Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The marriage of a youth in ancient society was parts of the responsibilities of his parents. The young man had no choice as to the choice of wife. In some cases a wife was married to him at a time. He could not accept to keep a wife. And all maintenance was done by the parents. Such marriages were regarded to be sacred and respected by the spouses. Parents were unnecessarily getting as to where their son was going to get his wife from.
Marriages arranged by parents on the basis of family friendship ties rarely broke up in the past. Divorce which is the legal ending of marriage was also very rare in the past, because of the penalty associated with proven fidelity and the fear offending elders of both families. In Nigeria, there are clearly defined types of marriage. We have the church or statutory marriage, those performed at mosques and marriage constituted according to native law and customs of any ethnic group.
One of the purposes of marriage is to have children and establish a family. When these children eventually arrive, they are regarded as blessing from God and they become both social and economic assets to their parents. The family this time needs a home to live in and feel secured. Thus, home becomes a place where children are nurtured to become responsible to both themselves and the society in general. Such a home should be built on love, rust, mutual understanding and good planning to be able to met its universal goals. In a situation where love and understanding is lacking, such a home becomes filled with crack and fissures. Also, tension and anxiety becomes the order of the day. Thus intimately may result in divorce therefore become a personal misfortune for either of the spouse in any society. Although it may be considered as a universal escape for the inevitable tension in marriage.
Divorce is actually a legal dissolution of the marital union which, involve the governance of the marriage bind between a husband and his wife.
For a marriage to be successful there is the need for the couple to be in harmony mentally, physically and spiritually. In other words, the husband and the wife must have a common goal and each have to contribute his or her own towards the fulfillment in the family and the key word should be love.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
There are many problems with divorce or broken homes which at the long run reflect on the performance of children in schools. Some of these problems are;
- There is increase in domestic work and redistribution of household chores, which leaves the children with little or no time for their studies
- In security, step parent do not show much love and affection to their step children. Thus, these children suffer from mental retardation, personality improvement and are always miserable. They show behavioral responses like lying, stealing, building and playing truant in school.
- Also, it has been observed that children from broken homes suffer some other problems such as non-provision of some basic material needs like non-provision of some basic materials needs like food, clothing and learning material etc.
- Greeting of a gap on the children’s existence because there is no adult to guide and direct their behavior and desires as children learn by limitation.
In view of this, the researcher is forced to wonder whether extra-relationship and financial problem could lead to broken home, and if broken homes, are they causes of decrease in the performance of children in schools. In that, a closer look at the turn out of secondary school graduates these days reveals a lot of half-cooked, half-boiled and half-baked scholars academically, socially and otherwise.
PURPOSE OF STUDY
The researcher is interested in the study of causes, problems and effects of divorce or broken homes in the performances of children in schools because of the present decrease children’s performance in schools which is giving much concern to most Nigerians as to where we are heading to. In view of this, this study is geared towards identifying the causes and problem of broken homes and the effects on the performance of children in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area. Also, to educated married couples and the general public of the consequences of divorce and or broken homes on the children and to encourage them to live harmoniously in order to bring up children who will successfully fit into the society and become useful to themselves and finally make necessary recommendations.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
It is hoped that findings from this study will enrich programmes of teaching social studies. The researcher is interested in the study of effect of divorce on the performance of children in schools because whatever happens in the home has a bearing therefore necessary to educate the youngsters who are yet to marry about the problems and causes of divorce and their consequences on the children. It will also make youngsters to be discriminative in their choice of mate. Findings from this study will and building from parent who have thought divorce in the understanding of the problem experienced by their parent and give them assurance about their children.
The following research questions are therefore formulated:
- What are the causes of divorce on the child’s education in Oredo local government area?
- What are the problems of divorce on the academic performance of students?
- Does divorce has any effect on the academic performance of students
- Do couples realize that problem in marriage can lead to divorce?
- Does psychological and emotional disturbance lead to academic and social backwardness of students in schools?
- Does security and unruly attitude of stepmothers to students from broken homes lead them to steal in school?
- Does lack of encouragement on the part of step parents contribute to academic backwardness of students?
- Do children from broken homes opportune to plan their future career with their sponsors?
- Are couples aware that problems associated with divorce can affect their children and the society?
- What are the factors that can lead to divorce?
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Adolor College, Oredo Girls College, Idia college, Immaculate conception college, Emotan College would be sampled concerning the cause and problem of divorce and its effects on the child’s education.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In the course of the research in findings the causes and problem of divorce and its effect on the child’s education in Oredo local government area of Edo State, there were some problems that were encountered time and materials constraint, uncooperative attitude of respondent and unfavourable climate condition.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Family: A group of persons, two or more related by blood, marriage or adoption residing together; all such persons are considered as members of one family
Marriage: union of man woman as husband and wife.
Couple: two persons seen together as husband and wife.
Divorce: put an end to a marriage by law of husband or wife sexually outside matrimonial home.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION THE BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The educational system is a key area where it is possible to intervene and present entrepreneursh...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY It is undoubtedly true that man as almost complete dominion over all things on earth, yet he has rema...Continue Reading »
3. UTILIZATION OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF TEACHING IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN KADUNA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Technology is a body of knowledge devoted to creating tools, processing actions and extracting of...Continue Reading »
4. IMPLEMENTATION OF HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICIES IN CONSTRUCTION OF HIGH RISE BUILDING IN KADUNA METROPOLIS» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page Approval Page Declaration Dedication Acknowledgement Table of Contents Abstract List of Tables CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE Introduction Background to the study The primary purpose of teaching at any level of education is to bring a fundamental change in the lea...Continue Reading »
6. IMPACT OF SCHOOL FACILITIES ON STUDENT ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE: CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN IGARRA AKOKO EDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, E...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Educationist and other well meaning people have always maintained that education is the greatest lega...Continue Reading »
7. THE ROLE OF SUPERVISION IN PROMOTING EFFICIENCY IN TEACHING AND INSTRUCTION IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN EGOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA IN EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Supervision right from time immemorial has to improve the activities of teaching and learning in ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Immorality today, it has been observed, is increasing on a daily bases. Ethics as a way of ordere...Continue Reading »
9. THE EFFECT OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON STUDENTS LEARNING OF CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES (A CASE STUDY OF KANKE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF PLATEAU)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. Background of the study The advent of social media amongst the average Nigerian youth has been on a steady increase not ...Continue Reading »
10. FACTORS AFFECTING CHOICE OF CAREER AMONG SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE.» ABSTRACT This study is aimed at identifying the factors affecting career choice among senior secondary schools students in Oredo Local Government Area...Continue Reading »