Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 111 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦7,000
The study investigated decentralization and local government autonomy and how these factors enhance grassroots development in Liberia. The onerous centralized system of government practiced in Liberia is thought to have impeded development and significantly hindered local participation in decision making. However, it is a litmus test to see if the Decentralization Policy initiated by the Ellen Johnson Sirleaf administration will grant local government the requisite autonomy to engage in development at the local level.
The study adopted a survey research design .The population of the study was the entire population of Liberia with a population of 4.5 million people according to the Liberia Institute of Statistics and Geo-Information 2008 National Census. The largeness of the population compelled the researcher to draw the sample from three counties that were purposively selected and a total of 395 respondents as sample size. The main instrument of the study was questionnaire which was tested with a reliability of 0.88 Cronbach Alpha. A total of 395 questionnaire were administered and 386 of those were retrieved for analysis. Data collected was analyzed with SPSS version 21 through descriptive and inferential statistics.
The findings gathered from the study revealed that the three counties selected, Bong had the highest (56%) respondents, followed by Nimba (35%) and Gbarpolu (9%) respectively and that most respondents had acquired secondary education (51%), followed by Bachelor Degrees (34%) and a few Masters. Also, the findings of the study revealed that Liberia has a centralized system of governance which has impeded development and punctured political participation in decision making. It was disclosed by the findings that decentralization is not an entirely new phenomenon; but its realization has been hampered by lack of defined policy and legislation. Lack of professionals, government’s commitment and political will were identified as some factors that militate against decentralization. Additionally, it was unearthed that the applicability of decentralization is assured as it builds the fiscal, political, economic and decision-making capacities of local sub government. Finally and by no means the least, local government was identified as engines of development because of it nature and proximity to those they represent.
The study concluded that decentralization and local government autonomy are two distinct, but inseparable precursors of grassroots development. The following recommendation were proffered based on the findings: there should be concerted effort for the three branches of the Liberian government should coordinate by increasing budgetary allotment to support the decentralization process and enact or repeal laws that promoted centralization; there should be attractive salaries to lure professionals to the counties and each county should have a university to groom would-be leaders of the county; information regarding implementation of the policy be properly disseminated to suit local consumption and there should be continuity of the policy because most policies died with successive government.
Keywords: Decentralization, Local government, Autonomy, Fiscal, Political,
Economic, Grassroots development
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AS AN AID TO MEANINGFUL INVESTMENT DECISION MAKING (A Case Study Of Investment Firms In Enugu State)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this research project was to find out how financial statement analysis service of our aid to meaning decision by investment fi...Continue Reading »
2. CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF PERSONAL INCOME TAX AS A TOOL TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF BOMADI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study A taxpayer paying his tax regularly should see it as an essential sacrifice one can make towards ...Continue Reading »
3. THE TOPIC AUDIT AND ACCOUNTABILITY IN A PUBLIC SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF THE DELTA STATE POLYTECHNIC OZORO CAMPUS).» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The term audit is derived from the word “Audire” which means to Hear. The origin of audit can be t...Continue Reading »
4. COMPUTERIZED AUDIT SYSTEM: ISSUES, PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS (A CASE STUDY OF AKINTOLA WILLIAMS DELOITTE, ABUJA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Computerized Auditing System: A computer is an electronic device, which works faster than the ord...Continue Reading »
5. INTERNAL CONTROL SYSTEM AS A BASIS OF FRAUD PREVENTION AND CONTROL IN NIGERIA FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC ENUGU ...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY It is feared that the inability of management to ensure effective enforcement of rules and regulation...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Globally, a lot of business organizations have fold up due to lack of liquidity. One of the major means of ensuring liquidity in an organizat...Continue Reading »
7. THE IMPACT OF ACCOUNTING INFORMATION ON THE GROWTH OF SMALL AND MEDIUM BUSINESS (A STUDY OF SUPER PHONE NIGERIA LIMITED, UYO)» ABSTRACT The study was carried out to examine the impact of accounting information on the growth of small and medium business using Super Phone Nig. L...Continue Reading »
8. Assessment of value for money audit as a tool for fraud control in The public sector (A case study of ministry of finance)» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the studyThe Nigerian economy is characterized with stories of malpractice such as stories of ghost workers o...Continue Reading »
9. COST ACCOUNTING AND MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING AS A TOOL FOR PERFORMANCE EVALUATION IN MANUFACTURING COMPANY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Cost accounting (CA), which measures and reports financial and non financial information related ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The researcher embarked upon this study to help small scale business organization in pinpointing some of the need for auditing and investigat...Continue Reading »