Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Database Management System for students registration deals with all kind of student details, academic related reports, college details, course details, curriculum, batch details and other resource related details too (Vecchioli, 1999). It tracks all the details of a student from the day one to the end of his course which can be used for all reporting purpose, tracking of attendance, progress in the course, completed semesters years, coming semester year curriculum details, exam details, project or any other assignment details, ﬁnal exam result etc. The design can facilitate the exploration all the activities happening in the college, even to get to know which faculty is assigned to which course, the current status of a student, attendance percentage of a student and upcoming requirements of a student. The database management system for student registration is an automated version of manual database management system for student registration. It can handle all details about a student (Wright, 1990). The details include college details, subject details, student personal details, academic details, exam details etc. In case of manual system they need a lot of time, manpower etc. Here almost all work is computerized. So the accuracy is maintained. Maintaining backup is very easy. It can do within a few minutes. The system has two type of accessing modes, administrator and user. Database management system for student registration is managed by an administrator. It is the job of the administrator to insert update and monitor the whole process. When a user log in to the system. He/she would only view details of the student. He/she can’t perform any changes (Connors &Valesky, 2006).
The data generated by organizations are usually created in files for use by different departments/units within the organization. If the data contained in these files are not carefully delineated it is very likely that the same data will appear on several of these files. That is these files would contain redundant data e.g. the University registry file and college or department file would contain the name and address of a student. This would mean that a simple change of address has to be processed in two and probably three or four places, depending on the number of other files on which these data appears. As noted in Vecchioli (1999) organizing and managing student records into a cohesive and efficient system might seem like an impossible task.
The National Open University of Nigeria is a Federal Open and Distance Learning (ODL) institution, the first of its kind in the West African sub-region. It is Nigeria's largest tertiary institution in terms of student numbers and is popularly referred to as 'NOUN'. NOUN does not provide lectures to students in normal classrooms except some certain study centres, primarily due to constraints known to the University alone and the challenges usually faced by a developing tertiary institution. The study centre in Lagos for instance provides lectures to all its Law undergraduates and supplies necessary course materials to all students after the payment of tuition fees. All courses offered have been accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC)
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The major problems associated with database management system for student registration include improper registration, late release of students’ results, inaccuracy due to manual and tedious calculation, retrieval difficulties /inefficiency. Hence, it is importance to identify whether the organization of administrative functions in the faculty of science, national Open University of Nigeria is best suited for computerization. However, this study is examining the design and development of a database management system for student registration in faculty of science, National Open University of Nigeria.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study:
1. To design and develop a database management system for student registration in faculty of science, National Open University of Nigeria.
2. To examine the advantages of database management system for student registration.
3. To identify the limitations in the development of database management system for student registration.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the process of designing and developing a database management system for student registration in faculty of science, National Open University of Nigeria?
2. What are the advantages of database management system for student registration?
3. What are the limitations in the development of database management system for student registration?
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are the significance of this study:
1. The outcome of this study will educate on the design and development of a database management system for student registration in faculty of science, National Open University of Nigeria.
2. This research will be a contribution to the body of literature in the area of the effect of personality trait on student’s academic performance, thereby constituting the empirical literature for future research in the subject area.
1.7 SCOPE/LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
This study will cover the process of designing and developing a database management system for student registration in faculty of science, National Open University of Nigeria
LIMITATION OF STUDY
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR COMPUTER SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Computerization is defined as the control of processes by computers and its peripherals. Today it wou...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Information technology (IT) is the application of computers and telecommunications equipment to st...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Information and communication technology (ICT) offers the promise of fundamentally changing the l...Continue Reading »
4. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF AN ONLINE PRISON MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA PRISON SERVICE ENUGU)» ABSTRACT Prisoners’ management in Nigeria has long been a neglected area and has only recently been included in the 20 20 vision document under ...Continue Reading »
5. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPUTERISED DRUG VERIFICATION AND MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (A CASE STUDY OF NAFDAC)» ABSTRACT This project was centered on design and implementation of computerized drug verification and management system. The current process of verify...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 Introduction Thousands of banks perform millions of monetary transactions every day and thousands of users follow almost ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was intended to examine the historical development of artificial intelligence. This study was guided by the following objectives; ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Storage facilities may hold aggregations of learning things as a circulation focus may store book...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Cybersecurity through ethical hacking plays an important role in the ongoing development of telec...Continue Reading »
» The main objective of this research study is to determine whether information technology improves management effectiveness by affecting business strat...Continue Reading »