Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 48 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Nigeria’s public policy thrusts over the years towards the socio-economic and political growth, development and sustainability of the system is largely bereft with abject lack of direction and vision. Hence, this research attempts a plethora of Privatization and National Development. Problems of inefficiency and mismanagement of public enterprise, has lead to the increasing desire for government to turn public enterprises into private enterprises. As a result of this outcome this project study is researching on the prospects on privatization and how it is going to affect the economy. This research work is carried out to also determine which public enterprise should be filly privatized or partially privatized, how profit maximizing would be the private enterprise be arid beneficial to the Nigeria economy. The study was conducted in Edo state within the context of Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC). This comprises of the area in which the research study covered. The population of this research work consists of 480 workers of the fully privatized company -
TABLE OF CONTENT
Title Page ii
Table of content vii
1.1 Background of the study 1
1.2 Statement of the problem 2
1.3 Objective of the study 2
1.4 Research Questions 3
1.5 Statement of Hypothesis 3
1.6 Significance of the study 4
1.7 Scope and limitation of the study 4
1.8 Limitation of the study 4
1.9 Definition of terms 4
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
2.1 Introduction 6
2.2 The concept of privatization 7
2.3 Method of privatization 8
2.4 Objective of privatization 11
2.5 Benefits of privatization 13
2.6 Privatization in Nigeria 14
2.7 The impact of privatization on economic growth and development 16
3.1 Introduction 18
3.2 Research design 19
3.3 Population of the study 20
3.4 Sample size/sampling technique 20
3.5 Methods/sources of data collection 21
3.6 Methods for data analysis 21
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
4.1 Introduction 22
4.2 Data presentation 23
4.3 Test of Hypothesis 32
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
5.1 Summary of findings 36
5.2 Conclusion 37
5.3 Recommendation 38
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In the era of post colonialism, Nigeria has at one time or another, embarked upon certain policies that have political economic implications. For instance, from 1960 to date, Nigeria has introduced indigenization and nationalization policy, operation feed the Nation (OFN), Austerity measure, structural adjustment programme (SAP), Deregulation of oil sector, Resource control Privatization and commercialization of public enterprises to mention but a few. The critical question here remains. How many of these policies have been able to restructure the political economy of Nigeria to the tune of alleviating the yearnings and aspirations of the working class.
The world no doubt is moving towards capitalization and any nation that is not moving towards this direction is seen as either not developing or even retrogressing. A capitalist economy is a free market economy which allows most economic decisions to be guided by the twin forces of demand and supply. Since capitalization discourages monopoly but encourages competitive market, it therefore enhances efficiency and high productivity which is very vital in any developing country’s economy. In Nigeria, most government owned industries and establishments remain citadels of corruption, studies in efficiency and consequently a heavy drain on the economy. As a means of curbing this menace, the Brettonwoods institutions (IMF & WORLD BANK) have advocated the twin policies of privatization and commercialization.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
Privatization and commercialization of public enterprises is a vital tool for the upliftment of a country’s economy, more especially the developing countries like Nigeria. Regrettably, the problems facing this privatization and commercialization program is implementation of privatization policy and the administrator of privatization and corruption.
However, it is based on these problems that the basic propositions of this privatization and commercialization program are being hindered. In trying to look into these discrepancies and proffer a way forward towards a positive state of privatization and commercialization of public enterprises in Nigeria, this research work emanated.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
1. To determine the impact of privatization on Nigerian Economy
2. To determine the post privatization effect on Nigerian economy.
3. To make a comparative analysis of what innovations the policy has brought into the economy.
4. To assess the factors that led to the privatization and commercialization of these public co-operations and its origin. Thirdly, this work will also evaluate the various privatization and commercialization programs embarked by the Nigerian government from 1988 to 2010.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
This work will tend to ask some relevant questions like:-
1. What are the reasons why these public enterprises have to be sold despite the rationales for its establishment?
3. Can these corporations function well under the care of the state rather than being privatized whether wholly or partly?
4. How far has this privatized enterprises gone in boosting efficiency and high productivity to benefiting Nigerians as a whole whether poor or rich, higher place or less privileged?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
Ho: There is no significant relationship between privatization and economic development
Hi: There is a significant relationship between privatization and economic development
Ho: Poor implementation of privatization programme does not hinder economic development.
Hi: Poor implementation of privatization programme hinders economic development.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this research work focused strictly on the impact of privatization on Nigeria economy using Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) as a case study.
1.7 LIMITATIONS O F THE STUDY
On the course of this research, the following problems were encountered, like short time frame. Financing problem, scarcity of information or data, etc. this is due to mainly, the wide scope of this study which emphasizes on a complex institution like Nigeria. Now, the implication is that the short time frame mapped out for this research work posed a problem of assessing these programs as whole, but that doesn’t threat the authentication and quality of this work.
Again, enough finance for the accomplishment of this work became a problem in the sense that gathering information was costly, the researcher needed enough money to gather them.
1.8 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research work will help the government and readers to understand those benefits that privatization embodies which we have neglected and politicized with in the past. In understanding this on the side of the government, it will allow them to rethink and work towards real implementation of it thereby creating a room for the rapid growth and development of Nigerian economy. On the other hand, it will go a long way to create an avenue for more academic research.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
PUBLIC CORPORATIONS: Public corporation or enterprise as defined by Adamolekun (1983), are organizations that emerged as a result of government acting in the capacity of an entrepreneur. They can be seen as those corporations or enterprise built, owned and managed by the government.
PRIVATIZATION: This is a programme of divesting government interest, ownership and control of certain public enterprise and transferring same into the hands of private sector economic units which can be done in full or in part.
COMMERCIALIZATION: This means the reorganization of enterprises wholly partly owned by the federal government in which the commercialization enterprise shall operate as profit making commercial ventures and without subvention from the governments.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. CRITICALLY EVALUATE THE IMPACT OF ICT ON THE NIGERIAN ECONOMIC GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT IN HEALTH SECTOR: CASE STUDY OF GIWA HOSPITAL KADUNA» INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Information and communication technology (ICT) offers the promise of fundamentally changing the lives of much of ...Continue Reading »
2. INSTITUTIONAL STRENGTHENING AND THE EFFICIENCY OF PUBLIC SERVICE DELIVERY: A CASE STUDY OF SERVICOM, SOKOTO» Abstract The adequacy and efficiency of the civil and public sector is the center point of every country in this 21st century. This can only be attain...Continue Reading »
3. THE IMPACT OF INTEREST RATE ON INVESTMENT DECISION IN NIGERIA: AN ECONOMETRIC ANALYSIS (1981-2010)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Investment is the change in capital stock during a period. Consequently, unlike capital, investme...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This study examines the effect of cashless policy on the Nigerian economic growth. Nigeria has continued to evolve in different realms. The e...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The study examined empirically Government Health care financing and Workforce Productivity. The variables examined were workforce growth rate...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1 Background of the Study: At the inception of SAP it was clearly stated that " the objective of Government is to evolve a re...Continue Reading »
7. ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION TO ENHANCE FINANCIAL ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Several years of military misrule and mismanagement had weakened the economic management processes and institutions in Nigeria. There was no ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study A study on real exchange rate (RER) will not be complete without an explanation of exchange rate....Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work Globalization and its impact on the growth of the Nigerian economy from periods of 1986 to 2008 is basically to determine ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION OF THE STUDY In a word where nation are unequally endowed with human natural, financial resources, a high degree of inter...Continue Reading »