Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 59 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Insurance is a security device used by the inured to protect himself against a risk purchased from the insure and the right to be indemnified if the risk should materialize. The purchase price which the insured pays the insurer is known as the premium, often paid on monthly or annually basis and the insurer in return compensate the insured in event of loss.
THE DEVELOPMENT OF INSURANCWE INDUSTRY IN Nigeria begins in 1950 during the colonial era period characterized by a market dominated by Europeans company which virtually held the monopoly of insurance business over the continent of Africa. At that time most Nigerians citizens are not aware of insurance and it importance. After Nigeria independence in 1960 most of the industries managed by the Europeans are been taken over by Nigerians. As they begin to managed those companies, the awareness of insurance and it importance was known.
In the 1980, insurance companies operating in Nigeria begins to grow in numbers and the need to enlighten the citizens on insurance was carried out by some of the employee of those companies. Who went to the street to educate they people on the danger of risk that might occur in many ways, such as fire, theft, accident, rain storms etc. and the responsibility of the insurance is to compensate the unfortunate person who has suffered losses by placing him in the same position as he was before. However, some people agreed to take up an insurance policy but the number of those that patronize the company at that time was very few.
In Nigeria today, most industries and commercial business have insurance cover. This is because insurance ensure the growth and development of all industries and business established and spread all over the country. Apart from business most people don’t insure their houses, cars farms etc. they show reluctant attitude towards taking up insurance policy for such assets and also think it’s a waste of money. Giving great consideration to the above statement, the researcher is compelled to carry out a research on the topic in question an assessment of adequate risk recognition and management in Nigeria insurance companies. In order to re-oriented the people toward changing their attitude and belief about insurance industries.
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The insurance industry over the years has been going through a lot of problems, which hinders their effectiveness and efficient rendering of services. These include.
- Lack of survey of risk transferred by the insurance companies, as such risk are just assumed without properly scrutinizing the situations and circumstance surrounding such risk.
- Lack of adequate claims settlement procedures which are characterized with bureaucracy.
- Lack of proper fixed and computed premiums which endangers the solvency and profitability of the insurance companies.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study?
- To assess hoe insurance companies render their services.
- To determine the effectiveness of how they handle the risk that is being transferred to them.
- To encourage insurance companies to have financial strength that will contain the risk of losses that they have agreed to assure.
1.2 FORMULATION OF HYPOTHESIS
Null hypothesis (Ho( insurance is not a security device used by the insured to protect himself against a risk.
Alternative Hypothesis (H1) insurance is a security device used by the insured to protect himself against a risk.
1.3 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study will be based on risk recognition and management in the insurance industry with specific interest on lead way assurance firm from 2008 to 2010.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
1. The research write up will serve as a source of data for subsequent project and research work.
2. The write up will also help in creating awareness among the insuring public on the relevance and value of the services offered by the insurance industry.
3. The research study shall be an immense reference materials to students and other researchers who might want to expands the research topic.
1.5 HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE CASE STUDY
Leadway Assurance company limited was in corporate in 1970 as a limited liability company. The company started it operation as a direct motor insurance company and further expanded in the early 80’s to cover more risk.
The company’s remarkable success has been possible as a result of its sound professional and business standards backed by the uncompromising level of integrity of its Directors. Such uncompromising level of integrity was instilled by it late founder sir (DR) Hassan .O. Odukale as an honest businessman, the founding managing Director sir Odukale nurtured the company to an eviable position in the Nigeria insurance industry. Leadway is a private company with 28 share inventors and trust corporation. The statutory deposit of leadway with the C.B.N as at 2002 stands at over 13.5 million being 15% of their statutory paid up capital as provided by pre 2003 insurance act. This further affirms their position as a full fledge composite insurance company under writing all classes of insurance in Nigeria.
The company, however announced it achievement of 5.5 billion capital base as at April 30, 32006 which implied that the company has already met the statutory of N5 billion capitalizations for composite firms. The company authorized share capital has raise from 2 billion to 4 billion in order to meet statutory requirements and accommodate increasing need for higher capital structure. The increase as given the company the necessary leeway to keep increase its paid up capital steadily and also enable it to accommodate new investors.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Proposal forms: This is a document that is drafted by the insurer to seek answers to the main materials aspect of the risk that will be insured.
- Premium: This is an amount that the insured pays at every month ort annually to the insurer
- Proximate Cause: It used to determine whether the loss sustained by the insurer was cased by the risked insured against.
- Cover: Protection provided by the insurance company to the insured against a risk.
- Indemnity: This is process whereby the insurance company compensates the insured in the event of loss.
- Insurer: An insurer is the insurance company who managed risk that was insured.
Re-Insurance:Is a process whereby the insurance transfer part of the risk it assumed to another insurance company.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE IMPACT OF CREDIT MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL ON COMMERCIAL BANKS STABILITY IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF SKYE BANK PLC, OSOGBO)» ABSTRACT This research work is based on the impact of credit management and control on commercial bank stability. In fact credit management determines...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 148 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The world class has embraced the phenomenon of sourcing and companies have adopted its principles...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 119 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
3. TEACHERS’ MOTIVATION AS A TOOL FOR EFFECTIVE SECONDARY SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION IN EZZA NORTH L.G.A OF EBONYI STATE» Abstract This study examines teachers’ motivation as a tool for effective secondary school administration in Ezza North L.G.A. Ebonyi State. Fou...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 87 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
4. DEBT RECOVERY TECHNIQUES IN THE BANKING SECTORS ISSUES, PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS (A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK NIG PLC)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Actually, for every successful business, there must be a debt in the sense that one person or customer must own the owner of ...Continue Reading »
54 pages | 251 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
5. PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF AUDITING IN GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL MORTGAGE BANK ENUGU STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Government organization have played a greater part in the economic growth of any economy, especia...Continue Reading »
88 pages | 74 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
6. THE USEFULNESS OF FINANCIAL STATEMENT IN ASSUASIVE THE PERFORMANCE COMPANIES AND IN GUIDING INVESTMENT DECISIONS (A CASE STUDY OF SUNRISE FLOUR MILL L...» ABSTRACT The use of financial statement in any business organization cannot be over emphasized financial statements are needed by variety of people fo...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 318 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT The aim of this study was to determine application of new media in Radio Niger, Minna. The study adopted survey research design using questio...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 466 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACTThe accountants the business and the economy are inseparable. They are mostly needed in resolving various conflicting investment decision, ini...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 159 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT The study analyzed gender stereotype in select Nigerian home videos, specifically with a view to finding out how men and women are stereotype...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 188 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
10. AVAILABILITY OF LABORATORY FACILITIES FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF ACCOUNTING IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN ENUGU NORTH» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY 1.1 Background of the Study Secondary schools offering accounting face enormous challenges. Teachers ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 137 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING