Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 77 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The main purpose and focus of this study was to investigate and bring to limelight the roles of insurance company in management of risk in medium scale organization. The researcher used Usmer water ventures located at No. 2 Hospital Lane Uyo, Akwa Ibom State for her study. In order to achieve the objectives of the study, seven (7) research questions and five (5) hypothesis were formulated to give a proper guide to the study, literatures that were related to the variables of the topic under study were reviewed stated according to the hypothesis for the study. The researcher underwent descriptive research as she conducts the study. The sample size of the study was taken from the original samples of the population which was 28. As veritable tools for data collection, questionnaire, observation and interview were used for data collection. Chi-square analysis was used to test the hypothesis and arrived at reasonable conclusion and solution. Based on the findings of this study, it was recommended that management of business organization should not overlook the insurance of their business because that is the only way risk and uncertainties can be managed and controlled.
1.1 Background of the Study
Every purposeful and responsible enterprise quest is to improve and succeed in its prospection objective and for any business establishment to venture into achieving her goals and objectives must first and foremost take precautions in other to even though not to totally eradicate dangers and uncertainties that may subsequently come up will go a long way to limit it and its effects. It is at this point that a risk manager comes in to bring in ways in which risk could be managed in order to efficiently run and to achieve the organizational goals and objectives.
As we are in a business society one of the important thing most managers should have at the back of their mind is that there is no business enterprise that is free of risk, it certainly face some degree of risk, and some of the risk are controllable with respect to the appropriate taken against it whereas some are largely unpredictable. Before looking at the meaning of “risk management” it will be important to briefly examine the concept of risks. ISO 3100- International Organization for Standardization (2009) defined and summarized risk as the probability and/or impact of unfortunate events or the likelihood of loss. It went further to say that risks can be found anywhere from financial markets, project natural causes, securities, industrial processes, health, science experiments and so forth, therefore, risk ought to be managed in order to minimize the realization of unwanted opportunities.
Risk management is defined as a systematic process of identifying and assessing organization risks and taking actions to protect the firm against them (Encyclopedia of management) ISO 3100 (2009), want ahead to defined risk management as the identification, assessment and prioritization of risk followed by coordinated and economical application of resources to minimize, monitor and control the probability and/or impact of unfortunate event or to maximize the realization of opportunities. Risk management is a functional management process or transfer mechanism of identification, evaluation earnings of a business or other enterprise with minimum cost and maximum efficiency.
In a paper presented by “Insurance Training Centre” Ogere Ogun state dated April, 1987 titled “scope of risk management extend beyond mere handling of insurance risk, it does encompasses, the management of all types of risk. Risk management is concerned with formulating some forms of defensive strategy, which takes account of organizational assets and objectives. This price of work will initially examined the various mechanism employed by Anchor Insurance company in the Assessment of risk. These include:
a. Process of identification
c. Monitoring and controlling of such risk
- The Identification of risk will include information on the proposal which reveals the physical and morale hazards of the subject matter of insurance.
- The evaluation of risk views placement of value on the identified risks, which threatens a corporate assets. The monitoring and control of risk highlights the physical and financial control of risk that threatens assets.
The centre piece of this work will be to thoroughly analyze various means of identifying corporate objectives. These will include retention, reduction and transfer of risk. Also, taking steps pre-loss and post loss objectives and the procedure for transfer and reduction of loss. The entire work of this piece will be comprehensively packaged by ascertaining various hazards and inherent liabilities present at the risk and make recommendations based on experts opinion to enable underwriter to decide whether the risk offered is acceptable at standard rate or otherwise. Finally, this work will also suggest ways and means for prudent risk management is respect with those risks that corporate bodies like Anchor Insurance Company as an entity is faced with and bring about reduction to loss exposure.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The major problem of this research work is centered on how to reduce risk in Usmer Water which will in turn enhance its development and also aids its management in successfully achieve their prospective objectives. Furthermore, the research work has communication shows as one of the most important aspect of the challenge. This is because it has to do with management as an efficient means of achieving corporate objectives of small and medium scale business and also the quest to achieving objective and maximizing risk is its most vocal point.
In addition to these challenges and constrains, lack of technical know-how could be said to be another major problems confronting Usmer Water. As an efficient means of achieving corporate objectives does not easily manifest or come to lime light because basic insurance information sometimes does not reach most managers due to their lack of enterprise, and most managers due to their lack of expertise fail to go into research to source for information that will effectively aid the organization in taking a cover against these risk and uncertainties that might come up and pronounce the challenge faced in risk management in Usmer water and also the challenges of insurance practitioners (risk managers) in making Usmer water a better and improved company by providing ways and means of curbing risks in mentioned enterprise so as to improve its development and growth.
1.3 objectives of the Study
1. To find out if there is risk management in Usmer Water.
2. To find out the challenges Usmer Water faced in risk management
3. To examine the contribution of insurance company in managing of risk in Usmer Water.
4. To find out the insurance plan in regards to Usmer Water
5. To ascertained if there is any damage as a result of lack of risk management.
1.4 Research Questions
For the purpose of this study, the following research questions have been proposed by the researcher.
1. Is there insurance management in Usmer Water?
2. What are the challenges faced in risk management in Usmer Water?
3. What are the contributions of this insurance company since the registration of Usmer Water Company?
4. What are the insurance plans like in Usmer Water?
1.5 Research Hypotheses
Ho: There is no significant relationship between risk management and Usmer Water.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between risk challenges and Usmer Water.
Ho: There is no contribution between insurance company and Usmer Water.
Ho: There is no significant insurance policy and Usmer Water
Ho: There is no significant damages in Usmer Water and failures in risk management.
1.6 Significance of the Study
If this project was not intelligible enough it could not have been approved, the project supervisor and the researcher believed that some people will benefit from this project topic when it is properly done. Having know the important role the insurance company play in management of risk in most medium scale businesses, this study is therefore meant to show that is inevitable for a business organization to function without a back-up or support in case something gets wrong in the long run.
However, the important of this research to management of any organization both profit and non-profit organizations, students both graduate and undergraduate will not be over emphasized. Generally, everybody, all business enterprise that want to survive in these ever dynamic business world must learn to plan and associate themselves with insurance company for it serves as a platform of support which they will fall back to in case any risk comes up later in the future.
1.7 Scope of the Study
The area of this study was limited to Usmer Water in no. 2 Hospital Lane, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. The reason this case study was chosen because of its proximity and nearness to the capital city of Uyo which is populated with so many good business and well distribution outlets. Another reason for limiting the study to Uyo was to meet up with time and also to reduce the financial constraints.
1.8 Limitation of the Study
During the time of this research work, there were many impediments I encountered, and such impediments are:
1. Time: This is a major factor I encountered as I was going through this work. There were many responsibilities I had to take care of, such as my class assignment, attending classes, taking test and especially in the areas of data collection and other relevant information which would aid me in writing this project so there was limited.
2. Finance: Inadequate finance has always been a problem to any student especially those who are sponsoring themselves. These research work would have been ready in time had it been I had enough money to acquire all the necessary data needed to complete this research work.
1.9 Definition of Terms
In this area of the research work, certain key words are summarized.
1. Risk: A situation of uncertainty as to the outcome of an event.
2. Risk Management
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECT OF TREASURY SINGLE ACCOUNT ON THE PERFORMANCE OF NIGERIA BANKS (A CASE STUDY OF ZENITH BANK PLC)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The activities of treasury single account are mostly seen among the commercial banks in banking s...Continue Reading »
2. SOURCES OF REVENUE AND EXPENDITURE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA IN DELTA STATE (A CASE STUDY OF STATE NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The study of Local Government in Nigeria is traceable to the traditional political system in the ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Inventory in the form of raw materials, work in progress and finished goods constitutes significa...Continue Reading »
4. BANK SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTES AND OFF BALANCE SHEET ACTIVITIES OF QUOTED DEPOSIT MONEY BANKS IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study assesses the relationship between Bank Specific Attributes and Off balance Sheet Activities of Quoted Deposit Money Banks in Niger...Continue Reading »
5. THE EFFECT OF OVERHEAD COST ON THE SELLING PRICE OF A PRODUCT (A CASE STUDY OF UNILEVER PLC, WARRI BRANCH)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study In view of the cost of manufacturing which involves the conclusion of raw materials to finish goo...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was to assess the significance external auditor‟s in the examination of financial statement of first Bank of Nigeria Plc., Enugu...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Earning is believed to be the most significant item in the financial report because it serves as an indicator of the firm‟s financial perfo...Continue Reading »
8. THE IMPACT OF INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL STANDARDS (IFRS) ON THE QUALITY OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK PLC)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY This study sets out to examine whether the impact of International Financial Reporting Standards...Continue Reading »
9. EVALUATION OF DEPRECIATION METHOD USED BY MANUFACTURING FIRMS AND ITS EFFECTS ON PROFITABILITY (A CASE STUDY OF BETA GLASS PLC, UGHELLI)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Most business have asset which are capital in nature e.g. building motor vehicle, furniture / fit...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Inventories constitute the most significant part of current events of a large majority of compani...Continue Reading »