Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
In our world today, the geometric increase of the population has raised alarming concerns on the food security to sustain the teeming population (Sridhar, 2007). The worse hit is developing countries in Africa, especially Nigeria that still lacks the capacity to manage food production tasks arising from the current global warming and other environmental changes. The few food products usually lack adequate proteins, essential fatty acids and vitamins leading to the common form of malnutrition in individuals.
Interestingly, unconventional legumes are promising in terms of nutrition, provisions of food security, agricultural development and in crop rotation in developing countries (Sridhar, 2007). The wild legume varieties have different quantities of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, lipid/fatty acids and minerals.
Mucuna pruriens var.utilis is a tropical legume of the family Fabaceae and genus Mucuna. Some of its common names are Agbara (Igbo), Yerepe (Yoruba), Mauritius bean, cow itch, cow hage, Jackbohne (German). Velvet bean is an annual perennial, herbaceous, vigorous climbing vine that growso 3-18cm in height. It is indigenous of the tropical regions especially Africa, India and the West Indies. Its pods are sigmoid, turgid, longitudinally ribbed and always clustered on the stem and the pods are covered with reddish-orange hairs that dislodge readily causing intense irritation on the skin. The pods contain seeds that are black or white (Siddhuraju, 2000; Leslie, 2005; Sridhar, 2007).
The oil contents of Mucuna seed may be edible and consist of different fatty acid which is a characteristic identify of most oil seeds. The chemical composition of an oil extract gives a qualitative identification of such oil in selection of areas while it can be applied or utilized despite differences in processing and extraction of the oil (Ofoegbu, - 2006).
The aim of this work thus is to extract the oil from the white seeds of Mucuna pruriens var. utilis, characterize it and determine the applicability, based on the quantities, in industries such beverage, pharmaceutical and/or soap manufacturing.
1.2 OBJECTIVE OF STUDY
This work was inspired by the need to find alternative sources of good oils for human utilization in industries.
1.3 SCOPE OF WORK
This work is intended:
(1) To determine the percentage of oil content of white seeds of Mucuna pruriens var.utilis
(2) To determine the moisture contents of the seeds used
(3) To characterize, by obtaining the physio-chemical properties of the oil
(4) To suggest possible industry the oil can be utilized based on the results and the information provided in literature on oils.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PETROLEUM ENGINEERING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0. INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY There has been an increase in the world production of oilseeds over the last thirty years (...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 Background of Study In the production system, Pressure drop has been a major issue in the field. These pressure drops cou...Continue Reading »
3. COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF VOID FRACTION CORRELATIONS FOR HIGH VISCOSITY OIL DATA IN HORIZONTAL PIPELINE» 1 INTRODUCTION The oil and gas industry is increasingly looking towards unconventional resources like heavy oil to help satisfy world energy demand as...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 Introduction Cellulose is the name given to a long chain of atoms consisting of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen arranged in a particular m...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The aim of this project is to remediate oil contaminated soil with the use of surfactants. During the process of remediation, the chemical/ph...Continue Reading »
» LIST OF FIGURES Figure Page Figure 3.1: Schematics of the Reservoir model . 5 LIST OF ABBREVIATIONS API American Petroleum Institute EOR Enhanced Oil ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work mainly investigates the development and the behavior of cones (both water and gas cones) in oil reservoirs supported by st...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT In this work, the production of biodiesel via reactive distillation process has been modelled and simulated with the aid of ChemCAD for both ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT A production engineer is responsible for generating the production forecast for a well or a field. Once production drops from the peak or pla...Continue Reading »
10. MODIFICATION OF SURFACE, PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF ACTIVATED CARBONS FOR WATER PURIFICATION» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 ORIGIN AND NATURE OF ACTIVATED CARBON Carbon is the fifteenth most abundant element in the earth’s crust and the fo...Continue Reading »