Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 65 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Traditional budgeting has been criticized for a long time now for its inadequacy as a means of management control. Criticisms concerning its inadequate practices in a changing business environment emerged as early as the mid 1980’s with Johnson and Kaplan (1987) seminal book relevance lost?
It called also note from the work of Allen (1998). Who stated that the rapid changes in today’s business environment renders a rigid approach to budgetary control obsolete. It is no longer helpful in his anything up to 15 months previously. He argues that amongst the requirements of a more appropriate system, would be the building in of accountability to explain the differences between actual and planned performance. This demands a more immediate time frame of information reporting. Thus, there is a need to integrate strategic management and budgeting. The works of C. Adams et al (200) called be pointed to this regard. These author, conceptualized that to be effective, budgets must aligned with the organization’s strategies, appropriate strategic planning, and performance management process introduced, and must involve processes that are value based, consequential and continuous.
The work of Tim Blumentritt (2006) called be viewed as further contributions to the above stand point as he recognizes the need for organizations to integrate strategic management and budgeting. What seems rather unfortunate according to Tim Blumetritt (2006) is the fact that most organizations still great the budgeting and strategic management processes separately and also, a significant portion of small and medium sized enterprises do not engage in strategic planning (Tim Blunetritt 2006, p 74).
Hence, the reason for this research work which is to investigate the question; “what is the budgeting practice in Nigerian manufacturing company?” The motivation for this study also comes from the work of Herath and Indrani (2007) who investigated on the “roles of Budgetary Control System (BCS) as a component of the Management Control System (MCS) in creating and sustaining competitive advantage” and came up with a positive conclusion. They concluded that though BCS called play a leading role in establishing an efficient MCS for creating a sustainable competitive advantage, budgeting will not function in isolation (P 79). “Instead, it can be used more effectively oriented knowledge enterprise” (Herath and Indrani; 2007, P179)
The choice of National Emergency Agency (NEMA) is related to the fact that it is a manufacturing company in a very competitive industry and lots of challenges faces Nigerian manufacturing companies as they struggle with economic depression and high inflation resulting form IMF world bank led structural adjustment plan (SAP) implemented by the Nigerian government. These programs were initiated to promote the liberalization of the domestic economy, operations efficiency, productivity growth, privately owned enterprises development, economic growth, trade and investment. The economic liberalization policies have nurtured on upon economy and have minimized the hurdles that the manufacturing companies need to clear in order to obtain raw materials and inputs, and other resources for productive activities. However, it has created an unprecedented change in their business environment through increased competition both in the domestic market and from need to development and implement a well conceived strategic plan is order to be competitive in the business environment.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Nomatter ho well a plan is organized, it cannot produce results on its own, thereby the need for control strategy through budgeting practices to check compliance and excesses with particular reference to National Emergency Agency (NEMA) . What is the budgeting practice in the Nigerian manufacturing companies?
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The aim of this study is to investigate the management control practice (budget being the tool for management control) in National Emergency Agency (NEMA). The objectives of this study include the following:
i. To examine the present system of budgeting being practiced in National Emergency Agency (NEMA) .
ii. To examine how budgeting and control system effectively put to use in order to enhance the accomplishment of the organizational set goals and objectives.
iii. To highlight some of the problems that militates against better performance.
1.4 Research Questions
i. What is the present system of budgeting being practiced in National Emergency Agency (NEMA) .
ii. How is budgeting and control system effectively used in order to enhance the accomplishment of organization goal and objectives.
iii. What are the problems that militate against better performance.
1.5 Significance of the Study
The target groups of this study are managers, business practionners and scholars in the field of business management. This will enhance a deeper knowledge about how better a management control would be if its essential tools are well integrated.
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the Study
The scope of this study is limited to the 2005 – 2010 budgeting periods of National Emergency Agency (NEMA) . The estimates of both revenue and expenditure of the above years will be examined. The process of budget preparation, control, management control, implementation and review will be covered by the study.
Limitation of the Study
The study is limited to National Emergency Agency (NEMA). Kaduna and if they are applying the concepts of budgeting in their operations and how well. As the organization under consideration is a manufacturing firm having to contend with competition, we cannot justify the credibility of all information to be used for the study.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUSINESS MANAGEMENT FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECT OF INFORMATION, COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION OF BANKING SYSTEM OF NIGERIA (CASE STUDY OF GTB)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The concept of ICT innovation has been one of the concept of globalization. ICT innovation has been shown in different part o...Continue Reading »
2. EFFECT OF TALENT MANAGEMENT ON ORGANISATIONAL PERFORMANCE (A CASE STUDY OF NESTLE NIGERIA LIMITED)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The ultimate goal of every business organization is to increase the sale of goods and service tha...Continue Reading »
3. MANAGEMENT OF EMPLOYEE WELFARE WITH EMPHASIS ON INDUSTRIAL ACCIDENTS AND SAFETY (A CASE STUDY OF PREMIER BREWERIES PLC ONITSHA)» ABSTRACT In organization people to work effectively in an organization emphasis on industrial accident and safety should be made. The welfare of the e...Continue Reading »
4. EFFECT OF HUMAN RELATIONS ON ORGANIZATIONAL PRODUCTIVITY [A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN INSTITUTE FOR TRYPANOSOMIASIS RESEARCH (NITR), KADUNA]» ABSTRACT The study was designed to find out the “Effect of Human Relations on Organizational Productivity in Nigerian Institute for Trypanosomia...Continue Reading »
5. THE IMPACT OF EMPLOYEES PARTICIPATION IN DECISION MAKING AND ORGANISATION PRODUCTIVITY ( A CASE STUDY OF NESTLE NIG PLC)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1Background of the study The concept of worker participation represents a popular theme in the analysis of the world of wor...Continue Reading »
6. GENDER DIFFERENCES AND ITS IMPACT ON EMPLOYEE JOB SATISFACTION: A CASE STUDY OF FIDELITY BANK PLC, NIGERIA» ABSTRACTThe importance of employee job satisfaction in organizations cannot be over emphasized.The aim of this dissertation was to investigate the imp...Continue Reading »
7. THE SECRETARY AND THE EFFECTIVES OF NEW OFFICE TECHNOLOGIES ON RECORD KEEPING MANAGEMENT IN INSTITUTION OF MANAGEMENT AND TECHNOLOGY, ENUGU.» ABSTRACT A lot has been written by many authors about new office technologies and how they have immensely affected secretarial performance. This study...Continue Reading »
8. PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF MARRIED FEMALE OFFICE MANAGERS IN BUSINESS ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK PLC)» ABSTRACT This study focuses on the problems and prospects of married female office managers in business organizations. The population consisted of thi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTIONMergers and acquisitions (M&As) have become a key part of manycorporate growth strategies, with diversification being the p...Continue Reading »
10. INVENTORY MANAGEMENT IN A MANUFACTURING FIRM (CASE STUDY OF SEVEN - UP BOTTLING COMPANY PLC ABA)» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRPDUCTION Inventory in some big organization constitute the largest item of working capital and it’s control is very essentia...Continue Reading »