academic backwardness of students?
- Do children from broken homes opportune to plan their future career with their sponsors?
- Are couples aware that problems associated with divorce can affect their children and the society?
- What are the factors that can lead to divorce?
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Adolor College, Oredo Girls College, Idia college, Immaculate conception college, Emotan College would be sampled concerning the cause and problem of divorce and its effects on the child’s education.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In the course of the research in findings the causes and problem of divorce and its effect on the child’s education in Oredo local government area of Edo State, there were some problems that were encountered time and materials constraint, uncooperative attitude of respondent and unfavourable climate condition.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Family: A group of persons, two or more related by blood, marriage or adoption residing together; all such persons are considered as members of one family
Marriage: union of man woman as husband and wife.
Couple: two persons seen together as husband and wife.
Divorce: put an end to a marriage by law of husband or wife sexually outside matrimonial home.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The origin of labour unionism dates back to the Eighteen Century and the industrial revolution in...Continue Reading »
2. SKILLS IMPROVEMENT NEEDS OF MOBILE, ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE WORK TEACHERS IN TECHNICAL COLLEGE IN KATSINA ZONE» CHAPTER I INTRODUCTION Background of the study Technical and vocational education could be defined as those aspects of education process involving in ...Continue Reading »
3. CHILDREN AND VIOLENCE ON THE SCREEN: AN ANALYSIS OF RAMBO FIRST BLOOD AND COMMANDO; A STUDY OF YOUTHS IN KADUNA METROPOLIS.» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY 1.0 INTRODUCTION Television plays a very important role in the society; it educates, informs, entertains and enlig...Continue Reading »
4. THE EFFECT OF MOTIVATION ON THE PERFORMANCE OF TEACHERS IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, EDO STATE» ABSTRACT Attempt has been made in this study to examine the effects of motivation on the performance of teachers, a case study of some selected second...Continue Reading »
5. THE EFFECT OF FAMILY BACKGROUND ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF OSOGBO OSUN STATE)» ABSTRACT This research study focuses on the effects of family type on the academic performance of secondary school students in Osogbo metropolis, Osun...Continue Reading »
6. PERCEPTION OF PRE-MARITAL SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP AMONG STUDENTS OF TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS(CASE STUDY OF DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY ABRAKA)» ABSTRACT This study focuses on the "Perception of premarital sex among students in higher education The challenges of sex before marriage have drawn c...Continue Reading »
7. PROBLEMS OF ESSAY WRITING AMONG SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN OHAUKWU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EBONYI STATE» Abstract Essay writing is a grammatical element that can make for an effective communication if properly written in any composition or expression. Thi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to Study Christian Religious Knowledge (CRK) cannot be overemphasised in academic society (Bode, 2000)...Continue Reading »
9. HUMAN RESOURCES AND STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN PUBLIC SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN EDUCATION» ABSTRACT This study investigated human resources and students’ academic performance in public senior secondary schools in Education District IV of L...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the study T There is no issue that should be addressed as a matter of urgent national importance than that of s...Continue Reading »