Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 99 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The scope of governmental auditing has been widened over the year by the demand for independent verification of information to the extent that it can no longer be limited to the audit of financial operations, but value for money audit which ensures that the activities and programs are carried out at low cost and high standard. Lack of commitment in cost efficiency to the overall achievement of goals by the managers in the public sector brought the need of this research work titled “Evaluation of value for money audit as tool for fraud control in the public sector”. The aim was to ascertain whether government auditing achieves the purposes for which programs are authorizes and funds released economically and efficiently in accordance with applicable law and regulations. A survey research design was adopted for the study with sample size of 100 respondents randomly sample and stratified from Audit and finance department of PHCN (Abuja). Three hypotheses were tested at 5% level of significance using the analysis of variance (ANOVA) statistics. it was found that value for money audit play a vital role in promoting the effectiveness and efficiency of activities in the public sector the researcher recommend that government should support the implementation of policies formulated to enhance value for money audit in the public sector.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Every sector of the economy both the private and the public sector has its own objectives and goals to achieve. For the public sector of the economy, their goal is to satisfy the social needs of the citizens and in the effort to achieve these purposes, auditing more often, play a vital role.
The size and scope of these sectors have sometimes made it clear for the executor to exercise personal and first hand supervision of operation. It is in this light that value for money audit established by management is initiated, for any organization to carry out its business efficiently and effectively, there must be some factors that must be put in place for the smooth running of the organization like materials, machines, human labor and money e. t. c.
Auditing is seen to play an intermediary function in between management and the resources of the organization. It is also fundamental to any business either the public or private sector, which will help the business to keep its adequate financial records. These financial records are kept in response to the demand by a system control which requires that the business enterprise must be
carried out in an orderly manner, ensure adherence to management policies, safe guard the assets and secure possibly the completeness and accuracy of the records. Irrespective of these facts of system of control established by the management of the organization, fraud still thrives.
In the early 1970s, the role of the state auditors began to change dramatically. Changes began in USA, Canada, and in several European countries. The representative of the people started demanding information on the efficiency and effectiveness of public expenditure.
In Nigeria no specific legislation has been put in place to empower auditors to carryout value for money audit. However, the 1999 constitution section 88 (2) empowered both the two federal house and the state house of assembly to conduct investigation to expose corruption, inefficiency or waste on the execution or administration of law within the legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of fraud appropriated by it.
Therefore, fraud control has become increasingly important to managers of various governments in an organization. In general, financial statements fraud has always weakened investors’ confidence in both private and public sector
investment. This is because 1 fraud against an organization reduces the net income by 1 and services to be provided to people in the case of public sector.
However, value for money audit will be wildly concerned with the economy and efficiency of an organization and the effectiveness of achieving its desired objective thereby controlling fraud to evaluate the effectiveness of the internal control system within the organization.
(BRIEF REVIEW OF THE FIRM, POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA, P H C
The history of electricity in Nigeria can be dated back to the end of the 19th century when the first generating plant was installed in Lagos in 1898. From then until the 1950, the platform of electricity development was in the form of individual electricity power undertaking scattered all over the towns, some of the few undertaking were federal government bodies under the public works department, some by the native authorities and others by the municipal authorities.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Fraud is a complex phenomenon. It is rampant in both private and public sectors of Nigerian economy. In the public sector, value for money audit reports are mostly unqualified even in a glaring situation or cases of corrupt practice by the managers that means that auditors especially those in public establishment compromise their duties or their duties are influenced and threatened in the performance of their statutory functions.
Therefore these studies tend to find out why there are:
Improper methods of appointment of auditors
Inadequate internal control
Lack of independence of auditors
Untimely and unreliable financial statements
Lack of transparency and inadequate method of accountability
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This study tends to find out some of the objectives which will include:
1. To find out the effect of value for money audit in fraud detection and control in the public sector.
2. To find out the relationship between internal control and fraud detection.
3. To determine what extent is the value for money audit relevant to the effectiveness and control of an organization.
4. To find out why there is lack of transparency and inadequate method of accountability.
5. To find out why there is inadequate internal control system.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
1. Is there any significant effect of value for money audit in fraud detection and control in the public sector?
2. Is there any alignment relationship between internal control and fraud detection?
3. To what extent is the value for money audit relevant to the effectiveness and control of an organization?
4. What are the causes of lack of transparency and inadequate method of accountability?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The imperative of planning with the help of accounting information before the commencement of ope...Continue Reading »
2. COMPARATIVE VALUE RELEVANCE OF ACCOUNTING INFORMATION FOR CONSOLIDATED AND SEPARATE FINANCIAL STATEMENTS IN LISTED FINANCIAL SERVICE FIRMS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION ` 1.1 Background to the study Accounting is the measurement, processing and communication of financial information about econ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work deals with the challenges of internal audit function in the Nigerian public sector with reference to Kaduna state ministry...Continue Reading »
4. FACTORS INFLUENCING THE ATTITUDE OF STUDENTS TOWARDS THE STUDY OF MATHEMATICS IN NIGERIA, USING KATSINA – ALA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, BENUE STATE AS ...» ABSTRACT Students have many different perceptions of mathematics. Most business and athletics leaders will talk about how the individual’s attit...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Stock control is the system used in a firms investment in stock, which involves recording and monitoring of stock level, ...Continue Reading »
6. THE NATURE OF CREDIT MANAGEMENT BEING EMPLOYED IN UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA PLC IDAH BRANCH DURING THE UNDER REVIEW, 1994-2000» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The main aim of setting of any business organization is to maximize profit. This can be achieved through an ef...Continue Reading »
7. THE ROLE OF INTERNAL CONTROL SYSTEM AS AN AID TO MANAGEMENT DECISION MAKING ( A CASE STUDY OF UNILORIN BURSARY DEPARTMENT)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction 1.1 Background to the study Every organization both profit or non profit organization has its objectives and goals in min...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This study is on effectiveness of automated forensic auditing on fraud control in Nigeria. The total population for the study is 200 staff of...Continue Reading »
9. EFFECT OF TREASURY SINGLE ACCOUNT ON MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC SECTOR FUND - FEDERAL SECTOR ESTABLISHMENT IN MAIDUGURI» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY In 2015, Central Bank of Nigeria issued a circular directing all deposit money banks to implement...Continue Reading »
10. INVESTIGATION INTO THE CAUSES OF TAX EVASION IN LAGOS STATE (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SMES IN IKEJA LGA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The concept of taxation has been a concern of global significance as it affects every economy irr...Continue Reading »