Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The major purpose of this study was to identify ICT competencies required by office managers in a financial institution. The population of the study consists of 30 mangers from union Bank, Fidelity Bank, UBA Bank, Diamond Bank, NITEL and MIZ Enterprise. Out of the 30 Managers, since the population was too small it was also used as the sample random. Descriptive statistics such as mean score, tables and figures was used to analyzed the questionnaire items. The major findings of the study were that ICT competencies required by office managers are internet competencies, word processing competencies, record management competencies, telephone competencies. Meanwhile it was discovered that ICT enhance communication, eliminate time, reduce costs and ensure effective maintenance. It was concluded that office managers are required to acquire ICT competencies in order to handle their duties effectively. Based ion this, some recommendations were made.
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In the financial institution secretaries occupy a very important place in Nigeria and the world economy. Because their imagination of many people has been captured by the concept of the electronic office and the media has given the topic considerable coverage in both general and business terms. Secretaries have a lot of problems to contend with and solve in the office because of the modern and sophisticated. For these and other reasons, the researcher is to look into the information communication Technology (ICT) competences required by modern secretaries in the financial institution
The engagement, maintenance and the retention of qualified secretaries to cope with the ever increasing demands of corporate activities seems to be of interest to every organization. However, machines and the harnessing of natural resources is progressing relieving humanity from the distress of an oppressing heavy physical foil and is affording improved opportunity for the development of the mind and spirit. This is a challenging opportunity which in a null-shell can be referred to as an office automation which information communication technology (ICT) in an integral part of.
The researcher therefore, examines the importance of some major equipment found in offices and how they help the secretaries in the day to day running of her duties no doubt the following questions must readily come to ones mind what is information communication Technology? Who is a secretary and the importance of information communication Technology (ICT)
The importance of Information Communication Technology to a secretary cannot be over emphasized. Information communication technology had helped the secretary perform her duties with such ease and confidence as never before. I allows her to carry-out such routine duties as filing, typing of form letters, making copies, correcting errors with each done quickly and neatly, thus giving her enough time to do other duties, like attending her boss’s personal affairs, attending to visitors, answering telephone calls and carrying out other administrative duties on behalf of her boss.
Organization can now competently handle the increase volume of paper work despite rising costs. Work can be easily measured, to enable them justify investment on equipment and effectively utilize their most expensive resources, staff, as well as achieving cost saving organization will produce a better, faster service and prevent highly professional image to the corporate competitors and the public.
The manager benefits from the rapid turnover of paper work and indirect from the traditional support available for them. If the managers should wish to use it, the secretary will feed from so much typing. Information communication (ICT) helps executives makes more effective use of their time and relieve them of a lot of checking and proof reading. They would also be in a better position to consider delegating come work of their work in that they now have secretaries and administrative support more readily available.
According to Adeyemi (1999), Information Communication and Technology is a systematic body of tools, techniques, and infrastructure for generating, collecting, storing, processing and transmitting data information and communication Technology is the discipline encompassing computer systems telecommunication networks and multimedia application. Everyone knows that information and communication Technology deals more on the computer and it has become ubiquitous in ICT competencies required by modern secretaries in financial institution over the past decade or so. So computer is a machine which runs on logic. Our reactions to them, however, often involve blinds faith and false perception. The huge scale of the investment in hardware and support services can lead to an assumption that there is an implicit value in ICT. Uwaje, (2001), ever since this unparallel innovation of the 1940’s man has made a long leap in technology and communication, and has since advanced considerably scientifically and economically.
Igwegbe, (2000) noted that the last century recorded a major parading shift in the way organizations desire Optimize performance and profitability. ICT was and is still the key enable this new way of working that has transformed the business 9enable by information) determines who leads and who trails
Uwaje, (2002) found that , the information Technology comprising internet has turned our global village into a well furnished mansion equipped with the world’s library of infinite information and communication. The internet has so many other features like, the electronic mail (e-mail) which provides a fast economical and convenient way to and message to family, friends and colleagues. Other includes e-news (Electronic news, E-Commerce (Electronic commerce) ATM (Automated Teller Machine) to work exchange information and communication simultaneously earth wide and in a couple of age.
The information and communication Technology machine has helped the secretaries immensely in her duty. It increases productivity in the office. Hostings (1987) agrees with this in itself has increase the productivity of a secretary. Harding (1985) said that secretaries gain in that they have at their disposal a sophisticated tool capable of tasking a drudgery and boredom of routine, repetitive work, enabling them to be more creative. ICT not only increase productivity but also reduces cost and removes much of the tedious work of the secretary. There seems to to be different definitions for the terms “secretary” pitman (1977) stated that a “secretary is one who acts as the confidential assistant to another or who conducts the communications and private asoe4cts of an executive work. Gatenby and Wakefield (1973), looks at the secretary “as the person who is employed by another to help in various ways. A secretary writes letters, makes appointments for those who wish to interview her employer, keeps records etc. and is often called “a private secretary”
The type of training received by a secretary affords her the opportunity to be knowledgeable of the secretarial profession as well as being exposed to some aspects of administration in management organization. She is very important member of her office team and she is the backbone of the office anywhere, any time. She must be prepared to hold her company in high esteem, and protect and its good name. She has to dispatch the integrity of a worthy representative of the organization whenever She has to act on its behalf. The success of her company is her own success even if t5hyis entails personal sacrifice.
A good secretary is not a tune watcher, in an emergency, she must be prepared to put in extra hours, she has to study her supervisor carefully and influence all his likes and dislikes. The foregoing necessitated the study, the competencies of the secretary in information and communications technology (ICT) is uncertain.
Operate in ICT, the secretary (who has got knowledge of typewriting) keys in not type on a familiar QUALITRY BOARD. That text appears on the screen instead of paper, of mistake is made, instead of going to great deal it wish the correct word, all at a touch of a key. The margin cab automatically be changed when the secretary is satisfied with the piece of job, prints or required copied can be made.
An information and communication technology is therefore, a computer specially programmed to handle text rather than numerical data.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
General notion has been that adequate training is not given to modern secretaries so as to be able to make effective use of the modern offices machines and equipment. This has made her job more stresses and hereby decreased productivity. The general notion is a driving force which led into this research. The problem now may include but not limited to the fact that:
1). The secretary may not process ICT competencies
2). They may not process the ability to operate and or manipulate modern office equipment and machine.
3). The lectures may not be trained well and as such cannot impact non-existing knowledge hence once gives out what he has.
4). The curriculum may be defective. The above among others are the driving force to this research.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The major purpose of this research is examine the ICT competencies required by modern secretaries is the banking industry or organizations.
1) To ascertain internet competence required of office workers.
2) To Examine the telephone competencies of a top flight secretary
3) To ascertain various word processing competencies of an office secretary.
4) To determine record management skills required of secretaries
5) To find out the ICT level of impact on the office secretary.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study will be tremendous significance to different financial institution in Nigeria to impact desired ICT and other office Equipment skill on their staff.
This study will be usefully o secretary in the financial institution and undergraduate secretaries are preparing to face the labour market and to be familiar with the tools
The study is significantly because it would unveil the important of ICT in the financial institution and other organizations thereby improve productivity, quality of services, general efficiency and improve on the quality of secretaries.
This research study will provide answers to the following research questions
1. What are the internet competencies required of office workers?
2. What are telephone competencies are needed from a top flight secretary?
3. What are the various word processing competencies an office secretary should possess?
4. What record management skills are required of secretaries?
5. What is the level of ICT impact on the office secretary?
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study will focus on the information and communication technology competencies required by modern secretaries in the financial institutions and other organizations. The study will cover the entire secretaries and managements of some establishment. These establishments are Diamond Bank, Union Bank NITEL, Mez Enterprise. Questionnaire and interview will form the instrument to be used in this study.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECT OF COMPUTERIZED ACCOUNTING SYSTEMS ON RISK BASED INTERNAL AUDITING IN HOMA BAY COUNTY GOVERNMENT, KENYA» ABSTRACT For several centuries, internal auditing has been believed to be helping firms in protecting financial resources and assess recognized intern...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 414 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
2. EFFECTS OF MOTIVATION ON EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE: A CASE STUDY OF GHANA COMMERCIAL BANK, KUMASI ZONE.» ABSTRACT The introduction of universal banking law has brought changes over the years, with it stiff competition in the banking industry. Commercial b...Continue Reading »
81 pages | 201 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
» ABSTRACT This work is a study of organizational communication and job satisfaction in Akwa Ibom Newspaper Corporation (AKNC), Uyo. The work sets out t...Continue Reading »
102 pages | 319 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
4. THE EFFECT OF MOTIVATION AS A TOOL FOR INCREASING EMPLOYEE EFFICIENCY AND PRODUCTIVITY (A STUDY OF SELECTED BANKS IN NIGERIA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In recent times, managers and management researchers have long believed that organizational goals...Continue Reading »
100 pages | 180 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
5. THE IMPACT OF COMPENSATION AND REWARD SYSTEM ON ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE IN TOTAL NIGERIA PLC KADUNA» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY 1.1 Introduction Organizations are established with the aim of effectively utilizing various available human and n...Continue Reading »
82 pages | 95 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
6. AN ASSESSMENT OF BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT AND ITS IMPACT ON ORGANIZATIONAL GROWTH (A Case Study of Oil Down Stream in Nigeria.)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Many approaches have been used in the past to explain how organizations operate the classical org...Continue Reading »
51 pages | 194 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
7. COMPENSATION MANAGEMENT AND EMPLOYEE’S PERFORMANCE IN PUBLIC SECTOR, NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF UNIVERSITY OF JOS)» Abstract Compensation is the reward workers receive for their service or contribution to the organisation. A literature reviewed showed that compensat...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 79 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
» ABSTRACTWhen the economic fortune of the organization of petroleum exporting countries (OPEC) nations suffered a tragic experience due to the sudden f...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 121 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
9. WORK- LIFE BALANCE AND EMPLOYEES PRODUCTIVITY IN TERTIARY INSTITUTION, A SURVEY IN RIVER STATE UNIV AND UNIPORT» Abstract In a changing economy dealing with an individual employee is more difficult than any time in recent memory. Work life balance impact both ind...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 92 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
10. INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS AS A STRATEGY FOR ENHANCING ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE IN PEUGEOT AUTOMOBILE NIGERIA LIMITED» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Industrial relations which is the matter at stake is an integral part of management, it is pointl...Continue Reading »
66 pages | 58 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION