Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 66 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Very large organization and some small ones have found a need for internal audit in addition to an external audit. Internal auditors are employee of the organization and work exclusively for the organization. Their functions partly overlap those of the external auditors and in parts are quite different.
The precise function of external auditors are either laid down by statute or embodied in a letter of engagement. The functions are determined by management and vary greatly from organization to organization.
Internal audit defined as an independent appraisal functions established by the management of an organization for the review of the internal control system as a service to the organization. It objectively examines, evaluate, and report on the adequacy of internal control as a contribution to the proper economic, efficient and effective use of resources.
A) Internal audit is thus:
i. Having the scope to arrange his own priorities and activities.
ii. Having unrestricted access to records, asset and personnel’s.
iii. Internal audit personnel with an objective frame of mind set.
iv. Freedom to report to higher management and where it exists to an audit committee.
v. Internal audit personnel who have no conflicts of interest or any restriction placed upon their work by management.
vi. Internal audit personnel have no responsibility for line work or for new system. A person cannot be objective about some things he or she has taken responsibility for. On the other hand the internal audit should be consulted on new or revised system.
vii. Internal audit personnel who have know non audit work.
Since internal auditors employee is difficult to ensure that they are truly independent in mind and attitude.
B) as a service to the organization, the organization, the management requires that:
i. Its policies are fulfilled
ii. The information is required to manage effectively and should be and complete. This information is not only that provided by the accounting system.
iii. The organization assets are safe guard.
iv. The internal control system is well designed.
v. The internal control system work in practices
vi. The internal auditor’s activities will be directed to ensure that these requirements are met.
C) Other duties may include:
i. Being concerned with the implementation of social responsibility policies adopted by top management.
ii. Being concerned with the response of the internal control to errors and requires changes to prevent error.
iii. Being concerned with the response of the internal control system to external stimuli. The world does not stand still and the internal control must continually change.
iv. Acting as a training officer in internal control matters.
v. Auditing the information given to management particularly interim accounts and management accounting report.
vi. Being concerned with compliance with external regulations such as those on the environment, money laundering, financial services, and related parties. etc.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
Internal audit is an integral part of the internal control system of most organizations, at the heart of an organization is the audit function: This is evidenced by the fact that all other departments are linked with internal audit department. The importance of internal audit system cannot be overemphasized, since organizations have recognized internal audit function as a tool for ensuring effective workings of the internal control system.
However, in Nigeria, the audit function in most government parastatalss has not been fully taped. This could be seen in the numerous cases of errors, intent to defraud and other fraudulent acts that exist in the government parastatals.
It is therefore, no wonder that the anguish in such parastatals in the nineties reflected lack of effective control mechanism of the audit function in the organization. The experience of low productivity of some public enterprises in Nigeria has called for reinforcement of audit and the strengthening of the control system in the public sectors. It is against this background that, this study seeks to evaluate the internal audit as a tool for efficient performance in organizations in Nigeria considering the fact that, the public enterprises are critical to the survival of any economy.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
1. To examine the relevance of internal audit in an organization
2. To determine the extent to which internal audit promote the efficient performance of an organization.
3. To examine the impact of internal audit in the achievement of organizational objective.
4. To observe the relationship between internal audit and organizational objectives.
5. To investigate the impact of internal audit meetings on return on assets of organizations
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
This research study will attempt to find answer to the under listed questions, which will obviously provide an insight into the subject of study internal audit and its efficient performance.
i. What qualities would you look for when appointing an auditor?
ii. To whom should an audit report to?
iii. How will the internal auditor carry out their work?
iv. How will the work be reviewed?
v. What are the roles of the organization in receiving report written by an internal auditor?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
Hypothesis can be defined as a tentative statement or assumption, it is the relationship between two or more variables, an idea put forward but not yet validated. In the course of this research work some hypotheses were review. Theses hypothesis will be tested in order to ascertain their validity.
In this research these following hypothesis would be tested.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» Abstract This study was aimed at investigating the communicative implications of Nigerian English usage. It explored, extensively, the peculiarities o...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 123 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
2. THE IMPACT OF INVENTORY MANAGEMENT ON THE PROFITABILITY OF A MANUFACTURING FIRMS (A STUDY OF CHAMPION BREWERIES PLC, UYO)» ABSTRACT Inventory management has posed a great concern to manufacturing firms. This will be attributed to the very nature of inventory as a major con...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 186 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
3. THE CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS OF MARKETING POULTRY AND POULTRY PRODUCTS I N KUMASI. A CASE STUDY OF AKATE FARMS TRADING AND COMPANY LIMITED.» ABSTRACT The poultry industry serves as employment and a source of income to many people but for a long time, marketing has not been critically consid...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 90 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Recession has remained a chronic problem for Nigerian economy for some time. Recession is not a n...Continue Reading »
63 pages | 305 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
5. DEBT RECOVERY TECHNIQUES IN THE BANKING SECTORS ISSUES, PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS (A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK NIG PLC)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Actually, for every successful business, there must be a debt in the sense that one person or customer must own the owner of ...Continue Reading »
54 pages | 284 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
6. A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF THE IMPACT OF INVENTORY VALUATION METHODS ON FINANCIAL REPORT STATEMENT IN SOME MANUFACTURING COMPANIES IN ENUGU STATE» ABSTRACT This research work was conducted on with special reference to the impact inventoryvaluation methods has on financial report statements of man...Continue Reading »
190 pages | 0 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
7. THE IMPACT OF COMMERCIAL BANKS ON DEVELOPMENT OF SMALL SCALE ENTERPRISES IN KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTACT This study examines the performance of Commercial Banks institutions in Kaduna State, based on the development of small and medium Scale indus...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 148 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
8. EVALUTION OF ACCOUNTING SYSTEM IN AKWA IBOM STATE (A STUDY OF IBESIKPO ASUTAN LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA)» ABSTRACT This study appraised the Accounting system in the Local Government Councils in Akwa Ibom State in which Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Coun...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 257 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 Introduction Data Mining (DM) really gained a lot of prominence in the society as it helped make prediction methodologies...Continue Reading »
40 pages | 363 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» Abstract The study determines and establishes the connection between internal auditing and internal control systems on financial performance in an Ins...Continue Reading »
76 pages | 35 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING