Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 61 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background to the Study
Mother tongue as the first language of instruction in schools is an essential tool in whatever field we may find ourselves, without it any meaningful form of intellectual pursuit will be hindered. As we all know that most children who begin their education in their mother tongues make a better start as they demonstrate increased self confidence, and continue to perform better than those who start school in a new language (English). (Cummins,2000)
The outlook of the education is brighter when the school builds on the foundation of mother tongue in teaching a second language.
It is therefore important that one understand the functions of mother tongue,
particularly pupil’s learning through it as a-medium of instruction in school. This
has been given a tremendous support by both educational authorities
and the general public. (Baker, 2000)
This support however, rests on the general belief that the mastery of mother tongue assists in the understanding of other subjects like Art, Social Studies and Primary Science etc. The numerous studies in all parts of the world shows that the effective use of mother tongue tends to the better knowledge of a second or foreign language when it is acquired in a comparative short time. (Skutnabh, 2000)
It is commonly known that children who lack the knowledge of mother tongue, that is children who only know how to speak English language as their first language without the knowledge of the language of their immediate environment, usually perform lower in academic work. (Baker, 2000)
In Nigeria, almost every parent wants their children to acquire the knowledge of a second language as their first language at the expense of their immediate environment. [Modernization has affected the acquisition of mother tongue in this regards. Now the way children perform in school, is no more like before, their performance had greatly dropped down almost to zero point. In a situation where children are being introduced to the language of their immediate environment at their early age, when they begin schooling, their performance in academic "work will improve. That is why this research is been conducted in order to address the role of mother tongue as it relates to child education, but at the lower level of primary school. Primary one to three are the focus of the research with a case study of some selected Model Primary School in Sokoto metropolis
1.2 statement of the problem
It has been observed that the rates at which primary school pupils of nowadays are performing poorly is very alarming. This might not be unconnected with the fact that mother tongue as the first language of instruction in school and which had been stipulated in the National policy on Education (NPE, 2004) had not been use for instruction as required. And in line with this, therefore Pupils are facing a lot of challenges today with regards to their educational attainment or progress. Education, as we all know, is inevitable if one really wants to make it in life, though one may become somebody in life without it, yet it is generally believed that if one really wants to make it, education cannot be left behind.
Now it is a problem for students to have good grade. This problem does not only affect the children in lower classes and upper classes of primary school, even students of secondary schools are being affected. When one considers the performance of students writing S.S.C.E Exam this day, is far lower than the way
students perform in the past. This is the reason why the researchers decided to consider the roles of mother tongue in education, most especially as it relates to child education in primary school that is primary one to three with special reference to some selected Model Primary School so that this problem can be addressed and solutions to be proffered.
1.3 Objective of the study
The main objective of this study is to investigate the impact of mother tongue on children learning at the lower level of primary education. However, other specific objectives include
1. To find out ways by which pupils could be helped to solve the problem they have in learning new things in other language (English)
2. To find out whether the language teachers are applying the children mother tongue in the process of teaching and learning.
3. To find out ways of motivating of the pupils towards the uses of their mother tongue in communicating with their colleagues and teachers in primary one to three.
4. To find out ways of helping pupils to develop their linguistics competence as they are growing in life.
1.4 Research Questions
1. What are the ways by which pupils could be helped to solved the problems the have in learning new things in other language?
2. Are the language teachers applying the children’s mother tongue in the process of teaching and learning?
3. How can the pupils be motivated towards the use of their mother tongue in communicating with colleagues and teachers?
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ADULT EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) is the most unwelcome visitor of the 20th Century. It has been disturbing and ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 207 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
» Abstract For several scores of years, Nigeria has earned an appellation for herself as a showcase of Africa’s democracy. Paradoxically, every journe...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 234 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
3. THE ROLE OF ADULT EDUCATION PROGRAMMES IN POVERTY ALLEVIATION STRATEGIES IN EDO STATE (A CASE STUDY OF EGOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study One of the most disturbing features of the world particularly the third world countries to which Nige...Continue Reading »
72 pages | 354 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
4. CAUSES OF DISPARITY BETWEEN MALE AND FEMALE ENROLMENT IN BUSINESS EDUCATION (Case Study Of Enugu State College Of Education (Technical)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the study: Education is a process of teaching training and learning especially in schools or colleges, top impr...Continue Reading »
70 pages | 289 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
5. CAPACITY BUILDING NEEDS OF STATE AGENCY DIRECTORS IN HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN ADULT EDUCATION IN NORTH CENTRAL ZONE OF NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the study Education is indispensable to national development. The Federal Government of Nigeria in her national...Continue Reading »
101 pages | 467 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
6. AN ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF ADULT LITERACY PROGRAMMES IN GUMBI DISTRICT OF WAMAKKO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA. SOKOTO STATE, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The widespread belief that adult literacy is a panacea for human development has been justified i...Continue Reading »
106 pages | 517 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
7. MOTIVATIONAL INITIATIVES FOR CITIZENS’ PARTICIPATION IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES IN ANAMBRA AND IMO STATES OF NIGERIA» Abstract The main purpose of this study was to ascertain the extent to which motivational initiatives promote citizens’ participation in communi...Continue Reading »
145 pages | 499 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study All of us travel at least once in our life and when we are at a new place one of the majo...Continue Reading »
34 pages | 518 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
9. EVALUATION OF AVAILABLE RESOURCES FOR THE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF BUSINESS EDUCATION IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study In order to have a describable change in the learner, good teaching must take place and to bring ...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 484 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE (A CASE STUDY OF BAYELSA STATE 2016 ELECTION) 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Nigeria as a country has had so many setbacks thro...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 783 hits | Source: ADULT EDUCATION