Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 46 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This study was to examine the impact of auditing on accountability and efficiency in public sector with a particular reference to Ministry of Finance, Uyo. Several researches conducted to ascertain how audited financial statement aid in the effectiveness of public sector accountability. Thus, the desire to find out whether auditing function in the public sector is effectively carried out. To achieve this aim, four research questions and two research hypotheses were formulated to guide the study. Questionnaire was used as the main instrument for data collection from 85 staff of the ministry and sample size of 70. The data collected from the respondents were analyzed using simple percentage and correlational analysis statistical tool. The results revealed that Ministry of Finance, Uyo do audited their financial statement annually and auditors play a significant role in Ministry of Finance for organization effectiveness. The study concluded with recommendations that officers should be allowed to do the work of receiving paying in the treasuring, training and retraining should be conducted regularly in order to strengthen the accounting officers in their duties.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Every business has Accounting system by which transactions are processed and records of those transactions are maintained. Business decisions of many kinds are based on, at least in part, on accounting data. These accounting data are further drawn and presented in some forms of financial statements which are required by many users for decision making.
Decisions may be made for various purpose and they vary from one business to another. Internal control provides assurance and dependability of the financial statements used in making decision, hence, there is need for auditing of financial statement, Auditing therefore is made to determine whether persons in positions of fiscal responsibility in government and commerce are acting and reporting in an honest manner.
Auditing is one of the many services provided by the accounting profession and may be performed for different purposes. According to “Attwood and Stein” (2000 p. 21) “Audit is defined as an independent examination of an expression of opinion on the financial statement of an enterprise by an appointed auditor in pursuance of that appointment and in compliance with the relevant statutory obligations”.
Also “Ganakar and Bar” (2002:67) defined audit as “a critical investigation to arrive at sound conclusion about the financial and operating aspect of an economic entity.” It is further explained that a critical investigation implies on orderly accumulation of evidence and sound conclusions imply understanding and interpretation of the financial statement presented.
Again auditing is concerned with the independent verification of the results of operations of an entity. Given, the above definitions and explanation, it could be inferred that auditing is an independent appraisal activity of an organization for the review of accounting finance and other operations as a basis for managerial control.
There are basically four types of audit namely:
(i) Statutory audit
(ii) Private audit
(iii) Internal audit
(iv) Management audit
The ministry of finance plays a vital role in the overall planning, controlling and disbursement of government funds, for the day to day running of the state administration. Basically, these functions are carried out by various departments in the ministry the departments: personnel, finance and supplies, planning, research and statistics, office of the Accountant general.
The personnel department is headed by a director and its functions include appointment, promotion and discipline of staff and other staff welfare matters. The department of finance and supplies is headed by director, whose functions include provision of finance management information to the ministry of decision making.
Planning, research and statistics department is headed by a deputy director research into various aspects of government finances and economy while executive director is in charge of ministry of finance incorporated.
The office of the Accountant general is headed by Accountant general whose functions include provision of efficient Accounting services to the government and advising on financial matters. At the helm of affairs in the ministry is the Chief Executive called Honourable Commissioner for Finance while the Chief Accounting Officer is the Permanent Secretary.
In general, this ministry takes charge to disbursement of funds to ministries, departments, boards and parastatals for payment of staff salaries and wages, pensions and statistics.
The main focus of this research state, it is the intention of the researcher to study the impact audit could create on public sector accounting system in Akwa Ibom State.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
State ministries are characterized by colossal waste and inefficient application of financial resources inspite of built in controls system and the existence office the State Auditor – General whose responsibility is to review the operations of ministries and report to public Accounts Committee of the State House of Assembly.
This study focuses on the ministry of finance which is the clearing house for all financial and accounting matters in the state. The department of audit was also brought into focus being a statutory unit with powers to appraise the financial operation periodically.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The following are the objective of the study:
(i) To find out whether auditing function in the public sector is effectively carried out.
(ii) To evaluate the effectiveness or otherwise of the internal controls system in the ministries.
(iii) To find out whether proper works of accounts are being maintained in the ministries.
(iv) To examine whether actions are taken on Audit Reports submitted by the office of Auditor-General of State.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
The following research questions were formulated to guide the researcher.
1) Does auditor examine accounting records kept in your ministry?
2) Is there any internal Audit unit in your establishment?
3) Does Auditors play their roles effectively in ministry of Uyo?
4) How often are financial records audited in your ministry?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
H0: Auditing does not have significant impact on government establishment.
H1: Auditing has significant impact on government establishments.
H0: Auditors do not play their roles in government organization effectively.
H1: Auditors play their roles in government organizations effectively.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study was undertaken with the hope that the findings and recommendations would be of benefits to:
(i) The ministry of finance in Akwa Ibom State being the custodian of Government funds.
(ii) Heads of other ministries and staff.
(iii) The department of audit in particular, by assessing and evaluating the performance of their functions as required their accounting system of government.
(iv) Government of Akwa Ibom State in the overall management of funds.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study was limited to the ministry of finance Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. The researcher would have extended the data source to other ministries but for the financial and time constraints. The study focuses mainly on the impact of auditing on accountability and efficiency management in the public sector.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Certain factors impose limitations on the conduct of this study. The respondent’s attitude, bureaucratic processes in getting data from the ministry couple with inadequate funds in making surveys were some of limitations which the researcher encountered.
1.9 DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
The following terms used in the research work are defined and explained thus:
AUDIT: Audit is defined as the mechanism with the process of accountability where the resources of an organization is checked on monitored by or on behalf of interest parties.
IMPACT: Impact is a force exerted by one object against another strong impression or effect.
INTERNAL CONTROL: This is the collections of organization and policies, procedures rules and regulations, formulated by management to guide the performance of staff and secure compliance with health standards.
ACCOUNTING CONTROL: This is the nature of internal control that can directly affect the reliability of accounting records and financial statement.
FRAUD: Fraud is an act usually done by employee involving the theft, misappropriation or embezzlement of the company’s funds usually in the form of cash or its other assets.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. IMPACT OF SUSTAINABILITY REPORTING ON CORPORATE PERFORMANCE OF SELECTED QUOTED COMPANIES IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The principal objective of this research is to ascertain the Impact of Sustainability Reporting on Corporate Performance of Selected Quoted C...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 57 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
2. THE IMPACT OF PUBLIC SECTOR ACCOUNTING IN NIGERIA FINANCIAL CONTROL SYSTEM» ABSTRACT This research was aimed at finding out the impact of public sector accounting in Nigeria financial control system using Esan south east local...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 68 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
3. MULTINATIONAL CORPORATION AND TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT A STUDY OF NIGERIAN BOTTLING COMPANY PLC NGWO ENUGU» ABSTRACT The total quality of management is a philosophy of management that is driven by the constant attainment of customer satisfaction through the ...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 87 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
4. MICROORGANISM ASSOCIATED WITH SPOILAGE OF TOMATOES (CANNED TOMATOES)» ABSTRACT The micro organism, associated with spoilage of tomatoes shows that tomato contain large amount of water which makes them more susceptible to...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 33 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
5. PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF AUDITING IN GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Government organization have played a greater part in the economic growth of any economy, especia...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 63 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
6. THE EFFECT OF STAFF MOTIVATION ON WORKER’S PRODUCTIVITY. (A CASE STUDY OF BENUE STATE POLYTECHNIC, UGBOKOLO)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Motivation has been a bottleneck before management in the past two centuries, due to constraints ...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 52 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
7. ALLOCATION OF FUNDS ACROSS EXPENDITURE HEADS IN THE NIGERIAN PUBLIC TEACHING HOSPITALS (A CASE STUDY OF LAGOS UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL, LAGOS)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Health care services are one of the cardinal services any government must provide for its citizenry. ...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 88 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
8. AUDITING AS A TOOL FOR ENSURING ACCOUNTABILITY (A CASE STUDY OF EFFIMA PETROLEUM NIGERIAN LIMITED, EKET AND E. OKON VENTURE, IKOT EKPENE)» ABSTRACT This study sought to assess Auditing as a Tool for Ensuring Accountability in Effima Petroleum Nigeria Limited, Eket and E. Okon Ventures, Ik...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 52 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
9. The problems and possible solutions of teaching and learning of geography effectively in secondary schools» ABSTRACT The purpose of this research was to investigate teachers’ professional proficiency in terms of geography as a subject and English as th...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 60 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
10. EFFECTS OF BUDGETING AND BUDGETARY CONTROL IN EXTRACTING INDUSTRY (A Case Study Of Shell Corperation Of Nigeria)» Abstract The main aim of this write up is to throw more light on the review of budgeting control in a extracting industry. This research purely base o...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 61 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT